Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Just grab from a reputable vendor and you won't get chinese forged vg-10 or whatnot i.e. chefknviestogo
Is chefsknivestogo a reputable vendor or where the Chinese forgeries come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
They're legit. I've bought some sharpening supplies and I think a gyuto from them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

That Old Ganon posted:

Is chefsknivestogo a reputable vendor or where the Chinese forgeries come from?
Very legit.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
http://japan-blades.com/ & https://www.hocho-knife.com/ Are good too.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
My dad got me these for Christmas: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ikea-365-3-piece-knife-set-90341170/

1.5 month report:
They are actually pretty rad. Super lightweight, comfortable, and because they are IKEA I don't need to treat them with extreme care. I have shelved my Victorinox-Fibrox for now, it's needing some sharpening anyway but yeah. That said, my wife swears by her cuisinart knives, but I think it's mostly because they are red.

Also ran across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBINMUdlJ14 - I thought it was particularly well done. My dad has used that Accusharp with the blue strap for 20 some years and swears by it, I have always been skeptical that it doesn't do poo poo/ruins knives, but I suppose I just wasn't using it enough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hey knife thread, I've jumped into GWS twice before to look for some opinions for proper knife-gifts for friends and always got a solid recommendation in short order (including my HGS Damastmesser), but this time, I'm looking for a gift for my old man, who's turning 80 in a month.
For the last 30 years, it's been a running joke in our family that he loves to pretend-complain in a good-natured way about knives at every home he's invited to, and frequently exclaims "you could ride this knife" whenever he's not happy with the edge of a knife (including his own knives when they're poorly-sharpened).

Man's also been raving about "one of these days" owning a) a Harley and b) a Japanese knife, but he never got around to pulling the trigger on b) and - thank god - has come to terms with being too old for a).
So I'm looking to buy him a proper and versatile Japanese chef's knife as a gift, along with giving him a workshop on proper knife-sharpening.

Now my question isn't so much what to buy, since I'm already eyeballing some Gyotu-style knives with a wooden handle (I know, I'm sorry, but I'm trying to find the right balance between proper functionality and look/worksmanship, since my dad really values the latter), but more one about reputable vendors like That Old Ganon asked further up.
I don't mind shelling out some extra cash for international shipping, but since I'm shooting for something in the 150+ Euro range, I'm wondering whether there are any goon-approved European-based online-shops where I don't a) get a forgery-grade knife and b) can put the 47$ in shipment into the actual value of the product.

Would y'all have any recommendations?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hello thread,

I bought a Mac Professional Chef's Knife that's got hard japanese steel. anyone have any insight on the limit of what I can use this thing on to avoid chipping? I'm not planning on sawing through bone or anything but then I read I should avoid even cutting the root end of a garlic clove with it. that sound right? I want to take care of it but not baby it any more than necessary.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I know there are a bunch of BA fans here, this came across my browser yesterday:
https://lamsonproducts.com/products/39658

Apparently so many people called them asking about Brad's knife they put it back into production.

e; A few months old it seems, but thought I saw the question raised in a thread at some point recently.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 13, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AndrewP posted:

hello thread,

I bought a Mac Professional Chef's Knife that's got hard japanese steel. anyone have any insight on the limit of what I can use this thing on to avoid chipping? I'm not planning on sawing through bone or anything but then I read I should avoid even cutting the root end of a garlic clove with it. that sound right? I want to take care of it but not baby it any more than necessary.

nah that's absurd although someone here chipped a knife on a tortilla chip

just use common sense.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

nah that's absurd although someone here chipped a knife on a tortilla chip

just use common sense.

thanks, that seemed a little ridiculous. but I do have a cheap (and currently dull as hell) knife I can use on questionable things.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't like to use my Mac on sweet potatoes or hard winter squash, but I am probably being overly precious about it. I use it on everything else. Be careful working around bones.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

One of my knives is like 64 hrc and I used to break down winter squash with it with no problems. As long as you're not really torqueing it you should be fine.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I got a new CCK. Pictured with 7" gyuto for scale. It's the biggest one from this pile at wok shop and I was surprised to see a mirror finish come out of the package. It's a good bit heavier and thicker than their comparably priced vegetable cleaver, which is also a great knife but it's a little light for some jobs. I put a fresh shaving edge on it and then broke down 4 chickens, and then chopped up those carcasses, a couple others from the freezer and a pile of vegetables to make stock. It's not shave-sharp anymore but it was really satisfying at the end of all that to feel zero resistance chopping a big pile of carrots at once. Another $20 knife purchase well spent imo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 15, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I got a new CCK. Pictured with 7" gyuto for scale. It's the biggest one from this pile at wok shop and I was surprised to see a mirror finish come out of the package. It's a good bit heavier and thicker than their comparably priced vegetable cleaver, which is also a great knife but it's a little light for some jobs. I put a fresh shaving edge on it and then broke down 4 chickens, and then chopped up those carcasses, a couple others from the freezer and a pile of vegetables to make stock. It's not shave-sharp anymore but it was really satisfying at the end of all that to feel zero resistance chopping a big pile of carrots at once. Another $20 knife purchase well spent imo

