Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JonathonSpectre posted:

The real heartbreaker here is Wonder Woman. Everything up to the "final boss" is really good, then they just have a dumb punch-fight that drags everything down.

And the real heartbreaker about that is they already had a perfect non-punch-fight ending. Wonder Woman points out to Ares that his genius plan of "destroy all humans" means an end to war, which means he dies. Ares thinks about this for a moment, agrees, and leaves. Instead, they throw CG at each other for awhile and no one cares.

I cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Uhh I don't think this version Ares needs humans to exist

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

Uhh I don't think this version Ares needs humans to exist

He's a fictional character. He needs whatever the writers need him to need. If him being dependent on human conflict would make for a more interesting ending, they could have just written him that way.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Could you guys explain your ~wacky~ lists of random movies or is the joke that it's funny because they are not MCU movies but I'm saying they are

Happy to explain.

You’re unable to find the comedy because my list is not a joke, nor am I trying to mock people who enjoy any/all of the MCU films. I’m using the framework of the official MCU to recontextualize and expand on ideas irrevocably opened by the films themselves.

From a general perspective, I’m trying to reproduce the flow of:
- the introduction of the superhero and how they exploit/are exploited
- the merging of the individual worlds of the superheroes
- the unsettling intrusion of the female and black figures unafraid of utilizing violence for their own means
- the possibility of freedom from inhuman exploitation

From a closer perspective, for example, after The Avengers (2012), Dr. Strangelove (1964) emphasizes the comic-absurdity of presenting a heroic and just use of nuclear arms.

Crimpolioni posted:

Nice. Lord of War especially I think is a good first choice.

fenix down posted:

Oh that's a good list! Superfly is without a doubt the most important African American film ever made.

Thank you! Y’all are too kind. Full original soundtrack by Future and the protagonist Priest are definitely the superheros we need in these increasingly troubling times.
(Fairly graphic violence, probably NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXfN-A1zdk

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

He's a fictional character. He needs whatever the writers need him to need. If him being dependent on human conflict would make for a more interesting ending, they could have just written him that way.

Of course, but I didn't get the impression that the movie was going with that angle. And even if it did, that wouldn't necessarily change Ares encouragement of WMDs - it would make sense for a god of war to lack self preservation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Blood Boils posted:

Of course, but I didn't get the impression that the movie was going with that angle. And even if it did, that wouldn't necessarily change Ares encouragement of WMDs - it would make sense for a god of war to lack self preservation.

And talking him down from that would have been more interesting than a big CG Dragon Ball fight. Take the position that diplomacy and detente are a necessary part of war.

Say what you want about Doctor Strange, having Strange cleverly outwit Dormammu rather than just kamehameha him into oblivion is a huge point in that movie's favour.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

JonathonSpectre posted:

The real heartbreaker here is Wonder Woman. Everything up to the "final boss" is really good, then they just have a dumb punch-fight that drags everything down.

And the real heartbreaker about that is they already had a perfect non-punch-fight ending. Wonder Woman points out to Ares that his genius plan of "destroy all humans" means an end to war, which means he dies. Ares thinks about this for a moment, agrees, and leaves. Instead, they throw CG at each other for awhile and no one cares.

You think it would be a good ending to reveal that the villain is extremely stupid, and had a plan to destroy his own food source for no reason?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

You think it would be a good ending to reveal that the villain is extremely stupid, and had a plan to destroy his own food source for no reason?

"Stupid, thoughtlessly all-consuming, needlessly destructive" pretty much covers war, doesn't it?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phylodox posted:

"Stupid, thoughtlessly all-consuming, needlessly destructive" pretty much covers war, doesn't it?

no. i don't think wars are "thoughtless" or that the effects of war are "needless", inasmuch as war doesn't happen unmotivated or to achieve ends that could be had otherwise. i don't really know what it would mean for a war to be "stupid" unless you just mean it's a bad idea

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phase 1
Into the Blue (2005)
Better Luck Tomorrow (2002)
Eight Below (2006)
Transformers (2007)
Pitch Black (2000)
The Fast and the Furious (2001) + 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) + The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) (triple feature, lol)

Phase 2
Varsity Blues (1999)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
Riddick (2013)
Alien (1979)
Fast & Furious (2009)
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

