Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Shot:
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1264941857219502080

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1264978727416578048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The people cutting regulations don't believe in them in the first place, present circumstances are just an excuse. If they get lucky and no one dies, when things calm down it will be easier to say "see, we never needed that regulation in the first place."

Yeah Trumo just sees regulations as being anti-business and anti-profit. Never forget this moment from 2017:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/941406242785955841

quote:

In January, Trump signed an Executive Order requiring agencies to slash two regulations for every new regulation put into place.

"For the first time in decades, we achieved regulatory savings." Trump said. "We aimed for 2-for-1 and in 2017, we hit 22-for-1."
Trump also touted the strength of the stock market and unemployment numbers, attributing both to his deregulation efforts.
https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/14/politics/trump-deregulation-in-gifs/index.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember that idiot billionaire in Australia who bought tens of millions of doses of hydroxychloroquine "just in case" and donated them to the national stockpile? He then went around doing a bunch of interviews and ad campaigns claiming that they'd helped reduce the number of covid deaths in the country and everyone told him to shut the gently caress up
https://twitter.com/ABCFactCheck/status/1263236591306170370

Some state borders in Australia are still closed and this same fuckwit got denied entry to WA just recently and you'll never guess how he reacted
https://twitter.com/h24news_au/status/1265105019541622784

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

cash crab posted:

oh jesus :(

i had a similar moment when i had to break it to someone after he got back here after moving back from australia

specifically i remember at the time saying "100k!" or something, which was the global death count at the time (my neighbours always ask me to "say the line, bart", to ask for the Number, and he had just come back) and he went, "oh my god, infections?" and then i said no and he had to lie down in his room after that

For every worldly, educated American who has a finger of the pulse of what's happening in the world, there seems to be numerous multiple who are literally the 'I just wanna grill for god's sake' meme and are completely ignorant to everything that's going on around them. They work their day job, go home to relatively a uneventful home life, take their kids to sport on the weekend, and their idea of an exciting yearly holiday is tailgating their local sports team to the next state or something.

It's wilful ignorance borne of the privilege of being in a country that can recklessly smash its way through whatever is in its path due to its influence, and in doing so ends up providing them just enough that they're comfortable without ever really developing an interest in the world around them or any great aspirations that may push them outside their little bubble.

That reply video of them singing Star Spangled Banner as they all catch corona is just beautiful

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 26, 2020

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Waiting for 200k Thanksgiving.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whelp, I’m getting sick. Just a sore throat and body aches right now, no fever or cough. That’s crazy considering the extra hand washing and mask wearing. I hosed up somewhere.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It'd be interesting here eventually to see the quarantine effect on the regular flu, other illness, etc.

Edit: poor timing, good luck rolo

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rolo posted:

Whelp, I’m getting sick. Just a sore throat and body aches right now, no fever or cough. That’s crazy considering the extra hand washing and mask wearing. I hosed up somewhere.

Sadly, the masks do a much better job protecting everyone else from you than the other way around. If most of the people you've been encountering weren't wearing a mask, that'd certainly be a part of it. Best of luck getting through this if it does turn out to be COVID-19.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It'd be interesting here eventually to see the quarantine effect on the regular flu, other illness, etc.

Don't worry; plenty of virus sympathizers are hard at work out there making sure the flu numbers stay high too.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Waiting for 200k Thanksgiving. 4th of July.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

We’re going to find out in 5 or so months when flu season gets going

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blistex posted:

If that happens, you're going to see a shitload of teachers, admin, support, and maintenance staff getting infected and potentially dying because they were put into a situation where they were not being protected. Also parents who have kids who get infected and bring it home will probably try their hand at a lawsuit as well. School boards are going to have to make some tough decisions as well as the government.

1. Do you pretend that nothing's changed and accept that Covid will be swirling around schools like poo poo in a Jacuzzi?
2. Do you attempt to try and social distance in a classroom that has already been packed to what firecode allows?
3. Do you try and find additional floor space so that you can attempt social distancing in classrooms?
4. Do you set up a schedule where students and teachers work in shifts (by day) so that you can social distance without additional floor space?

