Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sirotan posted:

Tool chat: owners of reciprocating saws, how often do you actually use them? I want to pick up a new cordless drill and I can either pick up the drill only, drill with a couple batteries, or the drill in a combo with a reciprocating saw which would save me ~$80 off buying the saw separately. There is some demo in the future where I could probably use one, or I could also just borrow my mom's...
They are great for demo/remodeling and sometimes cutting metal stuff roughly to length, but I don't use mine a ton more than that. They are also good for fixing fuckups when they are bad enough to fall into the 'demo' category.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I ordered these cabinet soft-close mechanisms (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H4CV97/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and now that I'm getting around to installing them, I'm finding that they've got too much tension even at the lowest setting to allow the door to close without pushing it shut. I tried mounting them both as close to the hinge as I could get, and also further along the door. Any ideas on how to adjust them so that they don't have quite as much force?

I've been mounting them so that the face of the mechanism is flush with the back of the door, which is what you're supposed to do, but I guess I could set them back a few millimeters into the cabinet. That might be enough. It would require me sanding the lip of the mechanism though.
Most of those are meant to be used with self closing Euro hinges that have a spring in them that pulls the door closed. Are you using them with that, or with normal hinges? You can always just move the soft close thing back further so it just barely sticks out in front of the face frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are great for demo/remodeling and sometimes cutting metal stuff roughly to length, but I don't use mine a ton more than that. They are also good for fixing fuckups when they are bad enough to fall into the 'demo' category.

And if you have an actual yard that you are maintaining they are freaking great with a pruning blade. Of if you are doing work that required cutting small amount of metal (pipes, etc) with the right blade.

So how you can use them is very situation specific. But in the right context they are very useful, not just for demo work.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

And if you have an actual yard that you are maintaining they are freaking great with a pruning blade. Of if you are doing work that required cutting small amount of metal (pipes, etc) with the right blade.

So how you can use them is very situation specific. But in the right context they are very useful, not just for demo work.

It is actually the one tool I really wish I had a cordless version of and that's probably why I don't use it as much as I might. My bigass, corded 13 amp, still made in USA, elbow breaking SuperSawzall just ain't that portable.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Dave posted:

Just refied down from a 30 year at 4.8 to a 15 year 3.1 and will ultimately save $30k. Just opened a bottle of red.

gently caress yes this owns :3

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Dave posted:

Just refied down from a 30 year at 4.8 to a 15 year 3.1 and will ultimately save $30k. Just opened a bottle of red.

Curious what 30 year rate were and if you considered that but over paying monthly regardless?

Everytime I've considered 15 it seemed like close enough that aggressively paying down a 30 seemed safer in case the poo poo hit the fan.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We honestly didn’t even look into it because with both our old and new were paying extra and if something happened where we needed to save we can cut down our monthly payments.

We have a pretty good safety net now and if like absolute disaster happened we could borrow what’s left on the principal from family so we went for the lowest rate.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I was going to go into the attic this morning to finish my cable pulling to the top floor but it was 8am and the dew point was already 80. :supaburn:

I guess I’ll just work on the basement or replace my HVAC caps.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Defo get a cordless demo saw, get metal, wood and pruning blades.

E: when we were having unusually high winds I carried mine with the pruning blades in the boot of the car, saved me scraping the car up or having to drag whole rear end trees out of the road a few times.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am having an issue with sort of sticky hardwood floors from cleaning product residue. The stuff we currently have all would contribute to the issue. So I've been considering one of those steam mops. Anyone have any experience with them, especially on hardwood floors?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh I’d consider an oscillating tool more useful around the home

The sawzall was handy for tree branches and will help me do some demo work once I get around to hiring an engineer

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

joepinetree posted:

I am having an issue with sort of sticky hardwood floors from cleaning product residue. The stuff we currently have all would contribute to the issue. So I've been considering one of those steam mops. Anyone have any experience with them, especially on hardwood floors?

I have used one on tile. They seem effective enough, though since you're not able to dunk it in water to clean it off, you can only cover so much ground because you need to machine wash the covers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Our cheap steam mop came with about 5 covers so you can actually cover quite a bit of square footage.
It does a reasonable job in a pinch, however an old fashioned mop and bucket does a better job overall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Our cheap steam mop came with about 5 covers so you can actually cover quite a bit of square footage.
It does a reasonable job in a pinch, however an old fashioned mop and bucket does a better job overall.

Yeah mine did come with more than one, but I think the combination of large area of tile plus high traffic area means they get overwhelmed. I do use it for the bathrooms though.