Phase 3
Fast Five (2011)
Inception (2010)
Aliens (1986)
Spider-Man (2002)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
Walking Tall (2004)
Fast and Furious 6 (2013)
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997)
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
Furious 7 (2015)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)

[edit] Should be fairly easy to pick up the pattern I used to curate my list.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 11, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope the OP’s gf is enjoying the films.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope the OP’s gf is enjoying the films.

me too, i was enjoying her reactions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

no. i don't think wars are "thoughtless" or that the effects of war are "needless", inasmuch as war doesn't happen unmotivated or to achieve ends that could be had otherwise. i don't really know what it would mean for a war to be "stupid" unless you just mean it's a bad idea

Ares specifically represents brutal, unrestrained war, as opposed to Athena, who embodied strategy and tactics. Ares is exactly the kind of deity who would destroy himself through thoughtlessly continuing to destroy because the act of destruction is satisfying to him.

He's also the god of valor, though, so Diana could have appealed to that side of him. How can there be valor if there are no survivors?

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Like we're not even listing good movies as replacements anymore, it's just randomly listing movies and then giggling that they have a special meaning as ~MCU films~. If you're doing that at least put in the work to explain why you chose the movies, why you think they work, why you like them loving anything.

It's not funny, it's not insightful, it's just pointless white noise bullshit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Like we're not even listing good movies as replacements anymore, it's just randomly listing movies and then giggling that they have a special meaning as ~MCU films~. If you're doing that at least put in the work to explain why you chose the movies, why you think they work, why you like them loving anything.

It's not funny, it's not insightful, it's just pointless white noise bullshit.

One "not-so-obvious" thing in my recently generated list is that they're all movies I truly enjoy more than the majority of MCU movies, save for maybe a few of my top tier MCU picks (which I have listed earlier in this thread). I realize that kind of subjectivity isn't easily discerned through listed movie titles and their release years, so I apologize that my lack of explanation made you understandably upset.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

One "not-so-obvious" thing in my recently generated list is that they're all movies I truly enjoy more than the majority of MCU movies, save for maybe a few of my top tier MCU picks (which I have listed earlier in this thread). I realize that kind of subjectivity isn't easily discerned through listed movie titles and their release years, so I apologize that my lack of explanation made you understandably upset.

Then is the thread now just posting movies you like in some random order and then tiering them off in Phases to make them MCU related? If we're going to go the realm of ignoring the actual MCU films then at least pick movies that correspond to their MCU counterparts in theme or some other interesting way.

I think what bothers me is not that the poor lil MCU is being mistreated but that nothing is being given to replace it in any way other than "Hey dork here's some better movies in a random order, watch better media" which just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have no issue with providing other options that you think a person may enjoy more, but the lack of interest in actually providing reasoning and discussion and instead taking a dump on the thread's concept, starting the same boring clubhouse mentality that CD generally has, and just the general lovely attitude this thread and a lot of threads in CD devolves into.

It's just tiring and lame.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Could you guys explain your ~wacky~ lists of random movies or is the joke that it's funny because they are not MCU movies but I'm saying they are

Well each one is thematically tied to the film it's replacing in some way and, I feel, is better about exploring that theme, or it's just structurally similar in a way I found interesting.

The Rocketeer (Joe Johnston, 1991) - a millionaire industrialist's prized invention must be prevented from misuse, in this case by a Nazi rather than by a guy who's basically the same as the millionaire industrialist but not as nice

Hulk (Ang Lee, 2003) - It's a really good movie about The Hulk that more people should watch.

RoboCop 2 (Irvin Kirshner, 1990) - a very weird sequel that takes ideas from the first and twists them in compelling new directions, adds its own concepts, and doesn't really work at all. Whiplash is what happens when one of the RoboCop 2 prototypes doesn't try to kill itself but turns on its creators.

Judge Dredd (Danny Cannon, 1995) - a member of the ruling class of a higher society is, because of his evil brother's machinations, sent down to the lower world, and has to work with a member of the lower society to reclaim the status that was ripped from him by defeating that evil brother, and in the process his father, played by a respected actor who is way too good for this, dies. (functionally at least wrt Odinsleep)

Captain America: The First Avenger (Joe Johnston, 2011) - this one is just an actual good movie

Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension (W.D. Richter, 1984) - a bunch of heroes team up to take on an alien threat, with a very blatant sequel hook at the end

The Last Boy Scout (Tony Scott, 1991) - mostly just because it's also a Shane Black movie

Fire And Ice (Ralph Bakshi, 1983) - it's fantasy, there are elves in Thor 2

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (Jose Padilha, 2010) - a tense thriller about government corruption and how forces that superficially are intended to help society are twisted to profitable and cruel ends. Plus it doesn't shove all those tensions off on a Nazi supercomputer that's been controlling the government the whole time.

