Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The resistance just falls so flat compared to the original rebellion. Like the new republic had these guys and just placated them by sending them off against “the bad guys” and whoops the guys were actually bad and blew the new republic up. It just feels like the rebel alliance is the skilled, determined underdog while the resistance are just a bunch screwups who only get anything done because “the force wills it”. It’s so hard to root for them as a group instead of just the generic good vs evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, fascism.......... is bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arist posted:

From my point of view the resistance is bad !

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The rebellion had ambiguous enough coding that it was possible to not necessarily read them as libs. Whereas the resistance asserts every lib signifier in the book, instantly rendering them worthy only of scorn

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DJ being the ultimate winner in Star Wars becomes great in retrospect. The way to win a Star War is to not be in a Star War.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Little Death posted:

Except his argument was never refuted. Why should Finn and Rose fight for the Resistance, why should Rey keep fighting, if both sides just engage in endless war. Like his point that the war profiteers sold weapons to the resistance isn't refuted. The resistance is part of the problem, he presents that idea, and the only answer is I guess "because friends?" or " because light?". It seems to attempt a systemic critique in the Canto Bight segment, and then abandons it, and in doing so garbles the message. Why include this voice of doubt character, have him make a legitimate critique, and then never address it?
It was never refuted because it's true: the Resistance brought weapons from people who were willing to sell them. DJ seems to think both sides do it knowingly and that the war is a game to the people in it, but the movie itself shows one side dedicating itself fully to annihilating the other and almost succeeding, so I'm not certain he's correct.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Arist posted:

Yea I guess that’s part of my point. The only reason to root for the resistance is that are again literal fascists, even more so than the original empire....Probably, I don’t remember a lot of details from the sequels honestly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Perhaps RJ's treatment for the third movie was going to pay off the war profiteering aspect and DJ and newly woke Finn. Guess we'll never know now.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Did he ever do one? Someone asked him about it on twitter back when Trevorrow was doing it and he said he hadn't been involved with writing IX at all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Saving what we love" while the Resistance explodes in the background is never not hysterical

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Did he ever do one? Someone asked him about it on twitter back when Trevorrow was doing it and he said he hadn't been involved with writing IX at all.

Yeah the first draft and a bunch of concept art got leaked online, I'm pretty sure most of it got linked in the thread at some point

edit:
Don't know if linking the script directly counts as :filez: but here's a gallery of a bunch of the concept art
https://imgur.com/gallery/GwFZReL

OctoberCountry fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 19, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

OctoberCountry posted:

Yeah the first draft and a bunch of concept art got leaked online, I'm pretty sure most of it got linked in the thread at some point

I think that was actually Trevorrow’s script wasn’t it? I don’t know if RJ was ever even supposed to do a script, but I thought I remembered at some point he was supposed to at least outline the third movie.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

I think that was actually Trevorrow’s script wasn’t it? I don’t know if RJ was ever even supposed to do a script, but I thought I remembered at some point he was supposed to at least outline the third movie.

Oh poo poo, I thought he meant Trevorrow not Johnson. Sorry

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently there were reports that Johnson would be doing a treatment for 9 when he was hired to do 8, but that was in 2014 so things likely changed once Trevorrow was brought on board in 2015.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vinylshadow posted:

"Saving what we love" while the Resistance explodes in the background is never not hysterical

Pictured: The Resistance?

I know this comes off as glib, but there's really a substantial difference between the First Order successfully blowing up a big door and them killing the Resistance, even if one is supposed to facilitate the other.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vinylshadow posted:

It’s a door

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Arist posted:

Right, but (presumably) the first order isn't the reason literal slave children exist on Canto Bight. The fascism of the first order is overt and almost comically exaggerated, though strictly speaking we don't actually know who they are trying to oppress or annihilate because Disney would never code their space fascists as actually racist or eliminationist of any particular group. They just nebulosity hate freedom, because then you can still cosplay as the villain without it seeming like you are dressing up as an interstellar Nazi. But there's every indication that the Republic is full of structural violence and oppression.

