Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is barely counterevidence but pirateaba's been streaming themselves writing the last few weeks of chapters (no audio, screen only). It took them 3 and a half hours to write Strategists at Sea pt 2 (no, I didn't watch the whole video), which is the second longest chapter they've ever written, so I would lean more towards the single person savant theory. Not that the other chapters were written in as short a time; the most recent nonpatreon chapter was only half-complete after 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
pirateaba wrote everything up to vol 7 on a lovely membrane keyboard she bought off amazon for 50 bucks.

we managed to get her to buy an actual mechanical keyboard back in january. combine that with her PT seriously helping ease her arm pain, she's basically taken off her weighted clothing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://poofserial.wordpress.com/

That was quick.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Poof?

Seriously?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Anyway, the most interesting thing he's written in ages is his Ward wrap-up post if only because he sounds about a month or so from a breakdown but he's starting Pact 2 on Tuesday. Does he not have savings?

He's big on the FIRE thing and lives on like $1k/month in a remote canadian town where there's literally nothing for him to do but sit inside and write so that he can save the bulk of his income.

He seems to be aware that the patreon-supported web serial thing probably won't last forever, but instead of seriously perusing alternative revenue streams he's trying to get to the point where he doesn't need income to survive.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Like, coming right on the heels of his apology that he just happens to keep handling LGBT stuff in a really bad way through sheer happenstance?

On the other hand, that chapter is way better than anything in Ward.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ward wrap-up post
can i get a link to this?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

Yoink: https://wildbow.wordpress.com/2020/05/03/ward-off-a-retrospective-on-a-sequel/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

No.

It's really interesting reading.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Argue posted:

This is barely counterevidence but pirateaba's been streaming themselves writing the last few weeks of chapters (no audio, screen only). It took them 3 and a half hours to write Strategists at Sea pt 2 (no, I didn't watch the whole video), which is the second longest chapter they've ever written, so I would lean more towards the single person savant theory. Not that the other chapters were written in as short a time; the most recent nonpatreon chapter was only half-complete after 4 hours.

Strats Pt2 took ~7 hours total (which seems to be how long all the Book 7 chapters take), the Twitch video archive doesn't have the VOD of the first half being written.

A big flaming stink posted:

pirateaba wrote everything up to vol 7 on a lovely membrane keyboard she bought off amazon for 50 bucks.

we managed to get her to buy an actual mechanical keyboard back in january. combine that with her PT seriously helping ease her arm pain, she's basically taken off her weighted clothing.

I have to wonder if/when mental burnout becomes a more serious problem. I think every one of her streams in the last 2 weeks starts and ends with her complaining about mental fatigue.

Speaking of burnout, gotta say Maviola has to be my new favorite character in TWI. Going to be sad when the potions run out.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 5, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because one of the reasons why I stopped reading TWI is that yeah, there are a LOT of words but at some point it just started reading like well, tbh I've seen more readable text written by non native English speakers translating Japanese LN. :psyduck: Someone posted a snippet a while back and it was full of repitition and weird phrasing

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Xun posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because one of the reasons why I stopped reading TWI is that yeah, there are a LOT of words but at some point it just started reading like well, tbh I've seen more readable text written by non native English speakers translating Japanese LN. :psyduck: Someone posted a snippet a while back and it was full of repitition and weird phrasing

the witch arc in vol 6 did drag a bit, but i honestly could not disagree more.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Maguoob posted:

I haven't read the Wandering Inn, but how much of the chapters are just meaningless nonsense or outright repetition?
None of it's nonsense or obvious repetition, but they definitely have a very very word-heavy style of writing. Chapter for chapter, about the same amount of plot-important 'stuff' happens as in a regular book or web serial, only the chapter is like 4-5x as long as a normal one. Some of that is anime-esque extensive monologuing/narration, some of it is just spending a lot of time on little slice of life details/worldbuilding for an absolutely enormous cast of named characters.

edit: maybe this isn't the best metric, but it's up to like 5 million words now (so, equivalent to 25 decent-sized fantasy novels, or two and a half Dresden Files-es, or three Worms) and it hasn't even been a single year of in-world time yet

Cicero fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 5, 2020

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Savant or not, I have no earthly clue how pirateaba does what they do.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thinking back on it, my opinions have changed over the years, and I think I'm more fond of Pact them I am of Worm now, which is weird. I was actually thinking about slogging through it again, before seeing that this is set in the same world. It's a cool setting, hopeful to see where this goes! I loved Twig, but gave up on Ward pretty quick...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Xun posted:

TWI is the most first-draft-like in terms of prose, and probably the weakest of the serials in this thread in that regard, but I don't know where you're getting that it's as unreadable as you say. In terms of being comprehensible or repetitive, it has virtually no problems. The closest it comes to repetitive is when it repeats facts that happened volumes ago that the reader probably forgot.

