Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DoorDash’s systems could very easily have caught the mismatch, that they didn’t get charge the customer as much as the pizza place is charging.

DoorDash wanted to subsidise that meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If they didn't want something like this to happen they would've identified the potential problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They did identify the potential problem. They decided it wasn’t a problem.

The alternative is too stupid to entertain. This isn’t a Bobby Tables situation. It could happen with any restaurant in the world. There’s no check on it? Individuals pay more attention their own finances. Videogames have integrity checks that would have caught such a mismatch, even single‐player videogames from the last century.

Maybe DoorDash needs a financial literacy class so they don’t spend all their money on avocado toast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This did remind me of “The Special Delivery”.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

All a regular customer is taking away from this is that using DoorDash will make their orders cheaper. It doesn't matter that it's a long term scheme to starve out competition, you've got bills to pay now

...gently caress, what if the pizza article is native advertising? I've certainly helped them share it around :ohdear:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

luxury handset posted:

the uber flying car btw

https://www.uber.com/us/en/elevate/uberair/

if you are wondering "how is this meaningfully different from a helicopter, and what would make this viable compared to the already marginal existence of personal helicopter transportation in urban areas" then, well, that is a very good question

one of my favorite bits of mid 20th century optimism is that in the 1960s, many american urban planners were utterly convinced that helicopters would revolutionize commuting and so began planning for things like public heliports

Geeks have been in love with the idea of the personal helicopter / flying car since forever. It was a staple of all those light techie magazines (Popular Mechanics, Wired, etc.) and would crop up all the time on the usual discussion sites.

Apropos to the current topic is how problems were brushed away. Poor drivers? Autopilot. A malfunction causes the engine to fail or fuel to run out? Autorotate down to safety. Driver intoxicated? Build a breathalyser into the ignition. Expensive to operate? Designs will improve and optimise.

Personal flight is our right, damnit and the gummint is keeping it from us ...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Kind of hosed up that news sites (and newspapers) get away with re-reporting other people's stories. Here's the original, the Verge don't deserve clicks for this.

If you clicked through to the actual article (as opposed to the summary the poster provided) they very clearly attributed it to the original source with a link through:

The Verge posted:

Yesterday, Ranjan Roy, a content strategist and writer, wrote about the latter in his newsletter The Margins; one of his friends who owns a few pizza restaurants....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blunt posted:

If you clicked through to the actual article (as opposed to the summary the poster provided) they very clearly attributed it to the original source with a link through:

Did they add anything significant of their own, though?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Man, 114,000 journalists have lost their jobs in America since 2008. I get what you’re saying but acting like you don’t know how websites get traffic or operate in 2020 is tiring as poo poo. Click the original article, spend some time on site, boost their KPIs and move on.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Geeks have been in love with the idea of the personal helicopter / flying car since forever. It was a staple of all those light techie magazines (Popular Mechanics, Wired, etc.) and would crop up all the time on the usual discussion sites.

Apropos to the current topic is how problems were brushed away. Poor drivers? Autopilot. A malfunction causes the engine to fail or fuel to run out? Autorotate down to safety. Driver intoxicated? Build a breathalyser into the ignition. Expensive to operate? Designs will improve and optimise.

Personal flight is our right, damnit and the gummint is keeping it from us ...

Kobe Bryant, living the techbro dream.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
And I really doubt Roy (the guy who made the original article) is that concerned about sites reposting his content: his article is getting linked on major news sites like the BBC now and probably tons of people are getting to his site through links to the original article. People who would have never heard about this guy otherwise. It's smart that he links to his own content in the original article too, so people will stay longer on his site.

He's crying all the way to the bank.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 20, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I have saved $500 in delivery fees and spent 75.00 in monthly fees for 7 months. So yes these IDIOTS are for the taking by their own design.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They added their ability to reach their audience, many of whom otherwise wouldn't've seen the story. It's no different than someone posting it in this thread - "hey, check this out, it's pretty cool!"

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Civilized Fishbot posted:

They added their ability to reach their audience, many of whom otherwise wouldn't've seen the story. It's no different than someone posting it in this thread - "hey, check this out, it's pretty cool!"

Ah, so the original author is paid in exposure. Well, why didn't you say so?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i only consume raw, unfiltered, authentic content direct from the source. i believe in the Slow Content movement

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Karia posted:

It's common practice to report on news including news resulting from investigative journalism. When the WSJ broke the Theranos story, or any other news broken by journalists, should all other news outlets have kept quiet until their own reporters had dug up the same information?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Æxecor doesn't seem to exist though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Owling Howl posted:

It's common practice to report on news including news resulting from investigative journalism. When the WSJ broke the Theranos story, or any other news broken by journalists, should all other news outlets have kept quiet until their own reporters had dug up the same information?
Sadly, they often do.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Karia posted:

Imagine how much money Twitter users could be making if we had to pay to retweet or share their content! Copyrighted tweets, tweet royalties and retweeting licenses!

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 20, 2020

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Karia posted:

How else can you be paid for an article you posted online for free, but by having people link to it?

