Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

pseudanonymous posted:

What is a dragon?

A miserable pile of scales.

And now for something completely different: I recently finished The Descent by Jeff Long, which I hadn't read since like the year it came out. It holds up pretty well. It's a sci-horror with a premise that just charms me: the discovery and exploration of a sprawling labyrinth of tunnels beneath the earth's surface that turn out to have a demonic humanoid race living inside them. The character-level drama is pretty good, and way more importantly the top-down exploration of how the world would deal with literally discovering a tunnel to Hell is well thought-out and the ideas are well-deployed. Long has worked in both mountaineering and government and his expertise makes it all sound terrifically plausible.

The parts that didn't hold up as well as you'd expect are... well, about what you'd expect from a Dude Book of that era: the female protag has some issues that border on Cliche Woman Stuff, the villains are kinda rapey, and it has whiffs of an underlying pro-interventionist message that reminds me a lot of pre-9/11 superhero stories.

Still, despite the complaints above, I enjoyed it and not many folks seem to have heard of it, possibly because they confuse it with the film of the same name or assume it's a novel that film was based on.

What really charmed me is the exquisite detail that Long goes into about the subterranean environments and how he describes them differently when writing from the POV of the 'demons' vs the humans who are exploring them the first time. The book's full of nice little touches like that and it's a quick, entertaining read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star #1) by Marlon James - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DP5W1LT/

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheAardvark posted:

If nothing else I loved the shark substory. I'm a huge sucker for books with multiple semi-connected stories, though. I loved the first 2 Hyperion books.

I'm in the minority here because I liked the Endymion books, too.

I will reread the whole series every few years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I recall in the 80s there being a surge in fantasy novels possibly due to D&D.

One thing I remember was seeing how many apostrophes the author could put in their characters' names.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

Read. This. Book. Damnit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mllaneza posted:

Read. This. Book. Damnit.

Why?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ack I just bought Wizard of Earthsea for full price a few days ago. Already finished it. Good book! I could see where other authors lifted from. I’ve been on the hunt for new books about wizards that aren’t urban fantasy and have been pretty disappointed with the offerings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

It's a good book OP.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The first three are good classic fantasy with Taoist influence and beautiful prose, the last three are an incredible example of an author returning to a setting with compassion and purpose to right past wrongs. Or to see what had changed.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Because it's got a dragon in it.

It's about a boy who chooses to go to wizard school and become the most powerful wizard in the world. And its sequel The Tombs of Atuan is about a girl who is forced to become the most powerful priestess in the world's biggest death cult and chooses to leave it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hmmmm. It's been at least a decade since I last tried Earthsea, and it might be time now. Shoutout to the illustrated edition being one of the prettiest looking things I've seen in ages, even if I'd be completely unable to read it in the bathtub.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You can also start with Tombs if the first book isn't grabbing you; they are largely unconnected although the second book spoils and gives some context to an event late in the first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

The first three are good classic fantasy with Taoist influence and beautiful prose, the last three are an incredible example of an author returning to a setting with compassion and purpose to right past wrongs. Or to see what had changed.

It's also one of the few fantasy series with chiefly non-White protagonists.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmmmm. It's been at least a decade since I last tried Earthsea, and it might be time now. Shoutout to the illustrated edition being one of the prettiest looking things I've seen in ages, even if I'd be completely unable to read it in the bathtub.

Tehanu will 100% be your jam but you need the first three books to really "get" what's going on, and I think that General Battuta's description of an author returning to a setting with passion and purpose to right past wrongs particularly applies to this book.

edit: And yeah, what the poster above said...if Wizard of Earthsea isn't quite catching your fancy, try Tombs of Atuan but do see if you can get back into Wizard after the fact.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/see_starling/status/1270427138655584256

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

His Dark Materials (Golden Compass #1) by Philip Pullman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1ICM/

Berserk #1 (manga) by Kentaro Miura - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZJV2VG/

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If anyone reads the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, the newest issue includes my critique partner Holly Messinger's novella Byzantine. It's legitimately one of the best novellas I've ever read. You might know her from her weird western The Curse of Jacob Tracy. I contributed absolutely nothing to this one, save for telling her that it was great.

Here's the pitch from F&SF:

F&SF posted:

Novelist Holly Messinger makes her F&SF debut with an ambitious and vivid historical "gay demon romance" set during the Fall of Constantinople.

Sfsite just did an interview her:

Holly Messinger

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

His Dark Materials (Golden Compass #1) by Philip Pullman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1ICM/

Berserk #1 (manga) by Kentaro Miura - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZJV2VG/

Wow. I’d pick up Berserk for my kindle if they were all that cheap. Too bad the first few volumes are quite bad.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Is it enjoyable to read a comic on a kindle? I've had a bad time trying to zoom and pan illustrations in books and I can't imagine its fun applying that to a book that is entirely pictures.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is alright on a large tablet. On a regular kindle reader it is unbearable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Poldarn posted:

Is it enjoyable to read a comic on a kindle? I've had a bad time trying to zoom and pan illustrations in books and I can't imagine its fun applying that to a book that is entirely pictures.

