Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I think I'm finally getting close to being able to pull the trigger on my remaining components... hoping to get a check on how these are looking.

I know the processor & nvme drive don't make a lot of sense but I have a really good price on those which is why I'm going Intel.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 760p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT AER RGB 2 52.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($36.98 @ B&H)
Case Fan: NZXT AER RGB 2 Starter Pack 91.19 CFM 140 mm Fans
Keyboard: Logitech G512 CARBON Wired Gaming Keyboard

I'm still weighing 2060 super vs. 2070 super so I'd love some input on which direction to go there

also still trying to figure out if I'd be fine with a 650w or 700w PSU and where I even go to find PSU's during this shortage or if I just have to wait until supply catches up.

and trying to track down a 2 pack/starter kit for the aer rgb 140mm's to get the controller with the fans. If I'm not doing any overclocking should I be sitting alright with two 140mm's on front and one 120mm on back? Hoping to use the solid top on my case but I could add another 120mm on the bottom if it seems like I'd benefit from more airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a build in a case that's no deeper than 14" (front of the case to the back where the cables are). No drives or other components in the case (going to use a single m2). I currently have an EVGA 1070 SC that I would like to use in it for the time being, though I plan to upgrade to Nvidia new offering whenever that comes. As an extra bonus, if it could fit in a size that's 14" deep x 12" tall I'd consider that as well. This will be a gaming PC so I need performance.

I don't need all the components, just the case / CPU / motherboard. Price will end up being maybe $1500 or so, not really particular about it.

I'm not particularly Intel/AMD focused, but I will stick with Nvidia GPUS.

If it matters, the case is going in a credenza beneath my TV which is where the size restriction comes from (TV as primary monitor).

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Was going to post about your discount on the 9900, but reading your history it seems like you know you are *actually* getting a good deal on it and it's worth it over Ryzen. If you are aiming for high refresh 1440p, absolutely bump up to the 2070S. 2 large intakes and 1 out the back will be perfectly fine. Fan controllers are meh in my opinion, but if that's what you want to use/do, then go for it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I know this is a terrible time to build a new PC but my current computer is over 5 years old and I want to replace it before it breaks because I need it for work.

Uses:
Streaming games/videos/webcam for twitch etc
Encoding/editing video files
Playing games - I do want to play current games

Budget is $1600 for the PC plus another $300-400 for the main monitor

What should I be looking for?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a build in a case that's no deeper than 14" (front of the case to the back where the cables are). No drives or other components in the case (going to use a single m2). I currently have an EVGA 1070 SC that I would like to use in it for the time being, though I plan to upgrade to Nvidia new offering whenever that comes. As an extra bonus, if it could fit in a size that's 14" deep x 12" tall I'd consider that as well. This will be a gaming PC so I need performance.

I don't need all the components, just the case / CPU / motherboard. Price will end up being maybe $1500 or so, not really particular about it.

If it matters, the case is going in a credenza beneath my TV which is where the size restriction comes from (TV as primary monitor).

Do you have the case now and are looking for components or are you looking for the case as well?

Have you considered mini-ITX? I know reddit's sffpc has several examples of mini-ITX builds that can incorporate a full size video card.

Options like the ncase M1, InWin A1, SGPC K77, and Fractal Design Era ITX (I've not seen good reviews of the Fractal option however) come to mind.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Klyith posted:

G with a number: excellent
GA: ok but inferior to a Corsair RM(x) or seasonic Focus Gold
GD: not great, but also not awful. Gold efficiency but poor components. Similar to the Corsair CX non-M as an ok budget purchase.

B5 & BQ: not awful
BR: awful

also good luck finding stock, you probably want to look beyond EVGA because it's take whatever you can get right now.

Thanks so much!

Looks like he found a G5 SuperNOVA with a week backlog, so that's not TERRIBLE. I was able to loan him a spare Corsair AX from like 9 years ago with 6.5 years of runtime on it; I told him I didn't necessarily trust it, but he seemed willing to take that risk until the EVGA one arrived.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Was going to post about your discount on the 9900, but reading your history it seems like you know you are *actually* getting a good deal on it and it's worth it over Ryzen. If you are aiming for high refresh 1440p, absolutely bump up to the 2070S. 2 large intakes and 1 out the back will be perfectly fine. Fan controllers are meh in my opinion, but if that's what you want to use/do, then go for it.

if it's not needed I won't bother, I just assumed that's what I would need to take advantage of the individually addressable LED's in the NZXT Aer fans. If my mobo should control the lighting alright then cool.

and yeah, the discounts for the 9900 and 2TB 760p are substantial.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PRADA SLUT posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($225.08 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone SG13 V2 Mini ITX Tower Case ($50.22 @ Amazon)
Total: $549.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 15:58 EDT-0400

I used an older version of this case for a tiny build before, it's a BITCH to build in unless you tear it completely apart and assemble it section by section, but it will take 2 slot video cards up to 266mm long (or longer if you use a 120mm instead of 140mm case fan.) They can take ATX power supplies but for your sanity you probably want to use a more compact SFX modular power supply instead.