I bought that exact knife last year. The edge needs more frequent tending, but I'm also using it to chop bones. Hasn't chipped and holds up surprisingly well for $20. It's a fair bit lighter than my Dexter cleaver, so for poultry it's kind of perfect when I'm just hacking it into bits. I also bought the #3 and left it at my parents so I have something that they won't use and will be reasonably sharp every time I visit. The #3 is a lot lighter and really good for veggies. The finish has held up really well now for over a year, and I use it more days than not.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Looking to pick up a couple extra things for breaking down big pieces of meat and would like recommendations for a decent slicer and boning knife

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poverty goat posted:

I got a new CCK.
Not a criticism, but that's not a CCK. I don't recognise the brand--and interestingly it doesn't appear to be the same as the wee #4 something-or-other I bought from wokshop years ago--but it's definitely not CCK. The markings on a CCK are inverted--the actual stamped part is a square outlining each character rather than the character itself--and every CCK has the phone number of their office in HK (2385 0317).

Here's the blade markings on a CCK KF1201 as an example:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ This is true. The CCK is also much more expensive these days, but are supposed to be better knives. This is just some cheap steel that’s not too bad, and does a good job at being cheap and hacking through bones (although I’ve only gone through poultry and smaller pork bones).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

big black turnout posted:

Looking to pick up a couple extra things for breaking down big pieces of meat and would like recommendations for a decent slicer and boning knife

Victorinox cimitar and boning knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I got that same knife somewhere else and although it said carbon steel on the description it was definitely stainless (wouldn’t rust)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jhet posted:

^ This is true. The CCK is also much more expensive these days, but are supposed to be better knives. This is just some cheap steel that’s not too bad, and does a good job at being cheap and hacking through bones (although I’ve only gone through poultry and smaller pork bones).

Being cheap is a big plus with this kind of abuse in mind. Why risk a more expensive knife when this will do it?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poverty goat posted:

Being cheap is a big plus with this kind of abuse in mind. Why risk a more expensive knife when this will do it?

I wouldn't want to do it with a lighter knife either. Getting through uncooked pork rib bones in one good whack though? It's a satisfying feeling and I won't feel bad if I chip it. Also yes, definitely stainless.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I know there are a bunch of BA fans here, this came across my browser yesterday:
https://lamsonproducts.com/products/39658

Apparently so many people called them asking about Brad's knife they put it back into production.

e; A few months old it seems, but thought I saw the question raised in a thread at some point recently.

I was thinking about buying one of these, but there were a handful of posts on Reddit about really bad quality control.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shroomie posted:

I was thinking about buying one of these, but there were a handful of posts on Reddit about really bad quality control.

I ended up grabbing one. The knife itself is good, but I can def see some issues with the grip itself. Some cracking in the wood around the rivets out of the box. I treated it and it looks much better and handles fine, but that criticism is fair.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello knife goons. I just got my carbon steel yanagi-ba out to do some sushi and noticed it has a weird patina on it.

It's all over the end of the knife, mostly on the back but some on the beveled side. It doesn't look like it's damaged or rusted, just that the previous mirror polish is gone. What happened here? How can I fix it? I wash by hand right after I'm done using it and dry it immediately, it wasn't put away wet or anything. I've only used it for sushi, so it hasn't cut anything but fish and maybe nori. It may have come in contact with the rice which would be acidic, but the pattern of the splotches doesn't look related to that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello knife goons. I just got my carbon steel yanagi-ba out to do some sushi and noticed it has a weird patina on it.

It's all over the end of the knife, mostly on the back but some on the beveled side. It doesn't look like it's damaged or rusted, just that the previous mirror polish is gone. What happened here? How can I fix it? I wash by hand right after I'm done using it and dry it immediately, it wasn't put away wet or anything. I've only used it for sushi, so it hasn't cut anything but fish and maybe nori. It may have come in contact with the rice which would be acidic, but the pattern of the splotches doesn't look related to that.
Carbon steel gonna patina. That's perfectly normal, is nothing to worry about, and will actually help protect the blade from rust.

But if you want to get a mirror polish on the knife again just get some polishing cream and a rag and go to town.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

Carbon steel gonna patina. That's perfectly normal, is nothing to worry about, and will actually help protect the blade from rust.

