Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Those first gen vstrom are just so beautifully dorky I love it. Always wanted one. Great shot, too. Love the black/red house in the background matching your Strom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've been meaning to go riding since the quarantine/shelter in place started but then I didn't want to be the rear end in a top hat at a hospital if anything happened. And of course now Texas is "reopening" and the roads are getting busier. Oh well.

Anyway, I impulse bought an M4 slipon off eBay and installed it a weekend or two ago.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm the guy who spent $60 on ebay to get a stock muffler for my Gixxer 600 because the Scorpion was loud as poo poo and also bad for my battery. The thing starts up and stays running first time every time now.

IDK if I'll put it on for my next trackday; I might just leave the stock one on and try the Scorpion for the next trackday after that and see if it rocks me like a hurricane. It'll probably just kill my midrange and right ear (ofc I'll be wearing earplugs).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Gotta work my way up to those or Slavvy'll have my head on a pike :ohdear:

They come in 250 and 400 form :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

They come in 250 and 400 form :)

Aw hecc, now you've done it

But dualsport first :colbert:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Took a step back and saw just how fuckin used my drz is at this point. It looks rough

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Put a new ECU and upgraded suspension on my CRF450L so I had to take it out to the mountains. Thing's a wicked ride now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

Took a step back and saw just how fuckin used my drz is at this point. It looks rough

Thats..............how they're supposed to look. A DRZ is not a "keep it in the garage and polish it with a diaper" bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats..............how they're supposed to look. A DRZ is not a "keep it in the garage and polish it with a diaper" bike

Tell me more about this mystic technique.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i'm too used to seeing the DRZ for sale ads in my facebook group that are like spotless. people buying these things and then immediately taking a 30% loss on them to sell it for something else before they even really get used

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Coydog posted:

Those first gen vstrom are just so beautifully dorky I love it. Always wanted one. Great shot, too. Love the black/red house in the background matching your Strom.

Yeah, the looks have really grown on me too. Its weird how small it looks in photos, my friend told me the bike was way bigger than the thought from the photos.

I just love to ride it, its so nice to go in the twisties with it and also get on the highway and do 140kph for hours without getting fatigued.

And thanks, the side of the road is just a meter wide before it drops into the lake. Had to stop the bike right when i saw how the road went. Absolutely lovely.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Gish posted:

Put a new ECU and upgraded suspension on my CRF450L so I had to take it out to the mountains. Thing's a wicked ride now.

I have to constantly talk myself down from buying one of these

I am tempted by an AJP PR7 though, seems like a spiritual successor to my xr650r if ever there was one

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Picked up my new 2020 ZX-6R.

Rode it for a bit over an hour coming back from the dealer and it's pretty great. The riding position is comfortable for me and I didn't feel like I was tired when I got home at all. Still in break in so I didn't go over 4k much, but the throttle response is great and at 60 it feels a whole lot smoother than the N400. I did a couple of emergency brake tests and holy crap are those good. Completely different from the N400, though that's to be expected having bigger and dual rotors. Engine sound is such an improvement too over the parallel twin.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Rode it for a bit over an hour coming back from the dealer and it's pretty great. The riding position is comfortable for me and I didn't feel like I was tired when I got home at all. Still in break in so I didn't go over 4k much, but the throttle response is great and at 60 it feels a whole lot smoother than the N400. I did a couple of emergency brake tests and holy crap are those good. Completely different from the N400, though that's to be expected having bigger and dual rotors. Engine sound is such an improvement too over the parallel twin.
:swoon:

drat I didn't realize how much more aggressive the style was on the new ones, at first glance I thought it was a ZX-10.

Yeah going up to an inline 4 is a big jump, I babied mine for a long time after I got it, well into the breakin period. Granted I did the 300 > 636, so a little bit more of a gap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I won’t lie, I think that team green’s decal scheme is a little busy lately but I LOOOVE the styling on that bike. Man I love the swingarms on big boy ninjas too.

So glad you’re happy on the new purchase! I still have a poo poo eating grin every time I look at my new bike.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:swoon:

drat I didn't realize how much more aggressive the style was on the new ones, at first glance I thought it was a ZX-10.

