Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the next book being finished will be front page headline news, anyone who learns about it from this thread will not have been paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
BOOK 6 OF 'GAME OF THRONES' NOVELIZATION COMPLETED
900 DEAD OF COVID25

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nurmie posted:

I get this pang of hope whenever I open bookmarked threads and see more than 10 new messages here, only to be crushed when I peek in. Does the fact that I seem to be enjoying this makes me a masochist

Eh. It’s more that you keep this thread bookmarked than anything.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even if he manages to poo poo out another book he still has at least one more to never write, he’ll be dead before that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just imagine, once he's dead he'll not be writing forever. It will usher in a new golden age for The Bad Thread. :allears:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just imagine, once he's dead he'll not be writing forever. It will usher in a new golden age for The Bad Thread. :allears:

Eagerly awaiting for the Ghana pallbearers to be posted, except they cannot lift the casket.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Some day there will likely be a GoT spinoff show and I’d much rather read this thread discussing that trash than the TV IV one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bold prediction: House of the Dragon will be a good show.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bold prediction: House of the Dragon will be a good show.

Unbold prediction: he started a second series so he could have 2 series he’s not completing at once effectively becoming twice as (un) productive

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bold prediction: House of the Dragon will be a show.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

He's scratching "All Winds of Winter and no football make GRRM something something" all over the walls

All Winds of Winter and no football make GRRM grunt and moan like a constipated fat man

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

All Winds of Winter and no football make GRRM grunt and moan like a constipated fat man

Oberyn is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine. :allears:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if the gods were good the absolut fuckre would be using this quarantine time to pump out a couple more volumes of Dunk and Egg stories

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think GRRM just wrote himself into a corner with too many POV's spread across too many locations. The last two ASOIAF books almost feel like a bunch of short stories or novellas stapled together into a book without too much overarching structure. So assuming he has actually written anything in the last decade since he posted those blog chapters there a bunch of stuff he cant figure out how to cobble together into a semi cohesive story since the Expanse guy left

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 1, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well maybe once Ty is done with his nine book series he can head on back to GRRM to help him finish his last two books.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Jack2142 posted:

I think GRRM just wrote himself into a corner with too many POV's spread across too many locations. The last two ASOIAF books almost feel like a bunch of short stories or novellas stapled together into a book without too much overarching structure. So assuming he has actually written anything in the last decade since he posted those blog chapters there a bunch of stuff he cant figure out how to cobble together into a semi cohesive story since the Expanse guy left
Pretty much. Imagine if in LotR Tolkien wrote it so a character visits every single point on the Middle Earth map. That's basically what GRRM has done, and it's made the book series horrendously bloated. He should have finished the main story first, but my guess is that the world will be so radically altered that there is no option for future tales in different locations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It's almost like the threads of the story have gotten tangled into a giant knot.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Plucky Brit posted:

GRRM (...) horrendously bloated

:thunk:

It is known.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jack2142 posted:

He could do it in another book but he made a contract and seems to not write more than 7 possibly because he'd get new less favorable terms from his publishing company. He also seems to hate timeskips,even short ones,with a burning passion despite half his cast being under 15

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

He could do it in another book but he made a contract and seems to not write more than 7 possibly because he'd get new less favorable terms from his publishing company.

Can't really imagine that is it. Didn't he get the old contract before the books started to print money?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
His publisher would motorboat grrms walrus like belly for any asoiaf related word the fucker absolute would ever poo poo out. Of course they're not happy the procrastinator who keeps on promising didn't release any words before HBO spoiled the ending and the cultural momentum was lost, but I mean, he's the money maker in that relationship.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I'm sure he is hard at work now that the show's completed script has been mailed to him.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this thread really still need to be around, or should we just put it out of its misery?

If there was finite space on the forum I would say put it out of it’s misery. However it serves a very important service. Our watch goes on.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Goons gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my permaban. I shall take no waifu, host no sites, father no memes. I shall wear no deodorant and win no respect from my peers. I shall live and die by my shitposting. I am the source of the dorkness. I am the Tbagger of the balls. I am the bitch of that absolute fucker GRRM. I pledge my life and boner to this dead gay forum, for this night and all the nights to come."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SirKibbles posted:

He could do it in another book but he made a contract and seems to not write more than 7 possibly because he'd get new less favorable terms from his publishing company. He also seems to hate timeskips,even short ones,with a burning passion despite half his cast being under 15

Yeah one thing the show did very right was age everyone up like five years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah thats the stuff

That disappointment, its like an old friend

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'd be legit surprised if anyone gave a poo poo to buy any more ASoIaF books if they somehow materialized because the show killed all interest in the series with that lol dumb ending.

Seriously it's been a year since the show ended and no one even talks about it anymore. I've never seen anything like that happen, let alone to anything crowded Cultural Touchstone Of The Decade. No one wants anything to do with this wasteland of a franchise anymore.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I will gladly buy the next book on launch if it ever comes out.

Luckily it's not coming out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd be legit surprised if anyone gave a poo poo to buy any more ASoIaF books if they somehow materialized because the show killed all interest in the series with that lol dumb ending.

Seriously it's been a year since the show ended and no one even talks about it anymore. I've never seen anything like that happen, let alone to anything crowded Cultural Touchstone Of The Decade. No one wants anything to do with this wasteland of a franchise anymore.

Remember when people were arguing that GoT had the cultural imprint of a show like Seinfeld or Friends? Lmao

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet it would have if they hadn’t botched the last season.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’d definitely buy the book if it ever came out, which it won’t.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

esperterra posted:

I will gladly buy the next book on launch if it ever comes out.

Luckily it's not coming out.

Same except for the gladly part.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

nine-gear crow posted:

I could be off, but I feel this is exactly how to went for a previous HBO flagship, The Sopranos. The hype was in full effect for MULTIPLE YEARS until that goofy ending and then suddenly it's like it disappeared off the planet and almost like no one would even acknowledge that it existed, or the absurd praise and accolades it received, or that masses of people had been near-religiously anticipating and watching it for 8+ years or however long.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I could be off, but I feel this is exactly how to went for a previous HBO flagship, The Sopranos. The hype was in full effect for MULTIPLE YEARS until that goofy ending and then suddenly it's like it disappeared off the planet and almost like no one would even acknowledge that it existed, or the absurd praise and accolades it received, or that masses of people had been near-religiously anticipating and watching it for 8+ years or however long.

People still being up the Soprano's in discussions about the greatest tv shows. That uh, that ain't happening with Goat of Tits.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean a Star Trek ripped off some big scenes from it

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Cavelcade posted:

People still being up the Soprano's in discussions about the greatest tv shows. That uh, that ain't happening with Goat of Tits.

Don't worry, in 10-15 years there will be plenty of people, not old enough to have seen it when it aired, online talking about how GoT in it's entirety was amazing. It's the same thing, people were upset and needed time to forget and heal and for newer generations to discover it. The Sopranos actually aged badly in some respects with all the topical poo poo they did and something like GoT earlier seasons are at least a nice adaptation of the first few books, disconnected from reality or any of the hype at the time, are actually really good. It will absolutely be brought up and praised eventually.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the cycle, but the difference is that The Sopranos largely holds up very well all the way through, even if its "topical" episodes and weird focus on Christopher absolutely date it and make some parts a drag.

Game of Thrones the television show absolutely starts to noticeably falter as early as the Second Season and drops off a cliff around the Fourth Season in a wild ride that no one outside of crazy turbonerds looking for snobbery points are going to have the time and patience to endure.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

same thing happened with lost imo. it was a huge deal at the time but lol. now it’s relegated to how to gently caress up a show in the last season only recently eclipsed by got.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously it's been a year since the show ended and no one even talks about it anymore. I've never seen anything like that happen, let alone to anything crowded Cultural Touchstone Of The Decade.

i have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Most shows that go off the air and are then not in syndication get forgotten about. It happens fairly often, but no one remembers it. GoT, Lost, Breaking Bad. Hell, Walking Dead is still on and no one talks about it now.