Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

falz posted:

Does the first thing on this list mean attempt to leave the tiles in and get a new tub under it? If so I'd imagine that would be a nightmare.

They do make triangle shaped bathtubs, maybe one will fit. Those little half walls may not help with that though.

mr.belowaverage posted:

I'm not sure if there's anyway to know what's concealed in those angles. It may have been built out from the normal 90 degree corner of the room strictly for aesthetics and style (someone liked it), or those void under the steps and the side walls could be concealing piping and other mechanicals that have no other place to go. Or which would be a huge job to relocate.

I think stripping the space and installing a new tub and tiles would be just as easy as any other shower space, but beyond that you'd almost have to gut it to know what else is possible. If it were me, I'd be gutting it and recessing it back to the corner. The footprint of that contraption seems ridiculous to me. But then, I am not at all intimidated by the prospect of replacing piping, electrical, subfloor, partition walls and anything else involved.

Thank you both, and that's a great point: it's true that I have no idea what's under those steps and sidewalls.

socketwrencher posted:

I think it would be a big price difference, like 4 to 5 times as much or more to remodel the whole thing depending on what exactly is involved.

If a full remodel is feasible, and you don't need a bathtub, a larger walk-in shower might be something to consider. They're so much more relaxing and enjoyable to spend time in than a narrow tub, plus you can do cool things with LED lights, multiple shower heads, and speakers if you're so inclined. It also future-proofs things for when you don't want to be stepping into and out of a tub which can be risky. On a similar note, I'd install grab bars even if you don't need them now if you do a full remodel.

Yeah. My guesstimate was that getting it fixed up and the tub replaced would cost something like $2,500 and that getting the whole thing redone and turned into a walk-in (or at least a tub that I could comfortably take a bath in) would be dramatically more expensive, so that multiplier makes sense.

God, it does sound nice to have a walk-in, though. Or at least a tub big enough to take a bath in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Flush with hubris from my faucet replacement a couple weeks back, I decided to finally get off my butt and install the exterior vented range hood my wife and I have always wanted.

I did not first consider that while there were no studs in the way, the exterior mounted tankless water heater proooobably has water lines in and around the area in which it was installed. So I had to go from the easy, three hour job of rectangular ducting straight out the back, to round ducting out the top, taking an angle, and sneaking past two PEX lines. But in the end I'm glad it's done.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oh man I really want a vented hood. But I'd have to find a new place for a microwave, and the ideal corner in the kitchen doesn't have an outlet. What kind of hood did you get?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When your house doesn't have an outlet where you need it, you install another outlet :science:

Or if you do it wrong
:tif:

I just redid my bathrooms electrical this weekend and while I still have a few pieces left it's so much nicer already.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The original cabinets in my house wouldn't accommodate a vent hood so I just had a vent installed in the ceiling

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a terrace on the side of the house that's unfinished concrete. Just started talking to a paysagiste (I guess a landscaper?) about getting a stone terrace and he's mentioned needing a helicopter to get the materials in. Everything is stupidly expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I have a terrace on the side of the house that's unfinished concrete. Just started talking to a paysagiste (I guess a landscaper?) about getting a stone terrace and he's mentioned needing a helicopter to get the materials in. Everything is stupidly expensive.

TIL the word "paysage". (landscaper sounds right, yeah). where the heck is your house that you need it airlifting in?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaded Burnout posted:

TIL the word "paysage". (landscaper sounds right, yeah). where the heck is your house that you need it airlifting in?

It's in the mountains in Switzerland but I wouldn't say anywhere seriously remote. I guess it is a bit away from the road.

Looking off the terrace, there are other villages around the place

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have spent the last I-don't-know-how-many weekends scrubbing wallpaper adhesive, repairing lovely plaster, applying orange peel texture, sanding, painting, and installing trim. Finally, as of last night, my office is -done-.

Doors need a bunch of work so they will be installed someday, maybe. Window shades are coming this week.

The pig cage is going to be reconfigured so it doesn't block the window, and I might even add another level now that it's in its permanent home.

Close up of furry coworkers:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sirotan posted:

I have spent the last I-don't-know-how-many weekends scrubbing wallpaper adhesive, repairing lovely plaster, applying orange peel texture, sanding, painting, and installing trim. Finally, as of last night, my office is -done-.

Doors need a bunch of work so they will be installed someday, maybe. Window shades are coming this week.

The pig cage is going to be reconfigured so it doesn't block the window, and I might even add another level now that it's in its permanent home.

Nice job, especially the floors.

I have hardwood floors that I am going to refinish this summer, and their condition is at, or possibly worse, where yours were.

I don't have as large of water stains as you did, but my finish is basically non-existent...but since it's all getting sanded down, that doesn't bother me.

I'm interested in how you removed the water stains.

Oxalic acid? I see that recommended a lot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

knox_harrington posted:

It's in the mountains in Switzerland but I wouldn't say anywhere seriously remote. I guess it is a bit away from the road.

