Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

ReindeerF posted:

Total non sequitur, but since I am legally stuck here I have been forced to get a cell phone plan and I am getting Amber Alerts. Fine, whatever, great idea, I believe the children are the future, etc. Thing is, I click OK and then I get the same alert again after a few minutes. Then I click OK again and I get it again after a few minutes. Sometimes this goes on for a while. Is there a button for "OKAY, I FUCKIN' GOT IT Y'ALL, drat" that I'm not seeing?

Please, fellow Texans, offer aid in my forced, hopefully temporary repatriation to my ancestral homeland that I love.

I don't have an answer for you but everyone in my house is now awake as of 10 minutes ago for an amber alert 300 miles away. I feel like maybe ~90% of the amber alerts i get are for counties that are at least 3 hours from me, which makes me wonder is this because they're issued on a state-wide basis and our state is yuuuge, and is there a concentration of amber alerts originating in certain counties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hawkline posted:

I don't have an answer for you but everyone in my house is now awake as of 10 minutes ago for an amber alert 300 miles away. I feel like maybe ~90% of the amber alerts i get are for counties that are at least 3 hours from me, which makes me wonder is this because they're issued on a state-wide basis and our state is yuuuge, and is there a concentration of amber alerts originating in certain counties?
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Also, "Black 20## Chevy Silverado #######" or whatever is just, you know. Might as well say "Fat Male With Football Sticker On Vehicle."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A&M saying football is going to happen like there usurping the NCAA is very funny to me.

The fact that silver taps is probably gonna be a weekly thing next semester is less funny

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

ReindeerF posted:

Total non sequitur, but since I am legally stuck here I have been forced to get a cell phone plan and I am getting Amber Alerts. Fine, whatever, great idea, I believe the children are the future, etc. Thing is, I click OK and then I get the same alert again after a few minutes. Then I click OK again and I get it again after a few minutes. Sometimes this goes on for a while. Is there a button for "OKAY, I FUCKIN' GOT IT Y'ALL, drat" that I'm not seeing?

Please, fellow Texans, offer aid in my forced, hopefully temporary repatriation to my ancestral homeland that I love.

On android > Open messenger app, click the very obvious and intuitive ". . ." button for settings, click settings, turn off "roaming emergency alerts". For whatever reason that kills it for me despite sounding like something completely different.

Enjoy no longer looking out for a dark colored corolla from the other side of the state.

e:

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Also, "Black 20## Chevy Silverado #######" or whatever is just, you know. Might as well say "Fat Male With Football Sticker On Vehicle."

Hispanic male 5'3-6', 21-55yrs old, driving a truck, please call crimestoppers if you see this man

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Marxalot posted:

On android > Open messenger app, click the very obvious and intuitive ". . ." button for settings, click settings, turn off "roaming emergency alerts". For whatever reason that kills it for me despite sounding like something completely different.

Enjoy no longer looking out for a dark colored corolla from the other side of the state.

Hispanic male 5'3-6', 21-55yrs old, driving a truck
Have a blessed day! #SendingPrayers

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Speak of the devil. Why, yes, I would like Severe Threats, but I'm just not that into Extreme Threats.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The only thing you can't disable is the presidential text system. Somehow no one has managed to tell Trump about it so thankfully it hasn't been used his entire administration.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh. I wonder if they send it as every threat and then a public safety thing, which is why it comes through multiple times. usually, it's just twice for me. also, seemingly only ever late at night!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dameius posted:

The only thing you can't disable is the presidential text system. Somehow no one has managed to tell Trump about it so thankfully it hasn't been used his entire administration.
I was driving across rural Georgia on a business trip when that hit a year or so back and that was my first thought. Please, God, do not tell him about Emergency Twitter.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I guess severe threats are hide in the closet, and extreme threats are drive in a convoy of a million people to Dallas or San Antonio.