DJ's point, and indeed the point of Canto Bight, is that in spite of all the fighting and bloodshed, the oppressive structure remains. So yes, is there a point in dying for the resistance if the Republic they served was just a more subtle brand of evil?

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 19, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a door

Did Rose know that? Did Finn? They didn't know that Rey was going to follow the ice foxes and move some rocks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Despite Kylo Ren's desire to kill the Resistance and his order to take no prisoners, the Miniature Death Star Battering Ram Cannon is luckily only strong enough to put a hole in a door. Rose knows this because she read the script.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To be very clear: DJ isn’t talking quietism. His “Not Joining” means that that he actively opposes the Space Contras while aligning himself with the growing leftist contingent within the First Order (e.g. whichever kind soul gave this homeless ex-con/fugitive a big crate of free money).

It turns out that, although the people of the galaxy despise Hux and his stupid slave-army superweapon bullshit, the First Order otherwise has some decent socioeconomic policies. What we see at the end of the ‘saga’ is effectively a massive destalinization campaign by the DJs - but expressly not an endorsement of liberal republicanism.

The film ends before we can see what the DJs create.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Little Death posted:

Did Rose know that? Did Finn? They didn't know that Rey was going to follow the ice foxes and move some rocks.

Yes

Cuz they wanted to stop the giant gun from breaking down the door

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

Yes

Cuz they wanted to stop the giant gun from breaking down the door

They knew that the door breaking wasn't essentially a death sentence for The resistance? Because at the time it seems like it would have been.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah if you presuppose this knowledge by rose then you have to question why they went out there in speeders in the first place. more of the (remaining) resistance got killed trying to stop the dicksaber than after, iirc.

am a little baffled that "Thing I Don't Like Liberalism" takes though

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 19, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What would you say the Resistance ideology is, then?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To be very clear: DJ isn’t talking quietism. His “Not Joining” means that that he actively opposes the Space Contras while aligning himself with the growing leftist contingent within the First Order (e.g. whichever kind soul gave this homeless ex-con/fugitive a big crate of free money).

It turns out that, although the people of the galaxy despise Hux and his stupid slave-army superweapon bullshit, the First Order otherwise has some decent socioeconomic policies. What we see at the end of the ‘saga’ is effectively a massive destalinization campaign by the DJs - but expressly not an endorsement of liberal republicanism.

The film ends before we can see what the DJs create.

It is interesting to see how the fascist organization treats people that have no power over them vs. the Resistance.

The First Order had no obligation to give DJ his crate or his fancy suit but they do. The Resistance gives out decoder rings to the slaves that helped them escape while leaving them in shackles.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Skrill.exe posted:

It is interesting to see how the fascist organization treats people that have no power over them vs. the Resistance.

The First Order had no obligation to give DJ his crate or his fancy suit but they do. The Resistance gives out decoder rings to the slaves that helped them escape while leaving them in shackles.

The First Order is not really fascist - that’s why Palpatine needed to create Snoke: the people of the galaxy loving hate Palpatine and his Empire. Snoke promises something different - and all the imagery is of Red Dawns and the hand of the worker, etc. Snoke is a Soviet.

The waters are muddied by the fact that we see almost nothing about the First Order outside a small portion of its military. And the First Order military is explicitly a bunch of useless ex-Imperial morons that even Snoke hates. Snoke just keeps inexplicably funding them for some reason (the reason is that he is a clone-droid unknowingly programmed to build a slave army for Palpatine).

With that out of the way, you do have it right: DJ’s excuse for breaking into Snoke’s personal ship was that he wanted to rob the place. Yet, in response, the guards basically said “oh, you just need money? Well why didn’t you say so, brother! We have plenty of money - and take this ship too.” They just wanted to make sure the money wasn’t going to fund the Space Contras.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

yeah if you presuppose this knowledge by rose then you have to question why they went out there in speeders in the first place. more of the (remaining) resistance got killed trying to stop the dicksaber than after, iirc.

