Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I don't think I've ever had such a weird love/hate relationship with anything quite like Facebook. It's been the direct source of money*, shelter**, sex***, and for some reason the chosen method of communication with overseas family and yet I wish I could delete it daily. I really didn't ever need to know what the awful political opinions are of acquaintances..not what I thought it was going to end up being when I signed up for it back in college to meet art school cuties a zillion years ago

* self-employed in a field that requires networking
** random people looking to pass leases off
*** popping up in someones you may know and them messaging me to grab drinks

Facebook was much better when it was a college-students-only platform. Elitist or not, most of the poo poo you see on it now would never have flown back in the paleolithic era of the mid-2000s. I think that and everyone's older family members now having accounts to megaphone their poo poo positions across the web made it uncool and is why youth have mostly moved on to other social media platforms.

The only reason I haven't dumped it yet is because of it's use to stay connected with family and friends out of the area and out of country since it's kinda what everyone uses.

I recently put a timer on the app so I don't doom scroll too much over dumb corona hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If your facebook feed is less than 90% meme group posts you're doing it wrong

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
After doing a little bit of contract work with Facebook and seeing how much poo poo can be seen by any nose picking idiot with just a couple of clicks...yeah I never went back to using FB personally. It didn't help that many people working there were awful adult children with toxic personalities who like to ride that white collar techbro culture.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just took facebook off my phone, market place can be useful though

you can have messenger installed separately

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You have to admire the irony that the generation who believed their children were "rotting their brains" by playing too much video games now spends so much time on facebook that their brains have actually rotted to the point they believe COVID is a scam and/or caused by 5G.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

IF you will send me your address so I can pay you back as soon as this is over, then yes, please get me plat. Reading these responses has left me a weepy mess of a person and oddly enough, more hopeful than I've been for multiple weeks now. Thank you. I love you.

ThatGirlAtThatShow

If you see this, send me a heads up at this temp address: foodforagoon@mail.com

Also please check into this thread and get in touch with Plinkey: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318

Seems we can't directly buy plat for someone else like an av change :( but we'll manage otherwise.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Earwicker posted:

dude it really, really is not your "duty" to know what he is tweeting, in any sense whatsoever. please give your brain a break.

like if you really must know at least just read a summary or list once a week or something instead of looking at that poo poo all the time

Seriously, don't follow him. The particularly egregious tweets will show up here and that's why I pretty much only follow this thread and instagram feeds for news.

shame on an IGA posted:

SC is reopening dine-in, hotels, gyms, and hairdressers monday so all of you need to take this next week or two to just yolo and run wild realizing all your post-apoc fantasies before your dumbass neighbors come back from Dirty Myrtle and kill everyone

Lol I just got back from picking up lunch on Harbison in Columbia and every single restaurant is already open for dine-in. Best guess is it's a "they can't stop us if we all do it" kind of thing.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
God I wish I could convince my husband to delete his social media, and to instead spend the time doing things that actually make him happy, rather than thumbing through a firehose of emotionally manipulative content for hours and hours every day, and then complaining that he feels depressed or stressed.

He never actually reads anything, all he does is look at the headline, feel a response, and scroll down. Over and over.

He wonders why he feels lovely, why he can't sleep, why he can't concentrate, why he can't handle stress. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being addicted to a constant stream of emotional disruption... :thunk:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sorry the internet broke your husband. If it's any consolation, this happens to a lot of people.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
are you my wife?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can’t believe Los Angeles is going to open at the end of June. It should be at least Jan 1, 2021.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I'm using Facebook to stay in touch with my friends and family that are scattered all over the country (and world, in some cases). I live alone, and isolation is definitely a problem. Boomerbook helps me feel connected to my loved ones. And because my friends are (mostly) awesome people, it also helps me see that there is still some sanity in the world outside of the SA bubble.

The way I manage the stress from it is by being ruthless about muting and eventually unfriending people who post terrible crap.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tipps posted:

God I wish I could convince my husband to delete his social media, and to instead spend the time doing things that actually make him happy, rather than thumbing through a firehose of emotionally manipulative content for hours and hours every day, and then complaining that he feels depressed or stressed.

He never actually reads anything, all he does is look at the headline, feel a response, and scroll down. Over and over.