Flash Gordon (Mike Hodges, 1980) - space adventures, cool music

Chappie (Neill Blomkamp, 2015) - I think SMG's already gone into how this is a better version of a "robot learns to live as a being with human-like self-awareness" story than Vision's

Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh, 2017) - a charming heist helps a man reconnect with his daughter

North By Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959) - in the course of trying to clear someone's good name, a lot of risk is taken while dealing with a morass of murky intelligence agencies

Paprika (Satoshi Kon, 2006) - I think "okay this one may actually be kind of lazy because doctor strange's visuals are a pale copy of Inception which is a pale copy of Paprika so it's an obvious replacement but it's still a pretty solid movie" covered it

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion (Hideaki Anno, 1997) - main character has to deal with his immaturity and inability to have healthy relationships with women at a cosmic scale

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012) - Spider-Man

Promare (Hiroyuki Imaishi, 2019) - Two incompatible personalities have to team up to defeat a villain set on destroying the world, has a way better execution of "bright colors, cool music" than Ragnarok

Yeelen (Souleymane Cissé, 1987) - the heir to a powerful ability has to reckon with the failures of the men who came before him.

The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) (Eiji Aonuma & Yoshiaki Koizumi, 2000) - attempting to avert certain doom by completing a series of side quests

Steins;Gate (full first series) (Hiroshi Hamasaki and Takuya Satō, 2011) - the most I could understand from the Wikipedia page of Ant-Man 2 is "it's a very complicated way of rescuing someone who was thought dead" and that's about what Steins;Gate is.

Strange Days (Kathryn Bigelow, 1995) - the 90s

Primer (Shane Carruth, 2004) - convoluted time travel

Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012) - the anxieties of a post-CGI, post-digital filmmaking world

I Before E fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 11, 2020

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

teagone posted:

So it's just a list of movies you like? I thought you were going for some kind of "First letter of each line spells something" gag, but this really is just noise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

thekeeshman posted:

So it's just a list of movies you like? I thought you were going for some kind of "First letter of each line spells something" gag, but this really is just noise.

No. I said that's one of the things about the list. I'll do an effort post later that'll detail the connections/pattern since I'm assuming you won't bother to figure it out yourself for reasons. It's pretty shallow/obvious really, but I'll write it up in a bit anyways :3:

[edit] But gently caress, now that you mentioned the first letter of each line gag, I legit wish I did that now. Lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 11, 2020

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

teagone posted:

No. I said that's one of the things about the list. I'll do an effort post later that'll detail the connections/pattern since I'm assuming you won't bother to figure it out yourself for reasons. It's pretty shallow/obvious really, but I'll write it up in a bit anyways :3:

...why in the world should other people have to bother to figure out the logic of a list of movies you posted?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

...why in the world should other people have to bother to figure out the logic of a list of movies you posted?

Because you are beneath the higher plane of understanding that you aren't welcome to discuss Marvel movies in the movie subforum

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Lt Danger posted:

as noted Blockbuster Video was a top-level forum with a specific ban on SMG and SMG-posting created after posters in QCS asked for a space where they could talk about the same movies that Cinema Discusso did but on a more prosaic level, i.e. without formalist analysis or overtly political critique

bluntly, it failed because the posters in QCS weren't interested in discussing films in the way they liked, rather they were interested in shutting up people who discussed films in a way they didn't like

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Really looking forward to when the mega threads get sent to GBS and this place slowly phases out of existence. Holy gently caress what a miserable place.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Because you are beneath the higher plane of understanding that you aren't welcome to discuss Marvel movies in the movie subforum

Nobody is preventing anybody from talking about the Marvel movies. There was just a discussion about Age of Ultron without any issues.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Because it's fun?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I've legitimately contributed to this thread's original post, several times. I'm simply going along with the fun exercise that some of the recent posts have had. Am I not allowed to do that without being criticized as a pretentious asshat? Or is that impossible for you to do?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

I said that's one of the things about the list. I'll do an effort post later that'll detail the connections/pattern since I'm assuming you won't bother to figure it out yourself for reasons. It's pretty shallow/obvious really, but I'll write it up in a bit anyways

lol if you think making a no-effort post for people to "decipher," proceeding to post comically condescending garbage, and then sealioning is "contribution"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

lol if you think making a no-effort post for people to "decipher," proceeding to post comically condescending garbage, and then sealioning is "contribution"

:shrug:

teagone posted:

I curated a list of MCU films around the time of Endgame's release that encompasses the narrative thrust of the 'Infinity Saga' into a condensed 10-film series.

