Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
as much as the flexi-click attachment scheme kind of annoys me, the offset drill and right angle drill heads for the Bosch 12v are so, so, SO useful. Holy poo poo, everyone should have a drill like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Can any arborists (or chainsaw carvers! Where are those at?) speak on ms192-194 and a dime tip set up?

Tim Thomas posted:

as much as the flexi-click attachment scheme kind of annoys me, the offset drill and right angle drill heads for the Bosch 12v are so, so, SO useful. Holy poo poo, everyone should have a drill like this.

What do you find yourself using them for?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Am I smoking crack?

I think I might have been half asleep, but I'd swear I heard on the radio something about a milwaukee tool, portable combination fan/heater/air conditioner. Not cordless obviously. It was supposed to be good for up to 600 square feet apparently. I checked on both the Canadian and USA Milwaukee websites and didn't see anything. I'm not looking to buy one, just was kinda intrigued by the concept.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Am I smoking crack?

I think I might have been half asleep, but I'd swear I heard on the radio something about a milwaukee tool, portable combination fan/heater/air conditioner. Not cordless obviously. It was supposed to be good for up to 600 square feet apparently. I checked on both the Canadian and USA Milwaukee websites and didn't see anything. I'm not looking to buy one, just was kinda intrigued by the concept.

There's a Milwaukee portable jobsite fan, but I don't think there's anything about heating elements. It does have an AC adapter (as in, AC power) so maybe you just jumbled up that and something about it being hot?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I shouldn't get a Shaper Origin, right? Excessive? I can already feel cakesmith's disapproval.

It would be a big toy purchase for sure.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jaded Burnout posted:

I shouldn't get a Shaper Origin, right? Excessive? I can already feel cakesmith's disapproval.

You should get one so I can live vicariously through you. I used one in 2014 at maker Faire when it was 3D printed handles and a dewalt router (iirc) and was very impressed

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 14, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Nevets posted:

I bought a pair of similarly designed sawhorses a couple years ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368

They work well, but admittedly I've only moved them around a couple times and mostly used them as table legs to rest my chopsaw on.

Holy poo poo, thank you. These look great and with some 2x4's and plywood this solves my need for workbench

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I buddy of mine had one and he said it was great, but-

It took a while to set up for each part, and so it wasn't great for production/repetitive stuff. It was great to make a very accurate pattern/jig, but then it was faster and easier to make the other parts by more conventional means (flush trim rout to the pattern etc). He also said it was pretty slow and incredibly boring to operate, and you can't walk away and let it run like a conventional CNC router

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Just spent the last two days trying to get an office chair cylinder out of both the tilt mechanism and wheel base.

Finally just took the tilt mechanism off, popped the plastic top off, and used a punch to drive it out. Had tried a pipe wrench, hammering on the mechanism while lifting, and a cheater bar on that pipe wrench and couldn't get it to budge. Half dozen wacks on the top with a hammer/punch and it was free.

The wheel base I had to cut a 2" whole in some 2x4 scrap to support the base and just hammered the poo poo out of the cylinder until it came out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Just spent the last two days trying to get an office chair cylinder out of both the tilt mechanism and wheel base.

Finally just took the tilt mechanism off, popped the plastic top off, and used a punch to drive it out. Had tried a pipe wrench, hammering on the mechanism while lifting, and a cheater bar on that pipe wrench and couldn't get it to budge. Half dozen wacks on the top with a hammer/punch and it was free.

The wheel base I had to cut a 2" whole in some 2x4 scrap to support the base and just hammered the poo poo out of the cylinder until it came out.

Was this an aeron by any chance? I've heard they're notoriously difficult to remove from them which is why I've been putting it off for over a year.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jaded Burnout posted:

Was this an aeron by any chance? I've heard they're notoriously difficult to remove from them which is why I've been putting it off for over a year.

It was this guy: https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I started painting a fence today with a brush and realized it loving sucked and I don't want to do that. I think a sprayer would be significantly better, but trying to sort out what makes sense for my use (exterior paints) leads me to all kinds of affiliate marketing bullshit. Does anyone have a decent-quality sprayer recommendation?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

I started painting a fence today with a brush and realized it loving sucked and I don't want to do that. I think a sprayer would be significantly better, but trying to sort out what makes sense for my use (exterior paints) leads me to all kinds of affiliate marketing bullshit. Does anyone have a decent-quality sprayer recommendation?