He wonders why he feels lovely, why he can't sleep, why he can't concentrate, why he can't handle stress. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being addicted to a constant stream of emotional disruption... :thunk:

You should buy him a forums account? And then just do something to get his facebook account banned while he's sleeping. All I did to get one was post the words "All men are rapists" along with a tweet by a GOP house member saying his daughter was smart enough not to go upstairs by herself at a house party.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tipps posted:

turn his monitor on

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tipps posted:

is he going down the chud bottomless pit?

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Just unfriend everyone who you wouldn't walk up to and start talking to if you saw them in real life, and hide the feed of everyone else. Problem solved.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Tipps posted:

ewwwwww facebook?! What self respecting person has a fB account??

introduce your husband to the forums.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

quote:

“Without clear planning and implementation of the steps that I and other experts have outlined, 2020 will be darkest winter in modern history,” Bright plans to tell members of Congress, according to his prepared remarks obtained by CNBC.

everyone ready for some game of thrones poo poo i guess? wtf

e: darkest winter followed by always charlie horse spring, followed by everything is on fire summer, followed by can't find my loving keys fall

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 13, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I can’t believe Los Angeles is going to open at the end of June. It should be at least Jan 1, 2021.

its not, those dates are arbitrary, they are just going to be pushed back again like they did with the may 15 and april 30 dates

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

This was what I was doing: Scrolling through loads of bullshit, unable to not respond because it was misinformation (and people acting on lies does actually bother me) offering up evidence, with sources (started off with links but when I realised no one would click on them I started using screenshots so the information was right there), of what utter bullshit it was, only to be met with the obvious responses of “get hosed mate”. Spending my weekend evenings scrolling through everything then getting madder and madder.

I don’t know what I thought I was gonna get, i’ve been on the Internet since I was 13 and I’m 37 now, I literally fell into some weird mental trap, I basically got trolled by my Nana’s generation.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

shovelbum posted:

is he going down the chud bottomless pit?

No, just the bottomless pit of stress and depression. :smith:

E: I'm going to flat out ask him to explain to me what he gets out of it. I expect the answer is a combination of a) that he "needs" to do it because being aware of what's happening in the world makes him feel good somehow, and b) it distracts him from the workplace stress he feels outside of work.

E2: Yup, it was exactly (b). I suggested he distract himself with something fun that he likes, rather than a stream of bullshit purposely designed to gently caress with his emotions. "We'll see" he says.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 13, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tipps posted:

No, just the bottomless pit of stress and depression. :smith:

E: I'm going to flat out ask him to explain to me what he gets out of it. I expect the answer is a combination of a) that he "needs" to do it because being aware of what's happening in the world makes him feel good somehow, and b) it distracts him from the workplace stress he feels outside of work.

wait does he go in to a non-remote job

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Kojima was right when he made MGS2.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They want to reopen the zoo I work at, including the gift shop. I'm not comfortable trying to manage that kind of situation. You know what gift shops are really for? Impulse shopping by bored people who come in "just to look". Now we're expected to tell people they can't come in as a family, children can't touch toys, one way aisles in a giant open plan room with rolling tables and shirt racks? We should be opening last. If we're that desperate for sales, start online ordering. I'll take all the photos and post all the content myself. I did it at my last job. It's easy. If people are looking for something they'll know they'll only find in a zoo gift shop, they'll find us on the internet if we're out there.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

shovelbum posted:

wait does he go in to a non-remote job

No, we are both working remotely.

That in and of itself may be a factor. It's been hard for him to separate "work" from "home" when you do both in the same place.

It can be done of course, but it would require taking the quiet time to do a bit of brain re-wiring - something you can't do when you're addicted to social media. :doh:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Azathoth Prime posted:

I'm using Facebook to stay in touch with my friends and family that are scattered all over the country (and world, in some cases). I live alone, and isolation is definitely a problem. Boomerbook helps me feel connected to my loved ones. And because my friends are (mostly) awesome people, it also helps me see that there is still some sanity in the world outside of the SA bubble.

The way I manage the stress from it is by being ruthless about muting and eventually unfriending people who post terrible crap.

I deleted my account when I saw a notification about a stranger commenting on a different stranger's photo. A distant friend had also commented on the photo a couple days earlier. I haven't regretted it.

I'm seeing more of some of my friends now than I did before. I've been organizing a video call every Saturday afternoon. I put the link up, whoever can join, joins. If somebody has a conflict, I'll move it, or just do both times, but they have to tell me what time. If they can only join for a couple minutes, that's cool too. I think keeping it 0-pressure is key for my sanity.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Picnic Princess posted:

They want to reopen the zoo I work at, including the gift shop. I'm not comfortable trying to manage that kind of situation. You know what gift shops are really for? Impulse shopping by bored people who come in "just to look". Now we're expected to tell people they can't come in as a family, children can't touch toys, one way aisles in a giant open plan room with rolling tables and shirt racks? We should be opening last. If we're that desperate for sales, start online ordering. I'll take all the photos and post all the content myself. I did it at my last job. It's easy. If people are looking for something they'll know they'll only find in a zoo gift shop, they'll find us on the internet if we're out there.

As opposed to the people who are at the zoo looking to buy?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Sounds like the first part of the paragraph is why they don't do the second part--because very few people would go online to buy from a zoo gift shop. Zoo gift shops are for buying overpriced novelty items for your overstimulated children, so they STFU on the ride home.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tipps posted:

No, we are both working remotely.

That in and of itself may be a factor. It's been hard for him to separate "work" from "home" when you do both in the same place.

It can be done of course, but it would require taking the quiet time to do a bit of brain re-wiring - something you can't do when you're addicted to social media. :doh:

There's no lack of advice online about how to work from home, but the most common advice always comes back to creating a sense of space and establishing boundaries. Some people do just fine with a laptop and pajamas and Netflix while their partner is cooking right there, but other people need to get dressed in the morning, go to a dedicated space, and avoid interruptions. Your husband may need help establishing a sense of "normalcy".

naem
May 29, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

After doing a little bit of contract work with Facebook and seeing how much poo poo can be seen by any nose picking idiot with just a couple of clicks...yeah I never went back to using FB personally. It didn't help that many people working there were awful adult children with toxic personalities who like to ride that white collar techbro culture.

the bay area in general right here

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My Facebook usage dropped sharply as soon as Discord became a regular thing. All my friends and I wanted was an easy way to talk to each other and share garbage memes. Discord let's us do that. It's so nice being able to talk about our interests without having racist uncles show up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I unfortunately has a living dad and a kid and so must Facebook.

Every time I go to delet my account I see a picture my mom "liked" and can't bring myself to :sherman:.

:smith:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
In Toronto, just walked past a lineup to get into the LCBO (liquor store). People were 6 feet apart, and most wearing masks.... however one guy in the middle of the line pulled down his mask to cough and sneeze. Presumably because he didn’t want to sneeze in the mask? I don’t fuckin know. A few other people were just wearing masks under their chin.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Facebook was the only thing tying me to my distant family and now I can happily say we’ve been severed for years.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1260691610485964800

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:sherman:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

like ten years ago I picked these dumb gay forums over facebook for mindless scrolling and ive been gay ever since. that's also why im autistic now, religiously vote for Bernie sanders, and have more than 5 synthesizers. i really love you guys, thanks for all the years.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

like ten years ago I picked these dumb gay forums over facebook for mindless scrolling and ive been gay ever since. that's also why im autistic now, religiously vote for Bernie sanders, and have more than 5 synthesizers. i really love you guys, thanks for all the years.

I just bought my first synth this week, though I hosed up and bought a monophonic one :(

Who needs chords, not this guy (hopefully)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure stressed out husband could be fixed with at least 1 daily beej. 2 on particularly stressful days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I deactivated my fb around 2011 if I remember correctly. I was in uni at the time and super mentally unwell (not that much has changed to be honest) and seeing all these posts of people partying, being happy (whether they truly were or not), friends doing stuff without me was just sending me into an ever more negative spiral. To be honest disconnecting from it all was a good idea. I wasn't using it to stay in contact with family and the close friends I had would just text me plans etc instead.

My life hasn't exactly changed for the better since then but I haven't used fb and don't plan to start. Nowadays there's discord or other messaging apps for communication, and I get my news elsewhere.