Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The low point of One Piece is whenever Rob Lucci was on screen after the reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Skypiea arc is always an easy skip when I re-read One Piece from time to time, drags on waaaay too long

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Water 7/Enies Lobby is one of the strongest arcs for sure, but I also loved Impel Down/Marineford and the way they brought back multiple characters from Luffy's rogue's gallery (as useful temporary allies!) while also introducing new allies.

That moment when Luffy & co drop from the sky and join the war is one of my favourite scenes in all of One Piece.

And of course the farewell to Bon Clay is heartbreaking.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love the Jaya/Skypeia arcs. The adventure aspect had never felt quite as strong as those two arcs, and there's so many really good moments like the Bellamy fight and Enel realizing that Luffy is immune to him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Skypeia owns, big funtime adventure and then Luffy beats up Eminem.

Also Blackbeard debuts and sets the tone for his character almost immediately (RIP Log Raft Of Doom).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

frajaq posted:

Skypiea arc is always an easy skip when I re-read One Piece from time to time, drags on waaaay too long

It has some pacing issues, similarly to Dressrosa.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A good half of OP's arcs have pacing issues tbf.

Granted the post-timeskip arcs skew that a little but it's still the case.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

A lot of arcs feel like one of those JRPG boss battles where you think you're reaching the end but then they reveal their final form and you realize you were two thirds of the way through at absolute best. Maybe half.

And I mean it's not bad, I'm here for that crazy final stretch. It just ends up feeling kind of exhausting after a certain point.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I never got the skypeia hate, Enel was always one of my favorite villains and the backstory of Shandora being connected to the void century was really interesting. Still sad Enel is off on the moon and won't ever come back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
SMILEs are zoan fruits, the human human fruit is a zoan fruit. What's the chance that we see a human gifter in this arc? "Man man, the human SMILE user"

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 29, 2020

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Spanish Matlock posted:

SMILEs are zoan fruits, the human human fruit is a zoan fruit. What's the chance that we see a human gifter in this arc? "Man man, the human SMILE user"

Kaido would probably throw it out because he's only interested in things that give his underlings beastly strength or abilities

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Picking a best One Piece arc is hard, there are too many good choices!

Picking a worst though? Now that's easy. gently caress Dressrosa.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm really not fond of Fishman Island.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Even though it was far from my favourite, I can at least still remember several funny goofs and good moments from Dressrosa.
Can't say the same for fishman land. But it's probably been many many years since I read that one.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Thriller Bark is my favorite arc, but that could just be nostalgia from picking up the manga there when I caught up on the anime.

It's a badly hurt old man...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Libra posted:

Even though it was far from my favourite, I can at least still remember several funny goofs and good moments from Dressrosa.
Can't say the same for fishman land. But it's probably been many many years since I read that one.

Making the Sanji nosebleeds into an actual plot point is probably the worst thing that was ever in One Piece.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's many things that are way worse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Otohime/Fish Tiger plot is good and Hody Jones roiding up and still getting the crap beat out of him because he's still just a punk is great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Roth posted:

I'm really not fond of Fishman Island.

I feel like every arc post-timeskip has been in pretty tight contest for "the worst" in its own right. They've usually got some cool stuff in them, but they're also really brought down hard by meandering pace or really bewildering, off-kilter ideas like;

Roth posted:

Making the Sanji nosebleeds into an actual plot point is probably the worst thing that was ever in One Piece.

After Fishman island was Punk Hazard I think? Which has been pretty well addressed in this thread but I wasn't a huge fan of the body swap stuff because outside of its initial comedic reaction it doesn't really do much. Then there's Dressarosa which started off neat and had some cool fights, but really suffered from having so many plothreads just going every which way and its resolution feeling a bit empty. The only one of the major plot arcs post-timeskip that don't have at least one major element that really beat it down for me would probably be whole cake which I remember enjoying pretty thoroughly from start to finish.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The worst part of Fishman Island is that it takes ages to get going. There's a decent stretch of just exploring the island with nothing happening and it's super dull. But once the crew's all together and things begin to occur it's all pretty solid stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Raposa posted:

Thriller Bark is my favorite arc, but that could just be nostalgia from picking up the manga there when I caught up on the anime.

It's a badly hurt old man...

