Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/_rotaren_/status/1252868438197862403

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

all of the UNIQLO Evangelion t-shirts from this link are coming to the US sometime in June! They're not all great but I want at the very least the Kaworu and Unit-02 Beast Mode shirts. The ones pictured above are also pretty good. It kinda bums me out that Uniqlo does less of the patterns that take up the whole shirt than they used to; none of the shirts from this set are nearly as cool as the set they released literally a decade ago when 2.0 came out, but those are impossible to find and Uniqlo barely existed in the US in 2010! Look at these, any one of these would probably be better than the shirts we're getting this time around:

of course, you might be thinking "oh man, it's probably gonna be awkwardly timed considering the movie got delayed back to 'eh, sometime in the future'" which is true, but honestly 3.0+1.0 is probably finished and just waiting for the COVID outbreak to slow down before releasing, so it's not like they've got an entire line ready to go for a movie that got pushed back a whole year because the animation studio finishing had to close because of COVID.

lol

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/Paralynx_/status/1253815912064593921

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

He just released a new one so I'm also going to post the original. I don't care if I'm reposting, they're so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UanTCFKKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZu1hxAQQ0

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Coxswain Balls posted:

He just released a new one so I'm also going to post the original. I don't care if I'm reposting, they're so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UanTCFKKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZu1hxAQQ0

Legendary

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Coxswain Balls posted:

*snip*
*snop*

Ok so like, I thought the first one was pretty good. Nothing to lose your gourd over.

But the second one is, actually, phenomenal.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
loving Guitar of Longinus lmao.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
eh, the video editing in the 2nd one is fantastic but the mashup loses it's poo poo hard when it hits the chorus. 1st one works way better musically but i also enjoy the source songs more so bias

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

That's fair I think i just got caught up in the hype of it, I like Tribute and The Beast so when it kicked in :eyepop:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I don't know if they're on by default, but I would recommend turning on subtitles for those two mash-ups.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I remember the very first time I ever watched Evangelion - I was 13-14, and it was maybe ~1998, and frankly it feels longer than a lifetime ago. I was an avid M:TG player at the time, and the Card Shop that I played at and spent all my spare time at was a sort of multi-purpose geek-friendly place that did it all. They sold and hosted traditional D&D-type games as well as the weekly Magic drafts and tourneys, plus they sold manga/comics and anime. This was 1997 though, so the most popular thing was a fabulous fansub rental library the owner ran out of the store. It was SO cool in retrospect that I had access to that.

However, people may not remember but NGE was licensed VERY VERY early, both the anime and the subsequent manga were on the shelves in the mid-90s... I still have a FLIPPED copy of the first manga volume of NGE - there was no manga industry in America yet, and thus no real established standards at the time! Kinda funny, heh.

Well, they would just run anime on the big TV sometimes in the back where we played. The owner would also do these "all night" events, which are more innocent than they sound - almost all the patrons were 16 and under, you see. So once a month on a Saturday, he'd keep the store open all night through to the next day, and they'd run anime all night long non-stop along with never-ending booster drafts (an M:TG thing). It'd always be really fun, actually! I caught some of Eva for the first time when I was maybe barely 15 on one of those nights, and I felt like I just absolutely MUST watch the whole thing! Luckily for me, a good friend of mine had the WHOLE series officially on videocassette and didn't even want them anymore - he was basically just GIVING them to me... And that's what he did. I suddenly had 13 freaking heavy videocassettes, 2 episodes each, but I was very happy.

One more thing.. I cannot stress this enough. Every single videotape I had ever seen in my life up to this point was black. Didn't matter what the movie was, or if it was a blank tape, or *anything* - movies and tapes were a big part of life growing up in the late '80s and '90s, and save for the identifying sticker they always were the same in shape, size, and color.

But NOT the NGE tapes. Upon taking out the first tape, I was almost blinded! The plastic used to make THESE cassettes was a snow-bright white! It was incredibly distinctive, and I can't really communicate just what a big deal that felt like... the NGE tapes being white like that. It was so totally unlike anything and everything I'd seen, and movies were a big part of life. I ended up giving my friend like $40 to keep all the tapes, which he thought he ripped me off on, but given how much I sold them for 10 years later it was a BARGAIN. Those tapes really made the show... even more special than it already was, in this very odd way. Hard to really explain or describe...

On a more practical note, any clues or hints as to 4.44 or when it comes out?