But if you want to get a mirror polish on the knife again just get some polishing cream and a rag and go to town.

Okay, cool. My other Japanese knife hasn't formed any kind of patina, but even though it's carbon steel it's not the same type so that may explain it. I just don't use this knife as often so was wondering if I stored it improperly or something. I don't mind losing the mirror finish, I was just concerned I'd damaged it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, cool. My other Japanese knife hasn't formed any kind of patina, but even though it's carbon steel it's not the same type so that may explain it. I just don't use this knife as often so was wondering if I stored it improperly or something. I don't mind losing the mirror finish, I was just concerned I'd damaged it.
This is all perfectly normal including--especially--the part about the patina suddenly forming out of nowhere with no particular change in usage or care. You could buy two identical knives and use then for the same stuff and care for them in the same way and one day you'll wake up to find one has developed patina and one hasn't. If you carry an oldschool multi-blade folding pocketknife you can observe this in the different blades of a single knife. It's why some people just go ahead a force a patina on carbon steel blades that are going to actually be used regularly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to get a new sharpening setup. I had a sharpmaker and a knockoff of the other type whose name is escaping me and it’s pissing me off. But I’m seeing lots of ads now for other versions of that same setup, the kind that clamps your knife and you run the stone over it on an adjustable arm. Is there a new hotness in terms of brand or whatnot to get? My knives are getting dull and I want to fix that.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want to get a new sharpening setup. I had a sharpmaker and a knockoff of the other type whose name is escaping me and it’s pissing me off. But I’m seeing lots of ads now for other versions of that same setup, the kind that clamps your knife and you run the stone over it on an adjustable arm. Is there a new hotness in terms of brand or whatnot to get? My knives are getting dull and I want to fix that.

This guy did a nice comparison of a few systems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDyYJJ6f9M

Cheapest, but still quite good: Lansky
Starts at $40: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/std-3-stone-system/

Pros:
- Cheap and gets good results
- Straight forward to use because it has only a few angles it can sharpen at.

Cons:
- Set angles
- Kinda awkward to use

Middle Ground: Edge Pro
Starts at $165: https://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

Pros:
- Variable angles
- Not as expensive as Wicked Edge
- System can be gotten cheaper by shoping for Chinese knock-offs that are compatible with the stones. You will have to fiddle a bit with those kits initially.

Cons:
- A bit more setup time vs lansky.
- A bit on the expensive side.

Absolute best, and most expensive: Wicked Edge
Starts at $250: https://wickededgeusa.com/products/wicked-edge-go

Pros:
- Extreme amounts of angle control, very easy to get a mirror edge shine with how repeatable it is.
- You can sharpen both sides of the blade at the same time (Only system I know of that you can do this)

Cons:
- Expensive starting cost. Starts at $250 for the Go model. More expensive models need an additional base to mount to. (Not actually sure if there is a good reason to get anything besides the Go now)
- Expensive stones. You have to buy two of everything.
- Setup time. It's takes a bit longer to setup than the other systems, if only because there is an extra arm to set.
- There is something unsettling about having the sharp side facing upwards

Spinny, expensive option: TSProf
Starts at $360: https://shop.tsprof.com/kits/94-standard-k02.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8dd1ZzjTg

Honestly I don't think this one is worth it. At $360 I'd rather just get a Wicked Edge Go and spend the extra hundred on stones. Or just pocket the hundred.

edit:
Oh yeah, electric options.

Worksharp - Ken Onion Edition or Culinary Both are $150
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener/
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/culinary/e5-kitchen-knife-sharpener/

Pros:
- Fast
- Easy to use
- Uses belts, not as damaging as the wheels most electric sharpeners use.

Cons:
- A bit easier to ruin tip of knife if you aren't careful.
- Culinary system has only 1 set angle of 17 degrees a side. If you want more, you have to shell out $50 for an upgrade kit to have 15 and 20 degree options.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 8, 2020

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Carbon steel patina crew

https://imgur.com/a/wSdX4cE

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

This guy did a nice comparison of a few systems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDyYJJ6f9M

Cheapest, but still quite good: Lansky
Starts at $40: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/std-3-stone-system/

Pros:
- Cheap and gets good results
- Straight forward to use because it has only a few angles it can sharpen at.

Cons:
- Set angles
- Kinda awkward to use

Middle Ground: Edge Pro
Starts at $165: https://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

Pros:
- Variable angles
- Not as expensive as Wicked Edge
- System can be gotten cheaper by shoping for Chinese knock-offs that are compatible with the stones. You will have to fiddle a bit with those kits initially.