Just casually walking over and pushing the zombie back into the ground is my favourite op joke

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Fish man island was meh but the way the straw hats stomped everyone was great (Brooks fight especially that squid guy fight was amazing)

Dresrosa started great but then birdcage happened and it went straight to the bottom for me

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I feel like every arc post-timeskip has been in pretty tight contest for "the worst" in its own right. They've usually got some cool stuff in them, but they're also really brought down hard by meandering pace or really bewildering, off-kilter ideas like;

After Fishman island was Punk Hazard I think? Which has been pretty well addressed in this thread but I wasn't a huge fan of the body swap stuff because outside of its initial comedic reaction it doesn't really do much. Then there's Dressarosa which started off neat and had some cool fights, but really suffered from having so many plothreads just going every which way and its resolution feeling a bit empty. The only one of the major plot arcs post-timeskip that don't have at least one major element that really beat it down for me would probably be whole cake which I remember enjoying pretty thoroughly from start to finish.

I'd argue that only really applies until we get to Zou.

Zou felt like what the New World should've been from the start and I loved how Oda played with his usual storytelling format, I loved the Minks who feel like the most natural inclusion of all the species in the story and I loved Jack as the villain, with the ultimate payoff of him getting curbstomped in one second after everything he did.

If Punk Hazard was as short as Zou was, I think it would have been better for it. Instead it dragged out something fierce and then goes into Dressrosa which is just this gigantic slog to read through, with a villain that just won't go down due to bullshit powers that even an Admiral can't stop.

But my favorite pick will always be Skypiea. That Noland flashback is just something else and the pure adventure is just something we never saw again.

Jose posted:

Just casually walking over and pushing the zombie back into the ground is my favourite op joke

It would be this and the Afro Luffy monologue for me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Strelok604 posted:

Kaido would probably throw it out because he's only interested in things that give his underlings beastly strength or abilities

I thought the point of SMILEs was that nobody knew what they did until they ate them, which is why you have the insane laughing people who "lost the bet"

Even still, the SMILEs aren't perfect Zoans, you get stuff like permanent ostrich legs or a tiger head on top of your own head, so a human SMILE would just be some body horror stuff like an extra leg growing out of your chest

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all the arcs are good but dressrosa has the most parts i wouldn't want to read again and fishman island has the most characters i don't really remember

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
My favorite arc is always the current arc. I love one piece

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Dressrosa has a multi-panel two-page spread of just screaming and faces of horror and I think it's one of the funniest moments in all of One Piece.
Also one of my favourite dumb visual gags: Sugar's eyes pop out and shatter the lens of her monocle. It stays shattered for the rest of her appearances.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Strelok604 posted:

I never got the skypeia hate, Enel was always one of my favorite villains and the backstory of Shandora being connected to the void century was really interesting. Still sad Enel is off on the moon and won't ever come back.

The section between them entering the forest and the start of the fight with Ohm is pretty slow. Satori in particular takes too long for what it is.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I recently re-read Punk Hazard for the first time and I struggle to understand the point of Zoro's fight. Tashigi was completely right in that, from her perspective, Zoro doesn't want to cut down women. Which is antithetical to Zoro as a character. The idea of freaking out a logia so much they can't even reconstitute is cool, but it defeats the purpose of the fight.

in my opinion, the purpose of the fight is to show Zoro has not overcome the skeleton in his closet of never being able to surpass Kuina. He can't fight women because he's still not over it. It's not antithetical to his character at all, it's a major flaw that he's probably going to have to face someone like that again, and he might not just be able to overpower them without actually fighting to win.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zoro will defeat Shiryuu and a flight of stairs at the same time, completing his journey.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Can't believe I'm seeing all this Punk Hazard hate when it gave us the Yeti Cool Brothers, everyone's favorite characters

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one of them has a moai head for a face

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Still my favorite gag

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The thing about picking the "worst" arc of One Piece is that there's really good stuff in every single arc.

That said, it's obvious Fishman Island, I mean c'mon. The villains were so lame and it lasted twice as long as it should have.

My go-to for best is Water 7/Enies Lobby, but honestly Whole Cake Island might have overtaken it. It had a similar thing where it was long, but kept shifting focus and throwing in new characters and plot twists at such a pace that it never felt long. Oda was really firing on all cylinders from beginning to end.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Asuron posted:

I'd argue that only really applies until we get to Zou.