Cicero posted:

None of it's nonsense or obvious repetition, but they definitely have a very very word-heavy style of writing. Chapter for chapter, about the same amount of plot-important 'stuff' happens as in a regular book or web serial, only the chapter is like 4-5x as long as a normal one. Some of that is anime-esque extensive monologuing/narration, some of it is just spending a lot of time on little slice of life details/worldbuilding for an absolutely enormous cast of named characters.

edit: maybe this isn't the best metric, but it's up to like 5 million words now (so, equivalent to 25 decent-sized fantasy novels, or two and a half Dresden Files-es, or three Worms) and it hasn't even been a single year of in-world time yet

It's definitely word-heavy, but I wouldn't say the same amount of stuff happens. A lot of times I feel like "ah, this is a good point to end the chapter, quite a lot has happened" except it just keeps going... much to my enjoyment. Also it's been 1.25 years in-universe :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cicero posted:

TWI doesn't actually have a "plot" in the traditional sense, though. the characters and their lives are the plot.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

On the one hand, I love Pact's setting, on the other...

he sounds about a month or so from a breakdown
Don't do this to poor Pact, again, take a break.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

All I can think of is https://youtu.be/TiHsJ0Dz7e8

Velius fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 5, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Jazerus posted:

TWI doesn't actually have a "plot" in the traditional sense, though. the characters and their lives are the plot.

I like the slice of life things the most but there are loads of plot threads and even one maybe above all the others.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for making me do a double take.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

the excerpt from TWI that was posted awhile back

The other two Drakes stared at the [Alchemist]. ‘Annoyed’ was a mild word to describe how they felt about Saliss. Resigned, aggravated—you had to combine descriptors. But the Named Adventurer was the best [Alchemist] in all of Pallass, perhaps the world. He was more useful than he looked. And—well, he was also hard to get rid of.

Moreover, he was amid equals, in a sense. Grimalkin, the [Sinew Magus], and Chaldion, [Grand Strategist] in charge of Pallass’ armies were both famed and influential. If anything, Grimalkin was the lesser figure here. If anyone was being a stickler for the exact nuance of rank.

But no one was. And the three Drakes outranked and mattered more than anyone else in the inn in which they stood. And yet—they stood in a corner, talking. They were here, having taken time out of their incredibly busy schedules—again, Saliss being a sort of exception—to come here.

Because of a Human. Erin Solstice. And at this moment, Chaldion and Saliss were experiencing a phenomenon Grimalkin in his personal notes was dubbing the ‘Erin-chaos effect’.

Yeah words specifically aren't repeated but the...ideas are? There are a lot of words that don't really communicate anything new.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Agreed, Pirate has a tendency to really belabor the point/draw things out.

I also hate their writing tic of immediate opposites, ala "It meant everything. And nothing." Oh my GOD stop doing that!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
In school one of the things they taught us was that if we ever weren't sure to write, just write something and then edit it out later if it's pointless rather than getting stuck.

TWI feels like the result of doing that without ever deleting anything.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Writing what are essentially unvoiced speeches to set the scene is just part of the prose style. It's kind of dumb but it's not actually trying to convey information.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Xun posted:

the excerpt from TWI that was posted awhile back

The other two Drakes stared at the [Alchemist]. ‘Annoyed’ was a mild word to describe how they felt about Saliss. Resigned, aggravated—you had to combine descriptors. But the Named Adventurer was the best [Alchemist] in all of Pallass, perhaps the world. He was more useful than he looked. And—well, he was also hard to get rid of.

Moreover, he was amid equals, in a sense. Grimalkin, the [Sinew Magus], and Chaldion, [Grand Strategist] in charge of Pallass’ armies were both famed and influential. If anything, Grimalkin was the lesser figure here. If anyone was being a stickler for the exact nuance of rank.

But no one was. And the three Drakes outranked and mattered more than anyone else in the inn in which they stood. And yet—they stood in a corner, talking. They were here, having taken time out of their incredibly busy schedules—again, Saliss being a sort of exception—to come here.

Because of a Human. Erin Solstice. And at this moment, Chaldion and Saliss were experiencing a phenomenon Grimalkin in his personal notes was dubbing the ‘Erin-chaos effect’.

Yeah words specifically aren't repeated but the...ideas are? There are a lot of words that don't really communicate anything new.

in some strange ways, this reminds of avacyn's collar, the symbol of her church

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah that feels more like just a writing style thing than anything else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

in some strange ways, this reminds of avacyn's collar, the symbol of her church

Goddammit

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Pirateaba writes an immense amount of stylistic fluff that says absolutely nothing, including an immense amount of repetition of stuff we already know. Sometimes it's from many chapters back, but as often as not it's from the previous chapter or the same chapter. It reads somewhat similar to a translated Chinese web novel. Rather than set the scene, it often gets in the way of the emotions the story wants you to feel, either by making the tone too casual or by drawing them out too long.

