Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rolo posted:

Nancy is doubling down on the president being fat and dumb.

“His word weigh a ton” lol

More fat jokes in politics plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Update on the phone contact tracing app here in Australia: they finally had an app user in Victoria confirm that they have the virus! So they swung into action and asked that person if they can download the data from their phone, and the person said yes, and so they got the data and they're checking to see if that person was within 1.5m from any other people who were also using the app for 15 minutes or more.

According to the health minister they've also "sought data where it has had cases" in NSW but he worded that very very carefully and didn't actually say that they'd been able to use the data successfully. There's only been 5.9 million people download the app which is only 23% of the population and there's been problems getting it to work on iPhones so the entire thing sounds like a dumb waste of time and money so far.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/covidsafe-app-victoria-health-authorities-first-use-coronavirus/12265286

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Rolo posted:

Nancy is doubling down on the president being fat and dumb.

Good. Finally someone trying to manipulate him that is not a simpering sycophant.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

“His word weigh a ton” lol

More fat jokes in politics plz

This. Throw away :decorum: when communicating about President and reserve it for sane opponents. I want to hear angry defensive tweets about Trump’s weight.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m lolling at the guy who said AIDS wasn’t a big deal because all he remembers is sitcoms having very special episodes about it

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Edit: GBS. I hope we get a cure.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 20, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

schmug posted:

I really need to find a way to get laid off. I have enough food and poo poo to probably last me the rest of the year so the only thing I literally have to leave to house for is work. fml

Just wear industrial N95s and face shields to protect yourself from the roni until they lay you off for being weird.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I’m lolling at the guy who said AIDS wasn’t a big deal because all he remembers is sitcoms having very special episodes about it

I did not say it was not a big deal. I said I do not remember massive cultural changes other than effects on the sexual revolution and the like in the US. To those who had it and those affected by it it was a huge trauma. I also was not attempting to generalize my memories as the whole story. The original point was that most Americans are not old enough and AIDS was different enough for those that are old enough that we have no prior context for this deadly of a highly contagious disease. We do not have enough polio victims left to keep that memory alive.

One thing that hit me recently is how bad polio and other quarantines must have been to endure before we had a pipeline of entertainment and distractions endlessly feeding into quarantined homes. Before literacy what did you even do? This is easy mode and we still cannot pull it off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bleusilences posted:

What is going to be the abbreviation for Multisystem inflammatory syndrome? MIS?minsynd? The M.I syndrome?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I was given a number to call to schedule a test, told the website is down.
1 (888) 634-1123
I'm pretty sure that's a national number.
After an hour on hold, I reached a nice lady who gave me and my wife a pair of authorization numbers.
She seemed completely unfamiliar with Southern California told us that there is no way to schedule a test at this time.

A short while ago someone called back from San Diego Public Health who told me to call 211.

The general consensus is "Gee that sucks, don't leave your room without a mask and gloves."
I've been told it's 2-5 days before I'm likely to show any symptoms, or actually register an active virus on a test.

Three quarters of the people I was on the phone with sounded terrified on my behalf, the police officer I made the report with seemed to be concerned that I would catch HIV from the homeless guy. He kept fiddling with his mask.

I'm terribly torn between continuing to follow the instructions of people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, and the nurse at the wife's healthcare provider who laughed at her and told her there's almost no cases in San Diego.
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/apr/06/coronavirus-san-diego-mapping-cases-zip-code/
I mean, sure. I don't live in New York city.

Homeless people are not inherently bad in my opinion, but this virus seems to be. He didn't hock a logie on me, but he showered my face and left arm in spit. My wife and I were wearing cloth masks.
He was carrying two large bags of recyclable plastic he'd been digging out of the trash. We could smell the poo poo in his pants.
That seems like a hundred vectors on a vector, showering me with more opportunity to be infected.
Speaking of, I went home immediately and showered and changed clothes.

