Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DarkHorse posted:

So Rand and Elayne (and Gawyn) are third cousins as they had a common great-grandmother Andoran Queen. Rand and Lan aren't related, except that Rand's uncle merged with Lan's cousin. Rand and Galad are half-brothers through their common mother, and Galad and Gawyn are half-brothers through their father. Moiraine is Galad's (half-)aunt because her half-brother is his father, but Rand and Moiraine are not related by blood.

The Aristocrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

And the fact that these people are all related makes the effort Elaida spent on her foretelling entirely fruitless.and pointless.

Elaida's vanity makes her interpret all her Foretellings in the way that most benefits herself. She completely omits any possibility of an alternate interpretation, and suppresses anyone who tries to bring it up.

Coincidentally:

elide

transitive verb
1a : to suppress or alter (something, such as a vowel or syllable) by elision
b : to strike out (something, such as a written word)
2a : to leave out of consideration : omit
b : curtail, abridge

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm up to Keille Shaogi's first appearance on my re-read of the books, and I love that Lanfear's lovely thespian skills that only work because she uses them on extremely ignorant rural children is one of those unspoken threads running through the books.

"No one will suspect that I, the beautiful Lanfear, am masquerading as Selene, the slightly less beautiful Cairhien noblewoman." *Disguise immediately falls apart when she meets someone who isn't dumb, horny, or Ogier.*

"No one will suspect that I, the beautiful Lanfear, am masquerading as Sylvie, the old, ugly serving woman!" *Egwene nods along at the Tairen serving lady who is on a first name basis with Ishamael and refers to the "Great Lord of the Dark" in regular conversation*

"No one will suspect that I, the beautiful Lanfear, am masquerading as Keille Shaogi, a fat peddler!" *Everyone is immediately freaked out by the fat lady who speaks, moves, and acts like a sexy seductress.*

I've got to say, as much as I get frustrated at the characters' ignorance and idiocy and falling for obvious crap, I still managed to miss who Sylvie was on my reread. It just goes to show you there's always blind spots

It's also fun seeing Perrin get offered to play Maiden's Kiss (when he's trying to move a Maiden by picking her up, and then continuing to do it after they put spears to his throat) and his confusion at what that might be; we've already had an explanation from Mat asking to play and his embarrassment at what happened, but being more familiar with Aiel culture I get to appreciate how Jordan was letting the reader through the characters learn about them.

Also Aviendha suggesting Egwene and Elayne just shank Berelain :fsn:

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Aristocrats!

Lmao at this

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DarkHorse posted:

Lmao at this

It is far and away my best page snipe.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Perrin and Maiden’s Kiss illustrates what I always liked best about him: he’s both genuine and implacable. He does what he thinks is right, drat the consequences, and sets about it in the most direct way possible.

He’s got a lot in common with Galad, now that I think about it. They both have extremely strong moral compasses, and follow them no matter the obstacles.

The biggest difference is that we most often see Galad through Elayne’s eyes, and she hates him. I wonder if he’d be more sympathetic if we knew his thoughts more often.

The chapter segment where he kills Valda is the only one I can think of where that happens, and it’s pretty good.

Almost everyone but Elayne seems to get along with Galad. At worst, he comes across a bit aloof or arrogant, but tolerably so.

Man Elayne really is the worst.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Mat's description of Galad really is my favorite.

"What every mother says she wants her son to be."

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Perrin is very much conscious of consequences. He doesn't always let them dissuade him, but he always makes sure to consider them unless Faile is in danger. One of his defining character traits is that many people think he is stupid because he always runs everything over in his mind, because he knows he is a very powerful person and could cause immense damage.

Meanwhile, Galad is firmly in the "I will follow the path of the Light, no matter what. The consequences will be the consequences, let things fall as the wheel wills." camp.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anybody whose moral compass leads them to join the whitecloaks has a seriously broken moral compass.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Anyone who successfully reforms the Whitecloaks is doing something right.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
In conclusion, Galad is a land of contrasts.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Lord Bude posted:

Anybody whose moral compass leads them to join the whitecloaks has a seriously broken moral compass.