I can't help you. Mostly because my raging jealousy is preventing me from thinking straight.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the hardwood floors in my house were "refinished" by the PO.. they looked okayish when we walked through the house.. but it now appears someone just bought some minwax poly and rolled it onto the floors or something.. a lot of spots after putting furniture in even with furniture pads have delaminated from the floor. Eventually I'll refinish or have someone refinish them. for now they work but not the greatest.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nice job, especially the floors.

I have hardwood floors that I am going to refinish this summer, and their condition is at, or possibly worse, where yours were.

I don't have as large of water stains as you did, but my finish is basically non-existent...but since it's all getting sanded down, that doesn't bother me.

I'm interested in how you removed the water stains.

Oxalic acid? I see that recommended a lot.

Unfortunately, I really did not get rid of the stain. Here's a better picture of it:

It took me a solid 3 weeks worth of evenings and weekends to sand and refinish the floors after I bought this place, much longer than I initially expected. I tried soaking it with hydrogen peroxide for about 6 hours which did absolutely nothing. I was running up against my move-in date at that point and had to start laying down finish, so I ran out of time to try anything else. Just sanding helped a little bit, potentially I could hand sand and try some kind of bleaching in the future. The rest of the floors look fabulous and it was a ton of work to refinish them by myself with no experience, so I'll probably just put my desk over it or cover it up with a rug.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bubbacub posted:

Oh man I really want a vented hood. But I'd have to find a new place for a microwave, and the ideal corner in the kitchen doesn't have an outlet. What kind of hood did you get?

We got a Broan Antero CLDH130SS. It's stepped down to 6" round ducting (vice 7") so it probably isn't giving us the fully advertised 400CFM, but it's also a really short run so maybe it is? Regardless it's way, way better than the recirculating microwave vent fan. The hardest part of the whole project was the ducting, particularly having to do it in a tight confines (inside a cabinet, near/around PEX run), removing the old microwave and installing the hood itself is easy.

We're also in a "well where do we put the microwave now?" kind of situation; we ended up ordering a 40" kitchen cart that'll go in what was probably supposed to be tiny eat-in area part of the kitchen but now houses our kegerator setup for her homebrewing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

This is some really great work, and I'm feeling some real kindred spirit energy here, with the age and type of reno involved.

Also, clothes pegs to hold up rolled up lining paper (or any other window covering) is some really excellent innovation in the field of tempermanence.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also, clothes pegs to hold up rolled up lining paper (or any other window covering) is some really excellent innovation in the field of tempermanence.

lol, thanks. It works in a pinch but I will be pleased as punch when their permanent replacements arrive, supposedly they're being shipped on the 6th.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very nice, what color paint is that on the wall? It looks very similar to the paints I considered for my bathroom.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Very nice, what color paint is that on the wall? It looks very similar to the paints I considered for my bathroom.

We call that "blue".

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson posted:

Sherwin-Williams Sleepy Hollow: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW9145-sleepy-hollow

Edit: Going to use the same color in the hallway that connects to the bedroom I painted Naval:

And the current front runner for my living room is Thermal Spring:

tho I was also considering Poseidon:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 4, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Sherwin-Williams Sleepy Hollow: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW9145-sleepy-hollow

Edit: Going to use the same color in the hallway that connects to the bedroom I painted Naval:

I used Scanda by Sherwin Williams in my office and I love it:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

knox_harrington posted:

Totally off topic, but that's a stunning viewm and I have a few questions:
I got to go to Switzerland in 2007 and I was really curious how one even accesses those little villages. They seemed very remote.

I assume you own a car and have to drive a ways to get groceries or other goods? How far away is your nearest grocery, and do you work from home or is there a city center you have to commute to for work?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

I used Scanda by Sherwin Williams in my office and I love it:

I really like this color.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MetaJew posted:

Totally off topic, but that's a stunning viewm and I have a few questions:
I got to go to Switzerland in 2007 and I was really curious how one even accesses those little villages. They seemed very remote.

I assume you own a car and have to drive a ways to get groceries or other goods? How far away is your nearest grocery, and do you work from home or is there a city center you have to commute to for work?

Yeah you need a car, the post bus system in Switzerland does go absolutely everywhere but not very frequently and I wouldn't want to rely on it to get places, if you're near a train station that's a different matter but there isn't one up here. In winter the road up here does get cut off if there's a big snowfall but they're pretty good at clearing it in the morning. In terms of supplies there's a good supermarket in the village centre, that's about 1km away and it has most things you need, and then if you get down to the Rhone valley there are decent-ish sized towns.

