Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sincx posted:

* canceling US Treasuries held by the PRC

Pretty certain that's a selective default, which would obliterate the US Treasury and basically kill dead the market for US Treasuries, in particular since selective default is treated the same as a complete default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pretty certain that's a selective default, which would obliterate the US Treasury and basically kill dead the market for US Treasuries, in particular since selective default is treated the same as a complete default.

Yeah but what's the downside.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
[quote=sincx posted:
The US actually has plenty of cards it can play, such as (in rough order of escalation)

* adding more PRC organizations to the entities list
* delisting all PRC companies from US exchanges
* adding all PRC organizations to the entities list
[/quote]

Explain this to me like I am two. Adding more companies to entity list... okay so you basically banning more Chinese companies from buy/sell with American companies. How can you guarantee this sanction hurt the Chinese companies more than the US companies? Also trying to hurt (partially) state owned companies thru monetary and profit means is kind of pointless.

Take Huawei for example, US can mount an effective sanction of Huawei chips fabbing only because US has a decent technology lead in the in the business of semiconductor both in patents and technologies. US can not stop Huawei in the area of 5G because the US has no technology lead in that area and thus no leverage.

Same logic apply to other company in other areas. Let make another random example I am familiar with. The ebike market, for example, the Chinese pretty much own the sub-$3000, low and mid range markets. The US would not be able to ban the Chinese ebike companies from doing business outside of US. And banning Chinese ebike in US definitely will hurt the US more the China because now the US consumers will have to buy $3k-5k european ebikes instead of choosing any bike from $1k-5k. Actually this example already happened in the e-skateboard market last year. The market used to have a really good, premium e-skateboard company based in the US who actually does R&D in the US (Boosted), but thanks to the trade war and boneheaded expansion move by the CEO, Boosted promptly went out of business. And now the vast majority of the e-skateboards are from Chinese that does R&D in China and made in China.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

I'll believe it when I see it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

a god drat idiot posted:

I imagine some or most of these would be some sort of WTO violation.

The WTO is completely worthless as an organization, it has no fangs and can do nothing unless the big dogs let them. They're not even good at doing that, they have tons of complaints from their founding that are still unaddressed lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
jimmy is at it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHxZ1d2kqI

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sincx posted:

it would be stuff like banning lenovo from buying intel and amd chips, banning zte (again) from buying qualcomm chips, banning chinese airlines from buying turbine engines with US technology (which is all of them), etc

an extreme version could include forcing all countries subservient to US hegemony (not just taiwan, but also south korea and japan and the netherlands) to stop selling semiconductors or semiconductor manufacturing equipment to china

all that can seriously hurt china in the short term, but damage the US way more in the long run

with this administration though, they might just be dumb enough to do it

South Korea isn't going to stop doing business with China, and neither is Thailand, or the EU. The US tried with 5g and it was a complete disaster, not with the UK would join in.

Also, it would give China an excuse to utterly obliterate American companies doing business in the PRC.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

South Korea isn't going to stop doing business with China, and neither is Thailand, or the EU. The US tried with 5g and it was a complete disaster, not with the UK would join in.

Also, it would give China an excuse to utterly obliterate American companies doing business in the PRC.

I forsee a lot of fire safety violations in Starbucks and Nike stores in the future.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 08:06 on May 25, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ardennes posted:

China already forces American companies to come in under a Chinese-owned business, I don't see why they'd stop that, they're already winning as far as that's concerned.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

stephenthinkpad posted:

I forsee a lot of fire safety violations in Starbucks and Nike stores in the future.

RIP McDonald's

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_J3RB6W4o

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Forceholy posted:

RIP McDonald's

McDonald sold their china stake already.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

tbf the worst thing Trump will do is permanently ban Chinese students from the US

which will actually be pretty bad as the entire Chinese upper class depends on American universities to take their kids that weren't smart enough for Tsinghua (like Xi Jinping's daughter)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

they'll find alternatives, mainly in the UK and Ireland

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

The WTO is completely worthless as an organization, it has no fangs and can do nothing unless the big dogs let them. They're not even good at doing that, they have tons of complaints from their founding that are still unaddressed lol

The US has also stopped approving new judges since 2017, which means the appellate body is now incapacitated - the WTO currently doesn't function.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

stephenthinkpad posted:

McDonald sold their china stake already.

