Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a subreddit. it's based on a type of fortification, and a saying that you should "stay in your fortification" referring to only arguing about things you're an expert in. does anyone know what I'm talking about

it was motte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

actionjackson posted:

Does anyone here have a pool table? Would you say this is accurate?

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/room-size-requirements

I'm trying to find a way to get the 7' table in a room I don't use, but it's a bit too small according to this, using a 48" cue. Maybe there are shorter cues? Right now it would involve keeping the doors to the furnace/AC room open during certain shots :p

Don't use smaller than average cues. You'll get bad habits moving back and forth.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

actionjackson posted:

Does anyone here have a pool table? Would you say this is accurate?

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/room-size-requirements

I'm trying to find a way to get the 7' table in a room I don't use, but it's a bit too small according to this, using a 48" cue. Maybe there are shorter cues? Right now it would involve keeping the doors to the furnace/AC room open during certain shots :p
I have 57.5" between the edge of the table and my walls, so I can't really tell you about mine, but I have played on others and not having enough room is a horrible experience. You'll want enough room to keep the cue mostly level with the table, even when the cue ball is on the rail. I have a 42" "shorty" cue that one of my friends uses. It's weighted like a normal cue and might work for what you want, but I'd much prefer to use a full-sized one. You could also get a conductor friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex_BuaxZ3v0

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I have 57.5" between the edge of the table and my walls, so I can't really tell you about mine, but I have played on others and not having enough room is a horrible experience. You'll want enough room to keep the cue mostly level with the table, even when the cue ball is on the rail. I have a 42" "shorty" cue that one of my friends uses. It's weighted like a normal cue and might work for what you want, but I'd much prefer to use a full-sized one. You could also get a conductor friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex_BuaxZ3v0

yeah good point. I wonder if there's anything smaller I could put there that would be good for one or two people. Bumper pool maybe but I've never played that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

artsy fartsy posted:

GOD I hate it so much

It's actually insane how many much time is spent grunting at each other for the several hours of dialogue in ff7

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

actionjackson posted:

yeah good point. I wonder if there's anything smaller I could put there that would be good for one or two people. Bumper pool maybe but I've never played that.

Maybe a nice card table? We had one where the top would flip from leather for cards to solid wood for board games, food, etc.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A six foot pool table is good fun.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah maybe, I have a few other ideas too but might just put a pedestal table in there for now.

Flipperwaldt posted:

A six foot pool table is good fun.

do you have one you'd recommend?

extrapolating from that room size site, for a standard cue I'd estimate I'd need 12.5 by 15 feet, and for a 52" cue 11.5 x 14 feet.

I emailed a place here that sells 6' version of Olhausen tables, which I'm sure will be nice but pricy!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does anybody actually enjoy bumper pool? It feels like every non-rich family I knew growing up had one in their basement that never got played for more than 30 seconds a year. Someone's mom suggests you boys can go use the pool table and then you get down there and your heart just sinks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

actionjackson posted:

do you have one you'd recommend?
Not really. A friend has one that's borderline above an actual kid's toy. It might have cost a bit over 200€ new. I found it liberating not to have to take it all too seriously. I find that I can play on my own for a good while as well, which is why I would prefer it over a card/board game table.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not really. A friend has one that's borderline above an actual kid's toy. It might have cost a bit over 200€ new. I found it liberating not to have to take it all too seriously. I find that I can play on my own for a good while as well, which is why I would prefer it over a card/board game table.

yeah that was the appeal, I live alone (well I have a dog but she sucks at pool) and I always enjoying just playing by myself as well as with others. I think just all the geometry involved is what makes it so fun.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Human Tornada posted:

Does anybody actually enjoy bumper pool? It feels like every non-rich family I knew growing up had one in their basement that never got played for more than 30 seconds a year. Someone's mom suggests you boys can go use the pool table and then you get down there and your heart just sinks.

