Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

Jimmy Hart added absolutely nothing to Hogan's act, but Heyman added a TON as Sabu's mouthpiece. Probably the best example.
In my head I remember Hart getting beat up by the Natural Disasters and while it was imperfect I was thinking of it as a way to give Hogan something to fight for when he came back from filming Santa with Muscles or some poo poo, but whatever Coliseum Home Video I'm half-remembering was probably after Hart turned on them and they were babyfaces getting sweet revenge on him. So yeah, not even on paper did he contribute anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

Well, not to nitpick, but wasn't there like a whole angle out of Macho Man saying he picked Elizabeth to be his manager out of a slew of people fawning over him because yadda yadda?

Yeah, then they repeated the angle a couple of years later with Bam Bam Bigelow (he chose Oliver Humperdink over all the heels), and then again a few years after that with Andre the Giant (he chose no one; he just humiliated all the heel managers in a series of skits).

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Would Dalton Castle's boys count as valets?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rujasu posted:

Did Jimmy Hart add anything to anyone's act as a manager? Even though he was the "Mouth of the South" I was never impressed with his mic work, but I guess his peak was in the 80's, and I wasn't around for that. Was he really good back in the day and just didn't have anything to offer (other than music) once the Attitude Era rolled around?

I never really thought about it, but he did seem to manage guys who didn't really need a mouthpiece (Honky, Dibiase/IRS, Harts, Mountie, Earthquake). He was super effective in being a heat magnet/distraction for 'Quake/Nasties/Mountie, but guys like Honky Tonk Man drew enough heat on their own; I think Jimmy Hart just helped out their gimmicks - which is just fine.

That said, he managed Dino Bravo, and nobody ever gave a poo poo about him.

Once he turned face over the Beefcake/Money Inc. thing, he didn't really seem to serve a purpose other than just support the storyline, but that's okay, too. He's a Hogan friend, which basically guaranteed you a job between like 1983 and 2002.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Price Check posted:

Would Dalton Castle's boys count as valets?

I think they'd definitely qualify. They served him and I assume they didn't manage his bookings, travel, etc in kayfabe?

Has anyone else had that kind of truly subservient valet when it wasn't one of those "you lost, now you have to manage me" stips?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think they'd definitely qualify. They served him and I assume they didn't manage his bookings, travel, etc in kayfabe?

Has anyone else had that kind of truly subservient valet when it wasn't one of those "you lost, now you have to manage me" stips?

Steve Regal in WCW had a butler named Jeeves for awhile.

Would "The Genius" Lanny Poffo count?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Virgil for Ted DiBiase comes to mind, but Wikipedia says his title was "bodyguard."

Red posted:

Once he turned face over the Beefcake/Money Inc. thing, he didn't really seem to serve a purpose other than just support the storyline, but that's okay, too. He's a Hogan friend, which basically guaranteed you a job between like 1983 and 2002.

Also he was responsible for a lot of wrestler theme music during that time, both in WWE and WCW. Granted a lot of his WCW themes were knockoffs of popular 90's music, but still, that was probably enough on its own to earn his keep and the on-screen stuff was a bonus.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Does Matilda count as a valet?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Surely Virgil counts as this? Maybe even Alex Riley and Sandow when they were with Miz.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Where do the Singh Brothers fit into this (other than "the only good thing about Jinder's title run")

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I hate slavery and I hate depictions of it in entertainment. especially mindless entertainment. Yuck!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ah yeah, good call. Like others have said, it seems like antiquated and probably sexist terminology. I've only ever heard it to describe female managers. I don't think I've ever heard a male manager called a valet. Which is bizarre because the term itself is defined as a man's male servant.

I consider Kip to be Penelope's valet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Ah yeah, good call. Like others have said, it seems like antiquated and probably sexist terminology. I've only ever heard it to describe female managers. I don't think I've ever heard a male manager called a valet. Which is bizarre because the term itself is defined as a man's male servant.

No, no, the term you're thinking of is "cocksucker."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

That said, he managed Dino Bravo, and nobody ever gave a poo poo about him.

Dino was a huge star in Montreal,

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

Gorgeous George
Jimmy Garvin and Precious

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a male manager called a valet. Which is bizarre because the term itself is defined as a man's male servant.
It pretty much only happens when they're implying homosexuality for heat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Dino was a huge star in Montreal,

You’re correct, I just meant when he was with Jimmy Hart in WWF. He wasn’t much better off with Frenchy Martin, either.

