Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I know Louis CK already did a bit about Rent-a-Center, but I'm still amazed that real life people actually rent lamps and rugs.

I can see maybe renting something big like a couch, though not at what it would cost, so as not to have to keep lugging it to the next apartment. But a lamp? A rug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Motronic posted:

How have these people never heard of like, the ReStore or similar. Those rent to own places have to be charging as much every 2 months for poo poo that you could just buy outright as a second hand store.

Also the stuff they're renting is probably used anyway (repo'd)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It just took me two years and a lot of money to realize I wasn't into festivals and clubbing and it was really cosplay that was my source. I know I messed up but I don't think my life should be on hold because of it.

good thing I've got my golden child brother at the Naval Academy who is perfect in every way instead of the ever lasting fuckup that is me. /s
[/quote]

Do you see why these quotes, only sentences away from each other, seem contradictory to a reader?[/quote]

Tickets were $1000, room was $800 a night. The rest was for badges and food.[/quote]

I planned on asking for my job back when I got back from the con.
[/quote]

My mom is regional supervisor, they're kind of hosed if they don't[/quote]

I was hoping to have a sick party in our bellagio room to build up patreon. I had no idea it was legal for the loan people to call my parents house[/quote]

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/bdjdm4/aita_for_taking_out_a_pay_day_loan_so_i_can_go_to/
[/quote]

Telling people you’re on a throwaway because you’re a reddit mod is just bad with reddit

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I feel like that cosplayer one was posted when it happened?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Moneyball posted:

I know Louis CK already did a bit about Rent-a-Center, but I'm still amazed that real life people actually rent lamps and rugs.

I can see maybe renting something big like a couch, though not at what it would cost, so as not to have to keep lugging it to the next apartment. But a lamp? A rug?

Yeah that blows me away too. I lived a good chunk of my life as a broke as gently caress student. Also a degenerate broke as gently caress student. One thing the other broke af students and various druggies and drunks had in common was apartments that had like two chairs and a coffee table as “furniture.” poo poo I just got back from beers with a bachelor friend of my wife’s where we drank on his floor because he’s a single dude who doesn’t think he needs more than a tv watching chair and a bed.

Needing to rent a carpet isn’t even a poverty thing. It’s this strange intersection of poverty and expectations.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
A long time ago there was a goon who wrote up stories from his time doing deliveries/repos of rent-to-own furniture. They were funny but pretty grim.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The other broke student thing was just having a random mismatch of furniture from craigslist/family hand me downs/whatever cheap lovely lamps and poo poo you could get from a local big box store. A cheap plastic garden table doesn't look nice when used as a kitchen table, but it still functions as a table. Pair it with some craigslist chairs and you're good to go.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Haifisch posted:

The other broke student thing was just having a random mismatch of furniture from craigslist/family hand me downs/whatever cheap lovely lamps and poo poo you could get from a local big box store. A cheap plastic garden table doesn't look nice when used as a kitchen table, but it still functions as a table. Pair it with some craigslist chairs and you're good to go.

And then continue to carry around and use all of that furniture, replacing it piece by piece as you can afford it but something sticks with you for a decade or more, never fitting in but not being bad enough to replace.

It's a futon in a bedroom.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Pekinduck posted:

A long time ago there was a goon who wrote up stories from his time doing deliveries/repos of rent-to-own furniture. They were funny but pretty grim.

Oh there's a record of that. Pro click

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/stories-from-renttoown/1/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Haifisch posted:

You guys are probably too young to remember the gold standard of surplus tables, the empty wire spool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys are probably too young to remember the gold standard of surplus tables, the empty wire spool.

Hell yeah, world’s best card table.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

I am thinking of ebay to pay off my uni loan. Anime is big. I live in tokyo anime is everywhere. Is this a good idea. (self.japan)

quote:

I need help managing my $150,000 student loan debt.

