Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the various smug, distraught, or happy expressions in this one

shuro is just absolutely done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I love her art style and thats a great sketch book!! I don't know what pages I like more all the kobolds & ogres? marcille dancing?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

:3:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Kui is very very good at a lot of things, but the one thing that really stands out to me in her art is how good she is att drawing differences in apperance. Often even really good artists end up drawing most of their characters with a few very similar body types with a major case of sameface. Kui however is fantastic at giving pretty much every character an unique and natural look with varying body types and distinctive facial features.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 20, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

Kui is very very good at a lot of things, but the one thing that really stands out to me in her art is how good she is att drawing differences in apperance. Often even really good artists end up drawing most of their characters with a few very similar body types with a major case of sameface. Kui however is fantastic at givinga pretty much every character an unique and natural look with varying body types and distinctive facial features.

Yeah, absolutely. It's really impressive how many characters are easily identifiable just from seeing their eyes. That would be difficult to achieve even in a drawing style that's not as deliberately simple as Dungeon Meshi's. And all of those characters are still extremely expressive; you can almost always see the general mood they're in. And on top of that, Kui is also extremely good at panel composition.
A potential anime will be quite a task.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i only want there to be a dm anime if it is a gorgeous labor of love. like, why even bother otherwise?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It'd be perfect for an old-style OVA, just covering a few of the best chapters with really nice art and attention to detail, not expecting viewers to want much intro to the story/characters or a firm story ending. But a full-rear end anime would need to be 2+ cours to really go somewhere with the story and characters and that'd just be monkey paw curls all year long unless some absurdly rich fan just dumptrucks money onto a studio. The dragon+farlyn chapters might make a good feature-length thing too, just for the animation spectacle, and to do Big Lore Wheelies for people new to the manga, but it'd be a pretty downer ending to finish somewhere around Farlyn going away again

Modern Casual Dork Edition Laius has tremendous power btw. I love those modern dress sketches in general, it's great to see kui just having fun and exploring ideas. It's also rare and refreshing in manga art to see Extremely Japanese-looking characters like most of the onis and Sureaus' crew, not just a different face and eye shape, though that might be just as much me reading junk

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2020

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
W-wait, the goofy elf is a dude?? My god, I have to change his mental voice actor now!

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Let's rewatch the mangá promo and dream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUBQZc9h1w

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I cant get through a single chapter of this series without craving some kind of food. Did anyone else suddenly get a hankering for hamburgers while reading this one?

Maybe its just me.

That series of images showing how each party leader works with their team members was pretty neat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Wallrod posted:

It'd be perfect for an old-style OVA, just covering a few of the best chapters with really nice art and attention to detail, not expecting viewers to want much intro to the story/characters or a firm story ending. But a full-rear end anime would need to be 2+ cours to really go somewhere with the story and characters and that'd just be monkey paw curls all year long unless some absurdly rich fan just dumptrucks money onto a studio. The dragon+farlyn chapters might make a good feature-length thing too, just for the animation spectacle, and to do Big Lore Wheelies for people new to the manga, but it'd be a pretty downer ending to finish somewhere around Farlyn going away again

...Not really? Everything from the beginning up to revival of Farlyn, with fight with the red dragon and their reunion with Farlyn as a finale is pretty much ideal for anime adaption. At roughly 28 chapters, it's just enough material for a single cour at a pace of roughly 2-3 chapters per episode which is a pretty good pace for a monthly manga adaptations. (Vinland Saga adaptation, for example, had roughly the same pace). That would give you a great, self-contained season, that would do a pretty good job demonstrating what Dungeon Meshi is about, while having a pretty ok ending. I agree that everything after that is a bit harder to adapt, because there is no clear moment to end the future seasons on, but IMHO the theoretical season 1 of Dungeon Meshi anime is pretty much locked on.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

All of Farlyn’s horrible circumstances are karma from denying the world her scruffy brother.

Avordoc
Jan 18, 2017
If an adaptation ever happens, Dungeon Meshi deserves one where the staff clearly loves the source material, like what happened with Mob Psycho 100. It'd be a shame for it to be anything less.

I also badly cropped and redrew the dancing Marcilles earlier, but couldn't figure out the timing or order.

Uploaded all the other poses into an album if anyone wants to use them to try and make their own.

https://imgur.com/a/cfmDKsR

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Avordoc posted:

couldn't figure out the timing or order.

don't worry, she couldn't either

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

DrSunshine posted:

W-wait, the goofy elf is a dude?? My god, I have to change his mental voice actor now!

there was an argument about that in the reddit discord last night- the translator initially assumed them not wearing a bra in the concept art meant they were a guy, but just from the way japanese handles gendered language that character had never been explicitly referred to as anything either there or in the main work

so the translator ended up going back and editing that caption to use "they" instead

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Lt. Lizard posted:

...Not really? Everything from the beginning up to revival of Farlyn, with fight with the red dragon and their reunion with Farlyn as a finale is pretty much ideal for anime adaption. At roughly 28 chapters, it's just enough material for a single cour at a pace of roughly 2-3 chapters per episode which is a pretty good pace for a monthly manga adaptations. (Vinland Saga adaptation, for example, had roughly the same pace). That would give you a great, self-contained season, that would do a pretty good job demonstrating what Dungeon Meshi is about, while having a pretty ok ending. I agree that everything after that is a bit harder to adapt, because there is no clear moment to end the future seasons on, but IMHO the theoretical season 1 of Dungeon Meshi anime is pretty much locked on.
Honestly i haven't looked back over old chapters for a good while, so maybe i thought there's more in there than there actually was. I'm not saying you couldn't make a tidy season 1 from the story so far, but i mainly had in mind how world details and little relaxed moments, which dungeon meshi is full of, often get swept aside or altered to make an anime adaptation fit to ~12 episodes, and man wouldn't it be nice if someone made a loving adaptation that appreciated all of that :shrug:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

don't worry, she couldn't either
gently caress

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 20, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd say the clothing options in the artbook are pretty solid way of seeing which gender each of the elves is.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Poor Farlyn getting bullied by dogs, she's really had a hard life. :(

