Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that should be interesting to see how Trump forces people back to work. If they're really so hosed with all of their workers out sick, then like.... wtf are they supposed to do?

Exactly what they did do. Make an announcement that the supply chain is breaking and to be ready to not eat McDonald burgs anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ahh nevermind

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

r u ready to WALK posted:

Americans gonna start eating their pets before they give up that bacon

If the end result of this pandemic is that Americans start buying wild-caught animals from illicit wet markets like it's a goddamn meat prohibition I'm going to be amused but also angry

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Rolo posted:

Do any projected shortages affect milk and eggs?

I can take or leave meat but losing those two would be a big hit to a lot of stuff I cook.

There's already hiccups in the milk supply chain. They've been throwing out milk because they couldn't ship it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Chomp8645 posted:

"No meat" is not even a forecasted problem. It's just "less meat".

Have your family each get a half a porkchop with dinner instead of a whole chop each. Once a week make a stir fry with tofu instead, keep eating meat the rest of the week. Wow gosh golly gee what a loving dystopian nightmare we're living in!!!

Finally, Americans can once again ask "where's the beef?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If the end result of this pandemic is that Americans start buying wild-caught animals from illicit wet markets like it's a goddamn meat prohibition I'm going to be amused but also angry

Huh, you know this bat tastes pretty drat good if you stew it long enough

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that should be interesting to see how Trump forces people back to work. If they're really so hosed with all of their workers out sick, then like.... wtf are they supposed to do?

Slavery probably lmao

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
E; wrong thread

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Colonel Cancer posted:

Slavery probably lmao

I was thinking legalized scabs but yeah prison labour could work too

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm pretty sure people eating roadkill has been a thing in many places in America for a while now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been low key thinking of quitting all red meat for the last few months. Outside of the occasional burger or burrito I don’t really eat it or keep it at home anyways.

Chicken is so easy and tuna is like right there ready to go.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’ve been low key thinking of quitting all red meat for the last few months. Outside of the occasional burger or burrito I don’t really eat it or keep it at home anyways.

Chicken is so easy and tuna is like right there ready to go.

Tuna is pretty high in heavy metals. Sardines or sprats are a pretty good alternative.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Why is it so much worse in the US? No European country had shortages beyond short term shocks caused by hoarding. And deaths per million are 50-400% higher in several European countries.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

NihilismNow posted:

Why is it so much worse in the US? No European country had shortages beyond short term shocks caused by hoarding. And deaths per million are 50-400% higher in several European countries.

Incompetent leadership who have mismanaged every aspect of the crisis.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Less people more meat for all. Meat is destructive towards the planet but I’m selfish and do not wish to eat less meat.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

COVID-420 posted:

Incompetent leadership who have mismanaged every aspect of the crisis.

but also, way more extensive and lengthy supply chains.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

NihilismNow posted:

It's because we're literally all idiots who are all so greedy, shortsighted, and indolent, that we just assume that everything will be fine and that the disease will miraculously just go away.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i have to work with p much 50/50 american and european vendors at work and the americans are always like borderline mentally challenged and working by the hour and the europeans always show up on salary or paid by the job with their own beautiful tools, do the thing in 2 hours, leave and go on to the next job, and are just like 500x smarter and also generally about half the price bc they use fewer, better people. northern europeans anyway

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

shovelbum reminding us that we haven't talked about killing cats in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47floRRAFs

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah the us is uh kinda big.

That said not hearing of the same problems yet in Canada which is even bigger and with a more diffuse population so I guess we have that to look forward to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NihilismNow posted:

-Zero federal leadership. If anything they have been actually hurting things.
-Every state is doing something different

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Famethrowa posted:

Almost forgot that America was exceptional, thank you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Zero federal leadership. If anything they have been actually hurting things.
-Every state is doing something different

Yeah. Even a half-competent upper echelon could have enacted some sweeping measures. Instead we get our big wet boy talking about how many tests there are, screaming at reporters asking the softest of softballs, and general whining about how everyone is so unfair.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

COVID-420 posted:

Almost forgot that America was exceptional, thank you.

please buy a map someday you'll learn some neat stuff like "the US is a stupidly gigantic country"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

13Pandora13 posted:

The cool thing about, for example, the Smithfield class action suit https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/smithfield-foods-sued-over-working-conditions-missouri-during-coronavirus-n1191796 is that very little media is reporting the fact that the suit isn't seeking money...

And the President is literally seeking to protect the companies from suits of this nature across the board.

