Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I bought an illustrated 18th century encyclopedia of Japanese Yokai and it owns

There are frog men who love to sumo wrestle and steal your soul out of your rear end in a top hat

i recommend the musical rear end in a top hat-soul-extraction-based anime sarazanmai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I bought an illustrated 18th century encyclopedia of Japanese Yokai and it owns

There are frog men who love to sumo wrestle and steal your soul out of your rear end in a top hat

Related: https://www.wikiart.org/en/tsukioka-yoshitoshi/farting-at-a-kappa-at-the-lumber-yard-in-fukagawa

Also you just have to bow to one, and then it's forced by politeness to bow back, causing the the magical water in the bowl on its head to pour out, thereby dissipating its power to suck your soul out through your rear end in a top hat.

They also like cucumbers.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s a crying shame that Monet etc was just inspired by the nature and scenery of japanese art and not all the cool stuff like that and the He-gassed scroll and so on

it would be cool to see what Nikolai Astrup could do with farts and octopus sex

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't get why dudes like Joseph Campbell spent all their time trying to make all world mythologies the same when the poo poo that is uniquely produced by a culture's particular beliefs and hangups is way more interesting

Like, only Catholicism had to invent nocturnal sex demons to deal with the guilt of being horny in dreams

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

To be honest, the best stuff in Campbell and Frazer (esp Frazer) is when they go out on an absolutely wild limb based on bad or outright fabricated evidence. It has zero anthropological value in the modern sense but the result is kind of poetic imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
well dont get me wrong I hate campbell in the first place and find his entire motivations to be both pointless and poorly defended

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am trying to find a good translation of The Goetia and its funny because half of the reviews are like "WARNING: DOES NOT CONTAIN THE PROPER SIGILS TO PREVENT DARK INFLUENCE" and people being like "This is bullshit the demon I summoned never came"

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is Pastoralia a solid start for George Saunders? I read the titular story for a class once and enjoyed it, employees role-playing as cave men and going to their "Separate Area" and whatnot. I don't know anything about the other stories.

The concept of Lincoln in the Bardo, at least from what I read, isn't that compelling to me but I saw it mentioned several times ITT as excellent. Maybe I just need a shove in that direction.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think Civilwarland is the better collection but they're both great. Lincoln is really hard if you are or have been a parent of young children, but it's excellent no matter what.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tenth of December is the best intro to Saunders I think

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I think you’ll read any of those three and soon read the other two. If you have 1 minute and that’s it then read Sticks

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The New Yorker still has "Escape from Spiderhead" outside of the paywall and it takes like maybe 10 minutes to read, see if you like that
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/12/20/escape-from-spiderhead

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
what saunders taught us in lincoln in the bardo is that it's funny to read about people with messed up junk (especially supernaturally messed up junk) and yet comparative few modern authors devote much space to these character concerns

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

What are people's favourite literary biographies. I've come to really like the genre

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

J_RBG posted:

What are people's favourite literary biographies. I've come to really like the genre

Like biographies of literary figures or biographies meant to be read as literary

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like biographies of literary figures or biographies meant to be read as literary

I meant the former but I guess I'll accept the latter too

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

J_RBG posted:

Biographies written by friends are something special, like Boswell's Life of Johnson or Max Brod's bio of Kafka. For a normal bio, they need to have had a crazy enough life-- I've had the most fun with A Serious Character: the Life of Ezra Pound by Humphrey Carpenter, and D'Annunzio by Phillippe Jullian.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tree Goat posted:

The New Yorker still has "Escape from Spiderhead" outside of the paywall and it takes like maybe 10 minutes to read, see if you like that

This is definitely one of Saunders's best. I bought Tenth of December based on it and found that collection hit-or-miss, but "Spiderhead" is really good, and maybe the best use of some of Saunders's recurring themes from Tenth.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am trying to find a good translation of The Goetia and its funny because half of the reviews are like "WARNING: DOES NOT CONTAIN THE PROPER SIGILS TO PREVENT DARK INFLUENCE" and people being like "This is bullshit the demon I summoned never came"

This has been my experience too and I am also looking for a good translation of the Goetia

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

InnercityGriot posted:

This has been my experience too and I am also looking for a good translation of the Goetia

My translation smells like incense even though it has been literal years since I got it because I got it from an occult co-op and so that's the version I recommend, the translation coming second in importance.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What I really want is to find a fully illustrated and translated infernal dictionary but the cheapest copies still run like 100 bucks

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

J_RBG posted:

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tree Goat posted:

oh no the image is missing, the chart jeff draws in the middle of the story :( what does it look like?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh no the image is missing, the chart jeff draws in the middle of the story :( what does it look like?

