Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HG Eva box for scale.

Not as many runners as I would have expected, but lots of odd little bits and bobs in the box.

I also had a practical moment today. I got my blue-tac in and realized I needed some sticks about 4" long to blue-tac parts to. 10 minutes with a box of empty runners and I've got a couple of yards worth. That's right, hang on to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
OMG, finally caught up with the thread, after starting from the beginning in early May. :toot:
It was a good, often funny read and I have learned quite a bit, like for example what the gently caress Ver.Ka actually means. Also there are quite some talented builders here and I hope some of your stuff will make me better too.

Anyway... hi, thread, I picked up my first Gunpla last month after realizing that building & buying big space Lego models from my early childhood (you know, the kits your parents did not buy you as a kid) was immensely satisfying and put me in a zen like stance, was just not financially viable (build time to money ratio), nor was it an economical use of my apartment space. Despite never having watched Gundam Wing, as far as I can remember, my inner edge lord compelled me to pick up the MG Death Scythe EW as my first kit. Having built tons of tabletop plastic models in the last decades and many Zoids as a kid in the 80's, I went the MG route, as the HG and PG kits felt a little bit to tiny for me. Did not regret that choice and I will stick to MGs. Unsurprisingly, I was more reminded of the 80's Zoids kits than the Games Workshop and Privateer Pres oeuvre, which luckily was exactly what I was looking for. :)

I am currently working through the whole Wing team and really enjoy the models looking good without having to paint them. Although, I might touch up Heavy Arm's guns a little bit, once I am done with it.

All the people who said that the Wing is unable to hold its gun were not kidding; it's atrocious. The pose above is the best I could come up with and I am waiting for my action base 1 to ship from Japan to put it into a somewhat better one.
Speaking about the Bandai action bases, what the eff is their deal? Why are there so many different ones? Does anybody have some advice on which base to use for what or is it purely an aesthetic choice?

My next 11 kits are already ordered and I am looking forward to post my backlog then to be truly a part of this thread. :v:

Oh, and have watched Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try to get in the mood. It was the most anime I have watched in two decades. This was pretty much my reaction to it most of the time:

Well, thanks for reading my blog. I'll have the whopper menu, please.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Zaku Amazing is a pretty fuckin sweet Zaku if you can get it. Not sure if those are still in print.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

The Zaku Amazing is a pretty fuckin sweet Zaku if you can get it. Not sure if those are still in print.

Hard disagree. I've got the Zaku Amazing and it as a chunky brick of a kit. You need a stand just to even try getting it doing anything dynamic, and even then it can't hold its rifle well.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Diet Poison posted:

Looks like my LCBS got a small restock, so I'm going when I'm done work for the day. Ain't got time to check a bunch of reviews. So, if anyone has the experience: How is the MG Victory Ver Ka, RG Zeta, and/or RG Z'Gok? Those are the ones I'm interested in that I'd rather not spend the money on if they suck.
edit: They had other stuff they hadn't taken pics of, so I got RG Force Impulse instead. Which was on my "must buy" list.

The RG Z'Gok is really cool, but for the love of god glue the linky thigh/upper arm parts, they have a tendency to fly off. Other than that it's fantastic.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tarquinn posted:

Speaking about the Bandai action bases, what the eff is their deal? Why are there so many different ones? Does anybody have some advice on which base to use for what or is it purely an aesthetic choice?

This breaks it down: https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Action_Base

But basically Action Bases 1 and 4 can hold MGs, 2, 3 and 5 can't. 4 and 5 are just better versions of 1 and 2, while 3 lets you stick a picture in the base if you want.

edit: I very much dislike my Zaku Amazing, I'd recommend one of the like dozen HG Origin Zakus over it, since you can (could?) get the Zaku Amazing boosters as a standalone thing if you really want them.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

But basically Action Bases 1 and 4 can hold MGs, 2, 3 and 5 can't. 4 and 5 are just better versions of 1 and 2, while 3 lets you stick a picture in the base if you want.

Important to note, AB1 is still your only choice if you have a big beefy boi.

Or if you purchased the PB only RE/100 Base Jabber, the official recommendation is 3 AB1s. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone have any experience with the actual model kits they made of the Code Geass mechs? I've been kind of eyeing the Guren. They're from back when the show was airing but I don't mind them being a bit old so long as they're decent quality compared to other mid-2000s stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Trip report: Moon Gundam.

It's still really good! It's neat seeing where a lot of the current engineering tricks got their start. I was most surprised at the neck joint - instead of the usual post, there's a secondary joint in there so you get really nice articulation without it having giraffe neck.

I have to assume it comes with a stand because of the huge stupid crescent moon dingus. This is the major downside of the model - if you attach its defining feature, the drat thing can't stay upright for love or money. Also, lining all those little segments sucked.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

edit: I very much dislike my Zaku Amazing, I'd recommend one of the like dozen HG Origin Zakus over it, since you can (could?) get the Zaku Amazing boosters as a standalone thing if you really want them.

Thanks, that was really helpful!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I picked up a whole bunch of action base 4's and found that the MG kampher is too loving fat even for the largest crotch holster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what has been said about these new Master Grade Extreme line they've announced?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what has been said about these new Master Grade Extreme line they've announced?

It's been announced? Thought it just leaked from a trademark application?

