Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I've always thought the first three books are kind of the prologue to the series.

They're good books, but it's only at the end of TDR you have the elements that make the world unique, and all the characters are finding their niches. Rand is the Dragon and accepts it, but what does he do next? How do you even begin saving the world knowing poo poo will get really bad regardless? Meanwhile there's absurdly powerful Forsaken walking free, manipulating kings and queens as they wish, and a whole mess of other factions all aiming for something or other.

I was thinking something similar the other day. The first three books are the opening, the last three are the ending, and the middle chunk is what I normally think of as the series proper. In part that's everything staying status quo and big revelations just not happening, but it leads to a nice symmetry.

COOL CORN posted:

- Mat is finally the trickster wanderer badass. The Odin comparisons are starting to become clearer, but I know some of Min's foreshadowing still hasn't happen.

Contrary to what I just said, I think Mat's development takes place more over books 3-4-5, much as Rand's happens in 1-2-3. In The Dragon Reborn, he gets his own perspective chapters and you see his Luck come into play. In The Shadow Rising, he goes through the redstone doorways, receives prophecy, memories of battle, and even more explicit Odin parallels. And then in The Fires of Heaven (I think; haven't gotten there yet in my audiobook listen), he ends up in command of men and starts his path to being a general, and the sixth of the Great Captains. I think six. Bryne, Jagad, Bashere, Niall, Ituralde, Cauthon. Yeah. (A warder lists the first five off when Bryne shows up at Salidar.)

COOL CORN posted:

Aw :shobon: the thread doesn't need to be censored on my behalf but I appreciate it
I guess you can come back to this post in a couple books?

I will totally keep track of where you're at and spoiler whatever's not yet behind you. There's just so much to the series that it ends up making posts look like redacted documents. For instance, where I'm at, a couple books ahead of you, the best warder has just shown up. She's great. [Fires of Heaven spoiler]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Couple more books and there’s barely anything to spoil for about another four, so you got that going for ya.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Finally finished The Dragon Reborn. I took a long break in April since I was working through a movie marathon, so I need to go back and read a plot summary since I'm sure I've forgotten some threads.

Loving this series so much.

I'm on book 2 of this reread, and I'm getting the same feeling. Just... hold on to that, because while the next 4-5 get pretty jaw-dropping sometimes, those lovable character moments do start to vanish

speaking of, I'm book 2 and no braid has been pulled nor dress smoothed down. am I reading the right series? :ohdear:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That doesn’t seem right.

Edit: had to look it up haha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that spoilers seem perhaps not so important in this series in particular, because its nature is such that upcoming events that people usually would want to spoiler-tag are generally less about BIG UNEXPECTED TWISTS and more about intricate character moments that just don't make sense without context and will be quickly glossed over and forgotten. There isn't tbh a whole helluva lot about the story that can be "ruined" by knowing what's coming because you can pretty much guess how it will go from the first book, and every big development is basically announced with a megaphone a book or two in advance.

Of course there are things I'm eliding (lol) and I'm not saying not to spoiler but I'm just saying you likely won't singlehandedly ruin a new reader's experience

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The "meta" nature of the story also reduces the impact of spoilers. This is, explicitly, a story where time is a wheel and the same things happen over and over again. Infinite variations of the same story, of every story. WoT shamelessly steals from everything. It boils those stories down to their bones, and then assembles them in a new way.

That's how you have a book that is explicitly about the once and future king pulling a sword from the stone (of Tear) without it feeling like a complete rehash.

Hell, the series opens with a book about a bunch of country folk who are whisked away by a wizard because a great evil is after them while dodging black-cloaked figures on the road and who are later met by a powerful ally at the first inn they visit.

It amuses me that Nynaeve and Lan together are basically Aragorn. Nynaeve often fills Aragorn's role, and Lan has his backstory. Is it a surprise that their fates are continually intertwined? Is it a surprise that Nynaeve eventually raises an army for Lan to save the day and reclaim his birthright all at once?

No. Because they're Aragorn, and that's what Aragorn did. Is this a spoiler? Debatable.

All that said, I'm 100% OK with using spoilers when there's a new reader in the thread. The Babylon 5 thread does this for new watchers, and it's one of the most welcoming threads on the forums. It brings us a lot of joy when someone new pops in and wants to liveblog their thoughts. Using a few spoiler tags is a small price to pay for that joy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's like how one of the Heroes of the Horn, Birgitte Silverbow, is KIND OF Robin Hood if you squint pretty hard.