The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame

Any MCU first timer can just watch those and not miss a beat. All the Infinity Stones are introduced, and most post-credits stingers directly lead into the next film on the list so there shouldn't be any confusion.

teagone posted:

Fast Five is what The Avengers wishes it could have been.

[edit] The parallels between the Fast & Furious series and the MCU are unmistakable. Each film introduces new heroes, the escalating nature of their adventures with each new chapter, quips and comedy, bombastic action, heroes teaming up, etc. The Fast and Furious movies are just way more fun imo, because of how self aware they are about themselves and their ridiculous nature.

teagone posted:

It's S-tier on my list as well. So yes, deffo worth it imo.

[edit] For reference:

teagone posted:

TOP TIER (MCU's best)

SSS rank
Winter Soldier

SS+ rank
Dr. Strange

SS rank
First Avenger

S+ rank
Iron Man Trilogy
The Incredible Hulk

S rank
GOTG
Thor 3

MID TIER (These are whatever)
Everything else

BOTTOM TIER (Dogshit)
Avengers 1 & 2
Ant-Man 2
GOTG 2
Thor 2
Far From Home

[edit] Added Far From Home to DOGSHIT TIER, and changed Top Tier numbering to "S" ranks.

teagone posted:

They're technically not wrong. OP was also asking for suggestions, so of course you'll have goons "posturing" by ragging on the MCU, lmao. Same way you'd get goons "posturing" on how bad DCEU films are in a similar discussion. Watching all 22 MCU films over however many consecutive nights does seem like overkill now that the "Infinity Saga" is complete. You can watch 10-12 of them and the narrative thrust is just as effective imo. Roughly half of the films are kinda like filler episodes that you can skip and aren't really worth watching. Unless you're some ultra-diehard Marvel fan and absolutely need/want to ingest it all, but seems like that's not the case here for OP's girlfriend.

Binging MCU films also seems like it would amplify the flaws of franchise-driven filmmaking, e.g., like most of the MCU stories are basically the Iron Man origin told with different set dressing, the cookie-cutter application of Marvel's boilerplate "house style", and how tame the drama really is in relation to the lackluster/CG-laden action that's paraded around as cinematic spectacle.

[edit] I also don't think offering up alternative films to MCU movies is shitposting. Rude? Maybe, I guess, considering the topic lol.

[edit 2] Also OP edited these lines into the post, inviting/baiting goons to shitpost anyways so :shrug:

teagone posted:

For all its faults, The Avengers does do a decent enough job introducing all the major players and plot elements present through the entirety of the Infinity Saga, rendering the first Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies unnecessary if you just want to experience the overarching story. The only exception I'd make to my curated list is adding in Thor as a "prologue" since it introduces the cosmic stuff right away and its post-credit stinger neatly leads directly into The Avengers, while also integrating itself into the Infinity Saga narrative with the tesseract tease.

teagone posted:

The Infinity Saga itself is a decent enough story that can be understood by watching 10 out of the 23 movies that encompass it imo. The 13 other films I'd cut out do enrich the experience as a whole, but I mean, there's a reason abridged/condensed versions of various media exist. The point of this exercise—or at least, in my own curation—was to offer an alternative experience that doesn't require a first-time MCU viewer to watch roughly 26+ hours worth of additional content in order to get up to speed.

Pitching a 10-film series to a first time MCU viewer is much easier to digest than saying "You absolutely need to watch 20+ films to get it all!" It'd be up to them if they want to go back and watch the supplementary films that were cut if they really enjoyed a condensed version of The Infinity Saga.

