Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Official translation is out for these who were waiting, and for these who were confused by the scanlation. https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-273/chapter/20655?action=read

A bunch of wording and phrasing has changed from the scanlation -- chapter title is "The Thrill of Destruction" for starters -- and the artwork is much easier to read.

As I suspected, not all the quirk bullets were destroyed, it was just a poor translation.

Toga is also "tantamount to suicide", not on a "suicide mission".

Also, Shoto's ice wall decaying I think confirms Pixie-Bob is done for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bacon flaps posted:

the narrative has already shown that heroes are flawed and is continually addressing this theme/examining it. bakugou is not exempt from this and while this moves us into speculation territory i doubt that his own behavior will remain forever unaddressed in more meaningful ways, especially if there's a shift in the narrative that reduces the sheer amount of characters involved.

as far as being unfit to be a hero, he actually puts in the work and, you know, resolves crises. so. he's not completely unfit.

It's already being addressed. Literally every single teacher and mentor figure of his has gone on to say "Look I know you want to do good but you have to work on....your whole deal", from Jeanist to Eraserhead to Endevour to All Might himself. One of his big tests as a hero was Befriending Small Children. The story is actively addressing it, it's just that we haven't really focused on the 3 protag boys that much for a long long stretch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, this is it. Bakugo has established that he's an explosive jerk who has no concept of manners or softness but it's okay because "he says what needs to be said." This is a pretty common abuser profile.

People make fun of him but only in ways that don't actually force him to change. Has anybody actually confronted the fact that he's pretty much completely unfit to be a hero?

It's actually kind of similar to the way that the story occasionally toys with the fact that Deku constantly destroying his own body will eventually have permanent consequences but hasn't yet actually made those consequences happen or dealt with the fact that the willingness to break yourself over and over is a sign that Midoriya is psychologically unhealthy.

Repeatedly people have pointed out his demeanour and personality are absolute garbage, but his intent and desire is heroic. Just about every pro (except Endeavour) who has ever talked to Bakagou has had a crack at fixing his personality in the short-time they've interacted. The teachers at UA could be doing more, but they've got several students to deal with, they straight up sent Bakagou to remedial training for his lovely attitude and he managed to improve it remarkably under the tutelage of Gang Orca. He's still an abrasive jerk but he's better at toning it down when need be.

He's still got a long way to go, and neither he nor Deku have really gotten around to acknowledging and dealing with their incredibly bad past, but that doesn't mean he's being allowed to remain an unchanging rear end in a top hat, because if he was still the person he was at the very start, he certainly would've absolutely botched the death by Endeavour suicidal villain.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's already being addressed. Literally every single teacher and mentor figure of his has gone on to say "Look I know you want to do good but you have to work on....your whole deal", from Jeanist to Eraserhead to Endevour to All Might himself. One of his big tests as a hero was Befriending Small Children. The story is actively addressing it, it's just that we haven't really focused on the 3 protag boys that much for a long long stretch.

yeah but hes not changing fast enough in my weekly 17 page manga with a bloated cast (and sick 2 page spreads with no dialogue)

i guess "meaningful" in my post would amount to him, yeah, openly admitting his flaws and areas to work on, i suppose? in ways that are specifically about his personal behavior/attitude instead of how it relates to the action aspect of his hero work. he's definitely softened in his own way already, though.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

bacon flaps posted:

yeah but hes not changing fast enough in my weekly 17 page manga with a bloated cast (and sick 2 page spreads with no dialogue)

i guess "meaningful" in my post would amount to him, yeah, openly admitting his flaws and areas to work on, i suppose? in ways that are specifically about his personal behavior/attitude instead of how it relates to the action aspect of his hero work. he's definitely softened in his own way already, though.

I don't think you're ever going to get a scene where he sits down and openly talks about it with someone else. He knows they are flaws, it's why they show him taking to heart the lessons from those mentors and actively working on them (Unsuccessfully at times). Bakugo doesn't confide in other people, not even kirishima that much even tho he trusts him, so he's gonna do what he's doing, internalizing the criticism and actively work on doing better. Which is fine, that's his character. That doesn't mean he doesn't respect or appreciate the kind of person say...deku is. In fact we've gotten repeated scenes of Bakugo breaking down in front of Deku and talking through their problems and helping each other out in ways since the rescue arc starting with their big slap fight because they literally cannot connect to one another in a meaningful way without it being a fight to start with.

