Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Jose posted:

I wish this was happening deep into the second year or something because it really feels like school shouldn't continue and they've not even finished first year

Yeah, there could've been some slice-of-life and end-of-school-year stuff splitting up this arc, and the pacing wouldn't have been any worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nezu's going to turn UA into a flying fortress and escape Japan with the kids to continue their education.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, there could've been some slice-of-life and end-of-school-year stuff splitting up this arc, and the pacing wouldn't have been any worse

We had the Endeavor internship and the entire chapter inexplicably devoted to Kaminari wailing "I just wanna be with you guys!" while Jiro gives him big eyes from across the battlefield. Oh and the chapter where everyone is having a feast.

I've had plenty of school-life by now for this manga and would like to see the plot starting to move along more quickly. We can get slice-of-post-societal-collapse-living after this arc, I'm looking forward to that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'll actually be impressed if this arc does manage to break the series' main "Superhero High" setting and premise. It's such a strong part of the MHA brand identity in a way that even breaking All Might wasn't (hell, it's the name of the series!). It'd be much harder to do spinoffs and side-story movies in a world where the baseline setting's been fundamentally changed, even if they go halfway by turning the school into a fortress or going off the grid. I'd like to see that big of a shakeup, but I'll also understand if they shy away from risking such a hit property like that.

The comparisons to superhero comics and Star Wars are solid, but Harry Potter also feels like a point of reference. The plot just reaches a point where it's not credible any more to keep having people go to school and have normal problems, with the bad guys just lurking off in the shadows somewhere.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
With how much of a fuss the story made last time with the ‘should kids still be going here?!?’ this has to be the next progression. Deku monologues his journey to become the greatest hero, not greatest student

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My Hero School of Hard Knocks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If the series was super dedicated to the idea that school was maybe too dangerous for the children in these dangerous times the Heroes wouldn’t have brought all these first year students with them for a raid on the most threatening villains in Japan.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jose posted:

I wish this was happening deep into the second year or something because it really feels like school shouldn't continue and they've not even finished first year

And yet I can’t really imagine the manga not doing the second year, given the setup of things like Shinso being transferred into the hero class next year etc.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

And yet I can’t really imagine the manga not doing the second year, given the setup of things like Shinso being transferred into the hero class next year etc.

What a kick in the dick it would be for Shinso if the school got shut down before he could actually be in the hero course.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Shigaraki is tricked by a little known proviso in Japan's board of education rules that says anyone who kills a teacher during a school year has to teach classes in their place.

The next few arcs are a wacky comedy where Deku has to go to classes taught by his archnemesis, whose only academic background is playing Persona. Hijinks ensue.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Next arc is going to be Deku's happy family vacation with his mom and an empty photo frame representing his father.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Now I want the kids to go to America purely so Deku can look up more states and cities to name punches and kicks after. You can't really Texas Smashed until you've been to Texas.

Deku names his kicks after European cities cause y'know SOCCER

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhonne posted:

Next arc is going to be Deku's happy family vacation with his mom and an empty photo frame representing his father.
Hagakure is Deku's dad?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure All Might is away from all of this he's not dying yet.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

wait they are still first-years? my sense of time scaling in this series is hosed up, i thought it went to their 2nd year already

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think they’re at the end of their first year. Which makes this a somewhat absurd amount of stuff to all happen in a couple semesters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think it's late march/early April, which would be about one year since they started classes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
There's no reason for them to not have a second year especially if it's the safest place for the students. Potentially, the focus of the school would change to ramp up students as quickly as possible to deal with the new status quo. More "field trip" missions.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Their school year is very nearly over, much like the city they're in now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Much like in Harry Potter, the bad guys will take over and begin teaching villain classes

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Much like in Harry Potter, the bad guys will take over and begin teaching villain classes

Twice would've won teacher of the year

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Twice would've won faculty of the year

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Twice would've won teacher of the year

He's the greatest teacher in Japan! He's a worthless idiot lunatic!

...Wait. I'm just describing Onizuka now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Twice gives a big, inspiring lecture about perseverance and never letting anyone tell you what you're capable of.

Round of applause from the students.

Camera pans out, reveals the students are Twice Clones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They’re cosplaying as the students, with the outfits over top of the Twice costume, wigs and all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Except Toga is Uraraka.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Except Toga is Uraraka.

Pretty sure she’d choose to be Izuku if given that choice.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Pretty sure she’d choose to be Izuku if given that choice.

I believe her stance at this point is either works.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I believe her stance at this point is either works.

She'll drink both their blood and turn into a fusion of the two.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chapter 271 colored.

Dabi always looks so great in these colored pages.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i dig that skin burning effect on dabi, say what you want about the guy but at least stuff actually happens when he shows up

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh that’s hosed, his symptom from pushing his limits with his power really is immolation. Did we actually have confirmation of that before? So Endeavor pushed him so hard he burned himself mostly to a crisp, but he didn’t actually die like dad thought he did.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Most Endeavour said about his kid was "hot flames, weak constitution". Not specifics on how the second part backfired.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Dabi may be an unreliable, repugnant, untrustworthy animal with a boring backstory who loses constantly and has done more to foil the VA's plans than any hero...

...but man he's got a good line of patter. (Also he stylin')

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dabi may be an unreliable, repugnant, untrustworthy animal with a boring backstory who loses constantly and has done more to foil the VA's plans than any hero...

...but man he's got a good line of patter. (Also he stylin')

Dabi is very good at owning heroes and getting under people's skin.

Which makes since cause he's got a lot of experience with that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also as we learned his talking poo poo is to distract people from the fact that he has a cool down on his flames.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
What’s the consensus on Dabi’s hair? Does he dye it or did it turn black when he first got burned, like Jeff the Killer.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's probably someone else's scalp.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh hey, another chapter of the Team Up Mission spinoff got translated. This one features Hatsume and Melissa Shield from the first movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

Oh hey, another chapter of the Team Up Mission spinoff got translated. This one features Hatsume and Melissa Shield from the first movie!

This was translated two months ago.