Hello, my name is Stu. This is my first time ever posting with reddit. I am 22 and a recent graduate from UVM. In order to pay my out-of-state tuition, my father took out Parent Plus loans. This is where most of my student debt resides. These are federal loans in my dad's name, adding up to about $125,000. The rest are in my name. Those in my name are much easier to manage because they reflect my income (less than 20,000 a year) and my qualification for forgiveness plans. Those in my father's name reflect his income (about 50,000 a yr). Because of his moderate income, no matter how we seem to refinance, we are expected to pay about $1000/mo for around 25 years. This is an impossible burden. I feel less prepared for my life with this debt than I did before I started college. Student loans cannot be discharged through normal bankruptcy, and I cannot find a group willing to refinance all the loans into my name. So far, the best option I've come across is Obama's Loan Contingency Plan. I spoke with coordinators for this plan that believe we could reduce all the loans down to about 120 payments (10 years) of 700/mo because my father works for a non-profit hospital. The outstanding debt after that time would be forgiven. Although this is slightly better, it is still unnerving to know I'll be personally paying, maybe at the very best, $350/mo for 10 years. If anyone can offer advice on how to manage Parent Plus loans, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want my life back.

OP's post history:

quote:

Be friends/date around Burlington, VT? (self.furry)

Also, deleted posts about commissioning a furry suit and getting their degree in TV and Film studies. A $150k degree in TV and Film studies.

Furry Suits and student loans both have their own lines in some people's budgets:

quote:

So. I've known for a long time i've wanted a suit, but i had planned for much later.

However, i've started wondering if maybe getting it now before i get locked out by college debt is a good idea.

My question is, should i buy it this year, or reconsider next.

Already have a quote.
$1800 partial
summer earnings should be 3k-4.5k

Opinions?

quote:

There's a lot of mainstream suit makers who could pump out a suit in a month without struggle because they've been doing it for so long and have molds+equipment to help along the process.

At this point it's really supply and demand that's driving the price up for suits. Materials aren't all that costly, but the willingness of the customer to get one is easy to capitalize on.

Not that I'm complaining, thats how profits work! And they should be rightfully compensated for their work. What I personally don't get is how these teens and 20-something year olds who just got out of college and are tens of thousands in debt walk around in a brand new $7k fursuit. And it's their 3rd one.

BWM: i've started wondering if maybe getting a fursuit now before i get locked out by college debt is a good idea.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 3, 2020

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I told you I didn't want you to post about me here

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What are the relative advantages of Fursuit equity vs. Truck equity?

quote:

Mmm. Fursuit, or engine rebuild for the ol' truck...fursuit...or engine rebuild...

Reddit thinks Fursuit will have greater returns.

quote:

quote:

Fursuit
Agreed

quote:

Heh. Jokes aside, the money I'd spend on a full fursuit would easily cover not only a total engine rebuild, but also modifying the engine to produce better numbers than its 2018 equivalent. Things aren't cheap.

quote:

Idunno, ol' Tired Iron's got 330k on the clock and about 80HP left under the hood. But it doesn't smoke and still passes emissions...ahh, but the cost of a full suit would cover an engine build that brings it to 350+HP...#FluffyGearheadProblems

quote:

quote:

Expenses can run up to 8-9k, but it can be great for a job at a Fur con at least and you can make most of it back.

Wedding gowns are up the same alley, i’d rather have a fursuit though.

quote:

quote:

Fursuits get to be used more than once, unlike a wedding dress. Unless there's like a Wedding Con somewhere that I havent heard of. xD
Even better reason to get a fursuit and not a wedding gown. :3

quote:

Because they’re one-of-a-kind! The question is not why fursuits are so expensive, but why everything else we buy is so cheap :)

quote:

Costs can also be justified by “Dress for the job you want, not for the job you’re applying for.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 3, 2020

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

That's it thanks. Trip down memory lane.

"It's my bed now."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sunk Yiff Falacy

quote:

Hi guys! I apologize in advance for all this, and yes, I'm aware of how incredibly stupid I am.

Around February I got super into the idea of fursuiting. I was remarkably green and almost completely new to furry, but I watched some con videos and listened to some panel talks and decided it was something I wanted to knock off my bucket list. I jumped into the pool headfirst without checking to see if there was water.

In March I found a seller on a bidding site and had a custom suit commissioned. Things seemed to be going alright at first. I paid for the suit upfront and was told it would likely be added to the queue in October.

As the months went on I started getting concerned. I realized this suit maker had bewares and crappy reviews on how they ran their business. Still, I liked their completed work, and I was already in this deep, so why not stick around?

Summer comes and this suit maker has a medical emergency and needs immediate funds. My heard breaks thinking about it so I buy another suit from them. They thank me profusely and we agree on a deadline for both suits for Anthrocon '18.

They continue having emergencies, financial distress, customers waiting on their queue for too long getting refunds and then they need more funds. Its clear to me now this person has a less than stellar reputation with the community at large.