I think it's definitely one person. Their writing is very idiosyncratic, both in those stylistic trappings and in particular phrasings.

As for plot, it works better if you think about it as a set of connected short stories, novellas, and novels. The overarching plot isn't very good, interesting, or even happening a lot of the time, but the individual stories themselves are often decently well plotted. TWI is as much episodic web fiction as it is web serial, blending both even as it switches between which it's emphasizing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI is great.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Pirateaba writes an immense amount of stylistic fluff that says absolutely nothing, including an immense amount of repetition of stuff we already know. Sometimes it's from many chapters back, but as often as not it's from the previous chapter or the same chapter. It reads somewhat similar to a translated Chinese web novel. Rather than set the scene, it often gets in the way of the emotions the story wants you to feel, either by making the tone too casual or by drawing them out too long.

I think it's definitely one person. Their writing is very idiosyncratic, both in those stylistic trappings and in particular phrasings.

As for plot, it works better if you think about it as a set of connected short stories, novellas, and novels. The overarching plot isn't very good, interesting, or even happening a lot of the time, but the individual stories themselves are often decently well plotted. TWI is as much episodic web fiction as it is web serial, blending both even as it switches between which it's emphasizing.

it reads nothing like a translated web novel, honestly.

i genuinely don't understand most of the criticisms of TWI that this thread brings up any time someone talks about it, but at this point i've accepted that i never will

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jazerus posted:

i genuinely don't understand most of the criticisms of TWI that this thread brings up any time someone talks about it, but at this point i've accepted that i never will

it is possible that you have different standards compared to other people in the thread

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Jazerus posted:

I've read a ton of translated Chinese web serials and while the quality can vary greatly, you can always tell it's a translated web serial.
TWI never gives this feeling. While the quality of prose can vary, it's still been a better story so far then a lot of the western web serials I've read. It's also the only one I've actually kept up with, though I have skipped story arcs (by the ending stages the Goblin War arc was too emotionally draining).

I've straight up dropped Twig and Ward, and I've put on hold Practical Guide (though it's about time to pick that up again).

Sampatrick posted:

it is possible that you have different standards compared to other people in the thread

Everyone has different standards.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I didn't mean that the prose in TWI reads like it was translated, I meant it does the same sort of high word count stylistic fluff and repitition.

From TWI posted:

From a random chapter of Way of Choices/Ze Tian Ji posted:

Although Su Li's cultivation was extremely high and he was publicly acknowledged to have reached unfathomable heights in the path of the sword, when compared to the Eight Storms and four of the Saints, he was still a junior. Moreover, for various reasons, his name had never been mentioned alongside them.

He had written this letter to Zhu Luo precisely because he wanted to tell the entire continent that as long as he wished, he could destroy the so-called Storms of the Eight Directions at any time.

If this were several centuries ago when he was at his height, no, even several decades ago, even one year ago, when confronted by this letter, Zhu Luo would carelessly smile, then tear open the envelope, taking in at a glance all the sharpness on the paper. In this way, he would not cause any loss to the martial fame of the Storms of the Eight Directions.

But now, he was somewhat hesitant.

"If these things were different than this would be the case but they aren't so it's like this instead" is a pattern that gets used all the time in both.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 6, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, neither of these are objectionable to me. It's fluff, maybe, but it's not really repetitive to the degree that the earlier assertions seemed to imply.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Argue posted:

Yeah, neither of these are objectionable to me. It's fluff, maybe, but it's not really repetitive to the degree that the earlier assertions seemed to imply.

The TWI quote is not an example of self-contained repetition, but it also says absolutely nothing new that hadn't been previously covered in recent chapters and that chapter itself.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy TWI. It's fun escapist fare, and some of the stories can be emotionally moving. But it's abundantly clear that the reason pirateaba is able to write so many words every week is because so many of them say so little.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

The TWI quote is not an example of self-contained repetition, but it also says absolutely nothing new that hadn't been previously covered in recent chapters and that chapter itself.

I'd call that setting the scene, and if that type of fluff doesn't appeal to you I suggest you don't read TWI. Based on how many readers this series has at this point plenty of people do in fact like that.

I didn't read Lord of the Rings until AFTER seeing the movies and my god, Tolkin could fill a lot of space with simple description. A series I found I liked much less then when I read the Hobbit in my childhood. Everyone has their own taste and it's not a crime to not like an author for their writing style.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy TWI. It's fun escapist fare, and some of the stories can be emotionally moving. But it's abundantly clear that the reason pirateaba is able to write so many words every week is because so many of them say so little.

Yes and? The Odyssey is over by the time some modern fantasy novels start, whereas in 19th century some novelists would describe the physical detail of scene in a frankly absurd manner.

Patrons, what does the KQ stand for?

Gladi fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gladi posted:

Patrons, what does the KQ stand for?

King of Destruction and Queen of Pop