The author posted their article online for free with the intent that it be read - what is the Verge doing wrong by sharing it with people and linking to it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
g2a shot itself in the foot

Lawsuits from other companies can't be far behind.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

g2a shot itself in the foot

Lawsuits from other companies can't be far behind.

oh yeah they're hosed. time to run to NZ.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Why would they be protected in NZ?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i forgot the vocab term, but they dont give people the US and US allied countries want?

its like how Assange holed up in the Ecuadorean Embassy .

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Asylum?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Extradition.

Note that they'll be praying that an NZ court will block the extradition, not that NZ doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Continuity RCP posted:

Æxecor doesn't seem to exist though

Submissions to the daily wtf are best thought of as a writing prompt for the author of the site. They change everything about the story to prevent the original submitter from being doxxed. Everything up to the barge showing up is probably roughly true, the "what the gently caress" realization would've been when barge's company asked where they're supposed to be taking all this stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I don’t believe that the story happened as written.

I do believe that the computer bits of the story are accurate, that the company lost a bunch of money on the commodities trade (doesn’t have to be coal) due to bad programming and arrogance, and that the story was known far and wide within the company.

You don’t have to hold the bag all the way to the end to lose money. Remember the negative oil prices in Oklahoma? People lost their shirts in April for contracts that filled this month.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 21, 2020

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

i forgot the vocab term, but they dont give people the US and US allied countries want?

its like how Assange holed up in the Ecuadorean Embassy .

Unfortunately, that isn't true for NZ. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom who is currently, mostly unsuccessfully, fighting against extradition to the US after being raided by the police at the behest of the US goverment. Note; this is not a defense of Kim Dotcom who is a terrible person.

Also see the time we gave Peter Thiel citizenship for his hidden bolthole despite him not qualifying (hadn't been in the country enough over the last year) to suck up to him and Palantir.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
It's pretty hard these days to find a country that doesn't extradite to the US or it's close allies that also provides an acceptable standard of living and a low risk of getting stuffed in a black bag.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I don’t believe that the story happened as written.

I do believe that the computer bits of the story are accurate, that the company lost a bunch of money on the commodities trade (doesn’t have to be coal) due to bad programming and arrogance, and that the story was known far and wide within the company.

You don’t have to hold the bag all the way to the end to lose money. Remember the negative oil prices in Oklahoma? People lost their shirts in April for contracts that filled this month.

That story is a commodities trader fable. Everyone knows some guy who knew someone at his last firm who had some variation of it happen to his boss/underling/mentor.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Media Bloodbath posted:

It's pretty hard these days to find a country that doesn't extradite to the US or it's close allies that also provides an acceptable standard of living and a low risk of getting stuffed in a black bag.

Andorra nestled between France and Spain doesn't. I think they are the only country in Western Europe without US extradition.
They also lack any airports so it's not quickly accessible.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1263550318585032706

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That came up in several places and it is totally fine. A ton of companies (not just tech) apply cost-of-living adjustments to salary based on employee's location. In this particular case that is a very good thing, because the last thing America needs is a bunch of techbros who make $300k move to cheaper towns, gentrify the gently caress out of them and make the cost of everything skyrocket.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish that were the last thing America needed.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

That came up in several places and it is totally fine. A ton of companies (not just tech) apply cost-of-living adjustments to salary based on employee's location. In this particular case that is a very good thing, because the last thing America needs is a bunch of techbros who make $300k move to cheaper towns, gentrify the gently caress out of them and make the cost of everything skyrocket.

Alternatively what America needs is people on high salaries to move to cheaper towns and pump money into the local economy via conspicuous consumption.

See: all the cities offering people money to move there and work remotely.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

That came up in several places and it is totally fine.

Yes, it is very cool and good for a company worth over half a trillion dollars to lower employees' pay, not because they're making the company less money, but because the company believes the employees don't need that money.

:capitalism:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Doggles posted:

Yes, it is very cool and good for a company worth over half a trillion dollars to lower employees' pay, not because they're making the company less money, but because the company believes the employees don't need that money.

:capitalism:

Time to start a new company similar to Airbnb where tech bro’s rent out a shoebox with an address in SF but don’t actually live there. I’ll call it POBOX. Look I’m disrupting.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I think you'd still have the same problem if there was an exodus of techbros with adjusted salaries. Developer salaries, especially for a company like Facebook, are still high relative to other jobs. There's a more general problem in California that there's a lack of housing driving the costs of everything up so if you want to settle down with some money saved there's a strong incentive to just leave and a buy a house for $300k in Florida. The inflated salaries and artificial scarcity just dove-tail with each other.

Really the best thing about people working from home would be more people working outside of the bay area so the demand goes down. People getting hired outside of the bay area don't need to uproot themselves from family and their hometowns and can just stay there. Even if the salaries are adjusted, seriously we could do with less people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The catch (for employees) to the Facebook thing is that (B) your salary history is going to look ugly when you apply for your next job (C) your 401K contributions go down proportionately (D) bosses are tempted to not give you raises because "you don't really need it".

And of course (A) you're getting paid less for the same work while saving Facebook office space.