Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elblanco posted:

So I'm building a MG Barbatos right now and it loving rules so far. I'd like to get another MG when I'm done but I don't really know how to judge if the kit would be good or not. Any suggestions or things to look out for?

A general rule of thumb is that kits from 2005 and earlier tend to be less good than more modern kits. Some recommended ones:

Zaku II 2.0
Turn A
Turn X
Origins Gundam
GM Sniper II
Jesta
Ball Ver Ka

A lot depends on what you want out of a kit, of course, and the Barbatos's engineering is exceptional, but those should be fun builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Elblanco posted:

So I'm building a MG Barbatos right now and it loving rules so far. I'd like to get another MG when I'm done but I don't really know how to judge if the kit would be good or not. Any suggestions or things to look out for?

If you like specific robot designs, look up a review of the MG kit on YouTube. It will show off all the range of motion and give you a good sense of the default looks.

If you don’t have any particular design you like, nearly any MG from the last 10 years will be decent. HobbySearch https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/list/678/0/1 and other sites have pretty comprehensive lists with pictures.

When you go back to the early 2000s era you get into screws and limited mobility problems. I still enjoyed building an MG Dunbine from that era though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Newer is usually better though some new releases reuse older molds. Tell us what you're considering and we can probably help more.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

It's not a fancy kitbash, but I'm working on the two Astaroths built so each is symmetrical. It definitely felt like Bandai intended people to do this based off how easy it was.

Droyer posted:

Please do not make fun of my hosed-up gremlin hand

I uhhh, honestly thought that was a perspective thing. Really sorry about that. I didn't mean to be a dick.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Elblanco posted:

The Strike Freedom 2.0 is a really amazing kit.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

d3lness posted:

I uhhh, honestly thought that was a perspective thing. Really sorry about that. I didn't mean to be a dick.

Sorry to be clear it was a joke lol. My hands are fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

The Strike Freedom 2.0 is a really amazing kit.

Freedom 2.0, so far there is not a Strike Freedom 2.0.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Droyer posted:

Sorry to be clear it was a joke lol. My hands are fine.

God damnit.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Elblanco posted:

mg sazabi ver ka is amazing, it looks so good lol

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

Newer is usually better though some new releases reuse older molds. Tell us what you're considering and we can probably help more.

I haven't watched a ton of Gundam shows, the main ones ive enjoyed recently are build fighters and divers, and as a kid the only series I could understand was G gundam. So far I've just grabbed stuff i like the look of when looking around. Though most of the G gundam stuff I can find seems pretty old. Some others that I liked are stuff from 00 Gundam and Gundam Wing though.

I'll dig around youtube for some review channels too, thanks for the help guys!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elblanco posted:

I haven't watched a ton of Gundam shows, the main ones ive enjoyed recently are build fighters and divers, and as a kid the only series I could understand was G gundam. So far I've just grabbed stuff i like the look of when looking around. Though most of the G gundam stuff I can find seems pretty old. Some others that I liked are stuff from 00 Gundam and Gundam Wing though.

I also recommend dalong as a resource. The reviews are in Korean, but there's English indexes available, and a lot of pictures for almost every wide release kit.

The newest G kit in the MG size range is the High Resolution Model. Good, but expensive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Most of the G kits are pretty old though the Spiegel is several years newer. The 00 MGs are all pretty decent, especially the recently released Dynames. The Build MGs are mostly okay though the Build Mk II uses the Mk II molds so it may disappoint. The Wing MGs are mostly okay except for the Wing Zero EW (wait for the upcoming ver Ka), though the Wing ver Ka and Wing EW have some problems holding up the huge gun. Wing TV version is much more solid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't realize they were releasing a Zaku 2 revive this year. It looks pretty.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Nice! How is it? How are the joints and all that jazz that are things that will make me want to buy it even more than I already do.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Nice! How is it? How are the joints and all that jazz that are things that will make me want to buy it even more than I already do.

The joints are really nice, it's got ratchets that you'll feel into your toes. I didn't show it off super well but it's got absolutely beautiful blue lightpiping in the head. Also it's super compatible with the other waruder figures, way more than I thought it would be. The only real problem is that swivels on the arms are one of the few things that aren't ratcheted, and the sword is so heavy if it's at too steep of an angle that warudaros can't hold it up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the new Beyond Global RX-78 has a striking revelation:

https://twitter.com/yukimaru0131/status/1268741962284150785

n o p o l y c a p s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

So the new Beyond Global RX-78 has a striking revelation:

https://twitter.com/yukimaru0131/status/1268741962284150785

n o p o l y c a p s

I thought they learned this lesson once already with the 00 line and the FLAG's :sigh:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought they learned this lesson once already with the 00 line and the FLAG's :sigh:.

Ever built the MG Turn A?

There's plenty of no polycap builds that aren't floppy messes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Moai Ou posted:

Believe it or not, but the elbows do have (slight) articulation. It's a little stiff and there's not a huge degree of movement, but it's there. I don't have the instructions handy but I believe it's pointed out in there.

Then that's an even more impressive molding job.

And so they do move. Dangit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elblanco posted:

Right? Holy poo poo the way they encased the ball joints on rails was really clever.