Zou felt like what the New World should've been from the start and I loved how Oda played with his usual storytelling format, I loved the Minks who feel like the most natural inclusion of all the species in the story and I loved Jack as the villain, with the ultimate payoff of him getting curbstomped in one second after everything he did.

If Punk Hazard was as short as Zou was, I think it would have been better for it. Instead it dragged out something fierce and then goes into Dressrosa which is just this gigantic slog to read through, with a villain that just won't go down due to bullshit powers that even an Admiral can't stop.
I like Zou a lot too. The characters didn't have these deeply tragic backstories we had to be super serious about, the cat and dog were funny and relatable and admirable, and they were beaten brutally by Jack without getting totally humiliated like in Dressrosa.

My favorite by far though is Impel Down. I read it again and the three simultaneous prison riots (blackbeard breaking in, buggy freeing everyone on floor 2, and luffy breaking up from floor 6) happening simultaneously and all being relevant to Magellan was the most successful of the parallel crazy situations you see in every arc. Recurring characters were a rarity up to that point and the Jinbei/Ivankov/Crocodile/Luffy team-up is still the craziest and most exciting one for me. It had some of the best interactions of devil fruits in the series with Mr 3 saving the day, and ofc the ending with Mr 2 is the best ever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As someone who recently read through the whole series in one sitting, it's weird comparing my thoughts on best/worst compared to the rest of the thread, who presumably read most of the series week-to-week. Like, fishman island felt very short and the birdcage stuff just felt like it was part of the final fight vs Doflamingo - neither felt like they dragged on much longer than they needed to. They weren't great or anything, but they definitely didn't feel like they dragged on. The colosseum bit definitely felt like it dragged longer than the birdcage.

Y'know what DID feel like it dragged on? Marineford. It was amazing seeing all the built up plot threads clashing together, but it's just chapter after chapter after chapter of "Luffy's running towards Ace! Oh, now there's an admiral in the way, but it's okay because someone else is going to fight him so Luffy can keep going! Oh no, now there's ANOTHER admiral in the way!" repeat for what feels like forever. Like I said, real cool, but definitely felt like it dragged on. Punk Hazard admittedly suffered from this much worse (wandering through snow forever, running through the lab forever, etc) but I just never really see people criticize Marineford for this. Maybe because it was so hype going week to week during it?

Honestly, I feel like arguing which is the "worst" arc is kinda pointless. All the arcs are good, some are just better than others.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who recently read through the whole series in one sitting, it's weird comparing my thoughts on best/worst compared to the rest of the thread, who presumably read most of the series week-to-week. Like, fishman island felt very short and the birdcage stuff just felt like it was part of the final fight vs Doflamingo - neither felt like they dragged on much longer than they needed to. They weren't great or anything, but they definitely didn't feel like they dragged on. The colosseum bit definitely felt like it dragged longer than the birdcage.

Y'know what DID feel like it dragged on? Marineford. It was amazing seeing all the built up plot threads clashing together, but it's just chapter after chapter after chapter of "Luffy's running towards Ace! Oh, now there's an admiral in the way, but it's okay because someone else is going to fight him so Luffy can keep going! Oh no, now there's ANOTHER admiral in the way!" repeat for what feels like forever. Like I said, real cool, but definitely felt like it dragged on. Punk Hazard admittedly suffered from this much worse (wandering through snow forever, running through the lab forever, etc) but I just never really see people criticize Marineford for this. Maybe because it was so hype going week to week during it?

Honestly, I feel like arguing which is the "worst" arc is kinda pointless. All the arcs are good, some are just better than others.

I felt that way about Marineford at the time, honestly. It's really repetitive, and didn't hold a candle to how much fun Impel Down was.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Thriller Bark and Impel Down are the only two arcs that Igo back to every once in awhile. The anime isn't unbearably terrible at that point, so I watch them every once in a while.

I think the only pre-timeskip arcs that I haven't ever had the urge to go check out again are Usopp's village and the Foxy encounter. Mostly because the only thing I find less annoying that pre-Sogeking Usopp is Foxy and his crew.

Actually I have watched the Sanji/Zoro Davey Back team up fight a few times. I like it when they're so annoyed by someone they stop fighting with each other for a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Funky Valentine posted:

Zoro will defeat Shiryuu and a flight of stairs at the same time, completing his journey.

he will turn invisible so zoro thinks he is fighting the stairs the whole time