Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Fenarisk posted:

Since I'm moving to a house early June I thought hey, maybe I can just get some weights for the garage since the gyms won't be open until maybe fall.

If you want a chuckle try shopping online, and if you want a heart attack check your local FB marketplace or Craigslist. Basic baby 15 to 20 pound dumbbells are listed for hundreds of dollars, and a barbell/bench/100 pounds of plates was listed for $1200.
Literally everyone who lifts weights is thinking "I can't get to the gym, I should buy weights" right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Literally everyone who lifts weights is thinking "I can't get to the gym, I should buy weights" right now

Same reason why there's huge shortages of art supplies and crazy markups everywhere online. I was looking for watercolor-friendly paper as part of my sister's birthday gift and it took forever to find an option that was actually in-stock soon or not stupidly expensive.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And puzzles.

The trick is to think of poo poo before everyone else in the country does. Like if you're concerned about meat shortages, you should already be stockpiling pet food. Nobody has mentioned it yet afaik, but pets are obligate carnivores and pet food is obviously going to be lowest priority

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Same reason why there's huge shortages of art supplies and crazy markups everywhere online. I was looking for watercolor-friendly paper as part of my sister's birthday gift and it took forever to find an option that was actually in-stock soon or not stupidly expensive.

ah, someone just learning about art i see

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OMFG FURRY posted:

my favorite oils are Old Holland *clenches butthole*

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

You just want the government to give you a crash pad before your mom kicks you out. Just get a boyfriend like everyone else.

Well how about you :biglips: :biglips:?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

OMFG FURRY posted:

Well, yeah. But I mean paper that wasn't almost double the price markup compared to the usual.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 8, 2020

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Well how about you :biglips: :biglips:?

I'm done falling for the scam of being loved

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

Since I'm moving to a house early June I thought hey, maybe I can just get some weights for the garage since the gyms won't be open until maybe fall.

If you want a chuckle try shopping online, and if you want a heart attack check your local FB marketplace or Craigslist. Basic baby 15 to 20 pound dumbbells are listed for hundreds of dollars, and a barbell/bench/100 pounds of plates was listed for $1200.

Gyms here are closed until at least September but there are still weights available. Selection is way down but you can still pick up 45 lbs plates for pre lockdown prices.
US locked down later so you also had your supply shock later. New fitness stuff should come trickling in from China in a few weeks (that's how it happened here).

E: also closed from March to September, let's be real most gyms aren't opening up again.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 8, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

punishedkissinger posted:

You should have saved up three months of mortgage payments.

Inept posted:

Yeah, shelter is one of those basic things you don't have much of a choice about. Being a landlord is a choice though, and you should really be able to float a few months of your units being vacant or not paying, or you should get out of the business.

It’s like you didn’t even read his post bc you folks were so quick to get on your high morality horse.

Pick posted:

*a nice landlord posts*

Everyone: everyone quick!! Accost the poo poo out of him!!

Uh...I...agree with pick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

I'm done falling for the scam of being loved

:same: It's me and cats forever!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

:same: It's me and cats forever!

🐈 :hf: 🐈

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, strippers,probably in 2023 when the 'Rona is finished

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pick posted:

*a nice landlord posts*

Everyone: everyone quick!! Accost the poo poo out of him!!

no such thing hth

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Earwicker posted:

and while yes, there is also the matter that many people are financially desperate to go back to work, addressing this through cancelling rent and mortgages, combined with regular income from the government at least through summer, plus other forms of debt reduction would go way, way further than a major reopening. many of the people who are pushing the above narrative are very much aware of this, and that's why the narrative is being pushed and funded by the likes of the Koch and de Vos families.

The_Franz posted:

It's the idea that the only way the US won't completely collapse is by the government instituting social programs, which breaks their brains because it goes against everything that the right-wing talking heads have conditioned them to believe for the last 20+ years. Their worldview is collapsing in front of them, and, rather than admit that the system has serious structural flaws, their reaction is to double down on the bootstraps bullshit because they really want to believe that if the restaurants and barber shops open back up, everything will just magically spring back to normal, except that's obviously not going to happen.
Sadly makes way too much sense. Still, I understand why ~average people~ who consume right-wing media are behaving as they are, but Koch/De Vos? Maybe I'm dense but I don't get their endgame here. Like, I get that the Kochs can fund climate denial because it makes them money now and they'll vacate this mortal coil (one of 'em already did!) before the environment becomes untenable. That makes sense from a certain psychopathic perspective. But the economic consequences of not handling this virus are already severe, and long-term, the economy would be better off if we did some not-fun lockdown stuff for 6-8 weeks and then carefully - carefully - opened some things back up.