The comics I've read on an iPad (non-Mini) have been fine. It starts with the whole page visible, then you double tap the first panel, it zooms to just that, then you swipe between panels, zooming out for each new page. It works surprisingly well. You get the glory of the full layout, plus you can see each panel zoomed in. And the app does the zoom for you !

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That makes more sense on a tablet, I was thinking a Paperwhite or something.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The climax of the final Malazan book features a dragon made of dragons which should satisfy anyone who felt the rest of the series was unsufficiently dragon-y

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Poldarn posted:

Western comics are pretty terrible for an E-reader, but a lot of Manga is released as paperback sized black and white, so I would imagine works well on a paperwhite.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The climax of the final Malazan book features a dragon made of dragons which should satisfy anyone who felt the rest of the series was unsufficiently dragon-y

What dragon isn't made of dragons?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

What dragon isn't made of dragons?

Dragons plural. Your basic dragon only has a dragon:dragon ratio of 1.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Undead dragons should count as 2:1 imo

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Depends. A skeleton dragon is giving you objectively less dragon per dragon.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What is the conversion ratio of kilograms to dragons? My worthless U.S. education has failed me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So Voltron?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bujold's Curse of Chalion is $2.99 on Kindle. A great starting place for the Five Gods setting.

https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Chalion-Lois-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B000FC11AQ/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Bujold's Curse of Chalion is $2.99 on Kindle. A great starting place for the Five Gods setting.

https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Chalion-Lois-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B000FC11AQ/

Also a great standalone in its own right!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
What do people here think of the self published fantasy blog off and its winners?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Published_Fantasy_Blog-Off

I just read Blood of Heirs and its sequel and I was actuallydecently impressed. Reminded me a bit of Robin Hobb. On the other hand, I was quite dissapointed with The Grey Bastards.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother's birthday is upcoming and while I have some gifts lined up for him, it never hurts to check: are there any cool books about dragons? And I mean: dragons as main characters, dragons as badasses, dragons as a central focus. He doesn't mind if they're evil, but he wants them to be cool alien-esque scaly winged badasses who influence the plot. One of his favorites is Deathwing from the warcraft universe, for an example.

General background: he doesn't read much but he has read both This Alien Shore by CS Friedman and Hyperion and he loved them both.

I know this is late but I always liked the Enchanted Forest books by Patricia Wrede. The first one is Talking To Dragons (though it was apparently rewritten to be read last at some point because it's chronologically the last book) and is about the son of the protagonist of the prequels. They are good and have good dragons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dealing_with_Dragons

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The mail came today! :toot:

Put this under books I never expected to exist they seem so surreal, and translated by Le Guin to boot!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I've never heard of that book before but literally every aspect of the cover has me interested.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

I've never heard of that book before but literally every aspect of the cover has me interested.

Here's a neat tor.com article on the book!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Recursion by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDSHP7N/

I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVCHEMU/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother's birthday is upcoming and while I have some gifts lined up for him, it never hurts to check: are there any cool books about dragons? And I mean: dragons as main characters, dragons as badasses, dragons as a central focus. He doesn't mind if they're evil, but he wants them to be cool alien-esque scaly winged badasses who influence the plot. One of his favorites is Deathwing from the warcraft universe, for an example.

General background: he doesn't read much but he has read both This Alien Shore by CS Friedman and Hyperion and he loved them both.

If they like dragons with lots of power, use people like pawns, and have a ton of influence, maybe some Shadowrun novels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone read the Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? I am like 2/3 of the way through and the creepy male writer fantasy sex stuff seems to have really ramped up.

There are like half a dozen middle aged, slightly out of shape men with much younger, hot wives (or mistresses, harems, whatever). We get really detailed discussions of exactly how sexy and taut random women are. There’s a ton of random sketchy stuff like this. But then....

There is an entire POV character where we just learn about how he uses his access to police databases to stalk women he wants to date in really violating ways. That character is presented more as a single young dude’s fantasy, not a complete creep. These POV sections; as far as I can tell, almost overwhelmingly have nothing to do with the plot and don’t advance it at all, so I’m not even really sure it needs any spoiler tags.

E: does this somehow turn around and someone else realizes how lovely it is? Like, I get that someone can write a character who is an rear end in a top hat and does things they don’t agree with, but I’m struggling to see that here.

Like, I actually like the book on a high level, this stuff very very much excepted. But wtf?

tildes fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 12, 2020