Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Towards The YA Ethics: the intersectional nature of ableism in online Young Adult discourse

in this thesis I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

there are multitudes of subhumans in the mel mudkiper/book barn metaverse, for example: people who talk about hating twilight, they are also subhuman

pls what is the cutoff for calling something omni- vs metaverse?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Carthag Tuek posted:

there are multitudes of subhumans in the mel mudkiper/book barn metaverse, for example: people who talk about hating twilight, they are also subhuman

pls what is the cutoff for calling something omni- vs metaverse?

Its subhumans all the way down

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What people posting about it

Edit: the point of the post was that making fun of Twilight is dumb at this point because there is an entire subculture built out of making fun of Twilight and that subculture doesnt read anything that's better themselves

You posted that in a subforum that has an active Twilight hate-read thread.

Just because you made a separate point out of the two statements combined doesn't mean you didn't literally state that Twilight readers are subhuman. It's possible I react more harshly to "subhuman" because I am a POC though and it gets used in a lot of bad contexts.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yeah no it's a dumb word choice. i expected it to be an irony thing where people making fun of twilight might use it but apparently not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am in a weird position where I feel like I should apologize for my word choice because it clearly upset you unintentionally but at the same time I also feel zero remorse about it

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
loving hell you're insufferable

don't apologize

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The point of that post seemed to be that people who hate on Twilight aren't any different from people who read Twilight :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Enfys posted:

The point of that post seemed to be that people who hate on Twilight aren't any different from people who read Twilight :shrug:

but I used a word that could be construed in the most unfavorable of circumstances to maybe be evocative of racism and that makes me bad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Sometimes it feels like this subforum's culture is partially stuck in like 2012, where making GBS threads on things or liking the right things is the key goal of posting.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Enfys posted:

the point of the post is fine. i think, at least. but the word choice is pretty dumb

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

its why we're the only good subforum left

the last oasis of those whose sense of self-identity is not so irreparably tied into their consumption of media that they take negative things about stuff they like as personal insults

I am sure there is a book podcast thread in RGD you could post in if you just want acritical support of your tastes and daily affirmation of your value as a person

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's ok to not like things too

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's important not to pretend you are better than the people who like the thing you're making GBS threads on.

Signed me, who likes better things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I like contemporary american lit so its not like my glass house is not visible from space

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

but I used a word that could be construed in the most unfavorable of circumstances to maybe be evocative of racism and that makes me bad

oh get over yourself. it's just distasteful

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really really hate the whole aggressive “it’s okay to like something!!!!!” thing that’s going on everywhere. sure, but it’s also okay to dislike and even hate something that’s bad. this whole lazy acceptance of anything and everything is how Netflix can churn out mediocre trash every goddamn month and yet people are still going “yaaaas gimme more”, and any iota of critical thought and reading that achool and university are supposed to help you develop just rots away, slowly and steadily

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Sure but it's also good to be able to distinguish between "this book is poo poo" and "this book's readers are poo poo".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I really really hate the whole aggressive “it’s okay to like something!!!!!” thing that’s going on everywhere. sure, but it’s also okay to dislike and even hate something that’s bad. this whole lazy acceptance of anything and everything is how Netflix can churn out mediocre trash every goddamn month and yet people are still going “yaaaas gimme more”, and any iota of critical thought and reading that achool and university are supposed to help you develop just rots away, slowly and steadily

same

or, as eloquently put

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7pKjTfrETI

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that this is all about stopping criticism. Plenty of criticism happens in other forums.

Criticism of the form "X sucks and the people who like it are subhumans" doesn't really anymore, because that kind of posting is neither funny or insightful in any way.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I have never claimed or aspired to be funny or insightful

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol yes why be thoughtful when you can just consume

happiness is the ignorance of consumption and critical thought will only lead to sadness I am the soulless automata of capitalism beep beep

You just seem so unhappy. You don’t have to buy anything. You can go to the library. Well, when covid is over, you can go to the library. Like just post about Walt Whitman or China Mieville or whatever Americanists care about. Wouldn’t you like that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am literally stunned that your solution to the criticism of consuming art as product is "use a library"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Sometimes it feels like this subforum's culture is partially stuck in like 2012, where making GBS threads on things or liking the right things is the key goal of posting.

That can't be right all the longest threads here are about loving the drat product

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please keep posts focused on books or authors, not other posters. Thanks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yes more on the topic of art as commodity for consumption this topic had good potential

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Yes more on the topic of art as commodity for consumption this topic had good potential

Agreed

The commodification of art sucks that is the Mel position

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also, to prevent anything as astoundingly dumb as "just use a library then" from being said again, let's clarify what is meant by the commodification of art.

It doesnt mean "buying art is bad" it refers to the reduction of the reader-text experience into one based on the idea of the text being treated as a commodity instead of as text.

Meaning that a reader approaches the text not as a vessel of information but instead as a item that is expected to fulfill the consumer's pre determined interests. The reader engages with a text on the understanding that the text will do the things the reader expects of it. If those expectations are met, the text as product is "good" if not met, they are "bad".

It reduces the complexities and beauty of the experience of engaging with art into a superficial act of treating art as one would treat a car or shoe, by utility.

The recent rehashes and returns of YA authors is a prime example of this. These new books only exist as product, devoid of intent other than to provide a service to a consumer who demands an experience they already know

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 30, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ya know, Exit Through the Gift Shop looks at all of the arguments y'all are making but in a much more interesting manner and everyone should watch it instead of making the same arguments not as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, to prevent anything as astoundingly dumb as "just use a library then" from being said again, let's clarify what is meant by the commodification of art.

It doesnt mean "buying art is bad" it refers to the reduction of the reader-text experience into one based on the idea of the text being treated as a commodity instead of as text.

Meaning that a reader approaches the text not as a vessel of information but instead as a item that is expected to fulfill the consumer's pre determined interests. The reader engages with a text on the understanding that the text will do the things the reader expects of it. If those expectations are met, the text as product is "good" if not met, they are "bad".

It reduces the complexities and beauty of the experience of engaging with art into a superficial act of treating art as one would treat a car or shoe, by utility.

The recent rehashes and returns of YA authors is a prime example of this. These new books only exist as product, devoid of intent other than to provide a service to a consumer who demands an experience they already know

Everything is a commodity under capitalism though. To the billionaire who wants it, your favorite renaissance painting is just a thing he desires because there aren’t any others like it, even though it wasn’t made to be put into a market. There might be a better vocabulary for talking about aesthetic experience than commodity fetishism, but there’s going to be trouble. The kind of experience people want from their art changes with the cultures people live in and the kinds of art that get made. I don’t think we’re going to be able to find a transhisorical notion of engaging with beauty, or a great definition of beauty or art.

Instead, it might be more productive to ask what’s a great piece of art to you, and what is your rubric for appreciating it? How do you treat a text and why does that make sense to you?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

That can't be right all the longest threads here are about loving the drat product

Huh? The longest thread is the Song of Ice and Fire thread, and lots of the other long ones are pretty equivocal or divided about their topic.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Everything is a commodity under capitalism though.

Capitalism sees (almost) everything as a commodity, but people living under capitalism don't have to.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know the answer is "money" but I wish artistically bankrupt YA authors didn't come crawling back to their main franchises for prequels and psuedo sequels after a few years

Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling, Suzanne Collins, etc .

Also I can't believe nobody lolled at the idea of J. K. Rowling writing money, especially while she's releasing a book free online. And Meyer, Collins, etc. aren't exactly poor.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Also, don't call people subhuman, and especially not just because of the books they like.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I wish I was more lax about my expectations of books. I find when I have a genre or style in mind that I’m disappointed more often and also rarely surprised since I’m going into some kind of known.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Also I can't believe nobody lolled at the idea of J. K. Rowling writing money, especially while she's releasing a book free online. And Meyer, Collins, etc. aren't exactly poor.

We all know rich people never do things for money. Are you loving serious.

Also yes, the only thing Rowling had done with her franchise since it ended was release a free book excellent counter point.

Instead, it might be more productive to ask what’s a great piece of art to you, and what is your rubric for appreciating it? How do you treat a text and why does that make sense to you?

How is introspection of personal taste a response to a criticism of a societal view of art other than a lazy way to deflect dealing with the criticism

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 30, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not gonna lie there is something really special about closing a book and looking at it, and then putting it away.

Especially for me because I can put it in my "read" shelf instead of the "unread" shelves. The longer it's been in the latter, the better it feels.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We all know rich people never do things for money. Are you loving serious.

Also yes, the only thing Rowling had done with her franchise since it ended was release a free book excellent counter point.

How is introspection of personal taste a response to a criticism of a societal view of art other than a lazy way to deflect dealing with the criticism

I’m asking for the theory behind the practice. You can’t just invoke terms like beauty, art, and experience while thinking their definitions are transparent to others. What is the method we’re discussing? Formalism? Presentism? Reader response? Give us a case to look at and show us how it works.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I dislike the idea of calling people who uncritically engage with a book (either through their love for it or their hate for it) subhuman. Calling them fascists is much better, seeing as fascist art (and their oppression of, yes, "subhuman" art) was all about denying the critical experience and instead art existed to valorise the fascist, i.e. sate their desires, especially their desire to be seen as great.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fair point. Of course, this forum thinks it is the Mishima readers who are fascists.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I’m asking for the theory behind the practice. You can’t just invoke terms like beauty, art, and experience while thinking their definitions are transparent to others. What is the method we’re discussing? Formalism? Presentism? Reader response? Give us a case to look at and show us how it works.

Again you are deflecting. Describing a problem does not necessitate prescribing a solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mrenda posted:

I dislike the idea of calling people who uncritically engage with a book (either through their love for it or their hate for it) subhuman. Calling them fascists is much better, seeing as fascist art (and their oppression of, yes, "subhuman" art) was all about denying the critical experience and instead art existed to valorise the fascist, i.e. sate their desires, especially their desire to be seen as great.

have you ever heard of futurism, because that runs counter to what you just said

and just assume I name dropped every known fascist/fascist sympathising author (like pound, celine, hamsun, mishima and so on) because that doesn’t fit with their works either

ulvir fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 30, 2020