Decent? No. But unless you have a whole lot of fence you just buy this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paint-sprayers/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-63452.html

And throw it away when you're done.

Note: you need to do the entire fence at one time. You'll never be able to clean it properly, the paint will dry and it will be garbage.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TacoHavoc posted:

I picked up a Wagner airless sprayer, forget what model, but it was 80ish bucks, and it has served me well. Put a nice finish on my kitchen cabinets when I repainted them, and I also was able to repaint my shed (with exterior paint) in about half an hour with it. It's obviously a step down from a proper paint sprayer, but it'll paint a fence all day long.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Table saw has arrived. gently caress that thing's heavy. I'm so done with getting heavy machinery delivered.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just wait until you want to get rid of it and some goober turns up in a hatchback on his own expecting you to do magic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just wait until you want to get rid of it and some goober turns up in a hatchback on his own expecting you to do magic.

Honestly? That would be OK. It's not unmanageably heavy for two people. But I'm one of the younger generation on this street and all the neighbours I'm pally with have degenerative diseases or herniated discs, so I don't want to put undue strain on them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My dad passed away a couple of years ago and he wanted me to have anything out of his workshop, so on one of my trips down there to help my mom I piled up everything that I wanted. Every time my mom drives up to see the kids she fits as much as she can in the car.

This is gonna take a while to organize, some of the stuff is upgrades for tools I already have. She’s gonna need some help to load it in the car on the next trip, but next up is a shop 60gal air compressor. :getin:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Decent? No. But unless you have a whole lot of fence you just buy this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paint-sprayers/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-63452.html

And throw it away when you're done.

Note: you need to do the entire fence at one time. You'll never be able to clean it properly, the paint will dry and it will be garbage.

I thought you were going to post their knockoff airless- https://www.harborfreight.com/airless-paint-sprayer-kit-60600.html?_br_psugg_q=airless+paint+sprayer
and throw it away, or flip it when you're done sounded pretty reasonable also.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

I sold a wood lathe and the dude showed up in an SUV. We got it in but if it wasn't a struggle

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What do you find yourself using them for?
The offset head is worth the price of admission alone to the point where I’ve thought about finding one to replace the Jacobs chuck on another 18V I have. Being able to get basically flush to a vertical surface is absolutely gamechanging for assembly work and cabinet work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Of course you spend two grand on a table saw and it comes with missing hardware. Just throw extras in, what are you doing. Even cheap stuff does that now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TacoHavoc posted:

A few years ago I purchased the HF airless paint sprayer to redo my garage, and although I know it violates the prime directive to never buy a corded product from Harbor Freight, that thing is absolute tits. Spent a whole day priming one side of the garage with a roller, got pissed, bought this, and knocked out all of my priming and painting in one afternoon. Absolutely glorious. On top of that, I did my front porch a few months later and the thing performed flawlessly a second time, and I have no doubt it'll work for the next project. Latex paint is super easy to clean with water and soap, heartily recommend.

I've been catching up on the thread and I saw that there's currently a free twofer battery sale on certain Makita products. I only really ever need a chainsaw 2-3x a year for light to medium junk, and currently need one to level out a 6' stump the flippers next door left on the property line. I'm also tired of fiddling with a handmedown homelite saw that doesn't even have a proper chainbrake safety, so I've been looking real hard at electric chainsaws. Would something like this Makita 16" 36v cordless chainsaw be a good buy in TYOOL 2020, or should I wait for electric saws to get better and stick with a gas model?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's that HF sprayer appropriate for indoor use?

I have a few rooms I want to paint and anything that speeds it up would be nice.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I have a few rooms I want to paint and anything that speeds it up would be nice.

You could... but I would hella prep everything to avoid any overspray, and you need several buckets to dump waste spray and grab cleaning fluid from. I think indoor is probably easier done with a roller and high quality paints. Maybe if you don’t have any furniture and moving in it might be good?