She discusses one of her past lives where she was raiding out of Braem Wood, and I worded it this way so as not to give away her importance

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's like how one of the Heroes of the Horn, Birgitte Silverbow, is KIND OF Robin Hood if you squint pretty hard.

She discusses one of her past lives where she was raiding out of Braem Wood, and I worded it this way so as not to give away her importance

or, how there is an in-universe story about a magical man named "Lenn" who travels to the Moon, who had a daughter "Salya" who "walked amongst the stars"

pretty clearly meant to be John Glenn, famous astronaut and Sally Ride, the first female astronaut in space

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

noted astronaut John Glenn who never actually went to the moon, lol

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

noted astronaut John Glenn who never actually went to the moon, lol

The story also said he rode in the belly of an Eagle, just like Armstrong's capsule. And talks about the giants (A)Merc(a) and Mosk(ow) who fought with light tipped lances of fire

So yeah things got garbled over thousands of turnings of the Wheel lol

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's also been two Alans who walked on the moon(Shepard and Bean), I could see 'Lenn" being a corruption of Alan.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Fishylungs posted:

I'm part way through Crown of Swords, when does it get revealed? I just got the reveal about the Kin.

Not until A Gathering Storm, I think. You've got a few books to go before the real juicy stuff starts happening.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished The Gathering Storm in my re-read and, man, so much happens in that book. Just an incredible amount.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

pretty clearly meant to be John Glenn, famous astronaut and Sally Ride, the first female astronaut in space

Third after Valentina Tereshkova and Svetlana Savitskaya, thank you :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Famethrowa posted:

or, how there is an in-universe story about a magical man named "Lenn" who travels to the Moon, who had a daughter "Salya" who "walked amongst the stars"

Note carefully astronaut. She was preceded by twenty years by Tereshkova.

fake edit: f,b.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

Third after Valentina Tereshkova and Svetlana Savitskaya, thank you :colbert:

Technically they would be cosmonauts.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

I thought Salya was a reference to the Salyut program

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
given the potential permutations of corrupted names and the ambiguity in descriptions of the legends you can just imagine they mean anything

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are we just going to not mention the millennia-bestriding figure of Wise Counselor Anla, whom we know as Ann Landers

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I mean you may as well mention that the legend of King Arthur is just a hazy retelling of the events that happen in the series while you're at it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Its also worth mentioning that the continent of Australia is now the Land of Madmen :discourse:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Are we just going to not mention the millennia-bestriding figure of Wise Counselor Anla, whom we know as Ann Landers

The Wheel of Time may have been the first time I heard of the figure.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Its also worth mentioning that the continent of Australia is now the Land of Madmen :discourse:

Wait, where's this in the books?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think it's only ever mentioned in passing at best, but it's covered in the world of the wheel

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It's also a Mad Max reference, where post-apocalyptic Australia devolves into roaming bands of survivors constantly preying on one another, where in "The Land of Madmen" guns and cars are replaced by channelers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

poo poo, I didn't even think of the Mad Max tie.

Someone please remake that dull game but with channelers tia

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Audiobook status:

quote:

“RAAAAHVIIIIN!”

I was wondering how the narrator would handle it and Michael Kramer loving nailed it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

Audiobook status:

I was wondering how the narrator would handle it and Michael Kramer loving nailed it.

Yeah that...that scene.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It's like he stopped, took a breath and a step back from the microphone, and just screamed at the ceiling of the studio at the top of his lungs.

Also, I gotta say, reality-itself-endangering-or-not, balefire is super useful.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They use it a lot and it doesn’t seem to matter much.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

They use it a lot and it doesn’t seem to matter much.

It doesn't matter much until it super matters and then reality almost unravels.

The war of power was something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you know how you wear something for so long that it starts to get threadbare, but it seems fine and nothing feels out of place

and then like one thread just pops out one day and next thing you know it's just kind of falling apart because very little was actually holding it together

yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

(the wheel of) time works the same way

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I forgot how good AMOL was

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

silvergoose posted:

(the wheel of) time works the same way

there's 4 sa'angreal on the edge of a cliff,

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Two become crystals, one gets blowed up, and the last is the friends we made along the way

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

But how many books does it take to set them up on the edge?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A prologue.

But only if it's in the first three books

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Siuan :smith:

But goddamn "I don't give a gently caress if I die, we lose Mat we lose it all." She was so good and gave so much of herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m going almost done with ToM now and while I like Perrin it’s taken what like 7 books for him to do something? Jesus Christ it feels like an eternity of just sitting around doing nothing. I swear you could make the whole series in 7 books or so if they cut all the boring stuff out. I know, real hot take here.