He's been doing exactly what endevour's being doing, for far longer and for much less horrible things.

It's fun, all there of the protag boys constantly just internalize basically everything that happens to them or is said to them and just kind of silently works through them for the most part. Even Deku who's so outwardly emotional leaves a lot of his personal issues incredibly closed away.

Kirishima and Electric Traitor need to sit down the protags to like, talk about their problems.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 31, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

kidcoelacanth posted:

bakugou is good and if you don't like him you're a Nerd. sorry if this hurts

Hi Bakugo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

kidcoelacanth posted:

bakugou is good and if you don't like him you're a Nerd. sorry if this hurts

it doesn't hurt cuz no nerd no nerd YOURE THE NERD

U drat NERD

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

I don't think you're ever going to get a scene where he sits down and openly talks about it with someone else. He knows they are flaws, it's why they show him taking to heart the lessons from those mentors and actively working on them (Unsuccessfully at times). Bakugo doesn't confide in other people, not even kirishima that much even tho he trusts him, so he's gonna do what he's doing, internalizing the criticism and actively work on doing better. Which is fine, that's his character. That doesn't mean he doesn't respect or appreciate the kind of person say...deku is. In fact we've gotten repeated scenes of Bakugo breaking down in front of Deku and talking through their problems and helping each other out in ways since the rescue arc starting with their big slap fight because they literally cannot connect to one another in a meaningful way without it being a fight to start with.

yeah i imagine that's where his largest detractor's issues stem from. and you're right. his post-united states of smash breakdown was a huge moment of vulnerability given how he'd been previously portrayed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hey man

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

endeavor is just kinda a ccold adult doin his thing

bakugo is literally telling people hes gonna kill them. hes awful!!!!!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Not so sure about this. Deku and Shoto were both very close to the decay wave as well when their own efforts failed, and they're still managing to get away. Pixie-Bob could still get out of this alive.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

He's been doing exactly what endevour's being doing, for far longer and for much less horrible things.

It's fun, all there of the protag boys constantly just internalize basically everything that happens to them or is said to them and just kind of silently works through them for the most part. Even Deku who's so outwardly emotional leaves a lot of his personal issues incredibly closed away.

Kirishima and Electric Traitor need to sit down the protags to like, talk about their problems.

The big difference here is Endeavor's attempts to change himself actually came with a significant personality change and contrition and even then the people he actually apologized to are still holding him accountable for his actions.

Bakugo says he doesn't think he's strong enough and Deku has this inner monologue about how he feels so sorry for Bakugo. Bakugo doesn't talk about any of his completely awful behavior or actions, and his only very very slight personality changes aren't towards the people he's actively tormented -- again unlike Endeavor. He learned to not bully children, but he doesn't internalize any of it and realize he's spent his entire life bullying a bunch of people who he treated as garbage because they had the gall to not be born as special as he was.

Imagine someone with Bakugo's personality as a cop. Because superheroes are the cops of this world. You have to beat him over the head to not be so hostile, aggressive, and bullying. And even then it's baby steps, and even then he has absolutely no concern for retrospect or apology. His character development is, I guess, solely focused on self improvement but he absolutely does nothing to make amends which is why I can't be bothered to care about his development. It's so shallow and impersonal and the other characters have to twist themselves into loops to rationalize and accept his non-existent contrition.

If/when these things are addressed and the development is deeper than a puddle I might amend my opinion of Bakugo, but as it stands he's nowhere near close to any of that and I think he sucks as a character for it.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 31, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be pretty hosed if they killed more of Kota's parental figures.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I am not sure how you think bakugo respects deku at all. it's made pretty clear he does not at all and would vaporize him if he could. He's tried a number of times!

I'm not sure if its cause im coming into the series and being able to read 270+ chaptetrs at once but man, he's just entirely detestable and if I was in his class I'd be trying to get him kicked out for being so unlikable.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Ramadu posted:

I am not sure how you think bakugo respects deku at all. it's made pretty clear he does not at all and would vaporize him if he could. He's tried a number of times!