I doubt the stock AMD cooler will fit, this might be a scenario where a 120mm AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120 is actually worth doing for once, because fitting a decent heat sink in that thing is uh not impossible but a huge PITA and the airflow in these tiny cases is just not good. The video card just sucks outside air through the perforated side panel and spits it out the back, so that's not an issue in this case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/e5y5c5/sg13_arctic_liquid_freezer_ii_120_experience/

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 16, 2020

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

SopWATh posted:

Do you have the case now and are looking for components or are you looking for the case as well?

Have you considered mini-ITX? I know reddit's sffpc has several examples of mini-ITX builds that can incorporate a full size video card.

Options like the ncase M1, InWin A1, SGPC K77, and Fractal Design Era ITX (I've not seen good reviews of the Fractal option however) come to mind.

Don't have anything - I want to build a new PC from scratch and use my old PC to assist with streaming/stream media etc

I like fractal design but I have enough space for an ATX - (this is my old PCs case https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-r5-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352048

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

clockworkjoe posted:

Don't have anything - I want to build a new PC from scratch and use my old PC to assist with streaming/stream media etc

I like fractal design but I have enough space for an ATX - (this is my old PCs case https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-r5-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352048

I know nothing about streaming to the internet, have you looked at those streaming add-on card things? If you just want a media server, I've seen lots of good things about plex.

Otherwise go with the forums standard 3600, B450 (maybe 550 now, IDK yet) and 16GB ram.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SopWATh posted:

I know nothing about streaming to the internet, have you looked at those streaming add-on card things? If you just want a media server, I've seen lots of good things about plex.

Otherwise go with the forums standard 3600, B450 (maybe 550 now, IDK yet) and 16GB ram.

B550 are priced like X570 and not in stock anyway so it's kind of a non option at the moment.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I have little idea of what I'm doing

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Purple 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($252.50 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: VIOTEK GN27D 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($269.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1783.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 17:25 EDT-0400

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dafuq are you doing with a 10tb hard drive? And moreover, are you adequately prepared for losing / restoring all that data when it dies?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

clockworkjoe posted:

I have little idea of what I'm doing

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Purple 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($252.50 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1783.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 17:25 EDT-0400

It's not too far off from the list I was putting together:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA SU760 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card ($394.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: FSP Group Hydro GE 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1929.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 17:55 EDT-0400

Because of the lack of motherboard and other parts' availability, I think still getting pre-ordering a B550 board before it would ship in a few days is the way to go purchasing for this moment. The Freezer 34 is better than the Evo, the SSD isn't using inferior QLC memory, the video card and PSU are actually in stock, etc. You can still get a full-size ATX case if you want, I just used the mATX because the motherboard was. The RAID 1 idea I have with two drives would at least keep your data in case of a single drive failure, but if something took out both of them you'd still lose data like Some Goon said. Consider other solutions, especially because both of the drive bays in your case would be occupied if you need crazier amounts of storage in the future.

E: The date for the motherboard on Amazon went from Friday to next week, but it's still probably less of a hassle to pre-order something than stalk around waiting for restocks.

demostars fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 16, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($204.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $819.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 17:58 EDT-0400

I found almost all the parts cheaper than this lists. My i5-6600k system is having heating issues and other problems, so I want to get this while I have the opportunity. I'll probably upgrade the processor in 2-3 years.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Some Goon posted:

Dafuq are you doing with a 10tb hard drive? And moreover, are you adequately prepared for losing / restoring all that data when it dies?

I run several podcasts and want to record my streaming videos. I'm also beginning to rip my blu ray and DVD collection.

I have multiple online backup services including carbonite and one drive.

Griz
May 21, 2001

the regular 212 EVO doesn't include the AM4 bracket and Cooler Master has apparently stopped making the upgrade kit.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I've built multiple PCs since 2002ish and I'd say it's way less fiddly than it used to be. The main problem before COVID messed everything up in the supply chain was choosing from the insane variety of good quality parts.