[edit] And I'm not "sealioning" dude. I'm being 100% sincere. Jesus.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 11, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Why won't you make me happy? You must desire my unhappiness! How toxic

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Besides SMG, I really don't think people in this thread are making fun of you. People are just having fun with coming up with lists of films that hit similar themes to the MCU movies in a way that they feel is better. I Before E even made a big effort post explaining his reasoning.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You don't have to do anything! But as teagone said, trying to understand the reasoning behind the selections is part of the fun. At the same time we may be enticed to see movies we haven't seen, or rewatch/rethink ones we have seen in a different context.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm enjoying thinking of reasoning behind lists as well.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Also, our posts are not our persons, we all make bad posts sometimes and it's ok to tease each other for them

There's no need to get upset that strangers scattered across the anglophone world have different taste/politics than me!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was gonna write up my effort post, but the PS5 event started, which I'm watching now, so I set aside doing that. I'll get around to my stupid/silly descriptions for each of my faux-MCU selections after the stream :haw:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Also, our posts are not our persons, we all make bad posts sometimes and it's ok to tease each other for them

There's no need to get upset that strangers scattered across the anglophone world have different taste/politics than me!

Speak for yourself; if you ever make fun of my posts, prepare to get real upset.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I like that Buckaroo Banzai has been mentioned a few times because it manages to do in one movie what the MCU dragged out across 20.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm enjoying the curations so far as well. Sliming down the amount of films to nine, I think this'd present a pretty coherent narrative from phase 1-4

Iron Man
Thor
Captain America: The first Avenger
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Infinity War
Endgame

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

I Before E posted:

The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) (Eiji Aonuma & Yoshiaki Koizumi, 2000) - attempting to avert certain doom by completing a series of side quests

I meant to comment, this one was a particularly inspired choice, as I had recently read this article about its inception:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/30/21241902/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-was-never-supposed-to-exist

In retrospect, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty would have been dope as a re-imagining of Captain America: Winter Soldier.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 12, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

I meant to comment, this one was a particularly inspired choice, as I had recently read this article about its inception:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/30/21241902/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-was-never-supposed-to-exist

In retrospect, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty would have been dope as a re-imagining of Captain America: Winter Soldier.

If I was going to make a list that was just the MCU as games, that's one that would need to be on there, alongside Return To Castle Wolfenstein as Cap 1 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for Hulk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Chrono Trigger for Endgame, you've got time travel, bringing a dead character back to life, and confronting the main villain multiple times in different parts of his life until you kill a younger version. And you can play the whole game in less time than it would take to watch every MCU movie!

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 12, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Chrono Trigger for Endgame, you've got time travel, bringing a dead character back to life, and confronting the main villain multiple times in different parts of his life until you kill a younger version. And you can play the while game in less time than it would take to watch every MCU movie!

Oh poo poo you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Then is the thread now just posting movies you like in some random order and then tiering them off in Phases to make them MCU related? If we're going to go the realm of ignoring the actual MCU films then at least pick movies that correspond to their MCU counterparts in theme or some other interesting way.

Enjoy!

teagone posted:

Phase 1
Into the Blue (2005)
Better Luck Tomorrow (2002)
Eight Below (2006)
Transformers (2007)
Pitch Black (2000)
The Fast and the Furious (2001) + 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) + The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) (triple feature, lol)

The main thrust of Phase 1 was to assemble our heroes. The selection of movies above brings together Paul Walker, Sung Kang, Tyrese Gibson, and Vin Disel through their respective appearances, culminating in an epic triple feature that unites all of the actors together (Tokyo Drift requires that you watch the post-credits stinger and accept that Han isn't dead—this line of thinking can be acknowledged by watching the F9 trailer) [edit] *Correction: The scene with Dom is part of Tokyo Drift and isn't a stinger, I misremembered.

To get more specific, Into the Blue introduces us to Paul Walker, whose character is mostly the inverse of Tony Stark: he lives that simpleton beach bum life, is broke as gently caress working as a diver/scavenger off his boat, and is 100% not a genius, but he does share Stark's sense of wanting/needing more. Paul Walker's character is eventually thrust into adventure as a victim of circumstance—much like Stark was—and eventually comes to epic blows with another beach bum scavenger who has a much bigger boat than him.