I've only ever played at bars that had tables, so I can't speak to your specific experience, but yeah it's a fun time. Definitely a nice change of pace from a bar table at least.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

For 6' Olhausen tables, the cheapest was $2750 including shipping, setup, cues, balls, etc. Maybe next year! haha

or craigslist

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 5, 2020

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Human Tornada posted:

We used to play constantly whenever there was a river vacation or party at the pond house or similar - something where there wasn't a lot to do if you got bored of swimming. Was a reasonable way to kill some time.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any hard data on vaginal orgasms? My friend has been insecure about it lately because she's only ever been able to have clitoral orgasms. So I'm trying to find if there are any actual studies done to see if vaginal orgasms are even a real and separate thing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

EDIT: Posting right before I go to sleep means my reading comprehension sucks.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 6, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm playing the FF7 remake--not really my kind of game nowadays, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Anyway, what is up with all the noises the voice actors make? So many uhs! and ohs! and ahhs? and various grunts. They're usually completely unnecessary and the conversation would flow better if they were left out.

I haven't watched a lot of anime but recall hearing this happen there, too (although it seems especially bad in FF7.)

What is this poo poo? Does it come off more natural in the Japanese language? Is it usually only in animated stuff/video games (maybe as a way to have a character react without animating additional facial expressions)? Or is it something that mainly happens in dubs?

GOD I hate it so much

Curious thing isn't it? Games like FF are definitely riffing off of anime. It does have some resemblance to active listening like somebody pointed out (or aizuchi), but overall I suspect it's just a very ingrained stylistic thing. Japanese people don't actually do any of that stuff unless they are consciously mimicking this in the real world. I think you are bang on the money that it originated a long, long time ago in at least the 70s-80s where it was a cheap way to add motion/action to a scene by just using cuts to repeated shocked faces and stuff. Which in itself is probably derived from a lot of oldschool Japanese samurai films where reaction shots are pretty common.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Is there any hard data on vaginal orgasms? My friend has been insecure about it lately because she's only ever been able to have clitoral orgasms. So I'm trying to find if there are any actual studies done to see if vaginal orgasms are even a real and separate thing.

The clitoris extends into the vagina.

Edit to add: here’s a shittily formatted bootleg of the paper that’s currently considered the new hotness on this topic.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 6, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

The clitoris extends into the vagina.

Edit to add: here’s a shittily formatted bootleg of the paper that’s currently considered the new hotness on this topic.

Is it just me or does that paper just basically say, “chill and have fun and try not to have a stressful life and you’ll come (or maybe not!)”?

I mean, with lots of descriptions of how the pussy is very complicated as well.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

Is it just me or does that paper just basically say, “chill and have fun and try not to have a stressful life and you’ll come (or maybe not!)”?

I mean that's not bad advice.

There are a lot of different ways women experience sex, you have to get to know your own body and what works for you or doesn't, you don't just get to follow a formula that works for everybody no matter what. There's like a million different tutorials on the internet about exactly this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Casual sex” implies the existence of ranked, competitive sex.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

“Casual sex” implies the existence of ranked, competitive sex.

"yeah I'm ranked"

"Bronze-V is a rank"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Platinum in solo queue.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nighthand posted:

Platinum in solo queue.

What a save

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This is a dumb question, but are my frozen vegetables actually not healthy for me? I actually bothered to look at the nutrient facts and it seems... really low. They're mixed veggies (carrots, zucchini, lima beans, cauliflower) but one serving is 2% calcium and iron, and 4% potassium. Shouldn't there be more or am I missing something? Like vitamin A from the carrots?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Frozen vegetables have roughly the same nutrients as fresh ones, and in the off-season you'll actually be getting more vitamins from frozen ones than fresh. Those numbers don't sound that off-base for vegetables in general, but honestly you should not be worrying about your vitamin intake unless you are experiencing health problems as a result of vitamin deficiency. It's very uncommon for anyone in a wealthy nation to be suffering from vitamin deficiency (except vitamin D, but even then very few people are going to be getting rickets or anything).

e: keep in mind that the only real difference between frozen vegetables and fresh ones is that they've been chopped into pieces, blanched, and frozen, assumedly in some big-rear end industrial machine. They've not been dipped in hydrochloric acid or anything.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 8, 2020

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Trying to find a music video that I seen 10-15+ years ago

All I can remember is a country road, a car crash and spinning/dancing while covered in blood.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I remember that video. No luck from google though. If it helps it almost definitely wasn't a country video. it might have had country vibes but iirc it was some euro indie band. I think they might have been swedish or something.