The main failing point in my use case is that you can refresh a mop & bucket in seconds so long as you have hot water, whereas the covers need washing which means (potentially) stopping half way through.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My main thing is getting rid of stickiness from the residue of cleaning agents, and my understanding is that a steam mop can help lift that residue a bit more easily, which is why I am considering it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

joepinetree posted:

My main thing is getting rid of stickiness from the residue of cleaning agents, and my understanding is that a steam mop can help lift that residue a bit more easily, which is why I am considering it.

Yeah if you have a special need where you think it'll help, seems sensible. It won't be useless afterwards.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to apply steam to hardwood floors. Maybe as a one time thing but over time isn't hot water going to be bad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tater_salad posted:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that you don't want to apply steam to hardwood floors. Maybe as a one time thing but over time isn't hot water going to be bad.

That was more the part of my question i was interested in. Some places say it's safe to use, others say don't use it, instead use water and vinegar for residue, which other places then say not to use on hardwood floors. I just want to get rid of this residue, and one site's method is another site's "don't do it"

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
My hardwood floor had a bad sticky buildup from years of the previous owner using various ‘mop and glo’ products. I ended up finding out that windex does a hell of a job of stripping this wax off the surface of the poly with minimal issue. Just spray, let it sit for a few minutes, agitate and then wipe off with a towel. I then follow up cleaning with some bona. You need to use to floor scrubber of some sort, like an orbiter or one of the smaller variants. Or a stiff brush on your hands and knees if you really hate yourself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some windy weather today, but on the plus side now I can oil in the top of the swing without a ladder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow....that's not a lot of surface area for the wind to catch. That must have been quite a gust at exactly the perfect angle.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Basically a storm, really surprised no trees fell over. 17,000 homes without power earlier today further in country, we kept having temporary blackouts as well. I guess the wind caught the seat at the right angle and it turned into a mini-parachute.

And I spent the day smoking a pork butt since 7am in this drat weather.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
That design looks inherently top-heavy to my eyes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The problem with swinging benches like that is that so much of the weight is in the bench and it catches the wind. It can cause the bench to swing back and forth quite a bit in a storm and if a gust hits it at the right time with the bench at it's climax, the whole thing tips over.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh good! My Frigidaire over-stove Microwave and Exhaust Fan of Sadness has been acting up. Just enough to make you question your sanity by like, missing button presses, or repeating them, that sort of thing. Tonight while in the kitchen, but having not touched the unit in over an hour, it kicked on! Loud like the magnetron was cooking. :supaburn: The display showed the clock time, was not counting down, and didn't respond to "cancel." I carefully opened the door just enough to engage the interlock and it shut off. I closed it and it didn't turn back on, but it's now unplugged.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/Product-Support--Manuals/?productCode=FGMV175QF - June-2014 manufacture date.

Any suggestions on what to replace this stupid thing with? We don't have anywhere else to stick the microwave sadly, and do want to keep it as an exhaust hood despite how lovely it is. I will spend largely any amount of money.

Key features: Must be able to disable all sound. Exhaust to the outside. Microwaving is also nice but not beeping is key.

Specs from the website say:
Cut-Out Width: 30"
Cut-Out Depth (Min): 12"
Cut-Out Depth (Max.): 14"
Cut-Out Height: N/A
Cut-Out Height (Min): 16-3/4"
Cut-Out Height (Max): 17"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SpartanIvy posted:

The problem with swinging benches like that is that so much of the weight is in the bench and it catches the wind. It can cause the bench to swing back and forth quite a bit in a storm and if a gust hits it at the right time with the bench at it's climax, the whole thing tips over.

Gonna have to anchor the thing into the ground

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I spent my afternoon continuing play structure construction

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

what happen

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

somebody set him up the snow

falz
Jan 29, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Oh good! My Frigidaire over-stove Microwave and Exhaust Fan of Sadness has been acting up. Just enough to make you question your sanity by like, missing button presses, or repeating them, that sort of thing. Tonight while in the kitchen, but having not touched the unit in over an hour, it kicked on! Loud like the magnetron was cooking. :supaburn: The display showed the clock time, was not counting down, and didn't respond to "cancel." I carefully opened the door just enough to engage the interlock and it shut off. I closed it and it didn't turn back on, but it's now unplugged.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Owner-Center/Product-Support--Manuals/?productCode=FGMV175QF - June-2014 manufacture date.

Any suggestions on what to replace this stupid thing with? We don't have anywhere else to stick the microwave sadly, and do want to keep it as an exhaust hood despite how lovely it is. I will spend largely any amount of money.

Key features: Must be able to disable all sound. Exhaust to the outside. Microwaving is also nice but not beeping is key.