Oh, also.. Any good new merchandise places to look?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The fourth movie was just about to come out, but they delayed its theatrical release due to the ongoing pandemic. So when people are comfortable going back to movie theaters is the likely answer.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

safe to say the film is (almost?) done with production, which is very exciting

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
its really cute that japan and the anime industry thinks that movie theaters are even going to exist a year from now when we all emerge from quarantine and the capitalist landscape has permanently shifted into a post covid world.

just release it on the internet and bluray already thanks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Tech Romancer kicked rear end and is one of my favorite Dreamcast games. All of the fighters were mechs that were very obvious homages to existing media properties from super robots like Mazinger to real robots like Macross. One of them was pretty clearly an Eva, and I remember it having a progressive knife as an item, as well as a lance of Longinus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XMNsmnHOtU

lol, the pilot is even a blue haired woman named Kei.

Yes dude! Yes!!!! I loved this loving game.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Zeruel posted:

safe to say the film is (almost?) done with production, which is very exciting

The film is (not) done with production

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oppo coming in with a gimmick phone, and that’s coming from someone who has one of the Sharp phones from way back when:

https://youtu.be/VNdduh2DMMQ

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Stalin-Chan posted:

its really cute that japan and the anime industry thinks that movie theaters are even going to exist a year from now when we all emerge from quarantine and the capitalist landscape has permanently shifted into a post covid world.

they still famously use fax machines so

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stalin-Chan posted:

I'm trying to get Mr. Gainax on the phone to update him but I think he's playing one of those mobile games for perverts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That post gets extra funny when Japanese theaters have been open again for like a week

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Midjack posted:

Oppo coming in with a gimmick phone, and that’s coming from someone who has one of the Sharp phones from way back when:

https://youtu.be/VNdduh2DMMQ

On one hand, I need a new phone and would love to get my hands on this cause I'm already collecting all Evangelion poo poo. On the other, there's a lot of hoops to jump through to get one to Europe and I'm lazy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can you imagine the sheer rage if Netflix was like "We're paying Anno/Trigger/ProdIG to make more Evangelion!!!*

*"More" as in lovely Netflix CGI a-la-Saint Seiya

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Can you imagine the sheer rage if Netflix was like "We're paying Anno/Trigger/ProdIG to make more Evangelion!!!*

Maybe we can get FLCL 4!!!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FilthyImp posted:

ANIMA will finally get its time in the spotlight

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

ANIMA will finally get its time in the spotlight

"Hello, SEELE? Yeah can we uh get this Instrumentality thing going sooner rather than later?"

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Wait, 4? Well now I know what I'm watching tonight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The second season was pretty much okay, but the third... Really didn’t land for me at all (though it also had the more memorable ending theme of the two).

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

CodfishCartographer posted:

Kazuya Tsurumaki will finally be free so maybe he'll make something cool in the near future.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

FilthyImp posted:

look as long as shinji and karou kiss i will accept a significant drop in quality

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

The second season was pretty much okay, but the third... Really didn’t land for me at all (though it also had the more memorable ending theme of the two).
I thought it was 2 that was the really bad one and 3 was the one that was actually good but nobody watched bc of how bad 2 was

(This is hearsay, I have not watched either.)

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good posted:

I thought it was 2 that was the really bad one and 3 was the one that was actually good but nobody watched bc of how bad 2 was

(This is hearsay, I have not watched either.)

I can't comment on 3 but yeah 2 was just so.... Nothing that I never bothered with 3

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
FLCL 2 and 3 were both mediocre. I wouldn't call them bad, they both have some interesting and entertaining stuff in them, but overall they're meh. The problem is the original is one of the best anime ever made so they definitely fall very short of it and look much worse in comparison. I do think they get a bit of a bad rap and would be viewed a bit more positively if they didn't have the FLCL association, but they're both still kind of forgettable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
3 was better than 2 but completely failed to stick the landings, neither of them should have been made in the first place

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot what you were all talking about and for a moment thought you were talking about the rebuilds :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uniqlo’s Evangelion shirts are up on their site: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ut-graphic-tees/evangelion

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Midjack posted:

Uniqlo’s Evangelion shirts are up on their site: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/ut-graphic-tees/evangelion

If I was swole enough I'd be all over that Beast Form 2nd Phase shirt, although lord knows their models ain't.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I would like an eva shirt, but there’s nothing minimalist or subtle enough to be recognized by someone who likes it and, and isn’t anything but dork Japanese robot by anyone who doesn’t know what it is

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
effed up that they wouldn't make a shirt with this design

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Only if the reverse is pure white and the design is those reiblob heads and hand pushing out like they're souls trying to get free of Freddy Kreuger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I would only buy an Evangelion figure if it was Toast Rei. If it exists, please let me know.