I'm not sure if its cause im coming into the series and being able to read 270+ chaptetrs at once but man, he's just entirely detestable and if I was in his class I'd be trying to get him kicked out for being so unlikable.

it's incredibly subtle which on top of it being a shonen manga makes it even worse but bakugou gives deku advice/shows concern for him in his very specific way. he eggs his progress on instead of telling him he won't amount to anything. he definitely sees deku as a legitimate rival, especially now that he knows deku literally has their shared idol's quirk.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

bacon flaps posted:

it's incredibly subtle which on top of it being a shonen manga makes it even worse but bakugou gives deku advice/shows concern for him in his very specific way. he eggs his progress on instead of telling him he won't amount to anything.

Which seems to be predicated entirely on All Might giving Deku his powers, which is literally the only thing Bakugo respects, rather than Deku being a good person who has put up with Bakugo's violent and intense bullying for a decade and deserves an actual apology for being treated like trash because he wasn't born special. Like, seriously, Bakugo forced Deku into a unwanted fight but because it was due to his own insecurity it's okay? Oh, Bakugo blames himself for All Might retiring, what great character development! Maybe he can blame himself for being a piece of poo poo his entire life to people who were actively kind to him.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Which seems to be predicated entirely on All Might giving Deku his powers, which is literally the only thing Bakugo respects, rather than Deku being a good person who has put up with Bakugo's violent and intense bullying for a decade and deserves an actual apology for being treated like trash because he wasn't born special.

i'd imagine there's some amount of transitive respect to see that there's something inside deku that the man bakugou idolizes above any other saw him as worthy. i don't disagree with people's aversion to his VERY off-putting initial behavior or the idea that having some self-awareness and contrition is too lofty a goal to want from someone.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think if I could shoot flames from my body and was going up against a guy who could turn my body to dust with his fingertips the last thing I'd do is rocket my dustable body right at him screaming his name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Deku: 45%, and some absolutely incredible showing as a hero, including rescuing an entire loving bus, and even more people.
Toga: Gearing up to have a big moment, and probably kill a LOT of heroes
Twice: All but confirmed killed
Shigaraki: Full completing his transformation into the new Symbol of Evil.
Bakugo: Shows up in one panel saving a child

Thread: BAKUGO DISCOURSE

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Oxxidation posted:

Bakugo is one of the very few remaining cast members on the hero side with an actual personality and that alone makes him a keeper

see also: endeavor aka the only good todoroki, and tokoyami, who has two personalities! or at least one and a half

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

make the series about mina already CHRIST

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ramadu posted:

He literally stops and quietly gives him advice here and there after the slap fight and has shifted from saying he cant do poo poo to demanding deku try harder has he knows he can do better. It's why he gives deku so much poo poo for not putting his all into stuff here and there especially in their talks and training with just them and all might.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramadu posted:

endeavor is just kinda a ccold adult doin his thing

bakugo is literally telling people hes gonna kill them. hes awful!!!!!

Endeavor is canonically a child abusing wife-beater but ok explodokill is the real villain here

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Dude. He's dead. Like, at the point, from a wasting our time standpoint, he can't not be dead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Incidentally I think both are deeply flawed people that are each working to improve themselves in their own ways without literally flicking a bullshit switch that changes Who They Fundamentally Are

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Explosion boys character Arc and self improvement are very slow and gradual changes make them feel way more human and real and fits better then Endeavors instant 180 and Bakus shown way more moments of legitimate growth and humanity even towards Deku since his be turning point.

Yes hes still loud and explosive and overly emotional but hes shown legit change in how he thinks of deku and you'd have to be willingly blind to it even say he hasnt changed orndoesnt respect deku more now. And it's not just because he knows all might picked deku it's because he knows deku works hard to live up to it (Hence giving him poo poo when he makes a mistep) and that they both feel some responsibility for the 'death' of their idol and bond over that and their mutual begrudging respect. That was the entire point of the night time slap fight.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I just don't get how you gloss over him being a violent and abusive rear end in a top hat for his entire life and his "subtle" changes amounting to still being a violent and abusive rear end in a top hat. The problem isn't even just that he's a piece of poo poo 90% of the time, it's that all the characters around him treat him like he's a great guy when he's not and it sours every serious situation he's in. His most consistent best moments are when he's played off for laughs because serious discourse with him is often laden with abusive language that we just have to gloss over.

When your self improvement on giving everyone poo poo for being poo poo compared to you continues to be giving people poo poo, but with slightly better intentions because All Might told you so then I don't know. He's still loving awful. And everyone being tolerant of him is an eyeroll. Heck, you're doing it right now. "Slap fight" -- yeah, totally that's what that was. Not him taking out his insecurities violently like he always does!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh good the discourse continues.

I hope we get a list of all the heroes who died after this ends

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It’s true he hasn’t apologised to Izuku, and I suspect he never will apologise for his actions. If only because I imagine he himself would never want an apology, just for the person who is sorry to show improvement/change. Also almost nobody lets him get away with being an rear end in a top hat, they never just accept it. At worst they ignore it or just steamroll over it in the case of Kirishima.

Heck Kirishima is literally the only person other than Izuku who seems to think Bakugo is a great guy, the rest respect his skills/powers, but only Kirishima calls him anything positive. Which Kirishima seems capable of seeing the best of anyone given half the chance, the kid exudes desires for brotherhood and positive thinking from every hardened pore.

Also whilst it isn’t confirmed I always thought the kid Bakugo gave advice too, the ringleader, was meant to be quirkless. Hence all the other talents his parents pushed him through. Especially in the context of who Bakugo was to Izuku compared to this kid.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 31, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh good the discourse continues.

I hope we get a list of all the heroes who died after this ends

Between deaths injuries and captures I'm gonna say the List will just be: All.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I just don't get how you gloss over him being a violent and abusive rear end in a top hat for his entire life and his "subtle" changes amounting to still being a violent and abusive rear end in a top hat. The problem isn't even just that he's a piece of poo poo 90% of the time, it's that all the characters around him treat him like he's a great guy when he's not and it sours every serious situation he's in. His most consistent best moments are when he's played off for laughs because serious discourse with him is often laden with abusive language that we just have to gloss over.

When your self improvement on giving everyone poo poo for being poo poo compared to you continues to be giving people poo poo, but with slightly better intentions because All Might told you so then I don't know. He's still loving awful. And everyone being tolerant of him is an eyeroll. Heck, you're doing it right now. "Slap fight" -- yeah, totally that's what that was. Not him taking out his insecurities violently like he always does!

Bakugou is like Tony Stark: Yeah, he's an rear end in a top hat, but he's undeniably skilled and talented and really good at this (read: being a hero)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Good hero, lovely person

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Give Tokoyami his own series complete with him talking in ridiculous purple prose about the night and darkness constantly. Even at midday and he's having to wear shades.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi said in interviews about the last movie that it included a lot of elements he originally wanted to put in the manga's ending- one of which was Bakugou and Midoriya sharing One For All for a final attack. In another part the interviewer asked about his relationship with Bakugou and Horikoshi said something to the effect that the arc of their relationship wasn't finished yet- and that one thing that hasn't happened yet was Bakugou properly apologizing to Midoriya for everything he has done.

So, that's almost certainly happening at some point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Junpei posted:

Bakugou is like Tony Stark: Yeah, he's an rear end in a top hat, but he's undeniably skilled and talented and really good at this (read: being a hero)

Yes. He's definitely very good at superpowers and rescuing people and fighting other people with superpowers. Can't take that away from him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

Give Tokoyami his own series complete with him talking in ridiculous purple prose about the night and darkness constantly. Even at midday and he's having to wear shades.

He is absolutely the kind of person to wear sunglasses in the middle of the night, isn't he

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

PMush Perfect posted:

Deku: 45%, and some absolutely incredible showing as a hero, including rescuing an entire loving bus, and even more people.
Toga: Gearing up to have a big moment, and probably kill a LOT of heroes
Shigaraki: Full completing his transformation into the new Symbol of Evil.
Bakugo: Shows up in one panel saving a child

Thread: BAKUGO DISCOURSE

lmao yessssss

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

He is absolutely the kind of person to wear sunglasses in the middle of the night, isn't he

He'd need some specially made for his head.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SKULL.GIF posted:

Official translation is out for these who were waiting, and for these who were confused by the scanlation. https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-273/chapter/20655?action=read

A bunch of wording and phrasing has changed from the scanlation --

pixie-bob can never be done for as long as she lives in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

make the series about mina already CHRIST

Now this is discourse I can get behind.