Like, the video is the band coming across a group of people on a lonely highway who died in a car crash and they dance around with the corpses in funny ways.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The swedish band on a country road makes me think of the cardigans, but that vid doesn't have dancing with corpses.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HOT! New Memes posted:

Trying to find a music video that I seen 10-15+ years ago

All I can remember is a country road, a car crash and spinning/dancing while covered in blood.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I know exactly what video you’re talking about. I do not remember the name. I’ll try to recall
It though. Because now it’s bugging me.

Edit: it’s this https://youtu.be/ysPcyOvNJew

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 8, 2020

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I remember that video. No luck from google though. If it helps it almost definitely wasn't a country video. it might have had country vibes but iirc it was some euro indie band. I think they might have been swedish or something.

Like, the video is the band coming across a group of people on a lonely highway who died in a car crash and they dance around with the corpses in funny ways.

That would be the one!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I know exactly what video you’re talking about. I do not remember the name. I’ll try to recall
It though. Because now it’s bugging me.

Edit: it’s this https://youtu.be/ysPcyOvNJew

That’s it! Thank you it’s been bugging me for months

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What is the appropriate way to dress for a video interview? Full suit and tie seems like overkill, but just a button-up seems like too low effort.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Button-up shirt and tie but no jacket as a compromise? Definitely make sure your hair (and facial hair if you have it) is on point.

Whatever you do, don't wear pants :getin:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Suit and tie and all the trimmings above the waistline.

Boxer shorts or less below it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Suit and tie and all the trimmings above the waistline.

Boxer shorts or less below it.

But also trim below the waistline. If they happen to see it you don't want them thinking you don't 'scape down there.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CzarChasm posted:

What is the appropriate way to dress for a video interview? Full suit and tie seems like overkill, but just a button-up seems like too low effort.

Like a non video interview, it depends on the culture and you can ask the hiring manager/some other relevant person.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there anyway to get dirt/crumbs (:p)/etc. out of the deep, thin area between the car seat and the center console? It's very thin, too thin to use the vacuum attachment, and moving the seat forward and back doesn't really help. It's basically stuff that's by the little rail that the chair moves on when you move it forward and back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Is there anyway to get dirt/crumbs (:p)/etc. out of the deep, thin area between the car seat and the center console? It's very thin, too thin to use the vacuum attachment, and moving the seat forward and back doesn't really help. It's basically stuff that's by the little rail that the chair moves on when you move it forward and back.

I used a paintbrush when I had a car. My dad used to use this vacuum kit for computers, had all sorts of tiny attachments.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Ask A Manager (and she's generally a good source) says dress shirt with tie. IMO, though, you're never going to go wrong with a suit, and if I get an interview at this point, I'll probably wear one. Yeah, it's overkill, but it's way less likely to hurt you than help you.

And I'm sure some interviewers will ask to see the whole shebang, so probably don't skip pants on interview days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Ask A Manager (and she's generally a good source) says dress shirt with tie. IMO, though, you're never going to go wrong with a suit, and if I get an interview at this point, I'll probably wear one. Yeah, it's overkill, but it's way less likely to hurt you than help you.

And I'm sure some interviewers will ask to see the whole shebang, so probably don't skip pants on interview days.
gently caress I know the job market is terrible right now but it makes me angry that some interviewers would unironically ask "hey show me that you're wearing pants". Bullshit.