Built a new spray booth this week, looking forward to trying it out :D Impressed with the quality and assembly, all went together nicely with gentle application of rubber mallet, reinforced the seams and edges with super glue.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I picked up a whole bunch of action base 4's and found that the MG kampher is too loving fat even for the largest crotch holster

Got to do it the old fashion way of drilling a hole in its taint and gluing a rod.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nur_Neerg posted:

Built a new spray booth this week, looking forward to trying it out :D Impressed with the quality and assembly, all went together nicely with gentle application of rubber mallet, reinforced the seams and edges with super glue.

You call that a spray booth but that's clearly a prison with a trap for me to stick my head through and get stuck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nur_Neerg posted:

I just heard about it today, not sure if it's an official announcement yet. I'm thinking what with RGs essentially being scaled down master grades, an MGX would be a Master Grade scaled version of a Perfect.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gunplaphotos/status/1271067425534955520

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

:perfect:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just heard about it today, not sure if it's an official announcement yet. I'm thinking what with RGs essentially being scaled down master grades, an MGX would be a Master Grade scaled version of a Perfect.

I'd be pretty down if that's what it is - RGs are great but there's limits to how crazy they can get due to part size. I don't really want a PG (maybe if this year's is great) but it's pretty easy to sell me on the idea of a crazy detailed MG.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Isn't the High Resolution line P much a High detail MG already?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looking forward to the MGX Psycho Gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Looking forward to the MGX Psycho Gundam

I think that would constitute a war crime if I threw it at someone.

Then again I've always wanted a gunpla that could double as caltrops.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Endorph posted:

Anyone have any experience with the actual model kits they made of the Code Geass mechs? I've been kind of eyeing the Guren. They're from back when the show was airing but I don't mind them being a bit old so long as they're decent quality compared to other mid-2000s stuff.

I built the Lancelot a few months ago and enjoyed it. I had no idea it was an old kit when I built it, it felt pretty much like a normal HG kit. My only complaint with the Lancelot is that without paint, it looks kinda plain- the yellow plastic parts don't really look close to the gold color from the show at all. The building process was easy, and it's surprisingly posable for a mech with a giant pilot's compartment on its back. I'd say it's worth the :20bux:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think that would constitute a war crime if I threw it at someone.

Then again I've always wanted a gunpla that could double as caltrops.

always handy to have a display toy that doubles as a deadly weapon

I have my masterpiece 01 optimus prime handy for just such an occasional, it's basically die-cast nunchuks in robot mode or a handy plastic-and-metal brick in truck mode

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zedd posted:

Isn't the High Resolution line P much a High detail MG already?

Not quite, they use a pre-assembled inner frame so they're closer to an action figure almost.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Is this the Korean artystation or something? I am wondering how's the fan performance.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

mrg220t posted:

Is this the Korean artystation or something? I am wondering how's the fan performance.

It is yeah; I'm gonna hook up the fan and ducts tonight and see how it does, will let you know. It doesn't come with a fan, for the previous booth version they sold a compatible fan, but they changed the design to where the new booth was not compatible with the old fan. I asked them what they recommended on their Q&A section, and they linked me to a 6" intake/exhaust grow room fan on Amazon, so that's what I'm trying. It's a little beastly for the application I think.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does the RG Unit-02 have a DX version like 00 and 01?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unmature posted:

Does the RG Unit-02 have a DX version like 00 and 01?

Not that we know of.

It's also got a bonus gun and more hands in the base box, which suggests a lack of a deluxe.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Not that we know of.

It's also got a bonus gun and more hands in the base box, which suggests a lack of a deluxe.

Makes sense. People are gonna buy the 02 regardless

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

just received the hg origin gramps kit, p. stoked to build it:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

mrg220t posted:

It worked well, definitely overkill, did a great job keeping everything contained.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Has anybody here experience with the "titanium" plated models? How easy does that poo poo scratch and how much more difficult is the assembly because of it?

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 13, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've always wondered about those plated models too, surly the parts where it was snipped off the runner look terrible unless the entire thing is under-gated, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Has anybody here experience with the "titanium" plated models? How easy does that poo poo scratch and how much more difficult is the assembly because of it?

The finish isn’t super delicate but they look like poo poo unless the kit is under gated and they almost never are. Avoid special finish kits. As far as I know the NG 1/100 Akatsuki and some of the HG and PG Phenex kits are the only ones to undergate.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Midjack posted:

The finish isn’t super delicate but they look like poo poo unless the kit is under gated and they almost never are. Avoid special finish kits. As far as I know the NG 1/100 Akatsuki and some of the HG and PG Phenex kits are the only ones to undergate.

I think there is a MG played Phenex that is properly undergated. You'll still want a gold paint pen for the inescapable touch ups.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gundam1mg/status/1271967729109491713

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I suddenly lost the will to experiment with metallics because it won't be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

I built the Lancelot a few months ago and enjoyed it. I had no idea it was an old kit when I built it, it felt pretty much like a normal HG kit. My only complaint with the Lancelot is that without paint, it looks kinda plain- the yellow plastic parts don't really look close to the gold color from the show at all. The building process was easy, and it's surprisingly posable for a mech with a giant pilot's compartment on its back. I'd say it's worth the :20bux:
Thanks. I managed to scrounge up some old youtube videos too and yeah, the Guren looks decent, I'll probably pick it up. Thanks. Though yeah, the colors on the Guren look kinda plain too, especially the orange.