It's just a bipartite graph:

it's no vonnegut rear end in a top hat or faulkner coffin, in the annals of interstitial prose images

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How does it rank to a bolano window

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ah ok i figured it would be something like that (though i imagined them in a circle).

good story!

e: i just remembered that diagram of how they slide on their socks in the apartment from heartbreaking work of staggering genius lmao

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How does it rank to a bolano window

there's a big continuum from the zodiac killer's logo all the way up to bolaño's five mexicans peeing in a urinal

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the best ones are the squiggly lines in tristram shandy when hes trying to explain why hes loving up writing his autobiography

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm reading Clarice Lispector's short stories, in the Complete Stories collection published in 2015. So far I've read Family Ties and Foreign Legion. I found Family Ties a bit clumsy, and thought it might be a translation issue, but I loved Foreign Legion and it is the same translator. A lot of her stories are built around a single moment of profound realization that changes the life of the character (breaking out of a boring, loveless life, transitioning from childhood to adulthood etc.) sometimes without the character fully understanding the realization. In Family Ties, I felt she missed the mark when reaching for the profound, and often the prose and word choice didn't convey the moment well and seemed awkward.

Foreign Legion was much more polished. There is a story based on the premise of 'what comes first, the chicken or the egg?' that has a lot to say about how society views women as mothers vs. how society views women as individuals. It also sheds some light on the recurring use of chickens in Lispector's stories. The story Foreign Legion (which is placed after the story about the chicken and the egg in the collection) includes a chick as a pet. Within the story, the presence of the chick brings on one of those profound moments for a young girl, as she struggles with between her internalized socialization to behave as a sophisticated lady and the childlike impulse to dote over a small animal. Ultimately she kills the chick, rejecting childhood and innocence.

But looking at the story in light of the earlier chicken and the egg story presents a possible different interpretation. In the chicken and the egg story, the egg is eternal and sacred while the chicken is merely a vessel to bring the egg into the world. The egg is the societal veneration for motherhood, care giving and the reproduction of humanity. The chicken is the individual woman, that society does not value apart from her role in producing egg.

Reading the story Foreign Legion in this context, maybe the child is not rejecting childhood, but is rejecting motherhood and the egg. She kills the chick because she does not want to become the chicken. She does not want her only value to be bringing forth the egg. She wants to be an individual valued for her own worth and not just a vessel for egg.

Anyways, for those of you who have read Lispector's novels, is there one you would recommend? I'm leaning towards reading her later novels (The Passion According to G.H., Agua Viva) first since I didn't jive with her early stories. But her first novel is what made her famous, so maybe I should try that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive only read the passion according to g.h. but i really loved it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

same, I don’t think you could go wrong with that one

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I started with Hour of the Star but kind of bounced off it, but yeah Passion According to G.H. was fantastic and led me to buy her collected stories which are also good although somewhat mixed

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I read The Chandelier earlier this year (??? I think?? Time has lost all meaning) and it was real good. Definitely need to read some more Lispector.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i loved the crazy book where the cockroach gets squished and the lady goes all nuts about it. alright i'll be in the tolkien thread if you need me

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

J_RBG posted:

I meant the former but I guess I'll accept the latter too

My Secret Life by “Walter”

Real answer: Benevenuto Cellini’s autobiography slaps.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Klaus Kinski's autobiography is fun and it's basically a novel.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ty

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gunter Grass's autobiography was really good too, there's a lot of background to The Tin Drum and he talks a lot about how much of his life and childhood went into that book

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Casanova's autobiography is supposed to be extremely sick and I have the first three volumes of the complete and unfucked with english translation by Willard Trask but I haven't read any of it yet so this is a cautious recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i enjoy anything klaus kinski has done, i like the idea of just this one insane man against the rest of the world even if he was kind of a bad person