I always thought his team-up with Earthquake should be called The Hulkbusters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dino was pretty funny as Earthquake's little buddy who also had a little buddy in Jimmy Hart. Earthquake would kill people and the two of them would just run in circles around the carnage like goons

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just re-watching Wrestlemania 10 this afternoon with a beer or two. The Mr Perfect DQing Lex Luger angle is a bit clumsy but interesting. Did they do anything on screen after WM10 between these two to build anything up? Was there any pay off? I seem to recall Luger's next angle was versus Ted Dibiase and Tatanka.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hennig was really in no condition to compete at that point in his career so he stopped wrestling for awhile. Then he went to WCW after awhile where he still wasn't really in condition to compete but did anyway. It's been 25 years and I'm probably missing a detail or 3 though.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

britishbornandbread posted:

Just re-watching Wrestlemania 10 this afternoon with a beer or two. The Mr Perfect DQing Lex Luger angle is a bit clumsy but interesting. Did they do anything on screen after WM10 between these two to build anything up? Was there any pay off? I seem to recall Luger's next angle was versus Ted Dibiase and Tatanka.

I think Perfect got sidelined by an injury shortly later.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
So he was injured when they brought him back in? Was he supposed to work a programme with Luger?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

So he was injured when they brought him back in? Was he supposed to work a programme with Luger?

Mr. Perfect was injured for the years 1991-2003

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm going through the 1994 Observers now and I'll post the highlights

January 10th - WCW has interest in bringing in Hennig after Bulldog's contract expired and freed up a lot of money

January 17th - The TV show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" did a segment that aired this past weekend on Curt Hennig.

January 31st - Hennig shot an episode of "Thunder in Paradise"

February 7th - Mr. Perfect was contacted about returning for Wrestlemania but thus far hasn't accepted the offer.

March 7th - This is not a definite, but they are trying to get Mr. Perfect in as one of the two special refs. WCW wanted Perfect but his Titan contract doesn't run out until December so they can't make a move until then.

March 21st - The rumor mill, which sounds to be about 50 percent accurate, has it that Roddy Piper and Mr. Perfect will return as guest referees (we know both had been contacted for that position but haven't received confirmation on Piper but it is strongly expected he'll be there and Perfect we've heard will ref Lex vs. Yokozuna and probably use that as a springboard for a much-needed heel turn)

April 18th - Mr. Perfect was scheduled to be in for the weekend, including appearing on television, but at the last minute said he suffered a broken toe in a non-wrestling related accident and would be out for a few weeks. He should be ready to work in time to start his WWF commitments against Lex Luger in mid-May.

May 2nd - In addition, there were four no-shows, with only one announced in the building before the show started (Mr. Perfect) and no refunds offered. Perfect was out with a broken foot anyway, but rumor has it that he quit the promotion on Saturday. On Monday Night Raw, Perfect was buried in a manner that suggests he won't be back, with them saying he no-showed his matches because he was afraid of Luger and has been suspended indefinitely, and mentioned that Crush would be replacing him. Randy Savage went on to say how Crush is much tougher than Perfect. Perfect's WWF contract doesn't expire until November or December, although rumor has it he's in the financial position right now where he doesn't need to work.

May 9th - Curt Hennig told Wrestling Flyer the reason he didn't do the WWF run is because he had a set price to come back and McMahon didn't match the price since McMahon doesn't guarantee money, only paying based on the houses and position on the show. Hennig, who is in a much better personal financial state that most wrestlers, hence he doesn't need to wrestle, said he'd never agreed to return except for that price and would be glad to return if the price was met. Hennig is widely rumored to be WCW bound and it is well-known Ric Flair wants him, but he is under contract to Titan until November so don't expect it to happen until that time.

July 11th - Arn Anderson was on the Wrestling Insiders radio show and talked of forming a new Four Horseman group with Ric Flair and Curt Hennig, once Hennig's WWF contract runs out and he can join WCW.

September 5th - Hogan came out for an interview and they shot the Nancy Kerrigan angle as a masked man with a club hit him in the back of the knee as all the company officials gathered around. The masked man in actuality was Arn Anderson, although when it gets revealed in the storyline, they'll claim it was Curt Hennig. Hennig is still under contract to WWF so can't appear on WCW television until October or November, so for future trivia, he'll be the character who was introduced as the perpetrator of a major angle on a show that he didn't even attend. The 11/16 Clash main event from Jacksonville looks to be Flair & Hennig vs. Hogan & Sting.

October 10th - Hogan will work the 11/16 Clash from Jacksonville in either a tag match with Sting against Vader & whomever the masked man turns out to be (presumably Curt Hennig but that isn't 100%) or a six-man with Mr. T as the third partner and a new heel to be introduced at the PPV being the third man on that side.

October 10th - Hennig shot a promo at UWF Blackjack Brawl after Herb Abrams flew him out to Vegas for the show

October 17th - It looks less and less likely by the week that Curt Hennig is coming in to WCW

October 24th - The line-up for the 11/16 Clash of the Champions as originally set (and this may be changed because they were batting around new ideas this past week) was as follows, a tag match on top with Hulk Hogan & Sting vs. Avalanche (John Tenta) & The Mystery man (definitely not Curt Hennig as originally planned as the two sides were far apart on money, with reports that Hennig wanted $400,000 for one year and they weren't willing to go nearly that high; several names have been hinted as to who the identity will be although Steve Keirn was playing the role this weekend)

December 5th - The biggest news is that at the WCW Center Stage tapings, Rick Rude and Curt Hennig showed up in suits and ties and were introduced to the crowd to huge babyface pops and signed autographs and heckled Barry Darsow. Eric Bischoff and Tony Schiavone (they put the voice tracks on in studio usually the week before the show airs) wound up joining them later. Rude was in working on settling his lawsuit while Hennig is negotiating once again to come in.