Better Luck Tomorrow introduces us to Han, but his character in the film isn't really all that important until we get to Tokyo Drift anyways (reminder that both Better Luck Tomorrow and Tokyo Drift are in the same continuity—this was confirmed by both director Justin Lin and Sung Kang). I included this film mostly because 1) it brings Sung Kang into the fold, 2) is connected to Tokyo Drift, 3) reflects how in general, no one really cares about The Incredible Hulk (both the character and the film) until he shows up in the The Avengers, and 4) is just a really good rear end movie that I personally engage with on several levels as an Asian American.

We're reintroduced to Paul Walker in Eight Below. I've only seen this movie once, but the reason this film is the "stand-in" for Iron Man 2 is because Paul Walker is in it lmao, but also because it's a Disney production that I'm just going to assume had plenty of studio interference like Iron Man 2 did because Disney gonna Disney. I probably could have picked a better movie for this spot, but I haven't seen too many films with Paul Walker in it outside of the ones I've put on this list. If someone else knows a film that better parallels the themes of Iron Man 2 that stars Paul Walker, feel free to chime in :)

Transformers? Tyrese Gibson makes an appearance in Transformers. Lol. No, but also, the film is about our heroes being "banished" to Earth for inciting a war and continuing that battle on Earth to overcome the threat of living automatons all while getting tangled up with shady clandestine organizations. And a lot of what the main character (Sam Witwicky) learns through the film is the virtue of self-respect after being cocky/smarmy/sarcastic/arrogant/etc. as well, and the AllSpark is/can be analogous to the Tesseract.

Pitch Black brings us to the reveal of Vin Diesel. His character of Riddick can be seen as a dark mirror to Captain America in a few ways: Cap is righteous, Riddick is ruthless. They both survived crashed ships, though Riddick was frozen in cryostatis as a prisoner when the ship he was in crashed, which ultimately ended up freeing him, and Cap's resulting ship crashing was a selfless, heroic act that ended up freezing him into stasis. They both also have super sexy muscular bodies. Pitch Black also slaps, and any self-respecting sci-fi action fan should agree imo.

The Fast and Furious triple feature is meant to be emblematic of that palpable hype The Avengers generated among the masses. Uniting all the actors across their separate films into a 3-part epic that's meant to evoke the "experience" of Marvel's The Avengers is the point, plain and simple. The gimmick of seeing actors from other films come together in a single film does work, I will admit. But the charm doesn't last that long imo.

quote:

Phase 2
Varsity Blues (1999)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
Riddick (2013)
Alien (1979)
Fast & Furious (2009)
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

Varsity Blues is another Paul Walker film I really like. Though he's not the main character, his character's journey is similar to that of Stark's in Iron Man 3. Lance Harbor is a revered hero among the people for his services as the star quarterback in West Canaan, Texas. He's eventually injured and has to learn to accept his new role both as a friend to his peers, and as a player whose once bright future as a star athlete ends up becoming a journey towards something greater (becoming a coach). Lance transcends his status as a showy high school jock and learns through adversity and injury, that despite no longer being able to physically be a god on the football field, he can lead by example and show others the way to truly be a hero. Required listening after watching the movie: Foo Fighters - My Hero

Revenge of the Fallen. Tyrese Gibson is also in it. But also, like Thor: The Dark World, it's a real lovely sequel. Revenge of the Fallen is a dumb, schlocky movie with typical Bayhem trappings that had me bored about 30 minutes in or so. The same can be said about Thor 2. Redeeming factor between the films? They both have a decent aesthetic about them imo, and as such, look properly expensive compared to most other MCU fare.

Vin Diesel returns as Riddick in Riddick, which is a sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick (supplementary viewing), which is a sequel to Pitch Black. It also owns. But also, much like how Cap faces betrayal from Shield in Winter Soldier, Riddick is betrayed by the Necromongers that sets the stage for each of their respective stories. There might be more similarities between Riddick and Winter Soldier, but I mostly just added it because of the obvious.

Alien—a rag tag group of heroes in space. Also, it's arguably one of the greatest sci-films ever made. GOTG is nowhere near the same conversation circles that Alien is in, but it is easily among the MCU's cream of the crop. Shame about Chris Pratt though.