I'm feeling like I'm in a situation where I'm forced to just pretend it never happened, see if I develop any symptoms.
More worried about the people who laughed at the idea we should wear masks to protect them.
Transmissible for 48 hours before symptoms show up.
No available tests.
Laughing nurse.
:smith:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Solvent posted:

1 (888) 634-1123
After an hour on hold, I reached a nice lady who gave me and my wife a pair of authorization numbers.
She seemed completely unfamiliar with Southern California told us that there is no way to schedule a test at this time.

A short while ago someone called back from San Diego Public Health who told me to call 211.

The general consensus is "Gee that sucks, don't leave your room without a mask and gloves."
I've been told it's 2-5 days before I'm likely to show any symptoms, or actually register an active virus on a test.

Three quarters of the people I was on the phone with sounded terrified on my behalf, the police officer I made the report with seemed to be concerned that I would catch HIV from the homeless guy. He kept fiddling with his mask.

I'm terribly torn between continuing to follow the instructions of people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, and the nurse at the wife's healthcare provider who laughed at her and told her there's almost no cases in San Diego.
https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/apr/06/coronavirus-san-diego-mapping-cases-zip-code/

Homeless people are not inherently bad in my opinion, but this virus seems to be. He didn't hock a logie on me, but he showered my face and left arm in spit. My wife and I were wearing cloth masks.
He was carrying two large bags of recyclable plastic he'd been digging out of the trash. We could smell the poo poo in his pants.
That seems like a hundred vectors on a vector, showering me with more opportunity to be infected.

I'm feeling like I'm in a situation where I'm forced to just pretend it never happened, see if I develop any symptoms.
More worried about the people who laughed at the idea we should wear masks to protect them.
No available tests.
Laughing nurse.

That is a really ridiculous situation. Like, it sounds like a scene in a dark comedy Camus parody novel or something. It's legit scary for you but at least you can acknowledge that this could be very funny if it was made up?

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

tuyop posted:

That is a really ridiculous situation. Like, it sounds like a scene in a dark comedy Camus parody novel or something. It's legit scary for you but at least you can acknowledge that this could be very funny if it was made up?

I'm thinking Don Delilo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Nice thread title update.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xenocides posted:

The original point was that most Americans are not old enough and AIDS was different enough for those that are old enough that we have no prior context for this deadly of a highly contagious disease

and my point was enough Americans are definitely old enough and the issue is not that we "have no prior context" for deadly contagious diseases, we have all kinds of deadly contagious diseases but when they happen we are quickly conditioned to either accept them as normal (as we do with the tens of thousands of people who die of flus every year) or to respond with othering and victim blaming (as we did and continue to do with people who die of AIDS). its not that we have "no context", it's the opposite, we have developed a really hosed up culture and infrastructure around health in this country and have a pattern of these kinds of responses. covid19 spreads faster than these other illnesses and as such has disrupted normalcy, but it's pretty obvious that the power structure is hellbent on turning the deaths into yet another kind that we just accept as normal, thus continuing the pattern

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 20, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1262875648844083206?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

boar guy posted:

no more buffets for me ever, for one, and i really love revolving/conveyor belt sushi places but that's out too

what if they go straight from the sushi port to ur mouth

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/jeffjarvis/status/1262743874990075905

Solvent posted:

loving hell, all of that sucks. :smith:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The Canadian (BC) take on the whole "I think I'm infected and want to get tested":

I caught a cold in mid-April. When I checked my province's online CDC self-assessment tool, it resulted in me being given a phone number. I called the phone number and it went straight to a public health nurse after two rings. She asked me for my symptoms, asked if the other members of my household were showing similar symptoms, took down our names and health numbers, and had my whole family scheduled for tests the next day. They even ordered up a special infant test kit overnight because they weren't prepared to deal with a baby in my little town, and they brought in a pediatrician from across town just to administer the little man's test. Results were three days later, thankfully all negative.