The supply chain for parts is inane now but depending on who you believe it should get more or less unfucked this summer. Or the epidemic wipes us out and then who cares. :sun:

B550 prices are dumb as poo poo right now, paying $280 for a B550 when you get get excellent X570 boards for less makes no sense at all. If they drop to somewhere between B450 and X570 then they'd start to make sense.

And a 2070 Super should give you clearly better performance than a PS4 Pro and, depending on what rumors you believe, just a bit under the alleged PS5 spec.

Alright, I went the DIY route. Went with the 2070S and found an Asus Prime X570-P that was $150, on your advice. No Wifi or Bluetooth but I don't really give a poo poo. Also found an EVGA 80+ GOLD 550W power supply. It definitely isn't Nintendo Switch-levels of difficulty finding things, seems more like "wait 30 mins, refresh the page and don't have your heart set on a particular brand."

I'm loving stoked; cheap 2-day shipping is another thing they didn't really have back in 2002.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Griz posted:

the regular 212 EVO doesn't include the AM4 bracket and Cooler Master has apparently stopped making the upgrade kit.

CM updated the 212 evo with AM4 (and in fact an all-new mounting system that doesn't suck like the classic 212 evo did), but didn't change the product name.

Any that you get from amazon or newegg say AM4 on the compatibility list and will work fine.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

clockworkjoe posted:

I run several podcasts and want to record my streaming videos. I'm also beginning to rip my blu ray and DVD collection.

Very good, just wanted to make sure you weren't going all in on a single point of failure, it's a lesson you only need to learn once.

And, while you've got this covered, to anyone else reading this: services that auto-sync your files (like Google drive) are not adequate forms of backup for irreplaceable data since if a file gets damaged/corrupted/cryptolocked they're all too happy to sync the unusable version of the file.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k, as it's starting to frequently get maxed out and cause my computer to start hitching.

I'm thinking about switching to a 9700K, or the next step above with 16 threads. Would either of those be a significant improvement to the 7700K? The benchmarks I've been finding seem to be unclear and with varying results depending on where I look.

(Also, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard too, as I don't have a 300 series chipset. Anyone got any recommendations that arent sold out on Amazon?)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Umbreon posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my 7700k, as it's starting to frequently get maxed out and cause my computer to start hitching.

I'm thinking about switching to a 9700K, or the next step above with 16 threads. Would either of those be a significant improvement to the 7700K? The benchmarks I've been finding seem to be unclear and with varying results depending on where I look.

(Also, I'll need to upgrade my motherboard too, as I don't have a 300 series chipset. Anyone got any recommendations that arent sold out on Amazon?)

What's your PC for?

It might not be worth upgrading really. If you haven't done it already maybe just get a nice cooler and OC it.

If you want to upgrade then AMD is a better choice than Intel for most people IMO.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Umbreon posted:

Maxed out in what? A 7700K has 8 threads, it still should be pretty good for gaming especially if you've OC'ed it.

If you're changing out the mobo, buying a 9700K right now is a terrible value. The new 10600K will be the same thing for $100 less as soon as they become more available.

A 10600K is a decent choice for a PC that's focused 100% on gaming performance. If you have non-gaming productivity a 3700X is better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

sean10mm posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($225.08 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone SG13 V2 Mini ITX Tower Case ($50.22 @ Amazon)
Total: $549.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 15:58 EDT-0400

I used an older version of this case for a tiny build before, it's a BITCH to build in unless you tear it completely apart and assemble it section by section, but it will take 2 slot video cards up to 266mm long (or longer if you use a 120mm instead of 140mm case fan.) They can take ATX power supplies but for your sanity you probably want to use a more compact SFX modular power supply instead.

I doubt the stock AMD cooler will fit, this might be a scenario where a 120mm AIO like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120 is actually worth doing for once, because fitting a decent heat sink in that thing is uh not impossible but a huge PITA and the airflow in these tiny cases is just not good. The video card just sucks outside air through the perforated side panel and spits it out the back, so that's not an issue in this case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/e5y5c5/sg13_arctic_liquid_freezer_ii_120_experience/

Is there any real performance hit going Mini ITX besides fewer RAM slots? I'm not going to OC or anything.

clockworkjoe posted:

Not specifically about PC building, but it might worth considering a Synology DS218+ and two drives for it for a NAS. I use one of those and some cold storage for large media files

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any real performance hit going Mini ITX besides fewer RAM slots? I'm not going to OC or anything.