Smithfield Foods is one of the most cartoonishly evil megacorps in the US. Their hog farms/toxic waste pits/poo poo ponds cover pretty much the entire eastern half of North Carolina from I95 to the coast and are primarily responsible for the biohazard dumping and resulting algal blooms that occasionally wipe out all marine life on the NC coast. And despite the massive loss of coastal income and livelihoods nobody gives a poo poo because they're so well paid-up with GOP politicians in the legislature. gently caress them forever.

There's a great article out there about some investigative journalist visiting their poisoned hellscape and struggling to breathe even while flying overhead in a helicopter. It's some real Upton Sinclair poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

NihilismNow posted:

and this

Time_pants posted:

It's because we're literally all idiots who are all so greedy, shortsighted, and indolent, that we just assume that everything will be fine and that the disease will miraculously just go away.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Puerto Rico disaster recovery handling was the first warning of many

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Did a bunch of Irish actually die from a potato famine or is that just an exaggeration? Just wondering how America will fare with a chicken nugget famine.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Less people more meat for all. Meat is destructive towards the planet but I’m selfish and do not wish to eat less meat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who's ready to party on May 1 when the US opens back up!?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh boy its a weekend too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5bRJ9BaTF8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The UK just changed the way they're reporting COVID-19 deaths, previously they were only counting verified hospital deaths reported by the NHS but they just decided to include all the deaths that weren't in NHS hospitals so their official count suddenly leapt from 21,678 COVID-19 deaths to 26,097.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/about

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

That's ...... a bit of a surge

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

shovelbum posted:

i have to work with p much 50/50 american and european vendors at work and the americans are always like borderline mentally challenged and working by the hour and the europeans always show up on salary or paid by the job with their own beautiful tools, do the thing in 2 hours, leave and go on to the next job, and are just like 500x smarter and also generally about half the price bc they use fewer, better people. northern europeans anyway

There's a fun story about Toyota choosing Canada over the US for a new plant, partly because of universal healthcare, partly because American workers were borderline illiterate.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah the us is uh kinda big.

That said not hearing of the same problems yet in Canada which is even bigger and with a more diffuse population so I guess we have that to look forward to.

The biggest outbreaks in Alberta are coming from 2 meat packing plants so that's cool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I was hoping this was a clip from Babylon 5

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The UK just changed the way they're reporting COVID-19 deaths, previously they were only counting verified hospital deaths reported by the NHS but they just decided to include all the deaths that weren't in NHS hospitals so their official count suddenly leapt from 21,678 COVID-19 deaths to 26,097.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/about

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

That's ...... a bit of a surge

Lmao limey fucks think they can just try and catch up by changing the rules :sad:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

My friend who was stuck on a ventilator due to lung blood clotting was able to have surgery and survived. Still have not heard for sure if it was COVID. If I had it like I thought it was a mild case and only lasted two and a half days.

I am in Texas and we are gearing up to open up. My job fell under essential services (one of our divisions makes ventilators and PPE) but fortunately the company is acting sanely. The few people who have to be in the office are vital to keeping things going and no one wants to risk an infection in that group. They also gave us two weeks of coronavirus PTO time if your immediate family or anyone you care for got sick. I think they will have me keep working from home. Part of me wants to go back. All the fun parts of my job are troubleshooting problems with equipment in the office but I should probably stay home.

Downside they finally hired someone to take over about two-thirds of my job that was supposed to move to another part of the state so I have to try to transfer almost a decade's worth of knowledge to some poor sap in a series of Skype sessions. This will be fun.

In local coronavirus news the mayors of Fort Worth and Dallas are trying one-up each other in their press briefings, we picked a fight with Colorado. Cases are on the rise and we open in two days. A judge and a bunch of other people are urging people to still stay home as much as possible. The governor appears to believe we can start extensive contact tracing in two days to stamp this thing out despite our still limited testing capability. Uh-huh, sure.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I had a dream last night I was at a beach party with all my old post college apartment complex neighbors and old friends. 

:smith:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Devian666 posted:

I think the trick is to get every meat worker sick so the meat processing plants shut down for months. Then with collapse of the food supply throughout the US this becomes the fastest path to revolution. All the second amendment freaks better show up to the revolution rather than pussy out.

If the second amendment freaks show up it will be to force meat plant workers back to work at gunpoint so that they can have barbecued pork at the kegger they’re planning to celebrate the purchase of a new diesel pickup truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hazo posted:

Lmao limey fucks think they can just try and catch up by changing the rules :sad:

Don't worry the US just passed 60,000 deaths, there's no way the UK will ever close the gap now :patriot: