Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Actually, looking at this chapter again, I wonder if X-Less frying the machine is actually what caused the electrical spark (from an electrical short, maybe?) that jolted awake Shigaraki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Everyone get in here and apologize to X-Less, whose intuition and foresight led him to destroy the only quirk destroying bullets in existence.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Eej posted:

Deku is pretty popular because he's an earnest good boy tho

I mean, you could say that for just about every student in this series.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think you can answer “why don’t people like Bakugo” pretty simply with “he’s an abrasive jerk who isn’t trying to change that and has convinced everyone around him that they should let him continue acting that way” and they see that poo poo way too much in real life.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Dungeon Master Shiguraki Tomura: "A massive wall of decay is rushing towards your party! How will you save them?"

Deku the Bard: "I cast Magic Foot Missile!"

DMST: :crossarms: "Y'all dead."

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

big snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

launch the kids with grenades you drat nerd

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ramadu posted:

big snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

launch the kids with grenades you drat nerd

"BAkugo is so boring. He should kill kids instead" is not the stance I was expecting but I respect it.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think you can answer “why don’t people like Bakugo” pretty simply with “he’s an abrasive jerk who isn’t trying to change that and has convinced everyone around him that they should let him continue acting that way” and they see that poo poo way too much in real life.

Well A) He is changing and B) Even if he wasn't I don't think he thinks everyone should let him continue he just doesn't really care. It's why he just lets every other student dunking on him for being a hyper and aggressive weirdo slide or poo poo talks them back at worse.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I mean, you could say that for just about every student in this series.

That's not true! At least half of them you could instead say "....who?"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like Bakugo for the same reasons I like Inosuke from kimetsu no yaiba

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would they get along or would they fight the whole time?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"BAkugo is so boring. He should kill kids instead" is not the stance I was expecting but I respect it.

thank u

hes bad as an anti-hero, buit good as a bad person. because he's

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ramadu posted:

thank u

hes bad as an anti-hero, buit good as a bad person. because he's

You're right he's bad as an anti-hero

Good thing he's just a regular hero who is sometimes rude. Bakugo was never billed as an anti-hero. The story never treats him as one. He's a hero through and through, that's whole bit! He's a jerk and abrasive but is usually saying things people need to hear just in a way that's not the best at communicating his meaning.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Something something, Bakugo produces nitroglycerine, a vasodilator, and if he relaxes too much, he could literally pass out and his heart stop so he uses the adrenaline from stress and anger to keep himself upright and aware, and it comes across as being extra and spastic instead.

That's the theory I read once, and considering Horikoshi's usual attention to detail with regard to quirks, it seems plausible.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Something something, Bakugo produces nitroglycerine, a vasodilator, and if he relaxes too much, he could literally pass out and his heart stop so he uses the adrenaline from stress and anger to keep himself upright and aware, and it comes across as being extra and spastic instead.

That's the theory I read once, and considering Horikoshi's usual attention to detail with regard to quirks, it seems plausible.

i think that's wack and he should just be an angry boy, thematic with the explosive nature of his quirk in like a cartoon way because it's a manga for teens

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he has an explosive personality. that’s it. that’s the joke

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Good thing he's just a regular hero who is sometimes rude. Bakugo was never billed as an anti-hero. The story never treats him as one. He's a hero through and through, that's whole bit! He's a jerk and abrasive but is usually saying things people need to hear just in a way that's not the best at communicating his meaning.

he sucks you drat nerd!!!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Bakugo is one of the very few remaining cast members on the hero side with an actual personality and that alone makes him a keeper

see also: endeavor aka the only good todoroki, and tokoyami, who has two personalities! or at least one and a half

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ramadu posted:

he sucks you drat nerd!!!!

bakugo fuckin whips and is a natural hero if not super great at being nice

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugou hasn't even done much in forever. Ever since the start of the My Villain arc, most of the series focus has been on the villains or the pro heroes response to them while the kids, even Deku and Bakugou, have been mostly supporting cast.

Hopefully after this arc is finished, more time can be spent developing the kid's characters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bakugou is good and if you don't like him you're a Nerd. sorry if this hurts

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Bakugou actually sucks because he told a classmate to kill themselves and has never apologized because his character growth is always in subservience to keeping him a poo poo head.

I'll be a nerd forever until Bakugou can do more than be angry at everything and the only "growth" he has is being angry at himself. He's okay for the occasional joke panel about him being angry and in fights but I'd rather other characters get the screen time than him.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 31, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only way to defeat Super Shigaraki in the end will involve jumping off a tall building, and only then will Katsuki know he has reached his destiny.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

You identify with Bakugo, we get it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Bakugou actually sucks because he told a classmate to kill themselves and has never apologized because his character growth is always in subservience to keeping him a poo poo head.

I'll be a nerd forever until Bakugou can do more than be angry at everything and the only "growth" he has is being angry at himself. He's okay for the occasional joke panel about him being angry and in fights but I'd rather other characters get the screen time than him.

Never take anything in the first 20 chapters of a shonen as gospel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

You identify with Bakugo, we get it.