Hope for the best for you Solvent, sorry your country is so hosed. I've had to leave all my local facebook groups and mute half of my friends/family because they're posting and sharing nothing but COVID denial, anti-vax propaganda, anti-Chinese garbage, and conspiracy theories. This is probably the most depressing part of the whole pandemic for me, I thought I was surrounded by some pretty decent people but it seems like most of them were secretly assholes and just needed an excuse to show it. I think its the first time in my life I've felt despair.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That guy is hilarious, also idiot was bragging about 3 thousand followers like that meant anything.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sure showed that lib manager!

That guy doesn't take poo poo, that guy ain't no sheep.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
*stands by meekly as someone takes my toilet paper*

i aint a fuckin sheep

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Didn't know they were allowed to film outside their truck.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The gently caress. He didn't say or mean that. Why the gently caress is BBC feeling the need to make poo poo up. He said a buncha horrible crap in that same conference even, attack one of those statements?

This crap let's him and fox yell "lying media" and brush things like a failing to invade Venezuela horribly and having us spec forces captured by unarmed village fishermen.

It just irks the poo poo outta me cause it helps trump cover his rear end.

I've tried pointing this out for another case before in this thread. I got the same response you did "but he did say that and this....if you understand this and that facts".

It's just providing him and the chuds cover. And will be trotted out as yet another example of liberal bias and fake news.

Blitter posted:

Except he said "So I view it as a badge of honour. Really, it's a badge of honour." because the numbers are so high because the testing is so good.

Except the testing is poo poo, the tests themselves have been poo poo, and it's manifestly bullshit all around, and everyone outside of the US knows it.

Anyone reading the BBC and the rest of the world in general doesn't give a gently caress about your criminally stupid fox viewers and is more than capable of seeing that headline for exactly what it means.

The headline literally implies that Trump sad that the more people catch the virus the better. That is a complete fabrication even if what he was actually saying was complete bollocks. I'd hoped for better from the BBC. But I've learnt not to get my hopes up.

Still doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out for what it is.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Nice thread title update.

Political,but relevant

Solvent posted:

1 (888) 634-1123

No available tests.
Laughing nurse.

Don’t give up, just put on headphones and wait through the music to get a test. Please keep us posted.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So it seems one of my cousins caught it. It's worrisome because he is obese and a heavy drinker. So far the symptoms seem to be mild.

He works for an oil company here in Mexico and there are rumors that everyone in the fields and platforms is getting sick.

drat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chudsworth posted an update:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Don't worry, he's extremely self aware, and learned nothing form the incident
https://twitter.com/patricec/status/1262848727502467075?s=20
"it's not about the mask it's about control" what a dumbshit

Just lying there without his shirt on, the sexy beast.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chocobo posted:

The Canadian (BC) take on the whole "I think I'm infected and want to get tested":

I caught a cold in mid-April. When I checked my province's online CDC self-assessment tool, it resulted in me being given a phone number. I called the phone number and it went straight to a public health nurse after two rings. She asked me for my symptoms, asked if the other members of my household were showing similar symptoms, took down our names and health numbers, and had my whole family scheduled for tests the next day. They even ordered up a special infant test kit overnight because they weren't prepared to deal with a baby in my little town, and they brought in a pediatrician from across town just to administer the little man's test. Results were three days later, thankfully all negative.

Hope for the best for you Solvent, sorry your country is so hosed. I've had to leave all my local facebook groups and mute half of my friends/family because they're posting and sharing nothing but COVID denial, anti-vax propaganda, anti-Chinese garbage, and conspiracy theories. This is probably the most depressing part of the whole pandemic for me, I thought I was surrounded by some pretty decent people but it seems like most of them were secretly assholes and just needed an excuse to show it. I think its the first time in my life I've felt despair.

It sucks that you're a liar and in reality your tests were actually scheduled for 2024, because that's the only way Universal Healthcare works, or so I have been told by the US media. Got my CT scan back, and I DON'T need surgery. . . which was a big shock after seeing this.