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'd say the clothing options in the artbook are pretty solid way of seeing which gender each of the elves is.

yeah

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It don't matter when its elven, baby

/Frost

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jerkface posted:

It don't matter when its elven, baby

/Frost

Two elves diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not romance them both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
goddamn kui is talented. Those ogre/oni designs blew me away. I kind of wish she was a creative lead for some larger project in a game or anime studio.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Dragon's Dogma Meshi, that's all I want.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Scruffy Laius is hot as gently caress.

Also I'm pretty sure clothing detectives looking at the modern outfits button placements and some more recent nipple placement detectives have determined the elf with her flat titties out in this art pack is in fact a girl elf but like *waves hand vaguely* Elf...

But for real everyone has said it before but Kui is single handedly pushing fantasy to whole new heights just from her ability to draw so many different faces and body types. This silly little comic about eating monsters has basically set the bar for fantasy aesthetics that all future works in the genre should be compared too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I think its the combination of her distinctiveness as everyone has mentioned and then an ability to imbue a kind of "real life" aesthetic into the characters. Its the little touches! Most fantasies don't spend the time on that poo poo, it really elevates the work. The different expression, reactions, small movements, actions, etc the characters take outside of the typical fantasy fighting are great. To elaborate I think many fantasy manga or anime can have characters do a funny reaction or something but its usually not grounded in the setting. Its blatantly comedic or anachronistic. Dungeon Meshi characters act within their universe in very human ways which are well captured by the drawing style. Just thinking of the 9 panel of marcille doing her hair, great poo poo.

It is very funny as someone who can maybe draw 1 kind of eyeball to see the page with like 3 dozen different eye sets. Show off!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 21, 2020

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Chapter 9's simultaneous bread-making and arguing was immensely entertaining. Also I've heard kobolds being lizard/dragon/imp dudes before, but never dogs.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Ott_ posted:

Chapter 9's simultaneous bread-making and arguing was immensely entertaining. Also I've heard kobolds being lizard/dragon/imp dudes before, but never dogs.

Every instance I've seen of anything called a "kobold" in manga have been dog-people. From what I've found it stems from a mistranslation of AD&D where kobold's "dog-like features" got translated to "dog-like creature" and from older RPGs where they were dog-like. It's like how orcs in manga have pig faces as opposed to green skin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I approve of this change

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Balache404 posted:

Every instance I've seen of anything called a "kobold" in manga have been dog-people. From what I've found it stems from a mistranslation of AD&D where kobold's "dog-like features" got translated to "dog-like creature" and from older RPGs where they were dog-like. It's like how orcs in manga have pig faces as opposed to green skin.

My research concluded that the Wizadry series introduced the dog kobolds.
And after looking it up, the pig orcs, too.

-e-
Nah, pig orcs are early D&D. Wizardry definitely cemented the dog kobolds in Japanese players minds, though.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 28, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Kobolds were definitely dog-like in earlier editions of D&D, it's only later that they were retconned to be more lizard-like (and related to dragons) because they thought it'd be funny to have a weak and pitiful relative of dragons, I guess.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It turns into the goblin village problem but with puppies.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'll always think of kobolds as doggos because of first seeing one in SMT.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My first mention of Kobolds was when they were dogperson-shaped Cobalts in Lufia/Lufia 2. Hooray janky translation!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The babby dnd starter set I got in like 1990 featured dog kobolds so they will always be dogs to me

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My first kobold encounter was Baldur's Gate, where they were yipping things that came in swarms and decayed your metal gear. Lizard-ish, but pretty low resolution.

To muddy the waters even further, I imagine plenty of people's first Kobolds were from WoW. You no take candle!

Rat-people.

Oh, and Lufia may have been janky translation, but apparently cobalt was named after the Germanic mine spirits because of it's tendancy to poison ores, like the Baldur's Gate kobolds. Most accurate depiction? Maybe not. The traditional kobold was, like classic goblins, pixies and other mischevious sprites, basically a short ugly person, but one of it's distinguishing characteristic is that it typically took the form of a humanoid, an animal, a fire or... a candle.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My first interaction with kobolds was probably Ragnarok and they were blue dogs then and thats how they'll always look to me in my mind.

Actually no, it was Suikoden's kobolds and they were militant dog people but of a variety of races

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
These l'il horned rat boys were my kobolds growing up (description below mentions scales, though), but Deekin sold me on l'il dragon people kobolds.

(As an aside, I still ADORE the art in the AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual. It's distinctive and lovely)

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 30, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
D'Litiezzeri (haha, oh wow, I knew it was wrong, but it was off the top of my head after at least a decade of having last seen it and I was basically going 'just get it close enough for Google to figure it out...it didn't), ahem, DiTerlizzi, was a D&D household name for as long as he was for a good reason.

I wish he had gotten more work in 3rd edition and beyond.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Zero_Tactility posted:

(As an aside, I still ADORE the art in the AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual. It's distinctive and lovely)

Except for the Invisible Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Crasical posted:

Except for the Invisible Stalker.
I see what you did there

To take this slightly less off-topic, but still give me an excuse to post old D&D art: these guys were one of my favorite monsters back in the day (Small, obnoxious, singing mushrooms. About as smart as a cat), and I feel like they would have made a great Dungeon Meshi chapter. (Marcille would be very unhappy about the faces)