No I identify with Mag-nee.

I'm sorry you don't like Bakugo but him being rude doesn't make him an anit-hero. That's not what that word means!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"I wanna be the guy who never loses a fight, to save everyone you loving morons"

Yo this dude's just like the punisher

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
yessss bakugou discourse. soon we'll cycle to toga stans who are definitely less problematic than people who like king murder explosion

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want half the class to get Thanos-ed by Shigaraki

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want half the class to get Thanos-ed by Shigaraki

Half the Class, most of the pros, some of class B (Save some bodies for the fire later) and like maybe one teacher.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never take anything in the first 20 chapters of a shonen as gospel

Bakugo being a lovely bully who sometimes stops being a bully for one page and everyone goes "OH WOW HE'S SO NICE" is the most confounding thing about this story. I like most the characters in it besides Baron Explosion Murder. The weird loving battered spouse shtick between him and Deku sucks.

Wife beating fireman can actually lay out an apology. An absolute awful monster. But Bakugo can't because he has an "explosive" personality. His character development is treated as great but is actually the shallowest among any of the characters who do get development solely to protect his shtick of being a complete jerk.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 31, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Half the Class, most of the pros, some of class B (Save some bodies for the fire later) and like maybe one teacher.

Yeah pretty much, this is The Time to pare down the enormous cast bloat if they’re ever going to do it.

Just save Mirko and Mt. Lady

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The one I remember is that a symptom of long term nitrogen exposure in humans is constant headaches and irritability.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"YOUR MOVEMENTS loving SLOW AND YOU SUCK! WORK HARDER"

This is just like Rorschach.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah pretty much, this is The Time to pare down the enormous cast bloat if they’re ever going to do it.

Just save Mirko and Mt. Lady

We're spent like 4 major arcs just bloating the cast and pulling farther and farther from the core cast who are still somehow just barely sketched in characters at this point we really gotta pull in.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Bakugo being a lovely bully who sometimes stops being a bully for one page and everyone goes "OH WOW HE'S SO NICE" is the most confounding thing about this story. I like most the characters in it besides Baron Explosion Murder. The weird loving battered spouse shtick between him and Deku sucks.

he's still not great but you're literally intentionally ignorant if you think everyone in the narrative is cool with bakugou's demeanor.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wife beating fireman can actually lay out an apology. An absolute awful monster. But Bakugo can't because he has an "explosive" personality. His character development is treated as great but is actually the shallowest among any of the characters who do get development solely to protect his shtick of being a complete jerk.

Yeah, this is it. Bakugo has established that he's an explosive jerk who has no concept of manners or softness but it's okay because "he says what needs to be said." This is a pretty common abuser profile.

bacon flaps posted:

he's still not great but you're literally intentionally ignorant if you think everyone in the narrative is cool with bakugou's demeanor.

People make fun of him but only in ways that don't actually force him to change. Has anybody actually confronted the fact that he's pretty much completely unfit to be a hero?

It's actually kind of similar to the way that the story occasionally toys with the fact that Deku constantly destroying his own body will eventually have permanent consequences but hasn't yet actually made those consequences happen or dealt with the fact that the willingness to break yourself over and over is a sign that Midoriya is psychologically unhealthy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

"YOUR MOVEMENTS loving SLOW AND YOU SUCK! WORK HARDER"

This is just like Rorschach.

We're spent like 4 major arcs just bloating the cast and pulling farther and farther from the core cast who are still somehow just barely sketched in characters at this point we really gotta pull in.

I legitimately think Horikoshi is just bored of writing them

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, this is it. Bakugo has established that he's an explosive jerk who has no concept of manners or softness but it's okay because "he says what needs to be said." This is a pretty common abuser profile.

People make fun of him but only in ways that don't actually force him to change. Has anybody actually confronted the fact that he's pretty much completely unfit to be a hero?

it's a comic and a cartoon, man. i know the teenage superheroes are basically cops but that doesn't mean they're hitting their wives like them

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Like I actually don't mind Bakugo, but it's telling 90% of his appearances are comic relief because he'd be an utterly intolerable otherwise.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The one person who tried to correct Katsuki's behavior is currently in a body bag.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I legitimately think Horikoshi is just bored of writing them

Well he should have wrote them in the first place. Half of class A are human furniture.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Like I actually don't mind Bakugo, but it's telling 90% of his appearances are comic relief because he'd be an utterly intolerable otherwise.

Lol he's basically a core figure and actively there for half of Deku's big character turns and moments and is one of the core 3 cast members from class 1-A.

I get not liking a character but come on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Rand Brittain posted:

the narrative has already shown that heroes are flawed and is continually addressing this theme/examining it. bakugou is not exempt from this and while this moves us into speculation territory i doubt that his own behavior will remain forever unaddressed in more meaningful ways, especially if there's a shift in the narrative that reduces the sheer amount of characters involved.

as far as being unfit to be a hero, he actually puts in the work and, you know, resolves crises. so. he's not completely unfit.

Funky Valentine posted:

The one person who tried to correct Katsuki's behavior is currently in a body bag.

ayyyy lmao