Specs from the website say:
Cut-Out Width: 30"
Cut-Out Depth (Min): 12"
Cut-Out Depth (Max.): 14"
Cut-Out Height: N/A
Cut-Out Height (Min): 16-3/4"
Cut-Out Height (Max): 17"
Any time I'm in need of appliances i tend to buy a 1 month subscription to Consumer Reports and go to town. I'd guess those are all standard dimensions, they usually only come in two real sizes, a full size, like yours, and a slimmer one that's made for older (80s and older?) houses where the distance between stove top and hood fan was shorter, and a full sized microwave would hang too low.

So, measure the distance from your stove to the cabinet it would hang on and go from there.

Edit: ↓ good to know. CR can happily take my money though, I have no issue with that.

falz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 8, 2020

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

falz posted:

Any time I'm in need of appliances i tend to buy a 1 month subscription to Consumer Reports and go to town. I'd guess those are all standard dimensions, they usually only come in two real sizes, a full size, like yours, and a slimmer one that's made for older (80s and older?) houses where the distance between stove top and hood fan was shorter, and a full sized microwave would hang too low.

So, measure the distance from your stove to the cabinet it would hang on and go from there.

I do the same thing, using Consumer Reports, but check with your local library, we have free online access through our library.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

what happen

His Divine Shadow posted:

somebody set him up the snow

:golfclap:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Maybe this is more of a legal question but here goes.

We bought our house 2 years ago. On the back side of the property is a retaining wall that is owned by the neighbor to the back of our lot. The retaining wall goes a whole city block and is in pretty serious need of repair.

At this point a whole section of it has collapsed and is resting on our garage. Another part behind our garden trellis is just completely collapsed and spilling into our lot.

We havent really cared because our garage is junk and we've been focused on fixing up the house. My worry is that we wait to long to take action and the courts say we cant legally go after our neighbors to get it repaired.

We have had a survey done it is %100 the neighbors wall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's a really good question for your real estate attorney.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We havent really cared because our garage is junk and we've been focused on fixing up the house. My worry is that we wait to long to take action and the courts say we cant legally go after our neighbors to get it repaired.

To get the garage repaired of get the wall repaired?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The garage.

The concrete wall is leaning and resting up against the back of the garage.

I havent worried about it until now because the house is over 100 years old and has needed plenty of work thats taking up all of my money. The garage is the original horse carriage. It floods in the spring and the doors are wobbly and shot. Honestly the whole thing will need torn down at some point. But it at least keeps tools and the lawn mower dry during the year.

I dont want to spend money to fix it though only to have the neighbors retaining wall destroy it eventually.

EDIT: You cant make this poo poo up.

Used the county property lookup tool and the neighbor to the rear owns both lots behind mine. ALSO hes a real estate attorney according to Google.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Step 1: talk to neighbor? Don't just skip to lawyer up, that seems dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Step 1: talk to neighbor? Don't just skip to lawyer up, that seems dumb.

Not talking to a real estate attorney of your own to understand how this works and what you should or should not say before approaching a real estate attorney you have a grievance with seems dumb.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah always talk to a lawyer before you talk to a lawyer imo.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Sorry, but in no way would i cyberstalk the gently caress out of my neighbors to determine what profession they have, get a bunch of ammo and whatnot, before just saying "hi neighbor of two years, how are you? I'm good too. How about that 'rona! Oh, can we talk about this wall?"

Skipping a friendly "hello" and jumping right to an attorney ensures everyone will be using an attorney.

Imagine having a project you've been meaning to work on, maybe you're going to fix it up next year. In the meantime, a neighbor who moved in 2 years ago and never bothered to say hello sends a threatening legal letter thing telling you to do it. This would make me upset when I wouldn't have been over a conversation and maybe a beer.

falz fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

falz posted:

Sorry, but in no way would i cyberstalk the gently caress out of my neighbors to determine what profession they have, get a bunch of ammo and whatnot, before just saying "hi neighbor of two years, how are you? I'm good too. How about that 'rona! Oh, can we talk about this wall?"

Skipping a friendly "hello" and jumping right to an attorney ensures everyone will be using an attorney.

Imagine having a project you've been meaning to work on, maybe you're going to fix it up next year. In the meantime, a neighbor who moved in 2 years ago and never bothered to say hello sends a threatening legal letter thing telling you to do it. This would make me upset when I wouldn't have been over a conversation and maybe a beer.

You're overreacting. He's saying talk to a lawyer to be informed of what you can and can't ask for then go have the friendly chat. Not to actually threaten legal actions or send some letter. Being properly informed is the right move.