There is a lot of value in what the Whitecloaks originally set themselves out to be.
It's also made clear that Galad doesn't see the normal failings of men, nor the massive potential for abuse inherent in such an organisation.
I mean, how could an independent police force, answerable only to themselves, with their own torturers possibly be a bad thing?

Hell, it's even spelt out in TOM - It wasn't supposed to be this way. But they were just men.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There is a lot of value in what the Whitecloaks originally set themselves out to be.
It's also made clear that Galad doesn't see the normal failings of men, nor the massive potential for abuse inherent in such an organisation.
I mean, how could an independent police force, answerable only to themselves, with their own torturers possibly be a bad thing?

Hell, it's even spelt out in TOM - It wasn't supposed to be this way. But they were just men.

The original Whitecloaks' mistrust towards the Aes Sedai is 100% justified. Turns out there really was a significant fraction of them who were darkfriends. Turns out they really did misuse their power on numerous occasions. Turns out even many of the non-darkfriends were corrupt in one form or another. Turns out they really deceive and manipulate lots of people, often for no greater aim than to enhance/retain their power. Turns out the question "who watches the watchers?" is an evergreen for a reason.

Of course, the Whitecloaks as an organization fell even further from their ideal than the Aes Sedai fell from being truly Servants of All. Not to mentions that basically all those charges that can be brought against the Aes Sedai can be brought against them as well, with the Children of the Light often being worse than the Aes Sedai. Wheel of Time in general is a tale of decline, including the decline of many organizations like the White Tower, Whitecloaks, etc.

This all reminds me of a very good scene with Cassandra Pentaghast in Dragon Age Inquisition, who says something similar about the Seekers of Truth: "We were meant to be incorruptible, above reproach. How seldom does reality match the ideal."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Galad just fails to see how rare he really is. There are many who claim incorruptibility, but very, very few who actually are.

And he really is the right man to start 'fixing' the Whitecloaks. Hell, he makes a bloody good go of it - he wastes the previous leader - according to their own rules!, disbands the Questioners, and personally takes the fight to the enemy regardless of the personal cost.

I guess I just have a soft spot for him.

Are the Whitecloaks meant to be a shadow of Aridhol? You could make a pretty strong case that they were very much on a similar path.

Second edit!

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 8, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Galad is great, once you see him from the point of view of someone other than Elayne. He's also terrible, he doesn't tend to think of the full consequences of an act before he does it because it is short term right. Sometimes that's great (gently caress Valda) and sometimes it's braindead (Christ leave Perrin alone man!). But overall he's a really strong character and I'm glad he's in the story and ends up with Berelain. They seem like each would temper the others' worse impulses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Are the Whitecloaks meant to be a shadow of Aridhol? You could make a pretty strong case that they were very much on a similar path.

Second edit!

They're clearly meant to parallel it, especially since you even have Fain fall right into the same role of corrupting advisor much as Mordeth did to Aridhol.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I even liked Pedron Niall to be fair.

I guess I like characters that are smart as all hell and ruthless in some regards but stick to their own moral codes in others.

PEDRON VS TYWIN DEATHMATCH

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cavelcade posted:

Galad is great, once you see him from the point of view of someone other than Elayne. He's also terrible, he doesn't tend to think of the full consequences of an act before he does it because it is short term right. Sometimes that's great (gently caress Valda) and sometimes it's braindead (Christ leave Perrin alone man!). But overall he's a really strong character and I'm glad he's in the story and ends up with Berelain. They seem like each would temper the others' worse impulses.

(disclaimer I'm only near the end of book 3)

Galad is exactly why lawful neutral characters are annoying as poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

(disclaimer I'm only near the end of book 3)

Galad is exactly why lawful neutral characters are annoying as poo poo.

while i don't disagree, i do respect them for sticking to their guns

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I even liked Pedron Niall to be fair.

I guess I like characters that are smart as all hell and ruthless in some regards but stick to their own moral codes in others.

PEDRON VS TYWIN DEATHMATCH

Tywin would have Niall killed with his own chess pieces before he even realized what was happening.

Also Galad owns.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

They're clearly meant to parallel it, especially since you even have Fain fall right into the same role of corrupting advisor much as Mordeth did to Aridhol.