Conventional schooling with Covid and no vaccine cannot happen. We still don't know about antibody immunity and how long it actually lasts, or what segment of the population actually has any immunity. If a Vaccine does happen, you're going to see a lot of people trying to homeschool as they're going to be 100% required if you want your child to go to a school (public or private).

We've had a fairly successful lockdown in Australia so far and some states have already started re-opening schools. In NSW high schools they brought back the senior students starting May 11 and the other year levels have had partial or staggered re-openings. They're still pretty cautious about the virus though, and several schools have already had to temporarily evacuate after a student tested positive: https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/waverley-college-evacuates-after-student-tests-positive-to-covid-19-20200526-p54wfm.html

quote:

"We wish to advise you that Waverley College has been informed by NSW Health that a student on the Senior Campus has tested positive for COVID-19," the school's message to parents said.

"We understand that the student has not been in contact with any boy from the Junior School.

"As a precaution we are sending all senior students home effective immediately. Junior students should remain on the Junior campus, unless they are a sibling of a senior student."

The Waverley College spokeswoman said the evacuation had been "very orderly" as the school had put together a plan and practised it last week.

"The school is very prepared for this, being [in] a coronavirus hotspot," she said.

quote:

NSW Health is working with the school to identify and notify close contacts of the student, who was not on campus on Tuesday.

"NSW Health is communicating with that list of people," the school spokeswoman said. "They've been instructed to isolate and also be tested."

The school will be closed for deep cleaning before it is re-opened within two days.

It's all a delicate balancing act and if conditions deteriorated they'd have to re-evaluate and possibly wind things back. They're cautiously optimistic but still extremely concerned and are willing to act quickly if needed. Contrasting that with the situation in the US where the lockdown has been lovely and there's a lack of testing and institutions seem slow to react .......... I have no loving idea how you guys are going reopen schools with any semblance of safety or caution.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

astral posted:

Sadly, the masks do a much better job protecting everyone else from you than the other way around. If most of the people you've been encountering weren't wearing a mask, that'd certainly be a part of it. Best of luck getting through this if it does turn out to be COVID-19.

Still, wearing mine is a good constant reminder to keep things away from my face.

The symptoms I have now are identical to when I get a cold. Comes on sudden, hits hard for two days and leaves a clogged nose for a week. I’m going to keep an eye out and go to the doctor if it’s worse tomorrow.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's all a delicate balancing act and if conditions deteriorated they'd have to re-evaluate and possibly wind things back. They're cautiously optimistic but still extremely concerned and are willing to act quickly if needed. Contrasting that with the situation in the US where the lockdown has been lovely and there's a lack of testing and institutions seem slow to react .......... I have no loving idea how you guys are going reopen schools with any semblance of safety or caution.

Yeah the u.s. is 13x as populated as Australia and has 1000x as many deaths, and our case count never dropped off like yours. It's completely hosed here for in-person classes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rolo posted:

Still, wearing mine is a good constant reminder to keep things away from my face.

The symptoms I have now are identical to when I get a cold. Comes on sudden, hits hard for two days and leaves a clogged nose for a week. I’m going to keep an eye out and go to the doctor if it’s worse tomorrow.
You probably have a cold

Sinus issues are extremely rare with COVID

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

We’re going to find out in 5 or so months when flu season gets going

I know it was borderline record bad before this poo poo started, and it really only ends late spring...

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Wait. I'm looking at the previous page and there are people in America who don't know our death count? How? How the gently caress? You can look up that information in 2 seconds. It's on the news every day (at least here in New Jersey where I am.) How the gently caress do you not know, let alone live in such an idiotbubble that it's that shocking to you? The whole world has stopped spinning and people don't loving bother to look up the latest updates on this poo poo? Everyone wants this poo poo to end. How is anyone not keeping themselves in the loop unless you're a little kid? I can't wrap my head around it. How the gently caress could anyone not know?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Waiting for 200k Thanksgiving.

Probably 350-500k tbh

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Nam Taf posted:

For every worldly, educated American who has a finger of the pulse of what's happening in the world, there seems to be numerous multiple who are literally the 'I just wanna grill for god's sake' meme and are completely ignorant to everything that's going on around them. They work their day job, go home to relatively a uneventful home life, take their kids to sport on the weekend, and their idea of an exciting yearly holiday is tailgating their local sports team to the next state or something.