I’ve done the Strike 2.0 and that was a ton of fun in a completely different way than the Barbatos was. I think my next MG will be Dynames, it looks great and the reviews basically put it at the level of Barbatos in terms of quality.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

A lot of new kits don't have polycaps, they have this softer grey PS plastic they use for joints that you can paint

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you haven't done it yet, RG Nu Gundam is basically a MG in all but name.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/yukimaru0131/status/1268788693977845761

Oh man, so many new poses you can do now

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

d3lness posted:

It's not a fancy kitbash, but I'm working on the two Astaroths built so each is symmetrical. It definitely felt like Bandai intended people to do this based off how easy it was.

I did the same thing, except I sawed the pointy crotch off one of them

just need to paint the chest and the feet white on the sleek version. I think they look better that way anyway.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

DoubleDonut posted:

Anyone know if those HG Sakura Wars kits are any good?

I've got one of the Kobu Kais and since Anastasia's Mugen just came up, I'm gonna get that as soon as I can with the hopes that it convinces Bandai to make an Oubu.

The Kobus are 1/20 scale I think, and they have a pilot figure in scale, so I painted that and the cockpit for future use. The cockpit can be displayed open, and it's big enough that you might wanna consider that even if you hate cockpits. The cockpit parts are seamless.

The plastic has a slight pearly tone and the instructions recommend painting a gloss pearlescent white over it to up the look. In my experience, painting pearlescent over white (via Mr. Crystal Color) was a very, very subtle sheen and I'm not sure how it would work over pink.

The gold parts are the same awful curry-yellow gold color that was used on the HG Hyaku Shiki Revive, they will definitely require painting to look okay. Probably Gundam Marker or paint marker if you'd rather not paint or airbrush.

I might do the Kobu after I finish up my current projects. The new game has left an odd taste in my mouth so far and it's got me hearkening back a bit. It's definitely way more in-your-face with the relationships than So Long, My Love was. Not much subtlety.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Mephiston posted:

I did the same thing, except I sawed the pointy crotch off one of them

just need to paint the chest and the feet white on the sleek version. I think they look better that way anyway.

I thought about it, but gently caress painting white and gently caress trying to match that shade exactly. I just put some extra effort in with my metallic paint pens to help them look less flat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this posability is absolutely wild

https://twitter.com/hisuiXtreme/status/1269109164543840257

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, how much is that going to be?

are those fingers in the first shot articulated, or just look it and they're the typical solid piece? what are the smallets multijointed finger hands gunpla have had before? the only one I have with individually jointed fingers is the PG RX-78.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

are those fingers in the first shot articulated, or just look it and they're the typical solid piece? what are the smallets multijointed finger hands gunpla have had before? the only one I have with individually jointed fingers is the PG RX-78.

They look to be just the standard Hold-Gun, Fist, and Fingers-spread hands :shrug:.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Is that the new EG Kit that was listed a page or two ago?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mephiston posted:

Is that the new EG Kit that was listed a page or two ago?

It's the HG Beyond Global that came out today.

Captain Invictus posted:

2,200 yen, so a little on the high side for a basic HG but as you can see this is no basic HG.

Any MG with the "Emotion Manipulators" has PG style hands.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can't look at the MG Freedom 2.0 without remembering how a goon described the shoulder plasma cannons as looking like dog dicks.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scribing is a fun adventure.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metrofreak posted:

Scribing is a fun adventure.

I tried this the other night and I could not get a straight loving line for the goddamn life of me, jesus christ. Am I hopeless?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Avalanche Exia?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Taintrunner posted:

I tried this the other night and I could not get a straight loving line for the goddamn life of me, jesus christ. Am I hopeless?

Maybe but a lot of people use guide tape or even just getting a ruler and securing attaching/firmly holding it in place.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Argas posted:

Maybe but a lot of people use guide tape or even just getting a ruler and securing attaching/firmly holding it in place.

One thing that just came to mind is that while scribed panels are generally going to be left/right symmetric, there's no reason why that has to be the case in every situation. Especially when you're looking for realism. I work for a large manufacturing company, and if you look over the large machines carefully you'll spot this all over the place. Oftentimes it's just because they stuck a tank in one area, an exhaust in another or they have the cargo door or maitenence hatch only on one side.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zedd posted:

Avalanche Exia?

That's the one, good eye.
Kind of hate it in the end, hand grenade, too heavy for its base adapter, and the bulk looks cool but destroys its range of motion. Gonna fix him up and make him t pose menacingly and never touch him again.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Metrofreak posted:

That's the one, good eye.
Kind of hate it in the end, hand grenade, too heavy for its base adapter, and the bulk looks cool but destroys its range of motion. Gonna fix him up and make him t pose menacingly and never touch him again.

I...uh, never really watched Gundam 00 beyond the first episode...

Are...

are those beam sabers coming out of its feet

EDIT: Wait no it is the things it is standing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I...uh, never really watched Gundam 00 beyond the first episode...

Are...

are those beam sabers coming out of its feet

EDIT: Wait no it is the things it is standing on.

That version of the Exia doesn’t appear in the show, it’s an MSV or side story or something.