Cons:
- A bit more setup time vs lansky.
- A bit on the expensive side.

Absolute best, and most expensive: Wicked Edge
Starts at $250: https://wickededgeusa.com/products/wicked-edge-go

Pros:
- Extreme amounts of angle control, very easy to get a mirror edge shine with how repeatable it is.
- You can sharpen both sides of the blade at the same time (Only system I know of that you can do this)

Cons:
- Expensive starting cost. Starts at $250 for the Go model. More expensive models need an additional base to mount to. (Not actually sure if there is a good reason to get anything besides the Go now)
- Expensive stones. You have to buy two of everything.
- Setup time. It's takes a bit longer to setup than the other systems, if only because there is an extra arm to set.
- There is something unsettling about having the sharp side facing upwards

Spinny, expensive option: TSProf
Starts at $360: https://shop.tsprof.com/kits/94-standard-k02.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8dd1ZzjTg

Honestly I don't think this one is worth it. At $360 I'd rather just get a Wicked Edge Go and spend the extra hundred on stones. Or just pocket the hundred.

edit:
Oh yeah, electric options.

Worksharp - Ken Onion Edition or Culinary Both are $150
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener/
https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/culinary/e5-kitchen-knife-sharpener/

Pros:
- Fast
- Easy to use
- Uses belts, not as damaging as the wheels most electric sharpeners use.

Cons:
- A bit easier to ruin tip of knife if you aren't careful.
- Culinary system has only 1 set angle of 17 degrees a side. If you want more, you have to shell out $50 for an upgrade kit to have 15 and 20 degree options.

Awesome. Looks I have some videos to watch before I decide. Appreciate the thorough response.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if I go with the Wicked Edge, should I pick up additional stones, or are the 200/600 stones it comes with fine? Should I get the stropping stuff as well? I can see how this quickly spirals into an expensive purchase.

edit: This looks right for me actually any reason not to? https://wickededgeusa.com/products/wicked-edge-go-deluxe-pack

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 8, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've been getting targeted ads for Misen knives a bunch the past week - anyone try one before or is it one of those companies that spends more on advertising than quality? Not even looking to buy, just curious.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I've been getting targeted ads for Misen knives a bunch the past week - anyone try one before or is it one of those companies that spends more on advertising than quality? Not even looking to buy, just curious.

From everything I've heard they're pretty crap. Buy a Tojiro, or a Mac.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 8, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's like grey goose but even that fails since the proof would be 40.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I bought one back off the kickstarter, I wouldn't repurchase, and in fact I posted about how my knife split right in what should be the strongest part while crushing garlic. Their customer service team was nice at least.

Edit: Here's the post

Carillon posted:

Whelp so much for the vaunted Misen knife lol. I was smashing garlic, old garlic too so it wasn't rock hard or anything.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Carillon posted:

I bought one back off the kickstarter, I wouldn't repurchase, and in fact I posted about how my knife split right in what should be the strongest part while crushing garlic. Their customer service team was nice at least.

Edit: Here's the post

Hah there it is. Somehow I saw their instagram ad and just knew.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So if I go with the Wicked Edge, should I pick up additional stones, or are the 200/600 stones it comes with fine? Should I get the stropping stuff as well? I can see how this quickly spirals into an expensive purchase.

edit: This looks right for me actually any reason not to? https://wickededgeusa.com/products/wicked-edge-go-deluxe-pack

If you have the money, I'd say go for it. It's not a bad kit, you'd have everything you need to put some incredibly sharp edges on pretty much anything you wanted. Except a straight razor, you'd need some additional, finer grit stones. That being said, you would still have a nice sharpening kit with just the Base Go + 800/1000 stones. The strops just let you get a nicer finish on the knives. And if all you are sharpening are kitchen knives, the strops are a waste of effort. The finish they impart would last like one cutting session.

edit:
I should add, personally I would rather go from the 1000 to a higher grit diamond/ceramic stone vs. the strops. But that would cost more money.

Also I was looking over some youtube videos on the Go, it seems a lot of people ended up clamping it to the edge of their table when they use it for more stability. Just something to keep in mind.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 8, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Stropping kitchen knives is absolutely not a waste of time if you care about getting your knives sharp as possible. I mean if you're just coarse chopping an onion or something then it's not absolutely essential or anything. But literally anyone who's ever used a knife before would be able to tell the difference between, for example, cutting a tomato with the same knife before and after stropping.

I mean I agree that if you're just getting into sharpening maybe don't make things any more complicated than they have to be while you get the hang of things. But hard disagree on stropping being a waste of time on kitchen knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's a good strop available on Amazon? I have a whetstone but never got around to a strop.