In general it's a small and surprisingly densely populated country and even though you can get to amazing countryside you aren't really ever that far away from other people. This is from when I climbed up to one of the peaks the other day and while it felt pretty isolated you can see the buildings in the Rhone valley about 20km away as the crow flies:

A bit more on topic, I am having to learn lots of French vocabulary for different bits of stone
https://www.guber.ch/cms/hp/images/stories/docs/preislisten/2020-PrivatF-low.pdf

e: also there's no house number attached to the building and I ordered one because we keep missing deliveries. Having done that I noticed that literally every other house has exactly the same style, colour and typeface and it may be legally mandated to have the correct one (the one I ordered is not like this). It definitely is in Geneva but I can't work out the deal here https://www.ge.ch/adresses-rues-plaques-numerotation/commander-plaque-numerotation

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 4, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sirotan posted:

the color you used doesn't look remotely how it does on your walls hahaa. the power of lighting

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

e: also there's no house number attached to the building and I ordered one because we keep missing deliveries. Having done that I noticed that literally every other house has exactly the same style, colour and typeface and it may be legally mandated to have the correct one (the one I ordered is not like this). It definitely is in Geneva but I can't work out the deal here https://www.ge.ch/adresses-rues-plaques-numerotation/commander-plaque-numerotation

What canton are you in? I've had a poke around and it looks like the rules differ by canton when it comes to the houses themselves.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson posted:

the color you used doesn't look remotely how it does on your walls hahaa. the power of lighting

It was really nice and sunny earlier, and I think my phone probably brightened the photo a bit too. It's really overcast now and getting dark, here's a pic I just took, no filters or anything:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah much closer. In your first pic it looked like a pastel

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaded Burnout posted:

What canton are you in? I've had a poke around and it looks like the rules differ by canton when it comes to the houses themselves.

Thanks for having a look, I'm in Valais.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks for having a look, I'm in Valais.

I'm not finding anything for Valais specifically. I'd suggest asking your neighbours, or (assuming you're not a swiss native) the canton has a team set up for helping out migrants, sounds like the sort of thing they'd be able to help with:
https://www.vs.ch/web/spm/integration

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah you need a car, the post bus system in Switzerland does go absolutely everywhere but not very frequently and I wouldn't want to rely on it to get places, if you're near a train station that's a different matter but there isn't one up here. In winter the road up here does get cut off if there's a big snowfall but they're pretty good at clearing it in the morning. In terms of supplies there's a good supermarket in the village centre, that's about 1km away and it has most things you need, and then if you get down to the Rhone valley there are decent-ish sized towns.

In general it's a small and surprisingly densely populated country and even though you can get to amazing countryside you aren't really ever that far away from other people. This is from when I climbed up to one of the peaks the other day and while it felt pretty isolated you can see the buildings in the Rhone valley about 20km away as the crow flies:

A bit more on topic, I am having to learn lots of French vocabulary for different bits of stone
https://www.guber.ch/cms/hp/images/stories/docs/preislisten/2020-PrivatF-low.pdf

no offense but I want to murder you and steal your house

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Locking in a re-fi today, going from 4.875 to 2.875. :stare:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah apparently around here the rates dropped so hard that they started going back up because of the sudden influx of demand.

Edit: Fixed a mistake that made me say the opposite of what I wanted to say since my brain is broken.

mutata fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Locking in a re-fi today, going from 4.875 to 2.875. :stare:

congrats, I went from mid 3.x to 2.875 4-5 years ago when rates were really low. I have about the same monthly payment now, but I cut like nine years off my mortgage and got rid of PMI.

I think the absolute lowest rate you can get is 2.750, but that's only for homes within certain price ranges.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Just renewed at 2.35% Friday. :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mr.belowaverage posted:

Just renewed at 2.35% Friday. :)

what the gently caress voodoo is this. what company and where do you live?

the lowest I can find (bankrate won't even show rates right now lol) is like 3.125 from the place I did my refi with previously lol

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 5, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm already below 2.3%, from back in 2018. I'm due refinancing by August, hopefully favourably.

Edit: Looks like I could pick up a riskier mortgage at 1.09% 2 year fixed, or something more stable 3 year 1.5%, but since our national bank just cut the base rate to 0.1% (another 0.14% cut) that's likely to go down too. Nice.

Not to flex but this probably helps tbh:

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Perfect credit score was a requirement to becoming mod of BFC, I assume.

Edit: apparently I do not know what forum I'm in and now my joke sucks. But nice work Jaded Burnout, plz tell me your secrets.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm already below 2.3%, from back in 2018. I'm due refinancing by August, hopefully favourably.

Edit: Looks like I could pick up a riskier mortgage at 1.09% 2 year fixed, or something more stable 3 year 1.5%, but since our national bank just cut the base rate to 0.1% (another 0.14% cut) that's likely to go down too. Nice.

Not to flex but this probably helps tbh:

Are you getting such an insanely low rate because you only have a few years left on your mortgage? Are you in the US? I've never heard of credit scores going into the 900s.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Perfect credit score was a requirement to becoming mod of BFC, I assume.

Edit: apparently I do not know what forum I'm in and now my joke sucks. But nice work Jaded Burnout, plz tell me your secrets.

It is getting a bit.. *sniffs armpit*.. BFC in here.

My main tip is: have enough money that you don't really need more, then borrow lots for something relatively frivolous (£60k unsecured personal loan to reno a house, anyone?) and don't miss a payment.

actionjackson posted:

Are you getting such an insanely low rate because you only have a few years left on your mortgage? Are you in the US? I've never heard of credit scores going into the 900s.

UK, and 29 years remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

UK, and 29 years remaining.

But you said two year fixed?