Yeah going up to an inline 4 is a big jump, I babied mine for a long time after I got it, well into the breakin period. Granted I did the 300 > 636, so a little bit more of a gap.

Yeah, I'll probably keep mine in low power mode for the rest of the season to get acclimated to it. Cool thing is that it only reduces power over ~10k rpm, so from a start it's similar. Makes it an easier jump from the 44 hp to 130 or whatever. Pretty insane though that I've been keeping it at only 1/4 of the red line. Also have a quick shifter for up shifts is awesome.

Martytoof posted:

I won’t lie, I think that team green’s decal scheme is a little busy lately but I LOOOVE the styling on that bike. Man I love the swingarms on big boy ninjas too.

So glad you’re happy on the new purchase! I still have a poo poo eating grin every time I look at my new bike.

Yeah I really don't know where they're going to go from from here. It's about as busy as can be at this point.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Goddamn Kawi has zero chill at all times and I really respect em for it. Grats on your awesome new bike!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

jump from the 44 hp to 130 or whatever.

:stare: Hope you packed your moon boots cause you're goin to space.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah low power mode cuts that to ~ 84 hp, and it's all on the top end so it's not like you don't know it's coming. I wanted modern motorcycle with a 4 cylinder than didn't make $texas amounts of hp and this is actually one of the more reasonable ones. My dad was trying to talk me in to getting a ducati streetfighter (208 hp!) and I told him hell no. What would you even do with that on the street?

I've been driving turbo cars for a long time and actually like the building power that they make, and this seems very similar so it's comforting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I hope they release the ZX-25R in the US. :unsmith:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Yeah low power mode cuts that to ~ 84 hp, and it's all on the top end so it's not like you don't know it's coming. I wanted modern motorcycle with a 4 cylinder than didn't make $texas amounts of hp and this is actually one of the more reasonable ones. My dad was trying to talk me in to getting a ducati streetfighter (208 hp!) and I told him hell no. What would you even do with that on the street?

I've been driving turbo cars for a long time and actually like the building power that they make, and this seems very similar so it's comforting.

you'd do fat fuckin wheelies that's what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If my old coworker with a Panigale is any indication you fart it back and forth to work in traffic, constantly check on it out the window during the day, really give ‘er the beans on the on-ramp when you leave and then go back to farting in traffic

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pff I do that now on a babby parallel twin.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Lots of power is fun, but when you get on the freeway in 2nd doing 90mph and you have 4 gears left you didn't use it's a little anticlimactic.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I think once I get something small and fun to use for going to work or running errands like a Tdub or a DRZ I will just convert my supersport to a track bike.

Thing has no place on the street.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember my gsxr would do 75mph in first. Faster than the highway speed limit

Fairly excessive for anything but a race course

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 21, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
idk tuono power makes getting to work a lot faster and fun. 50 mi commute sucked a lot more when it was on a drz

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The 2019/2020 zx6r was changed to have a one less tooth on the countershaft sprocket so it has a bit more low down torque now and not quite the insanely tall gearing which is nice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

Lots of power is fun, but when you get on the freeway in 2nd doing 90mph and you have 4 gears left you didn't use it's a little anticlimactic.

The last four gears are for efficiency! Accelerate up to the legal limit in second, then mash your way up to sixth and cruise along at idle rpms, sipping fuel.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
On a i4 rpm monster like my fz6n(100hp, 14k redline, 440lbs) I sit at 90kmh/55mph in 6th gear at 5k rpm. There it's at around 50 mpg. It has enough torque to handle that with me and luggage at any grade of climb.

In practice it means if I wanna cruise on some boring straight roads I just kick it up in 6th. If it's a windy narrow fjords road I play around in 3-4th to have it not be too snatchy on throttle input as 2nd would give me.

So yes 3-6 is just "how much do you wanna chill/not annoy people along the road."