Yup, and even Mordeth/Ordeith sound surprisingly similar

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zore posted:

DarkHorse posted:

Yup, and even Mordeth/Ordeith sound surprisingly similar

You understand they're the same person right? The - entity - known as Mordeth possessed the body of Padan Fain, becoming some kind of hybrid being, although the Mordeth personality appears to have gradually won out. He then got up to his old tricks, corrupting the Whitecloaks; those rebel nobles hiding in the forest, and also Elaida - Sometimes people forget that while she was always a self-centred arrogant rear end in a top hat; it was Fain/Mordeth that tipped her over the edge into full blown crazy. Fain/Mordeth used 'Ordeith' as a pseudonym while posing as various people's advisors. He might have played around with other people as well I forget.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just got to the Verin reveal and it’s real good. Coulda used that like 6 books ago Jordan!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ConfusedUs posted:

Elaida's vanity makes her interpret all her Foretellings in the way that most benefits herself. She completely omits any possibility of an alternate interpretation, and suppresses anyone who tries to bring it up.

Coincidentally:

elide

transitive verb
1a : to suppress or alter (something, such as a vowel or syllable) by elision
b : to strike out (something, such as a written word)
2a : to leave out of consideration : omit
b : curtail, abridge

This is genius; I did not pick up on this but wow it’s truth.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Lord Bude posted:

You understand they're the same person right? The - entity - known as Mordeth possessed the body of Padan Fain, becoming some kind of hybrid being, although the Mordeth personality appears to have gradually won out. He then got up to his old tricks, corrupting the Whitecloaks; those rebel nobles hiding in the forest, and also Elaida - Sometimes people forget that while she was always a self-centred arrogant rear end in a top hat; it was Fain/Mordeth that tipped her over the edge into full blown crazy. Fain/Mordeth used 'Ordeith' as a pseudonym while posing as various people's advisors. He might have played around with other people as well I forget.

Yeah, I was just mentioning for the Whitecloaks in particular he immediately starts running the same playbook as he did with Aridhol once he got out of Shadar Logoth and it was definitely supposed to be a parallel

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's like poetry, it rhymes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

One of my favorite internal monologue descriptions of the whitecloaks was Egeanin's "The very concept of a military force, answerable to no one, disgusted her" or somesuch.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I just got to the Verin reveal and it’s real good. Coulda used that like 6 books ago Jordan!

I spent all of that book wondering what was in her drat letter to Mat. What you find out is so much juicier.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished The Dragon Reborn. I took a long break in April since I was working through a movie marathon, so I need to go back and read a plot summary since I'm sure I've forgotten some threads.

But, I think it's functionally the best book of the three I've read so far. EOTW still holds the dearest place in my heart, since I kept trying to read it all through my teenage years, and therefore I know basically the first 1/4 of it by heart, but TDR is just fantastic. All of the characters have become their own fully fleshed out beings with their own personalities and motivations. Nobody is just Rand's traveling companion anymore. Actually, that was one of my favorite things about TDR, is that it barely featured Rand at all for most of it. I felt like he was a little too deus ex machina in the first two books (understandably so, of course), and he still sort of was at the end of TDR, but it felt more... I dunno, earned?