God, I think I walked faster than we drove during those evacuations. Guess it made getting to the cooler in the bed of the truck easier, but jesus.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I guess severe threats are hide in the closet, and extreme threats are drive in a convoy of a million people to Dallas or San Antonio.

https://www.weather.gov/wrn/wea

quote:

The Extreme alerts from the National Weather Service include warnings for tsunamis, tornadoes, extreme winds, hurricanes and typhoons. The Severe alerts from National Weather Service include warnings for storm surge, flash floods, dust storms, and snow squalls.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Texas is done opent:

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747

Dameius posted:

They did, but he can’t use it to directly communicate. It’s only for emergency use like the EAS. A couple years ago, the government was doing a national test where they’d send an alert to every cell phone in the US. for about a month liberals were screaming and making thinkpieces about how “Donald Trump will use this system to spread his hateful rhetoric!” and there were also many, many lawsuits filed about it too. the hateful message was “This is a test”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1256270073460858886

Interesting that it's not the steepest decline in even recent history though

Also 1100 new cases today, we've been over 1000 three times so far, once on April 10 and then the past two days.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, that's way less bad than it could have been. Thailand's exports fell by nearly 12%, while tourism fell by about 100% in an economy where that's ~20% of GDP. If oil hadn't gone through the floor, which provides a shitload of tax revenue in the logistics process, Texas would be doing pretty okay all things considered (though given that a lot of that tax revenue comes from refining and downstream processing, it'll stay up better than production).

In other news, Houston being Houston, y'all:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/strip-club-reopens-at-midnight-owner-claims-its-a-restaurant

quote:

Police shut down a strip club in Houston that tried to reopen at 12 a.m. on Friday.

The owner of Club Onyx told arriving officers that the establishment is a restaurant with entertainers and he is allowed to be open under the state's executive order.

The Houston Police Department disagreed and said the club must shut down.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1256270073460858886

Interesting that it's not the steepest decline in even recent history though

April's sales tax revenue consists of taxes collected by businesses in the month of March. The next time they report monthly sales tax revenue (consisting of taxes collected by businesses during April) will be a whole lot uglier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We should trust businessmen to know when it's safe to operate because it is in their best interest to preserve the health of their custo-

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1256291841462489089

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Rural Texas is way more interesting than it gets credit for - and not always in a good way, heh. Not that these things are at all confined to rural Texas, but they stand out a lot more in the sparsity of the view out here.

On its face, the whole eight liner deal (or "maquinitas" in Spanish speaking Tejas) is just slot machines. Not that interesting. If you drive into Louisiana or fly into Vegas, you'll find slot machines in gas stations and bars and everywhere, like most people know.

What's weird is that you will also notice this in, especially, rural Texas, and it's clear that they're for gambling. A lot of Pakistani mini-marts have them around here, where the machines pay out in store credit or cash cards or suchlike. Then there are these poo poo buildings with blacked out windows, almost invariably a failed small business from yesteryear, painted purple or green or black or beige with nothing but a neon OPEN sign and maybe a sign that says POG out front, and they're essentially slot machine dens packed with, usually, a mix of poor and working class folks playing on discarded lovely old slot machines. The reason I ever knew about them, having lived overseas for the last 14 years (during which time they cropped up - they were not a thing when I was younger) is that the police chief in what passes for my hometown, a legit good police chief who was so good that when he tried to run for JP no one would vote for him in order to force him to remain police chief, busted one of these things one time and found his own mother inside. My mother sent me the article from the local paper. Classic small town Texas.

Anyway, the legality they skate in on is, essentially, "You can win poo poo at Dave and Busters and at the County Fair, so this is no different." based on old laws that allow for games like skeeball or whatever that award up to a certain amount. There are constant court cases by local cities and counties and so on trying to pierce this or regulate as a lottery or something else, but so far no luck. Obviously, in practice, these places are way breaking even those laws, but sort of like SOB industries, they try to appear to follow the rules.

What I have not looked into, and am curious to find out, is who is behind these. At least out here in this part of rural Guff Coast Texas. I'm sure many, maybe even most, are some person who owns just one - maybe a few - but as with most grey market things, I bet if you dig and dig it'll turn out there are a few people in networks who actually own a huge number of these things that they open and close as needed.

EDIT: To circle back to clarifying the point of my earlier post, they closed a week or so later than everything else because they weren't listed in the banned businesses precisely because they're not regulated businesses in the first place owing to their gray market status. So, tomorrow, I'm guessing they'll ride right back in under that same table and throw the doors open.

The manquinitas down here in the RGV have usually been money laundering ops for the cartels across the border, they'll pay off small town JPs to look the other way same with police chiefs, until they rack up enough attention from the state or federal level that they'll get busted up. Once that happens they move on to the next county to set up shop in another desolate town, and just keep doing that. What's interesting is for down here it almost always was an operation under the cartel's thumb, THESE days you're actually seeing more and more Asian run ones especially when you're getting out past the Valley more Northwest in the empty space between here and Laredo. It's also not just old folks but the people working the fracking fields will go there too and blow their cash, so up until recently you started seeing them sprout up in boom towns. poo poo, it had a hand in bankrupting the entire town of Crystal City, Texas not too long ago.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://mobile.twitter.com/AmandaRuizFOX7/status/1256307295056584704

APD seems to go a lot easier on white dudes with guns vs some folks without rent checks

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ReindeerF posted:

Texas is done opent:

I'm still thinking about whether it's worth risking going out to eat tonight. It seems very iffy since it's Friday and the first day anyone can eat out in 2 months. I think it may be like eating at plague central anywhere you go tonight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh, no.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Finally got around to giving blood today. Things are going to go very badly for the people of this state soon and there's nothing I can do.

Sales tax is a regressive tax, and the state government should rely more on getting money from the people who have it instead.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

radical meme posted:

I'm still thinking about whether it's worth risking going out to eat tonight. It seems very iffy since it's Friday and the first day anyone can eat out in 2 months. I think it may be like eating at plague central anywhere you go tonight.

Don't eat out. If you have to get food from somewhere, get it at a drive though.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Don't eat out. If you have to get food from somewhere, get it at a drive though.

or order for take out. dont dine at a restaurant. do try to support local restaurants. dont go to fast food establishments.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah carry out is my line on acceptable risk, although I strongly prefer curbside walk up options to needing to walk inside, especially with dining areas opening up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Finally got around to giving blood today. Things are going to go very badly for the people of this state soon and there's nothing I can do.

I sold plasma through biolife last summer to build up a small emergency fund. Finally looked at my account with them in order to use it because the world is ending and it's nearly all gone because of monthly fees I didnt know existed

As euphemistically as possible, I would like their management to be in dire need of their product sometime in the near future

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

radical meme posted:

I went to a place that only old people go at like 8 in the morning, there was no one there.

As I'm driving down to a friend of mine's house on the bay, I can see places are getting pretty packed, especially down here in syncretic retired libertarian coastal redneck alcoholic golf cart land (San Leon) Photos to follow if anything funny is spotted. Not planning on hanging out in anywhere like that, heh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hawkline posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmandaRuizFOX7/status/1256307295056584704

APD seems to go a lot easier on white dudes with guns vs some folks without rent checks

a friend led this protest. he and a few others took over every lane of 35and crept southward at 5mph. the cops towed the cars when they exited to cesar chavez to end it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

I sold plasma through biolife last summer to build up a small emergency fund. Finally looked at my account with them in order to use it because the world is ending and it's nearly all gone because of monthly fees I didnt know existed

As euphemistically as possible, I would like their management to be in dire need of their product sometime in the near future

Yeah, that's another reason to tax wealthy individuals and organizations more. They cheat all the time.

I do think there's something neat about the way the state uses the department of unclaimed property to snag money that nobody's using and promise to give it back later if anyone comes looking as a revenue stream though. It's worth a look.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I predict Texas will have to shut down again within 4 weeks.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

This jarred loose memories that I didn't even realize that I had.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

smoobles posted:

I predict Texas will have to shut down again within 4 weeks.

I give it until 4th of July.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/peterjholley/status/1256406919629156360

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The response from here on out should probably be like China and any other huge country that's further along, which is to say regional. If there's a spike in Harris County, but not in, I dunno, Kenedy County, where no one lives except the sheriff who gave me a since-unpaid speeding ticket 20 years ago, then absent circumstances specific to that area, there's probably no real reason to shutter Kenedy County. The main issue in most populated areas will be lack of testing to keep tabs on contact tracing and so on, but it's a big country and this is a big state. The whole big place doesn't necessarily need a one-size-fits-all solution anymore than a massive country like China does post-first wave - and if it does, one can be implemented.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Post ITT if your idiot elderly Boomer parents went out to a restaurant today

:sun:

(ihop, of all loving places. Goddammit!)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Post ITT if your idiot elderly Boomer parents went out to a restaurant today

:sun:

(ihop, of all loving places. Goddammit!)

I straight up gave my parents a death stare about that earlier today, and said you better loving not. Then my mom scolded me for cussing.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Give me Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity or give me death!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I like pancakes. I don't think I'd die for them, but I guess that's just me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I made some out of things I had in the pantry

Edit yesterday it was pancakes, this morning it's toast, home fries, fried eggs and white gravy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1256586054229991427?s=20

Gee willikers which could it be I wonder :thunk: