Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
open the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, is this where that meme started? Some of these are great.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
ive read the first four dune books in the last few weeks and now i hate myself and God. im gonna read the fifth

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chernobyl kinsman posted:

ive read the first four dune books in the last few weeks and now i hate myself and God. im gonna read the fifth

you could stop

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

We will know its a problem if you get to the Brian Herbert ones

StrixNebulosa posted:

you could stop

shut up loser

do not discourage him from this act of literary perdition

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

just sayin. if you don't like a book you don't have to read it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

hating Dune is the most fun I have had in this hell world in weeks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

This isn't true at all!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

you could stop

i can't, no

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i do think it's very funny that herbert's original reason for the Butlerian Jihad (lmao 'butlerian jihad') was that the computers were doing abortions but his kid had to retcon that in the fanfic books

dune is the most lapsed-Catholic book ive ever read

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why didn't the alt-right get into Dune? That thing where people issue mind-control commands by the right combination of gestures and pronunciation seems really MRA-friendly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nazis don't even like Robert Heinlein. I guess they don't like to read.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Nazis don't even like Robert Heinlein. I guess they don't like to read.

The Nazis that like to read like to read history books*. They are also majoring in or majored in political history.

*) And anime.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Why didn't the alt-right get into Dune? That thing where people issue mind-control commands by the right combination of gestures and pronunciation seems really MRA-friendly.

The first instance of the word "jihad" causes irrevocable pant-making GBS threads in chuds..

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh boy if the rest of the forums being overwhelmed with tedious culture war drivel we now get to have it about loving Dune of all things

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 15, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Keep your POLITICS out of my NOVELS.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yes, that is the problem with a bunch of socially stunted keyboard addicts filtering the breadth of human experience into a blip of a culture battle between two forces largely composed of self-fulfilling stereotypes

its the politics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pls don't discuss politics in the chat thread, Mel

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

shut the gently caress up about nazis in the book forum chat thread unless it’s “i read a book about naziism today”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyway I read a translation of the radio interview with Houellebecq from a couple of weeks ago or so, and he was talking about a supposed beef between Nietzsche and Flaubert about writing. all his citation was “I can’t recall where” so does anyone know if/where this exists?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

it also explicitly and entirely embraces eugenics

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Female characters have too much power and agency.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dune is basically a verbose Edgar Rice Burroughs novel with a dash of Rudyard Kipling

Its a colonial era adventure story for children retold by a luddite who loves LSD

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 15, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luddism is correct

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Somehow, the bit from Dune that has stuck with me the most is that Baron Harkonnen's globe has ice caps of "finest cloudmilk diamonds", which is the kind of phrase that I would put in a Lyttle Lytton entry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Love to read 1800s swashbuckling adventure books where by page 700 there have been like three swashes buckled.

I'm starting to think whoever decided to publish the first abridged novel had the right idea.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dune is basically a verbose Edgar Rice Burroughs novel with a dash of Rudyard Kipling

Its a colonial era adventure story for children retold by a luddite who loves LSD

there is no adventure. nothing happens. every novel is 98% dialogue. the space opera framing is a trick to get you to listen to herbert's thoughts about leadership and terrestrial ecosystems.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

To his credit, there could have been way more weird sex stuff in there. He was at the prime moment for warping boy nerds with a perv science fiction trojan horse.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

To his credit, there could have been way more weird sex stuff in there. He was at the prime moment for warping boy nerds with a perv science fiction trojan horse.

the entire fourth book is a romance between a slug man and his perfectly submissive waifu. said slug repeatedly opines on the sexual advantages of an all female vs. all male army and there's much talk of breeding

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hold only Disdain for Herbert; his Works; and his Family.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

the entire fourth book is a romance between a slug man and his perfectly submissive waifu. said slug repeatedly opines on the sexual advantages of an all female vs. all male army and there's much talk of breeding

Did it take the gor guy a few books to get to the bondage poo poo, or was that the point from the beginning?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh come on, it can’t be

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Did it take the gor guy a few books to get to the bondage poo poo, or was that the point from the beginning?
It's in the first couple of books but only as an incidental detail, if I correctly recall the podcast episodes I've heard about them. They're mostly just a Burroughs pastiche.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 16, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I defend sci-fi/fantasy a lot, but I couldn't even make it 2 chapters in to the third Dune book. Why torture yourself?

I need some non-genre poo poo to read for a while. Could you and Mel please suggest some enjoyable reads?

I'm asking this earnestly.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheAardvark posted:

I defend sci-fi/fantasy a lot, but I couldn't even make it 2 chapters in to the third Dune book. Why torture yourself?

self-flagellation leaves marks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

there is no adventure. nothing happens. every novel is 98% dialogue. the space opera framing is a trick to get you to listen to herbert's thoughts about leadership and terrestrial ecosystems.

fair point

TheAardvark posted:

I need some non-genre poo poo to read for a while. Could you and Mel please suggest some enjoyable reads?

I'm asking this earnestly.

what are you in the mood for

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what are you in the mood for

I read We Have Always Lived In The Castle recently and absolutely loved it.

My favorite movies are all psychological thrillers. I realize that's a book genre, but but when I have read books called that it has always been really infantile.

I guess I would like a 'mystery', in only the vaguest terms.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

My favorite movies are all psychological thrillers. I realize that's a book genre, but but when I have read books called that it has always been really infantile.

If you haven't read Du Maurier's Rebecca go do that immediately

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I've been currently reflecting on Jose Saramargos psuedo noirs so give them a try

The Double and All the Names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's in the first couple of books but only as an incidental detail, if I correctly recall the podcast episodes I've heard about them. They're mostly just a Burroughs pastiche.

Confession time. I've read the first couple of Gor books. While the whole bondage/slave girl thing is there from the beginning, it not until the fourth book that it really became really prominent (I remember cringing at parts of that book). Even fans of the series have complained that in the later books Norman spends too much time dwelling on the care of slave girls and less on the action and narrative.

In their defense I would say that the first two books are okay, and I actually enjoyed the third book. That's probably because Norman spends more time on the sci-fi / action part then on the whole bondage thing.