Fast & Furious (2009), like Age of Ultron, is the movie in the franchise that no one really talks about or remembers because it was pretty bad.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids because the kids shrink and one of them befriends an ant. Also because Rick Moranis has some truly great/memorable moments in the film.

quote:

Phase 3
Fast Five (2011)
Inception (2010)
Aliens (1986)
Spider-Man (2002)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
Walking Tall (2004)
Fast and Furious 6 (2013)
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997)
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
Furious 7 (2015)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Fast Five. The greatest entry and crown jewel of The Fast and Furious Saga. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Fast Five is what The Avengers wishes it could have been. However here in this list, the film stands in for Captain America: Civil War. Why? Because it introduces The Rock as an antagonist of sorts, who proves to be a worthy adversary to our heroes Paul Walker, Sung Kang, Tyrese Gibson, and Vin Diesel. Civil War could also have easily been titled "Avengers: Civil War" with how many characters from other franchises show up in. Fast Five reflects upon that idea by including all four of our main heroes, as well as secondary and tertiary characters from other entries in the Fast saga.

Inception. Bendy buildings are trippy. Mind's eye. Google "Doctor Strange Inception" etc., etc. Both are well directed films with fun action that share a similar aesthetic despite being on different spectrums of the sci-fi genre. They compliment one another really well imo, and both are two films I've seen and enjoyed multiple times.

Aliens—a rag tag group of heroes in space. Also, it's arguably one of the greatest sci-films ever made. GOTG2 is nowhere near the same conversation circles that Aliens is in, which makes sense because it is, imo, one of the worst MCU films. Like, GOTG2 is as bad as Aliens is good. And Aliens is really loving good.

MCU Spider-Man isn't Spider-Man imo. He's Iron Man Jr., or Iron Boy. Whatever. Sam Raimi made films that are more true to the character's roots that should be required viewing for any Spider-Man/comic book genre fan. Spider-Man (2002) isn't the best Spider-Man movie, but it's decent and its story doesn't suffer under the weight of a cinematic universe.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon. To be honest I just put this here because it's the third film in the Transformers franchise. That's the parallel. It being a third film. Also I think Tyrese Gibson is in this one, but I can't remember. Lol. [edit] Actually Bumblebee (2018) might be a good fit because it was super well received compared to other films in its series, much like how Ragnarok had a much better reception than the previous Thor movies.

Walking Tall centers on The Rock, who we were introduced to in Fast Five. Here we see The Rock's character return to his hometown but then is brutally ousted by the corrupt governance that has overtaken it. The Rock eventually becomes Sheriff and wins over the town again. I originally put The Scorpion King in this spot to stand in for Black Panther, but I liked Walking Tall better.

And now we get to the stand in for Avengers: Infinity War. Fast and Furious 6. At this point, it should be obvious I'm really just slotting in Fast and Furious movies where Avengers-esque movies were released in their respective MCU phases. But THIS time, The Rock is now a good guy and has joined the not-Avengers crew with Paul Walker, Sung Kang, Tyrese Gibson, and Vin Diesel.

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves is about as good a sequel as Ant-Man and the Wasp is. And by that I mean it's not really good. Both were mediocre follow ups to their easily superior predecessors. Hence, why I chose it. Also people shrink.

Alita: Battle Angel was one of my top films of 2019, and is one of my absolute favorite films of all time. I admittedly do have a bias as I grew up having watched the anime OVA countless times, and have read the original 9 volume manga several times over, but god drat this movie owns something fierce. I won't excessively gush over the film here (I've done so plenty in its own CineD thread), but the reason this film stands in for Captain Marvel is because of what the film represents: it's a movie helmed by a Latino director, with a WOC as the lead whose character's sole mission is to destroy the oppressive 1%. Alita empowers both feminist ideals and racial diversity in ways not many other female led films do. Alita: Battle Angel is a beautifully transhumanist epic that deserves to be seen by everyone.

And now to Avengers: Endgame, where we've reached Furious 7 on my curated list. Here, we see the culmination of Paul Walker's arc in the Fast Saga. And in the end, we part ways with his great character in a genuinely affecting tribute aptly called The Last Ride.

Far From Home is the worst Spider-Man movie for me (I've gone into great lengths explaining why in the Far From Home thread). In contrast, Spider-Man 2 is imo, arguably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made and easily the best live-action Spider-Man movie.
_

I started to just go through the motions as I went on with my explanations for most entries, which is sort of how the MCU has chugged along with each subsequent film I think. Pretty meta if you ask me.

[edit] This also might very well be the longest post I've ever made on this forum. Lmao at the loving content.

[edit 2] grammar

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 12, 2020