That being said, The spray is decently tight. I suppose a drop cloth and doing all but the last foot or two would be adequate, or better yet just tape the trim. Any paint sprayer needs a high quality respirator and goggles, inside doubly so.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Don't use a sprayer indoors.

Remember that the "correct" way to use a sprayer is to spray on the paint and then roll it out anyways, so it doesn't really save you much time (especially after accounting for all the extra masking and cover-up).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I find that the paint you choose makes the biggest difference in job speed and quality when painting rooms.

I think a goon clued me into Dunn Edwards Sparta Zero and I've used it in every room of my house now and it is great stuff. Big difference compared to the cheapest stuff at Lowe's that my parents always buy.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Crossposting from the woodworking thread (thanks Jaded Burnout).
Might anyone know the brand of this combination square? No visible logo.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the painting advice everyone.

Now I just gave to resist the temptation to go super cheap like I usually do.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hubis posted:

Don't use a sprayer indoors.

Remember that the "correct" way to use a sprayer is to spray on the paint and then roll it out anyways, so it doesn't really save you much time (especially after accounting for all the extra masking and cover-up).

The times I’ve used my airless sprayer, the finished product looks fantastic without any rolling. I wonder if that advice is geared towards sprayers that work with air compressors maybe?

I 100% agree that a sprayer indoors just feels like asking for trouble. Doable I think, but the prep work and cleanup probably mitigates any time savings.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I used an air compressor sprayer to paint the outside of my workshop, and aside from the places where I laid it on too heavy and got some drips, it looks fine without any rolling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I vaguely remember something about rolling after to help the paint bed in to the substrate better, but I've not tested that theory.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Most pros just use a roller and pan. Graco airless sprayers have a roller attachment for just that, which is :discourse: best of both worlds, but Idk about the HF, kinda doubt it.

It's possible a Graco roller would fit on an HF, but ymmv, gowithgod, etc

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Most pros just use a roller and pan.

Most good pros use a roller and pan. "Pros" that are the big shops that come in to repaint empty apartments and stuff using the cheapest possible labor? They send an army of dude in to tape poo poo up and then spray the poo poo out of everything. As you might expect, these are not quality paint jobs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jaded Burnout posted:

I vaguely remember something about rolling after to help the paint bed in to the substrate better, but I've not tested that theory.

Huh, that makes intuitive sense! I googled it, and the term is apparently back rolling, and it’s important for getting the best primer adhesion in new builds.

Thanks, I learned something new today!

E:

Mr. Mambold posted:

Most pros just use a roller and pan. Graco airless sprayers have a roller attachment for just that, which is :discourse: best of both worlds, but Idk about the HF, kinda doubt it.

It's possible a Graco roller would fit on an HF, but ymmv, gowithgod, etc

Looks like it would just attach directly to the nozzle:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Graco-Magnum-9-in-x-1-2-in-Pressure-Paint-Roller-Kit/3078571

Might pick one up and try it out when I redo the house... thanks!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

Most good pros use a roller and pan. "Pros" that are the big shops that come in to repaint empty apartments and stuff using the cheapest possible labor? They send an army of dude in to tape poo poo up and then spray the poo poo out of everything. As you might expect, these are not quality paint jobs.

Also, 'new construction' where the drywall goes in before the flooring does. No tape necessary.

I guess having a poo poo-white subfloor is cool though :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I once got a quote for some interior painting. I asked if he would spray or roll.

The guy said that whoever I ended up hiring, do not hire anyone who says they'll spray.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking at buying a new ~52” tool chest because my tool bench has turned into an archeological dig and I can’t remember which strata the stuff I need has become a part of.

Three years ago I woulda bought the US General chest and called it a day, but drat are there some really nice looking designs out there now. And Craftsman chests are being assembled in the US again? And now even hazard fraught has a high end Icon chest line? What bizarre times we live in.

What’s the hivemind think on tool chests in 2020?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I bought a used Husky, pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I bought a US General 44” for $399 at their last sale, and it’s pretty great. Really solid with nice drawer slides and even comes with pads in each drawer and on top. The 56” seems better for storing more variety of tools of all sizes because it has more tall drawers. The one thing I didn’t like about the 56 was the drawers have a release lever you have to pull to open, but I hear you can just disable it.