Shouldn't be any real world difference.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65813

should be a sufficient power supply to do a 3600 and a next-gen nvidia card (like a 3070 or whatever the name is for that model) when they come out, right?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

revised build:

Changed the motherboard to a 550 and got a different case

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.92 @ Newegg)
Total: $1878.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 22:41 EDT-0400

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Verviticus posted:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65813

should be a sufficient power supply to do a 3600 and a next-gen nvidia card (like a 3070 or whatever the name is for that model) when they come out, right?

Absolutely. The corsair TX is a good PSU.

The intel 660p is a QLC drive. That's not awful, but they get slower as they fill up and are generally more suited for a secondary / mostly-reads drive.

An inland premium or WD SN750 are only $15 more and well worth the small extra cost.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Anything I'm overlooking with this build? I haven't messed with building a PC in like four years. Max is $1,000 USD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($166.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card ($265.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $967.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-17 02:04 EDT-0400

Enigma fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 17, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enigma posted:

Anything I'm overlooking with this build?

see post directly previous to yours

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Klyith posted:

see post directly previous to yours

Thank you! Updated my list with the WD SSD.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

CPU is 91 degrees running folding@home - seems pretty hot to me, right?

I'm going to reseat the heatsink/fan tonight since I think I may have used too much paste. I had to clean off the stock paste and reinstall since Canada computers tried to sell me a DOA mobo that was so old it hadn't been shipped with the bios update. Any recommendations on a non terrible to install aftermarket cooler?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Depends on what CPU, your case, CPU cooler, case fans, (OC) settings etc.

Intel CPUs don't even start throttling until 100°C, for an ITX build 91°C under intentionally heavy CPU loads would be alright. If you have a huge tower with 140mm case fans and a heatsink the size of a baby's head, 91°C is bad.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I guess it's a good time to ask, because it's one of my concerns with an ITX build, especially the sandwich style cases I'm looking at - with a Ryzen 3600 and a top end GPU, is it gonna be running too hot? What is 'too hot' anyway and how does it negatively affect performance or lifespan or whatever? Or is it more about fan noise?

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Sorry it's a ryzen 3600. Stock fan but a pretty airy case. I'll check the auto OC settings also they may be letting it get this high.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

F@H also just runs CPUs really hot. My 3600 was pushing into the 90s with a wraith max in a well-ventilated case, while it never got much above 80 in benchmarks.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Would an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus be fine for a 3950x? It seems to be well reviewed and a bit of a bargain compared to other x570 boards but it does have Realtek LAN instead of Intel.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rollie Fingers posted:

Would an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus be fine for a 3950x? It seems to be well reviewed and a bit of a bargain compared to other x570 boards but it does have Realtek LAN instead of Intel.

If you go by the vrm vcore spreadsheets made by AMD lovers on reddit it's the cheapest board that's green across the board under heavy loads up to what you'd expect from an OC'd 3950X.

Its main practical downside is minimal front panel USB headers because it sticks a jillion ports on the back and no front panel USB-C header.

e: Here it is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

Just realize that the stock 3950X line is like 100A on their table, meaning a B450 Thomahawk Max is green for that too. The higher numbers basically only matter if you want something overbuilt for the heck of it, or if you're seriously OC'ing the higher TDP CPUs.

Which for AMD kind of seems pointless IMO.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 17, 2020

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Quick sanity check: I'm putting together a parts list for a friend. Priorities are "1440p gaming at 60FPS", "as low-budget as is reasonably possible", and "maybe some video editing for fun, later, maybe".

Am I doing him a horrible disservice by recommending him a 3300X/1660 Super combo with a 16 gig dual-channel kit of 3000 MT/s RAM? (there's this one kit that's priced down with all the 2400 kits, is why i'm gunning for that one specifically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

sean10mm posted:

If you go by the vrm vcore spreadsheets made by AMD lovers on reddit it's the cheapest board that's green across the board under heavy loads up to what you'd expect from an OC'd 3950X.

Its main practical downside is minimal front panel USB headers because it sticks a jillion ports on the back and no front panel USB-C header.

e: Here it is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

Just realize that the stock 3950X line is like 100A on their table, meaning a B450 Thomahawk Max is green for that too. The higher numbers basically only matter if you want something overbuilt for the heck of it, or if you're seriously OC'ing the higher TDP CPUs.

Which for AMD kind of seems pointless IMO.

Thanks, that's a useful spreadsheet. I think I'll get the Asus. The price/performance combo is pretty good and I won't be overclocking. The lack of USB-C front panel isn't really a problem for me.