Long story short, I end up buying ANOTHER suit from them to help them with another financial emergency. I've also sent $300-$400 in donations to assist, with the promise of receiving extras in exchange.

They're having another very public crisis with someone demanding a refund, and after seeing both sides I'm not so sure if I want to be associated with this person anymore; but I've got thousands of dollars tied up in their company, they don't have the funds to issue me a refund clearly, and I think they are my last best chance of having a suit by the summer.

In closing: I've gotten involved with someone who has a poor reputation with the community. If and when I get my suits, I feel compelled to let people know who made it. Will others judge me by association? Or do people generally keep their own reputations, regardless of who made their costumes? Did I mess this up beyond repair and I should just leave?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

quote:

If and when I get my suits...
This doesn't seem like something they should waste time worrying about

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If I remember that anime LVLUP girl right she eventually revealed she was doing sex work at conventions and music festivals and spent all the money on drugs. Less BWM, seemed more like BW Mental Illness.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

StormDrain posted:

And then continue to carry around and use all of that furniture, replacing it piece by piece as you can afford it but something sticks with you for a decade or more, never fitting in but not being bad enough to replace.

It's a futon in a bedroom.
Living room of Theseus.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I told you I didn't want you to post about me here

run along with your tail between your legs

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Alan Smithee posted:

run along with your tail between your legs
This, but slowly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1253713256142843905?s=20

Bad With Money

Good With Ownage

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:patriot:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sell the URLs to Elon Musk

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

It really bothers me that not only did he send a picture of his computer screen as proof he has the urls but there is food stuck to his monitor.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Really hope that's food.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

It really bothers me that not only did he send a picture of his computer screen as proof he has the urls but there is food stuck to his monitor.

"turn on yo-

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have one of these from when I worked in a hardware store and I love it. It's used as a plant stand though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They're "rustic" now and go for way too much to people converting barns to wedding venues. :(

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Question on stopping paying student loans
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/gcm96z/question_on_stopping_paying_student_loans/

quote:

Hello, I have over 100K in private student loans. I already own my “forever” home with my wife, and she has excellent credit. Is it worth tanking my credit and getting rid of that debt? I don’t see a reason within the next 10 years we couldn’t just use my wife’s credit for credit cards, car purchases etc. Any advice on anyone who knows more about this. We are both nurse practitioners so we make good money, but this student debt will just never go away so I believe it’s worth killing my credit to get it off my back.

quote:

House is not paid off, we have a mortgage. I’m saying we already have it meaning I will not need to apply for a mortgage and need credit

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Ooh, ground floor.

A highlight from the OP in the comments:

quote:

Yes, the thing is we went to school to be Nurse practitioners so we can live a good life but by the time you deduct my loan bills every month I probably make less than most people. It’s crazy. There has to be some kind of way to not pay some of it and lose my credit

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Spokes posted:

Ooh, ground floor.

A highlight from the OP in the comments:

And when he says “live the good life” he means this.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Animal posted:

And when he says “live the good life” he means this.

[–]Iamplumbus

7 points 1 year ago
mother of pops! Any idea what this collection is worth?

permalinkembedsavegive award

[–]Panthers58

[S] 24 points 1 year ago
App says 28K

Almost 1/3 of his oppressive student loan.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Can we agree that some things people waste money on are more objectively stupid than others?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

An audible groan as I clicked this link and it loaded.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
What kind of Casual takes their pops out of the box?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

"Help I can't handle the $900/month payment for my student loan. This is going to take decades to pay off!"

"Buy less funko pops and pay off your loan 15 years faster"

"No"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An audible groan as I clicked this link and it loaded.

Michael Bluth dot gif.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Are funko pops worthless like Beanie Babies? Like sometimes I despair at how much I’ve spent on wrist watches but I have no debt and I know I could just sell them and get most of the money back. This guy has spent well over twice as much on these things. If he does decide to go All-In BWM and ignore his debt, could the creditors liquidate that doll collection and get even a fraction of what he spent on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Animal posted:

Are funko pops worthless like Beanie Babies? Like sometimes I despair at how much I’ve spent on wrist watches but I have no debt and I know I could just sell them and get most of the money back. This guy has spent well over twice as much on these things. If he does decide to go All-In BWM and ignore his debt, could the creditors liquidate that doll collection and get even a fraction of what he spent on it?

Yeah, best case is being able to break even on some limited edition box that some collector out there somehow didn't get. The rest of it is going to be pennies on the dollar.