McDonald's still owns 20% of the China business

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NYT going full mask off over their opposition to oriental despotism
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1264179335981928449?s=20

Bro Dad posted:

tbf the worst thing Trump will do is permanently ban Chinese students from the US

which will actually be pretty bad as the entire Chinese upper class depends on American universities to take their kids that weren't smart enough for Tsinghua (like Xi Jinping's daughter)

which again, is a big blow to some US universities that at this point rely on the out of state tuition that Chinese students pay. It also undermines the whole idea of using education for soft power and convincing Chinese students that American Freedom is the superior way to structure society.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/AskAKorean/status/1264724102583107584?p=v
https://twitter.com/AskAKorean/status/1264725419691040775?p=v

every time people talk like this i ask myself why i should give a poo poo

if another country wanted to destroy delaware just to spite us id tell them to loving go for it

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

NYT going full mask off over their opposition to oriental despotism
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1264179335981928449?s=20

which again, is a big blow to some US universities that at this point rely on the out of state tuition that Chinese students pay. It also undermines the whole idea of using education for soft power and convincing Chinese students that American Freedom is the superior way to structure society.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3085758/coronavirus-wealthy-chinese-families-say-pandemic-has-eroded

Some Guy TT posted:

if another country wanted to destroy delaware just to spite us id tell them to loving go for it

Why would you? No one in actual real life gives a poo poo. Maybe get off the reddit for a while.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am watching the "Hong Kong is dead! Hong Kong is dead!" sound bites from the usual protest characters on the English mainstream news and got a good chuckle.

Pro tip: it's not properly "one country one system" until HK start paying tax to the central government.

edit: oh and start driving on the right side of the road.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:25 on May 25, 2020

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Because after all, those are the most important things in life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am watching the "Hong Kong is dead! Hong Kong is dead!" sound bites from the usual protest characters on the English mainstream news and got a good chuckle.

Pro tip: it's not properly "one country one system" until HK start paying tax to the central government.

edit: oh and start driving on the right side of the road.

They just mad their status as "honorary white people" will get taken away by the evil central government.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think that guy wants you to defend HK for it. It's just the truth.

Anyways HK isn't being destroyed out of spite, it's being destroyed because it's niche as a free market port and financial centre was completely superceded by Dengism and the 97' handover. The HK economy was moribund before these protests ever began, if that wasn't the case I doubt these CCP directives would get passed in government.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
another one of our beautiful celebrities has betrayed america

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7JJcRp0pww

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't think that guy wants you to defend HK for it. It's just the truth.

Anyways HK isn't being destroyed out of spite, it's being destroyed because it's niche as a free market port and financial centre was completely superceded by Dengism and the 97' handover. The HK economy was moribund before these protests ever began, if that wasn't the case I doubt these CCP directives would get passed in government.

It's more a meltdown over no longer being treated as a special unique place and being expected to follow the same rules as all the other provinces.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

a god drat idiot posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Repatriation of global supply chains and de-globalization was already under way before Covid. The epidemic just sped things up.

The issue is that there is no longer a strong culture of labour unions and economic protections for labour. Labour doesn't even have a seat at the table. Going forward a lot of manpower intensive industries in China will be brought back to the US and other aligned countries, but they will become capital intensive via automation.

There's an article covering this where they interview Dr. Doom (The guy who predicted the 2008 GFC). Basically the wealthy investor class will act as if on-shoring Chinese production is for the American worker but it'll all be robots doing the work and economic conditions for everyday people will continue to worsen for the next decade.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/why-the-economy-is-headed-for-a-post-coronavirus-depression-nouriel-roubini.html

quote:

When you reshore, you are moving production from regions of the world like China, and other parts of Asia, that have low labor costs, to parts of the world like the U.S. and Europe that have higher labor costs. That is a fact. How is the corporate sector going respond to that? It’s going to respond by replacing labor with robots, automation, and AI.

I was recently in South Korea. I met the head of Hyundai, the third-largest automaker in the world. He told me that tomorrow, they could convert their factories to run with all robots and no workers. Why don’t they do it? Because they have unions that are powerful. In Korea, you cannot fire these workers, they have lifetime employment.

But suppose you take production from a labor-intensive factory in China — in any industry — and move it into a brand-new factory in the United States. You don’t have any legacy workers, any entrenched union. You are going to design that factory to use as few workers as you can. Any new factory in the U.S. is going to be capital-intensive and labor-saving. It’s been happening for the last ten years and it’s going to happen more when we reshore. So reshoring means increasing production in the United States but not increasing employment. Yes, there will be productivity increases. And the profits of those firms that relocate production may be slightly higher than they were in China (though that isn’t certain since automation requires a lot of expensive capital investment).