From break to now, I've had 3 X-rays, a CT scan, two consultations, a 5 hour stay in the ER, some nice IV drips and painkillers, and two weeks worth of horse-sized Tylenols, and a sling. The only thing I have had to pay for was the Taxi ride to the hospital, as I wasn't sure I could safely drive myself there. I'm so glad that I never have to worry about being bankrupt because of some health issues.

I guess that the Hospital I had my CT scan in was expecting the worst, since they had this setup at the front, which looked like it had never been used.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

what if pelosi says “imagine the smell”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could see there was virus coming out of his eyes, virus coming out of his whatever.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Illuminti posted:

I've tried pointing this out for another case before in this thread. I got the same response you did "but he did say that and this....if you understand this and that facts".

It's just providing him and the chuds cover. And will be trotted out as yet another example of liberal bias and fake news.

It's just disappointing that so many people here are falling for it, as SA is most of the reason I can spot this garbage in the first place. If anyone wants to see it in action laura ingraham angle uses at least one of these stories constantly and seemingly effectively.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I loving hate people like this. The only thing about "waking up in a free country" that he cares about is his belief that he is free to be an rear end in a top hat to his fellow man. I'm gonna go punch my heavy bag until my hands bleed :)

what a loving turd

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 20, 2020

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Today I learned that 3 on a beard trimmer is not the same as a number 3 buzz cut! Oops

I did that in February because I forgot after the last time I did it.

My hair was like 5-6 inches long, too, after that first swipe I got depressed and realized I had to commit, and told myself I will never do that again.

I will do that again in a couple years.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Related (media manipulation)... Florida is redacting data about case(s?) in January.

From what I can tell, if it was in Florida in January and didn't spread like wildfire with no quarantine, that would support the governor's claim that it's okay to reopen? Or at least that this isn't spreading like feared. But instead they're suppressing it, which seems to be against the governor's political goal of a quick reopening. They could be suppressing more data that goes the other way, just found the incompetence frustramusing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Edit: GBS. I hope we get a cure.

Unfortunately, GBS is terminal. There is no cure.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's just disappointing that so many people here are falling for it, as SA is most of the reason I can spot this garbage in the first place. If anyone wants to see it in action laura ingraham angle uses at least one of these stories constantly and seemingly effectively.

If you still think it matters what arguments the chuds are using to justify supporting Trump, you haven't been paying attention for the last years.

Trump is god, liberals are satanic gay commies, Obama is the antichrist and everything else is just for filling in the blanks.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Solvent posted:

A homeless guy cornered my wife in front of a cafe when we went out to get her a to go sandwich she liked as comfort food.
She just got her bachelors as part of SDSU's class of 2020...
She's been kinda depressed lately.

I got between them and he spit in my face.

Don't go outside.

Maybe I just grew up a trashy redneck, but I've seen some rather brutal violence result from less provocation.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that everyone that voted for Trump is a CHUD, there are people that voted Obama/Trump as their split, there are people that are being partially disenfranchised now that could be swayed away, there's a chunk of voters that supported Sanders but now are leaning Trump (as was the case in 2016).

Politically presidents from both parties keep being elected by different margins. To me that's enough evidence that swing voters are real and persuaded by events/media/policies/etc to determine who they will vote for.

I, and the $ spent on politics, think that now until November is the key time for influencing those votes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Politically presidents from both parties keep being elected by different margins. To me that's enough evidence that swing voters are real and persuaded by events/media/policies/etc to determine who they will vote for.

Nah.

The difference is who turns out. Very few people are being swayed to one side or the other. Lots of people are being motivated to go to the polls or not being motivated to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I don't think that everyone that voted for Trump is a CHUD

Correct. But that was 2016.

If you support Trump, TODAY, in the era of COVID-19, in 2020, you are a Fascist Nazi Ethnostate Chud. Full Stop.