Koch/De Vos/etc. have to know this, right? They are amoral as gently caress, but not stupid.

Burt Sexual posted:

Settle down dude, I wasn’t pushing corporate bailouts

And to haircut guy upthread, my daughter going to cut mine next week when my clippers arrive. I give no shits it’ll look better than the straw covid look now.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Hair-Clippers
You'll also want stylist scissors, which can be gotten at Walgreens or w/e. The main difference between those and household scissors is the small finger-holes plus the little ring-finger handle bit that allows for fine motor control.

Anyway, my wife cut my hair the other day for the first time ever and actually did a...really good job! She watched a bunch of YouTube videos to learn how and wrote out the process on a sheet of paper to reference as she was going through it. Here's one she recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJdkCz6Avk

Fenarisk posted:

I picked up a basic EZ-bar for my work gym for like $70 not long before The Meltdown. Now it's listed at over $200. Adjustable dumbbells went from $200 to something like $800 or $1000, hah.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Say Koch de Vos out loud

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

is it safe to say anyone still dropping flu stats in any capacity at this point is gas lighting?

They're either gaslighting or a total loving idiot

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know why I laughed so hard at this image.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

i bought my weights like a week in to this just before the gyms closed because i was like yup im gonna go mad if i can't do any exercise and can't leave the house

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Did a countdown clock just appear for anyone else or have I lost it

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Supreme Allah posted:

Did a countdown clock just appear for anyone else or have I lost it

Yeah, it's there for me

1 hour 8 minutes 46 seconds and then nothing happens

I think it's the end of the world

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Uh oh.

Is it my guillotine clock?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's showing 0:0:0:0 for me :ohdear:

Edit: IF YOU ARE READING THIS I AM ALREADY DEAD

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

countdown to people whining in QCS about the countdown

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's showing 0:0:0:0 for me :oh dear:

Me too, i think noscript is blocking whatever should be there

You know what I prefer not knowing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's showing 0:0:0:0 for me :ohdear:

Edit: IF YOU ARE READING THIS I AM ALREADY DEAD

:same:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Again.

How long until local law enforcement just says no and stops them?

That would require literally anyone in local law enforcement to have a spine or believe in anything, so never.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

is it safe to say anyone still dropping flu stats in any capacity at this point is gas lighting?

I wonder how bad this is going to be compared to the flu as a simple factor? 4x? 10x? 100x?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

dwarf74 posted:

Would a cheaper beard trimmer be powerful enough to cut down my ungainly hair?

It works fine on my beard, but I don't want to get into a situation where it stops working like halfway through :v:
i couldnt find my set of guards for my plug in clippers so i used my phillips beard trimmer and it worked but it felt like i was pushing it to its limit and charge it twice

you could also just cover your body in nair

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Someone please call the police and get a wellness check on Lowtax.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

Me too, i think noscript is blocking whatever should be there

You know what I prefer not knowing

Times are different for people in different time zones. If you have a vpn I’m sure that’s throwing it off. It’s also all zeros for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tests - necessarily great? Or not necessarily great? Let's ask a very smart man!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1258838201818476544

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAha ha ha ha he's so fuckin' dumb. So amazingly fuckin' dumb. You guys are all SO doomed.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Romes128 posted:

Times are different for people in different time zones. If you have a vpn I’m sure that’s throwing it off. It’s also all zeros for me.

That shouldn't be a problem for decent software, as the use of universal time plus time zone should take care of that.

For me, in NL, it shows zeroes as well, but the published screenshot told me it was counting down to my local midnight, the start of Saturday.

What is your opinion: does midnight belong to the preceding or the following day?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tests - necessarily great? Or not necessarily great? Let's ask a very smart man!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAha ha ha ha he's so fuckin' dumb. So amazingly fuckin' dumb. You guys are all SO doomed.

It's true, my grandfather never visited the doctor in 50 years. When he finally went they said he had prostate cancer. He was like, "See, that's why I never go to this poo poo! Now I have cancer!"

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

how is this even real

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cypher wasn’t exactly wrong tho.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Mike's flying to a far away place.

Is the VP dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Its really turning surreal how absolutely stupid this man is,
and then i remember hes the loving PRESIDENT OF THE USA jfc i cant wrap my head around this sometimes.

Im serious, i sometimes need to reality check myself after i read stuff like this but its the loving president of the loving usa and presumably "leader of the free world".

God dammit just elect a pig or horse, or some inanimate object next time