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

idk tuono power makes getting to work a lot faster and fun. 50 mi commute sucked a lot more when it was on a drz

A 50 mile commute sucks period, as does highway anything on a motard. No poo poo the Tuono is better for slabbing it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Can I ask how long you rode the N400 before getting a 636? Just for curiosity. Also, how did you like that seat height at first?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Same questions! I’m not ready for one yet but I like reading about how other people transitioned into super sports.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rolo posted:

Can I ask how long you rode the N400 before getting a 636? Just for curiosity. Also, how did you like that seat height at first?

Same questions! I’m not ready for one yet but I like reading about how other people transitioned into super sports.
I had a 2016 Ninja 300, my first ever bike, for just over a year and close to 7,000 miles before I got a 2017 ZX-6R. I had that for almost two years and 11,000 miles. The jump was nice, but I honestly should have stayed on the 300 for longer and gotten much more skilled. Plus, insurance and gas/maintenance were ridiculously cheap too, I averaged somewhere around 50 mpg even with lots of highway commuting at high RPMs.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've had the N400 for just under 2 years and about 6k miles. Seat height feels fine to me, I'm not super tall or anything at 5'9" but I can flat foot it. Seat is much more comfortable than the N400. I did another hour and a half on it today. I feel completely comfortable on the 636 but I'm a pretty cautious rider and have no desire to push the limits on the road, and I live out in the country so the traffic is pretty light. It's also not much heavier than the N400 is (366 lbs vs 430 lbs).

I don't commute by motorcycle so whenever I ride I am 100% in the mindset and if I don't feel it I don't get on it.

Edit: I really need to get a new helmet though as it wasn't made for the more tucked position and starts to get tedious at the end.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 22, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I don't commute by motorcycle so whenever I ride I am 100% in the mindset and if I don't feel it I don't get on it.

Man this is something that was stressed in my rider training but I don't think people focus on. I can work out and be tired and still drive my car to the store for groceries no sweat, but I had the slightest inkling of getting on my bike after a jog on Wednesday and I realized with how sore and lightheaded I was that I would likely be too distracted to safely do the thing. If I'm in any way feeling out of it or moody or whatever, those keys stay in my pocket.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rolo posted:

I had an old-school EX250 that was a great bike. Then eventually I got an FZ-09, which was super fun to ride around, but really too fast for a dense urban area. Even tho it was super fun in those areas. After I started doing a few track days, I switched it for a GSXR600 which is a whole other experience.

Can't wait to do a few turns on a track with this thing tho. It feels even more wasted on city streets and highways than the FZ did.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Man this is something that was stressed in my rider training but I don't think people focus on. I can work out and be tired and still drive my car to the store for groceries no sweat, but I had the slightest inkling of getting on my bike after a jog on Wednesday and I realized with how sore and lightheaded I was that I would likely be too distracted to safely do the thing. If I'm in any way feeling out of it or moody or whatever, those keys stay in my pocket.

While there's certainly some truth to that, I find that getting on the bike focuses my mind on riding the bike and I end up feeling better. Sure, if I'm actually in pain, I wont ride, but sore? I won't notice it on the bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Rolo posted:

i took the MSF, bought a new drz400sm at the dealer the next weekend. on the way home from taking delivery i front flipped it stopping from 70 mph grabbing brake and then crashed it into a mailbox after getting towed home. about a year later i did my first mountain carving run with no issues and felt pretty confident. from there i took cornerspin and became more interested in dirt riding.
2 years after getting the drz i bought an '03 Aprilia Tuono and have put about 45,000 trouble--free miles on it so far

never had any interest in track since i go to the mountains for twisty runs

it's been weird only ever riding bikes with no electronic aids and there were definitely situations where I would have come out better if I had ABS or TC but i think the lack of them has made me into a more attentive rider overall

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

While there's certainly some truth to that, I find that getting on the bike focuses my mind on riding the bike and I end up feeling better. Sure, if I'm actually in pain, I wont ride, but sore? I won't notice it on the bike.

This might be my mantra when I’ve got a few more thousand KM under my belt. I think right now it would just be a distraction.

So I guess I meant that as more as coming from the perspective of a new rider :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

crossed a couple streams while finishing up the western TN portion of the TAT this morning :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s so cool. Do you have any more pics?