December 12th - There is a lot less to the Rick Rude/Curt Hennig appearance at the 11/28 Center Stage tapings than meets the eye. Apparently both simply decided to cause a ruckus by showing up.

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 16, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

To pile on, he had a policy on his back with Lloyd's of London (as did a few other guys), and collected from, I think, mid-'93 to probably mid- to late-'96. I don't think there was anything shady about it, but he had incentive not to work hurt, unlike a lot of other guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

To pile on, he had a policy on his back with Lloyd's of London (as did a few other guys), and collected from, I think, mid-'93 to probably mid- to late-'96. I don't think there was anything shady about it, but he had incentive not to work hurt, unlike a lot of other guys.

It is definitely shady, but who cares it's an insurance company.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

MorrisBae posted:

September 5th - Hogan came out for an interview and they shot the Nancy Kerrigan angle as a masked man with a club hit him in the back of the knee as all the company officials gathered around. The masked man in actuality was Arn Anderson, although when it gets revealed in the storyline, they'll claim it was Curt Hennig. Hennig is still under contract to WWF so can't appear on WCW television until October or November, so for future trivia, he'll be the character who was introduced as the perpetrator of a major angle on a show that he didn't even attend. The 11/16 Clash main event from Jacksonville looks to be Flair & Hennig vs. Hogan & Sting.

So that's why Ed Leslie main evented Starrcade. He was the second option.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MorrisBae posted:

December 5th - The biggest news is that at the WCW Center Stage tapings, Rick Rude and Curt Hennig showed up in suits and ties and were introduced to the crowd to huge babyface pops and signed autographs and heckled Barry Darsow. Eric Bischoff and Tony Schiavone (they put the voice tracks on in studio usually the week before the show airs) wound up joining them later. Rude was in working on settling his lawsuit while Hennig is negotiating once again to come in.

Is there any video of that?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Numero6 posted:

Is there any video of that?

Wasn't on TV - they probably were just hanging out and sitting on the hard camera side

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I stand corrected!

This is the Barry Darsow match from that taping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKs9ZiVygLw

I'm assuming Curt and/or Rick are the ones blowing the airhorn

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Who has held the top championship belt in the most number of promotions?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 17, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Unperson_47 posted:

Who held the top championship belt in the most number of promotions?

In the modern era, likely AJ Styles. He was world champion in WWE, NJPW, PWG, and TNA, was British Heavyweight champion which is RevPro's top belt, and held the belt in pretty much any promotion during his indie tour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unperson_47 posted:

Who has held the top championship belt in the most number of promotions?

In terms of major promotions Vader is probably the best modern candidate.

He held the Triple Crown, IWGP and UWFi titles in Japan.
He held the UWA title in Mexico, the CWA title in Europe and the WCW title. The CWA and UWA were past their peak, but it's hard to find a better resume.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if only shawn michaels didn't personally bury vader and he had a couple month wwf championship run, maybe the nude image he accidentally tweeted would have covered up his genital with a championship title opportunity

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you add in smaller promotions or meaningless titles the answer is Jarrett for modern champions.

WCW, NWA, WWA, AAA and USWA. Crushes AJ Styles.

Historically I guess it would have to be Thesz.

He held a bunch of pre NWA titles including the AWA (not that one) and NWA (not that one) belts, then unified a bunch with the NWA title (that one.) He also held a different world title that he took to Japan, held world titles in Europe and was the first UWA champion in Mexico.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If we're expanding the criteria then I gotta think Jericho's up there for modern era. Held titles in WWE, WCW, AEW, NJPW, CMLL and ECW, among others. And unlike Jarrett he held titles people care about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

If we're expanding the criteria then I gotta think Jericho's up there for modern era. Held titles in WWE, WCW, AEW, NJPW, CMLL and ECW, among others. And unlike Jarrett he held titles people care about.

But with Jeff Jarrett we don't need to expand the criteria. Jeff Jarrett held the top titles, not joke titles like Chris Jokeico.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

But with Jeff Jarrett we don't need to expand the criteria. Jeff Jarrett held the top titles, not joke titles like Chris Jokeico.

I genuinely think the 1998 WCW TV title is more credible than the WWA title. Or the NWA-TNA title.

I also think this about the Cruiserweight title in 2020 WWE.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
any title held by jarrett was automatically a joke title

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't turn this into who held the most titles. That's not what's happening. YOu better stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It is definitely shady, but who cares it's an insurance company.

Oh, I thought Hennig was legit hurt the whole time.