Random brain dump thoughts:
- Rand is finally seen as The Dragon. I guess a few groups of folks already knew he was after the battle in Falme (Tar Valon, Shienar), but now everyone knows it's true because he got Callandor? I feel like he'll be moving into more of a leadership role in the story, but I honestly am not sure what they're gonna do with Rand. Oh wait, he has an entire race of people (the Aiel) to lead now since they came specifically to find him.
- Mat is finally the trickster wanderer badass. The Odin comparisons are starting to become clearer, but I know some of Min's foreshadowing still hasn't happen. But why do Nynaeve/Egwene/Elayne look at him like he's a monster at the end of the book? Oh, wait, duh, I forgot he spent basically two and a half books as a sort of half-darkfriend because of that dagger. That's probably it. I guess they don't fully trust him? Hm, DOES he have some of the dark one in him now? Is that what's tumbling the dice in his head? I get why he's a fan favorite now that he's not sleeping through every chapter.
- Speaking of Mat, what's ailing Thom? He just started coughing and now he can't walk. Oh no...
- Perrin is finally becoming the hammer bashin' wolf badass. As a character, he's fascinating - he's the big burly blacksmith that also has the spirit of a wolf in him, which is cool, but as far as motivations go, I'm not sure where they're going with him. I've liked his chapters, and I'm glad he's experiencing more of the inner workings of the world (traveling through tel'aran'rhiod, accepting his wolf part, seeing the Forsaken in dreams). He makes a really interesting foil to the 3 Accepted girls.
- Nynaeve/Egwene/Elayne were obviously the most interesting part of this book, with their own sort of hero's journey in Tar Valon. I'll be interested to see if/how they get their own individual storylines, since they're sort of a package deal right now. I'm assuming the gray man assassin they came for them in Tar Valon was from the Black Ajah/Liandrin/etc? It's obvious where their story is going to go since they spell it out at the end of the book. They have to hunt the Black Ajah.
- I'm enjoying the newer characters, but they're sort of one dimensional so far (I mean, Faile has been around for, what, 10 chapters at this point?), so I'm interested to see how the Fellowship Of The Wheel grows or changes in the next book. There's probably a dozen new minor characters that I've forgotten about. I just hope Thom is okay :ohdear:

All in all, way different book than TGH. I like it better just personally, but I think TGH was perfect as a sequel to EOTW. After this brain dump, I'm going to go back and read plot summaries of the first 3 books since I'm sure there's some threads I've forgotten about (I'm what, 2000+ pages in now?, there's just so much).

Loving this series so much.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thanks for posting your takes as you read through, it's great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fwiw Thom has a limp because of that damned Myrddraal in whitebridge in the first book, and the cough was just him overexerting himself to find Elayne because he doesn't really take care of himself.

Great takes, keep it up.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I've always thought the first three books are kind of the prologue to the series.

They're good books, but it's only at the end of TDR you have the elements that make the world unique, and all the characters are finding their niches. Rand is the Dragon and accepts it, but what does he do next? How do you even begin saving the world knowing poo poo will get really bad regardless? Meanwhile there's absurdly powerful Forsaken walking free, manipulating kings and queens as they wish, and a whole mess of other factions all aiming for something or other.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I know I'm late to the party, but Elayne pretty much just says "He's a narc, Galad's a loving narc."

bell jar posted:

I spent all of that book wondering what was in her drat letter to Mat. What you find out is so much juicier.

I'm part way through Crown of Swords, when does it get revealed? I just got the reveal about the Kin.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey elayne you know what galad did that you didnt

sacrifice himself rather than his men

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey elayne you know what galad did that you didnt

sacrifice himself rather than his men

I mean she might have but a certain warder was all too against it...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh gently caress I just remembered that the Slavic version of Thor (Hammer wielding storm God) is named Perun

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I mean she might have but a certain warder was all too against it...

she never intentionally did it though, where Galad specifically put his life on the line for his men multiple times

Also watch the spoilers around cool corn :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aw :shobon: the thread doesn't need to be censored on my behalf but I appreciate it

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

COOL CORN posted:

- Rand is finally seen as The Dragon. I guess a few groups of folks already knew he was after the battle in Falme (Tar Valon, Shienar), but now everyone knows it's true because he got Callandor? I feel like he'll be moving into more of a leadership role in the story, but I honestly am not sure what they're gonna do with Rand. Oh wait, he has an entire race of people (the Aiel) to lead now since they came specifically to find him.

Falme was a big marker, but it didn't fulfill any of the Prophecies. Or, rather, it did, but most people wouldn't have realized it at this point because the Seanchan are so unknown. The Prophecies spell out explicitly that the Dragon will take the untakable fortress and wield the unwieldable sword, so there's no room for doubt.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

she never intentionally did it though, where Galad specifically put his life on the line for his men multiple times

Also watch the spoilers around cool corn :)

I was trying to be super obtuse and vague yeah. :v:

No worries CC, getting to see a new reader's perspective on the books is really awesome, given how many years and rereads it's been since I got that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Safety Biscuits posted:

"My lords, I have made you this magic Y-shaped spear that you must use together, each of you holding one arm of the Y, or else."

Or just train armies of women. Now every weapon they carry isn't made for one man to kill another! Oath upheld. :smugbird: