Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Q: How would you define somebody who smashes in the window of a television store and takes what he wants?

JAMES BALDWIN in 1968: Before I get to that, how would you define somebody who puts a cat where he is and takes all the money out of the ghetto where he makes it? Who is looting whom? Grabbing off the TV set? He doesn't really want the TV set. He's saying screw you. It's just judgment, by the way, on the value of the TV set. He doesn't want it. He wants to let you know he's there. The question I'm trying to raise is a very serious question. The mass media-television and all the major news agencies-endlessly use that word "looter." On television you always see black hands reaching in, you know. And so the American public concludes that these savages are trying to steal everything from us, And no one has seriously tried to get where the trouble is. After all, you're accusing a captive population who has been robbed of everything of looting. I think it's obscene.

Hey, thanks for this, now I'm reading up on James Baldwin because it's too easy to never hear of people like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey, thanks for this, now I'm reading up on James Baldwin because it's too easy to never hear of people like that.

Watch the film I am not your negro, it's very intense

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
ample video evidence of peaceful protests getting shot with bullets and tear gas, but

OneEightHundred posted:

This is probably overcomplicating it, but bottom line is, I think it's completely correct to view the rioting as something that makes things worse rather than better, and needs to stop. As long as it continues, it allows the story to shift from cops being indefensibly violent to doing what's necessary to stop the rioting.

the easiest way to stop riots would be to stop murdering innocent black people, pal

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

greazeball posted:

Watch the film I am not your negro, it's very intense

Also thanks. Like I posted in the USPOL thread, it feels incredible to me that although I've known that the societal forces behind the conflict of the Civil Rights movement never substantially changed, that the country didn't learn; seeing it all laid out again, with social media to bare everything at once, is daunting. Trying to understand the whys of our corrupt system well enough to formulate a how to change things feels like trying to grasp the depth of a stupid ocean when I can't even see past the reactionary fart huffing horizon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

Don't say "the murder of innocent black people by police is terrible, but the property damage has to stop", say instead "the property damage is terrible, but the murder of innocent black people by police has to stop."

Otherwise you're putting property ahead of the lives of people whose ancestors were property.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

The protestors could've burned the cities to the ground and still kept the moral high ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJRJAXolk4
I mean yeah I'd prefer buildings not get burned. Except the precinct buildings at least because the cops are still utter fuckers. I care more about people than I do property. Property can be cleaned and rebuilt. You can't bring back a person.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Is there somewhere we can donate to have rioters bussed en masse up to the Hamptons and Aspen? that ski village? so that the rich wankers are the ones getting their poo poo wrecked?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've generally just settled on countering complaints about rioting and looting with something along the lines of "those things are bad but the system is already addressing them and always has, but why aren't we more concerned about the constant police abuse we see every day which is the entire point of this anger and protest and the cops keep proving it right every day?"

At that point the conversation tends to either reach a natural end or the other person says something really racist and I feel comfortable telling them to "gently caress off" and peacing out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OneEightHundred posted:

Problem I have is two things: a.) Mass destruction (especially arson) creates injustices of its own. It will bring a lot of suffering to a lot of people that don't deserve it, with long-lasting downstream effects, and it'll be a lot worse than "oh boo hoo Target lost some TVs, the insurance will cover it." (Even insured businesses can just take the money and stay closed or leave town.)

b.) While city/state governments might meet demands, the admin doesn't want peace and isn't going to capitulate to get it. They want more violence so they can put it down, they're almost certainly willing to go to more extreme ends, and so are the heavily-armed Trump cult vigilantes.

More like from past experiences with commercial and residential building fires, and various other experiences with how rebuilding just doesn't happen. Most property that gets destroyed or abandoned stays that way for many years, sometimes decades, and with the pandemic ongoing, it will be even worse. Also been reading some first-hand accounts by regular people from this current event, like one that had to start a GoFundMe because rioters just destroyed the store they worked at, and they can't collect unemployment.

None of it is doing anything to address the actual problem or take it to the people responsible.

The other issue is that, regardless of how noble your cause is, riots attract destructive sociopaths that care a lot less and break/steal a lot more.

This is probably overcomplicating it, but bottom line is, I think it's completely correct to view the rioting as something that makes things worse rather than better, and needs to stop. As long as it continues, it allows the story to shift from cops being indefensibly violent to doing what's necessary to stop the rioting.

Maybe we should kneel during the anthem or raise a gloved fist at the Olympics? Resist the draft by going court and fighting it there, getting stripped of our heavyweight title and boxing license? Maybe we could be a minister, march peacefully through the street get a bullet in the head for our efforts.

Just spit balling here.

Also, gonna cross post this here because I heard this fable on the radio today (not political AM talk. Sports radio)

Conservatives will look at this, and what AM RWM radio teaches, is "gently caress all those people for not paying for a ticket to watch the game" and immediately vote to take away all the boxes. Neo-liberals will focus on the uneven distribution of boxes. If the tall or middle sized person is a MAGA, they'll bitch about the short kid having TWO boxes.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
And Libertarianism has one dude standing on all three boxes, pissing down on the other two from a great height.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I support the protestors destroying whatever property they drat well please. Non-violent protests only work when the alternative is non-non-violent protest. Malcolm X scared the liberals into supporting MLK.

We need a Malcolm X now.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

I support the protestors destroying whatever property they drat well please. Non-violent protests only work when the alternative is non-non-violent protest. Malcolm X scared the liberals into supporting MLK.

We need a Malcolm X now.

When you keep killing all the MLKs, the only thing left is Malcom X.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Tashilicious posted:

Well presumably they're aiming for John Lewis types to fill all the "civil rights leader" slots in society.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
O.k. I've been convinced the 'rioting makes things worse', I'll call the BLM/Antifa headquarters and let them know to knock it off.......

The racist US police state is the cause of the riots
If you think the riots are bad, then the only thing you should be focused on is ending the racist US police state.

They are not seperate issues, there is a direct causal relationship.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

I mean, I think we've been killing all of them

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

I mean, I think we've been killing all of them

13TH, which is a good documentary, has a whole section about leaders of the black liberation movement being arrested on trumped up charges, exiled, or straight up murdered in their beds by the police.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Crumbskull posted:

O.k. I've been convinced the 'rioting makes things worse', I'll call the BLM/Antifa headquarters and let them know to knock it off.......

The racist US police state is the cause of the riots
If you think the riots are bad, then the only thing you should be focused on is ending the racist US police state.

They are not seperate issues, there is a direct causal relationship.

libs are too used to being able to harangue some poor manager when they disapprove of something, they think they can scold unplanned spontaneous violence among a population away

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weatherman posted:

And Libertarianism has one dude standing on all three boxes, pissing down on the other two from a great height.

More like kidnapping the one on the right.

Also a shrine of right-wing media has passed: https://twitter.com/l33tguy/status/1268075936655609856?s=21

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Munin posted:

13TH, which is a good documentary, has a whole section about leaders of the black liberation movement being arrested on trumped up charges, exiled, or straight up murdered in their beds by the police.

There's a movie or a show on Netflix that covered what happened to Fred Hampton and it was just a planned execution by the police & FBI who set it up by arresting and terrorizing his pregnant fiancee to force her to cooperate by drugging him out of his mind and then they killed him while he was passed out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tesseraction posted:

More like kidnapping the one on the right.

Also a shrine of right-wing media has passed: https://twitter.com/l33tguy/status/1268075936655609856?s=21
Feels like a lot of these guys have been dying recently. Jack Chick died a couple of years ago and Rush will probably die this year as well. Too bad their ideology will never die out though. I was just listening to the Behind the Bastards episodes about American Nazi Party founder George Lincoln Rockwell, and he is basically the grandfather of the current alt-right. He invented the whole ‘White Power’ slogan and is the original ‘Debate me coward!’ guy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1266767303141732352

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Weatherman posted:

Is there somewhere we can donate to have rioters bussed en masse up to the Hamptons and Aspen? that ski village? so that the rich wankers are the ones getting their poo poo wrecked?

OUTSIDE AGITATORS!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Feels like a lot of these guys have been dying recently. Jack Chick died a couple of years ago and Rush will probably die this year as well. Too bad their ideology will never die out though. I was just listening to the Behind the Bastards episodes about American Nazi Party founder George Lincoln Rockwell, and he is basically the grandfather of the current alt-right. He invented the whole ‘White Power’ slogan and is the original ‘Debate me coward!’ guy

On the plus side he was shot dead by an ex-party-member-turned-leftist.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Kneeling in silence is somehow still a step too far. The Bors cartoon is correct.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

On the plus side he was shot dead by an ex-party-member-turned-leftist.
Yes that was satisfying. He also died broke and mostly discredited at that point

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Weatherman posted:

Why do you have to put the flag—I'm sorry, the ⭐️⭐️⭐️FLAG™⭐️⭐️⭐️—on subway cars in New York?

The missus and I were watching Mr Robot last night and saw that and thought hold on, that's just weird. Do you forget which country you're in if there's no handy graphic there to remind you or something?

Considering the dichotomy between America-as-perceived and America-as-experienced you might be onto something there.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Weatherman posted:

Why do you have to put the flag—I'm sorry, the ⭐️⭐️⭐️FLAG™⭐️⭐️⭐️—on subway cars in New York?

The missus and I were watching Mr Robot last night and saw that and thought hold on, that's just weird. Do you forget which country you're in if there's no handy graphic there to remind you or something?

I think it's an attempt to dissuade people from defacing the cars, there used to be a fuckton of graffiti on them years ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And they looked way better that way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1268245117586092032?s=21

Really trying to imagine being married to that shithead

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1268245117586092032?s=21

Really trying to imagine being married to that shithead

Did she finally find out about his trips to the Bunny Ranch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If you read the article its actually clear that they've been completely separated for four years and he's just lied to maintain his conservative credibility (and probably cover up some poo poo since four years conveniently puts the dissolution of their marriage smack dab in the middle of the Roger Ailes/Bill O'Reilly/Fox News sexpest shitstorm).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Y'all are repeating the false line that protesters arn't responsible for *any* of the incidents of looting and arson cuz at some level you know it does play into the moral calculus, or more specifically the perception thereof.

And the perception thereof seems pretty important here in the Right Wing Media thread. The cops push things towards and initiate violence for a reason: they usually win on violent narratives.

The fact is at least of the protests I’ve seen first hand and the looting my family dealt with in SoCal (small business owners:allears:), all the organized groups like BLM have been as good as they reasonably can about telling and chasing off people who try to instigate with the police, smash windows or loot stuff. Most of the people I saw spray painting and window breaking were either lone or pairs off by themselves away from the crowd and the serious looting (according to my family) seems to be planned by people who have nothing do with the protest using as cover, driving up vans and stuff and basically executing what seem to be clearly pre planned heists.

Regardless even the looters have generally shown a hell of a lot more restraint then the cops.

The other towns near me so far have had almost no looting because the cops did a bunch of stuff there like meet with and march alongside the crowd, my neighborhood on the other had the most property destruction because the cops just corralled everyone in a few blocks with riot lines, fired gas and sprayed OC and demanded everyone to disperse, and failed to protect the crowd from proud boy dipshits driving around in lovely lifted microdick trucks swerving at the crowd. The dude came screaming at like 50 mph a couple feet away from me still hasn’t been charged with anything even though the local news id him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
definitely him being a good christian family man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I usually don't have to try too hard or go out of my way to know what RWM is feeding the masses, which is sort of nice so I don't have to subject myself to Hannity or Limbaugh's dumb ugly voices or faces. But, as the author of this thread, I sometimes feel like I have to take a peek at least.

But I just go to the shipping department at my job.

They're like the King of the Hill guys - low on brains and strong on opinions - but I can always tell what it is they're hearing. Today, I engaged a little and, for a moment, thought we'd hit on some common ground regarding the piles of bricks being left out and that the responsibility for the violence isn't entirely on protesters. I brought up the video of the cop spray painting a building with "BLM" and "FTP" who stopped to take direction from the 2 adjacent police care (srory, can't find the link now). But, apparently, one particular palette of bricks in Tampa was traced back to a company that's run by a staunch democrat who contributes a lot to the party and somehow linked to a company we do business with, according to this one person.

I doubt it.

I didn't ask for a citation (but I should have and might tomorrow) because I already know it's from FB, Breitbart or FOX. It was weird because the one guy I was talking to has no love for cops and seemed on board with the idea of watching live feeds. Honestly thought I was making headway.

My company is, as far as I can tell, 75 or 80% republican and the higher ups are 100%. I know because they assume it since I'm white and feel they can talk freely. I used to run my mouth a lot when I FIRST worked for them 10 or 15 years ago but now I pick my spots and since we have a lot of newer faces they don't all know I'm the loony liberal guy. My boss does but he seems to enjoy debating with me and doesn't seem to hold it against me. We employ maybe 50 people and exactly two of them are black. One is Puerto Rican, one is Indian and a few are like Slovakian or something. I'm friendly with everyone to the extent that I can be.

Anyhow...that's today anecdotal take on the state of things from the ground listening to people who I KNOW for a fact consume nothing but RWM.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Y'all are repeating the false line that protesters arn't responsible for *any* of the incidents of looting and arson cuz at some level you know it does play into the moral calculus, or more specifically the perception thereof.

And the perception thereof seems pretty important here in the Right Wing Media thread. The cops push things towards and initiate violence for a reason: they usually win on violent narratives.

This is not a good hill to die on. You are doing the equivalent of defending people who claim "All life matters". It doesn't matter that looting is bad, nobody needs to be told that, everyone knows it already. But 99% of the people putting focus on the looting it are doing it explicitly with the intent of discrediting the protests in general. The remaining genuine 1% are not contributing anything to the conversation beyond validating what these assholes are doing, and are basically complicit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aramis posted:

This is not a good hill to die on. You are doing the equivalent of defending people who claim "All life matters". It doesn't matter that looting is bad, nobody needs to be told that, everyone knows it already. But 99% of the people putting focus on the looting it are doing it explicitly with the intent of discrediting the protests in general. The remaining genuine 1% are not contributing anything to the conversation beyond validating what these assholes are doing, and are basically complicit.

Also, no one has said that.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_F-8lfuik

Punchable stills.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I listened to a little of Glenn Beck today and it made me pretty upset. Not like, filled with rage, but he had a woman named Laura Hogan on who apparently used to work for CBS or something, and brought her on specifically so she could talk about how Antifa and the communists are feeling cornered and are using the protests to destroy Christianity and baseball and mom and apple pie. I'm upset because I know Beck is a grifter, he probably believes very little of what he says, but I feel like she's probably a true believer and he's just giving her a platform to spread these lies. Even if his audience is smaller than it was during his prime, it's still depressing he has an audience at all.

e: Scott Adams has figured it all out, guys. The protests are happening because people saw the move Joker and it is mind controlling them.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1268293711789604865

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 4, 2020

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Beck is one of the notable transition points from conmen to flavoraiddrinkers, he believes in his own poo poo. He would have never left FN's money whitehole for his own money black hole TheBlaze if he wasnt a true believer. (and a giant dumbass / diva with a massive ego)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Prepare for the hot takes of Mattis not being a Real Patriot.