It's wilful ignorance borne of the privilege of being in a country that can recklessly smash its way through whatever is in its path due to its influence, and in doing so ends up providing them just enough that they're comfortable without ever really developing an interest in the world around them or any great aspirations that may push them outside their little bubble.

That reply video of them singing Star Spangled Banner as they all catch corona is just beautiful

I'm really trying to look at the silver lining here and think "Well, there'll be a lot less stupid people at the end of this...right? Right???"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

stump collector posted:

Probably 350-500k tbh

I have a bet for a steak dinner that this will end up closer to 500k total dead than 250k so I hope so. Shame about all the corpses but a good steak is a good steak.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LemonLimeTime posted:

I'm really trying to look at the silver lining here and think "Well, there'll be a lot less stupid people at the end of this...right? Right???"

Sure, but since they'll spread it to everyone else it'll just be a lot less people in general.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

And despite my earlier bullshit I really don’t want anyone to get hurt, it’s just personally hard to react to being called stock without a small amount of anger

It's personally hard to exist in the same country as all these fuckwits during this, but here we are.

Rexxed posted:

Sure, but since they'll spread it to everyone else it'll just be a lot less people in general.

Stay in your backwater states and leave the northeast, CA, WA, and IL alone please, thanks.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 26, 2020

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Maybe. But even so, I don't want anyone to die :( Like when I hear about some dumbass preacher or that some stupid old guy who was ranting about the COVID19 hoax on twitter ended up getting it and died, I take no pleasure. It's all just a sad reminder of how completely hosed up this country is and what the powers that be have done to us plebs/proles/common people.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Maybe. But even so, I don't want anyone to die :( Like when I hear about some dumbass preacher or that some stupid old guy who was ranting about the COVID19 hoax on twitter ended up getting it and died, I take no pleasure. It's all just a sad reminder of how completely hosed up this country is and what the powers that be have done to us plebs/proles/common people.

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat here then, but at this point I'm just looking out for my loved ones and actual good people. My patience has run out for morons who have to go watch NASCAR and can't listen to scientists during a loving plague. I take no pleasure in it, but to quote Ivan Drago...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I have a bet for a steak dinner that this will end up closer to 500k total dead than 250k so I hope so. Shame about all the corpses but a good steak is a good steak.

Good idea to lowball like that

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bad news, the President said he is done taking hydoxicloroquine. He did boast that is “still here”. Can we get a campaign calling him a chickenshit for stopping going ASAP?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Also how is Trump not dead from this yet, dude's 70, never wearing a mask, and his body is literally falling apart like old wallpaper.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

suuma posted:

Literally never heard anyone say "China virus".

They should call it the Trump virus since his administration allowed it to spread like wildfire and now 100k Americans are dead.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Xenocides posted:

Bad news, the President said he is done taking hydoxicloroquine. He did boast that is “still here”. Can we get a campaign calling him a chickenshit for stopping going ASAP?

He said he was taking a course of hydroxy;asdklfj... What the gently caress good is a course of any non-vaccine drug going to do anybody for prevention?

Why do I keep asking why the things Trump says are so stupid?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat here then, but at this point I'm just looking out for my loved ones and actual good people. My patience has run out for morons who have to go watch NASCAR and can't listen to scientists during a loving plague. I take no pleasure in it, but to quote Ivan Drago...

Nah man, I'm not trying to call you an rear end in a top hat. We're both looking at the same chud idiots, and I'm pissed off over them too. It just... I had some sort of idea, and I know how totally naive it was now, that there was this idea that America still cared about America. That if the poo poo got heavy that we might still bicker at each other, but more or less do the right thing, or approach things in good faith. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking. I don't really blame the individuals, I guess. I blame the parasitic scum that has preyed on the poor and uneducated and brought them to the point where ignoring a global plague as a political statement is more important than making sacrifices for themselves, their families, and their communities. It all just highlights how alone we are. I hate this loving country.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Xenocides posted:

Strong poster name/subject energy.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lmao if you think there's some finite number of stupid people, and if some of them die, then woohoo! we are rid of that kind of stupid forever!!