But you’re not going to get many jobs. The factory of the future is going to be one person manning 1,000 robots and a second person cleaning the floor. And eventually the guy cleaning the floor is going to be replaced by a Roomba because a Roomba doesn’t ask for benefits or bathroom breaks or get sick and can work 24-7.

There’s a conflict between workers and capital. For a decade, workers have been screwed. Now, they’re going to be screwed more. There’s a conflict between small business and large business.

Millions of these small businesses are going to go bankrupt. Half of the restaurants in New York are never going to reopen. How can they survive? They have such tiny margins. Who’s going to survive? The big chains. Retailers. Fast food. The small businesses are going to disappear in the post-coronavirus economy. So there is a fundamental conflict between Wall Street (big banks and big firms) and Main Street (workers and small businesses). And Wall Street is going to win.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Repatriation of global supply chains and de-globalization was already under way before Covid. The epidemic just sped things up.

The issue is that there is no longer a strong culture of labour unions and economic protections for labour. Labour doesn't even have a seat at the table. Going forward a lot of manpower intensive industries in China will be brought back to the US and other aligned countries, but they will become capital intensive via automation.

There's an article covering this where they interview Dr. Doom (The guy who predicted the 2008 GFC). Basically the wealthy investor class will act as if on-shoring Chinese production is for the American worker but it'll all be robots doing the work and economic conditions for everyday people will continue to worsen for the next decade.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/why-the-economy-is-headed-for-a-post-coronavirus-depression-nouriel-roubini.html

It's a really pessimistic but also realistic given how the last 40+ years of US history has pretty much been the complete erosion of things like organized labor.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

etalian posted:

It's a really pessimistic but also realistic given how the last 40+ years of US history has pretty much been the complete erosion of things like organized labor.

Easy to do if you free up capital to seek a higher return in low cost countries. Just so happens China had the people, knowhow and cost-benefit ratio that allowed the financial interests of American business to hit the sweet spot for their profit margins. America created China and now it will reap what it sows in a new cold war.

The last 40 years made it easy to gently caress over organized labour because the jobs simply ceased to exist and the union dues left with them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In seeking to destroy labor unions, they made the world's largest labor union a superpower. Ironic...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

etalian posted:

It's more a meltdown over no longer being treated as a special unique place and being expected to follow the same rules as all the other provinces.

Hong Kong was a special unique place for most of the 20th century. It's not wrong to recognize that it's gone forever. The wrong thing is attributing the loss of the old HK to the cruel and devious CCP rather than the changing material circumstances. It's like a Venetian demanding independence in expectation that a free Venice could then resurrect a galley-based trading empire, the thought process ignores economic history.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Hong Kong was a special unique place for most of the 20th century. It's not wrong to recognize that it's gone forever. The wrong thing is attributing the loss of the old HK to the cruel and devious CCP rather than the changing material circumstances. It's like a Venetian demanding independence in expectation that a free Venice could then resurrect a galley-based trading empire, the thought process ignores economic history.

yeah it's pretty much trying to cling to a glorious nostalgic past which is no longer politically and economically feasible in the present.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the glorious past also came about because china was gradually opening up and HK was like a sluice gate or front-office lobby for it. while HKers can go "well we're smarter and better and we'd be doing great if it weren't for the evil CCP" but the reality is they just got lucky and were in the right time at the right place

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh i can't wait to read this

https://twitter.com/DzFGlr/status/1263963842507411458

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's interesting to read towards the end where he goes "well, a color revolution is probably not gonna work, nor is bribing the party bureaucrats to terminate their own system and blow it up like the USSR, so this is a real noggin' tickler"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Personally, I don't buy this automation argument. I think calling automation "robots" is just overselling the the process of slowly increasing machine productivity. I think there is a good few decades and even generations before you convert a large factory of a random industry to a completely automatic place.

I think this whole automation argument is what the center-left in the west use to dodge their obligation to the working class/union, while secretly sell their souls to the capitalists for 5 bux.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
https://twitter.com/izak_novak/status/1264782421410676737

https://cpim.org/sites/default/files/marxist/201204-Cheng%20Enfu.pdf

First, in terms of its guiding theories, democratic socialism denies
Marxism as the only guiding theory. It supports the diversity of
worldviews and guiding theories, i.e., the diversity of socialism in
terms of its constitution and theoretical sources. It regards
Bernstein’s revisionism and Keynes’ economics as its sources and
components. Numerous currents and ideas are combined into one in
the name of diversification and democracy of thinking, which in fact
only constitute a kind of ratatouille.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

a kind of ratatouille.

the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yes.