Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe we can just pretend gurm wrote a book for a few pages, screw up with the next guy who drops into the thread after a while and jumps to the last post?

We'll need to post like crazy so it looks like 800 posts are sitting there. Maybe change the thread title to ASoIaF: It's Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So GRRM said he was writing at the start of Quarantine. It’s now been nearly 3 months. Where’s the update?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I stopped reading right about there.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So GRRM said he was writing at the start of Quarantine. It’s now been nearly 3 months. Where’s the update?

Maybe it's just the depression talking but I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Is he dead yet ?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It takes a very long time to write a blog post.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I really want to know if we can make it a full 10 years from Dance without a release date for Winds even being announced.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Vichan posted:

Maybe it's just the depression talking but I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

I've read all the books multiple times (even took my time and followed the Ball of Beasts read-order), watched the show while it was airing, and have re-watched it a few times (before season eight was a thing, ugh), and I really don't know if I will buy the next book. If GRRM announced it was being released TODAY, I really don't think I could force myself to care about it. Like, this series has at least another two or three books before it can be completed, and at the pace he wrights, it won't be before he dies. And I know, unfinished series' can be good, but this series isn't unfinished. We know how it ends even if it's just the broad strokes. And I could definitely see the ending being well done in book form, because as much as we poo poo on him, he is a good writer. I would love to read the novelization of the final season. But it's never going to happen. So unless the next book comes out and all you nerds say it's amazing, I really don't think I'll read it.

I'll still read this dumb thread though, because I love hate-posting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really want to know if we can make it a full 10 years from Dance without a release date for Winds even being announced.

Did HBO put the kibosh on the prequel shows for Game of Thrones? If anything is going to force people to get GRRM to say something, it's marketing synergy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hate to just quote myself but:

hobbesmaster posted:

The trains are going to be named “winds of winter” and “a dream of spring” thus technically fulfilling his commitment. “Pages written” just refers to the operating manuals.

George Rail Road Martin, world’s greatest troll.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Did HBO put the kibosh on the prequel shows for Game of Thrones? If anything is going to force people to get GRRM to say something, it's marketing synergy.

I think at least one of the prequels is going ahead according to grrm blog

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ccs posted:

I think at least one of the prequels is going ahead according to grrm blog

The Dance of the Dragons one, if I recall correctly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why would HBO want anything to do with this diarrhea of a franchise anymore after the fiasco that was season 8.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe they bought stock in companies that produce cheap white wigs?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think the amount of money they were making dictates they need to at least test the waters on whether or not anyone's willing to return if they're promised a kind of reset on the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why would HBO want anything to do with this diarrhea of a franchise anymore after the fiasco that was season 8.

This is the same cable channel that created so many similarly named streaming services at the same time they had to put out a literal PSA to tell people which one was the new one they wanted them to watch and subscribe to.

HBO is not smart.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It was the cultural phenomenon of the decade and a non insignificant people will watch at least the first couple episodes of a spin-off just because it's familiar and they want another hit of the highs of GoT.

Will they get it? Most likely not, but the bet is still solid enough for HBO to give it a go.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
HBO used to drop a whole bunch of one-off shows that would be cancelled / cut short, but were still quality...so who knows.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dragon money. They got lot of it, they want more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe they bought stock in companies that produce cheap white wigs?

remember how they recycled viserys wig for the big rhaegar reveal in season 6 or 7
cheap fuckers when they shouldn't be and spend too much on things they shouldn't
can't believe that show actually used to be good

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
With people taking down episodes of TV shows and wizards of the coast making dungeons and dragons less racist I do wonder when folks are going to turn their attention to this poo poo show HBO just aired a year ago that was pretty much misogynistic smut through and through and also featured extremely xenophobic depictions of other cultures with absolutely zero redeeming value or contextualization.

GRRM at least goes a certain distance to de-glorify the violence and even though he presents raping a 13 year old sex slave in a very erotic manner that implies consent he generally tries to not be awful, maybe. D&D indulged in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The update is that he bought a life sized train set.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
My favorite memory of George disappointing people were the book readers on the asoiaf forums who were sure the series would finish before the show did. Like they had intricate timelines worked out and everything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hanales posted:

My favorite memory of George disappointing people were the book readers on the asoiaf forums who were sure the series would finish before the show did. Like they had intricate timelines worked out and everything.

My favourite GRRM-adjacent moment was in 2018 when I was looking back through my post history in this godawful interlocking Jenga stack of dumpster fires posing as a thread that just said “2017.”, with a link to a story that said “GRRM doesn’t believe The Winds of Winter will be finished until 2017.”

And the cold gasp I let out when I saw the date stamp and realized I’d posted it back in 2014.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Even though the Dunk & Egg stories are usually like 110-130 pgs it still makes me laugh that he's doing a book in between ADOS.

Like I get him needing a break with writing something simple but it's still funny that he probably won't even start ADOS until like 2023 if TWOW comes out next year

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

if TWOW comes out next year

hahahaha

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
One of these threads got me into the series in late 2003.

Great joke, guys. Roll on snaredrum.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If someone here in 2011 made a poll for when people thought the next book would come out I wonder if anyone would have picked in the 2020s even as a hilarious joke.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The op was last changed in 2014. No further point.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Eason the Fifth posted:

One of these threads got me into the series in late 2003.

Great joke, guys. Roll on snaredrum.

Man bursts into tears.
Says "But Doctor, I am your bitch."

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If someone here in 2011 made a poll for when people thought the next book would come out I wonder if anyone would have picked in the 2020s even as a hilarious joke.

2017 was the haha joke option for the longest in here and a bunch of places and then it came and went.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SirKibbles posted:

Even though the Dunk & Egg stories are usually like 110-130 pgs it still makes me laugh that he's doing a book in between ADOS.

Like I get him needing a break with writing something simple but it's still funny that he probably won't even start ADOS until like 2023 if TWOW comes out next year

He should admit that the main series is never finishing and just write Dunk and Egg stories for the rest of time anyway

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I figured he'd die before releasing another one. But I also figured he'd be dead before 2020.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kylaer posted:

I figured he'd die before releasing another one. But I also figured he'd be dead before 2020.

When you think about it, the only way to free everyone is for him to die, so Sanderson can finish it, and you know what needs to be done.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

When you think about it, the only way to free everyone is for him to die, so Sanderson can finish it, and you know what needs to be done.

Set up a pizza hut franchise across his mansion ?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Yeah I honestly expected a heart attack to take him by now. Good on him for beating the odds I guess.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Wasnt he very clear that all his notes were to be burnt once he died which seems pretty much in character.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hitchensgoespop posted:

Wasnt he very clear that all his notes were to be burnt once he died which seems pretty much in character.

What difference would that make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

hitchensgoespop posted:

"The series dies with me"

- gurm on his blog