Almost all rank-and-file people in the "it's just the flu" and "OPEN AMERICA NOW"-type camps are some combination of ignorant, misinformed, or just plain duped. They are largely victims of a gazillion-dollar media hate machine spanning from social media to Fox News and Breitbart and whatever else, all of which are extremely good at exploiting the dumb and dark sides of human nature (of which there are many). And don't forget the power of good 'ol tribalism in all this as well.

I realize that many people can be intensely aggravating, but your hate is much better directed at the Rush Limbaughs/Tucker Carlsons of the world than the people under their thrall. People like them know that COVID-19 is serious but keep insisting otherwise.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 26, 2020

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Nah man, I'm not trying to call you an rear end in a top hat. We're both looking at the same chud idiots, and I'm pissed off over them too. It just... I had some sort of idea, and I know how totally naive it was now, that there was this idea that America still cared about America. That if the poo poo got heavy that we might still bicker at each other, but more or less do the right thing, or approach things in good faith. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking. I don't really blame the individuals, I guess. I blame the parasitic scum that has preyed on the poor and uneducated and brought them to the point where ignoring a global plague as a political statement is more important than making sacrifices for themselves, their families, and their communities. It all just highlights how alone we are. I hate this loving country.

So we are in the same boat of thinking then.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

So President Trump just conveniently stopped taking hydroxychloroquine the day the results of that study saying it's worse than taking nothing at all and people still want to take it.

I know he was never taking it to begin with.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 26, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Zugzwang posted:

lmao if you think there's some finite number of stupid people, and if some of them die, then woohoo! we are rid of that kind of stupid forever!!

Almost all rank-and-file people in the "it's just the flu" and "OPEN AMERICA NOW"-type camps are some combination of ignorant, misinformed, or just plain duped. They are largely victims of a gazillion-dollar media hate machine spanning from social media to Fox News and Breitbart and whatever else, all of which are extremely good at exploiting the dumb and dark sides of human nature (of which there are many). And don't forget the power of good 'ol tribalism in all this as well.

I realize that many people can be intensely aggravating, but your hate is much better directed at the Rush Limbaughs/Tucker Carlsons of the world than the people under their thrall. People like them know that COVID-19 is serious but keep insisting otherwise.

Rush is hosed given that he's got lung cancer and living through the COVID pandemic. The powers that be in the universe just need to poo poo on Tucker, and soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

suuma posted:

Literally never heard anyone say "China virus".

Trump has been using it since January. His racist hatred of China is no secret, and he has blamed China for his failed presidency quite a bit in the time he has been in office.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I could probably go the rest of my life and never see or hear from Rush/Tucker/Hannity. Can't say as much about their listeners who all seem to want to tell me about them where I live.

I'd rather listen to people tell me about Alex Jones but I have yet to have that happen in real life, unfortunately.

edit: oh wait, the first part is not strictly true because every hospital, doctor's office, and other public place with a TV is always on Fox News.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 26, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Wait. I'm looking at the previous page and there are people in America who don't know our death count? How? How the gently caress? You can look up that information in 2 seconds. It's on the news every day (at least here in New Jersey where I am.) How the gently caress do you not know, let alone live in such an idiotbubble that it's that shocking to you? The whole world has stopped spinning and people don't loving bother to look up the latest updates on this poo poo? Everyone wants this poo poo to end. How is anyone not keeping themselves in the loop unless you're a little kid? I can't wrap my head around it. How the gently caress could anyone not know?

Does Fox news report on death numbers?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Disgusting Coward posted:

Totally unrelated, but I caught The Coof fairly early - confirmed by swab, not one of your "I reckon I had it" fellas - and for want of anything better to do went to work.

Uh.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah, thinking the numbers are fake I can understand but being unaware of the number AT ALL is baffling. The only way that makes sense is if their life has not been impacted or changed in the slightest.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Does Fox news report on death numbers?

They had this big scary "live" tracker for ~2 months. Full propaganda mode to make it as scary and inflated for a while.

Now it's stocks if the markets are green.