The one core tenet of the resistance is veneration of a representative democracy that proved itself useless at best and deliberatly unconcerned at worst to slavery and war profiteering. The republic is explicitly the galactic government at the beginning of the new trilogy. They stand for freedom and it seems like some sort of constitutionalism, but beyond that? And especially given Finn's defection, they are fine with mercing child soldiers and slave soldiers without thinking about it at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know how you can decisively say the Republic is definitively liberal when you're saying at the same time that they have no apparent values

e: inb4 hot fresh "well, neither do liberals!" joke

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

2house2fly posted:

It was never refuted because it's true: the Resistance brought weapons from people who were willing to sell them. DJ seems to think both sides do it knowingly and that the war is a game to the people in it, but the movie itself shows one side dedicating itself fully to annihilating the other and almost succeeding, so I'm not certain he's correct.

Yes, of the two sides, Kylo is the one fighting for structural change. The resistance is explicitly not. They want a return to the old status quo.

I'm really not trying to be another SMG and get all hermeneutic with the thematic interpretations, but for me DJ and Canto Bight don't work because they seemingly refute the rest of the movie. I still like TLJ the best of the 3, but it is still a mess, and I do wonder if there wasn't some executive meddling that reshaped the final act away from a conclusion that executives might fear would tarnish the brand.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Arist posted:

I don't know how you can decisively say the Republic is definitively liberal when you're saying at the same time that they have no apparent values

e: inb4 hot fresh "well, neither do liberals!" joke

They have values, they are dedicated to representative democracy and a reverence for institutions. They mythologize the Republic, old and new, all throught the movies. They are the cast of the West Wing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're talking about an organization that to my recollection meaningfully exists for about three seconds in TFA when we watch their entire system get utterly annihilated by Starkiller Base.

Like, fine. Say the sequels do a bad job of establishing the conflict and the powers within it. I actually agree with that. I don't think it's specifically a problem with TLJ, the only movie in the franchise that even tries to contextualize the effect of cycles of war on the galaxy outside of the major powers.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 19, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Arist posted:

We're talking about an organization that to my recollection meaningfully exists for about three seconds in TFA when we watch their entire system get utterly annihilated by Starkiller Base.

Like, fine. Say the sequels do a bad job of establishing the conflict and the powers within it. I actually agree with that. I don't think it's specifically a problem with TLJ, the only movie in the franchise that even tries to contextualize the effect of cycles of war on the galaxy outside of the major powers.

I still think DJ makes an odd addtition because his attempt at making a point about the galaxy stands in stark contrast to the empty void we are presented with otherwise. As a character, he deliberatly problematized the audience's understanding of the moral terrrain, but then they don't follow through on it. Like with the theme of sacrifice or "saving what you love" it feels like I can see what RJ was going for, but the pieces don't work. This is better than TFA, which is hollow nostalgia with only surface level thought into theme, or ROS, which is literally a black hole of theme and plot that retroactively ruins the entire franchise.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Little Death posted:

The one core tenet of the resistance is veneration of a representative democracy that proved itself useless at best and deliberatly unconcerned at worst to slavery and war profiteering. The republic is explicitly the galactic government at the beginning of the new trilogy. They stand for freedom and it seems like some sort of constitutionalism, but beyond that? And especially given Finn's defection, they are fine with mercing child soldiers and slave soldiers without thinking about it at all.

The resistance is explicitly a separate antifa organization frustrated at the Republics inaction and fecklessness and committed to direct action. They arn't the liberals in this parable lawl

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 19, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The resistance is explicitly a separate antifa organization frustrated at the Republics inaction and fecklessness. They arn't the liberals in this parable lawl

Not by the end. By the end Po is invoking the republic as the mythic symbol they are fighting for. And from everything we see, I'd say they're more like the FSA, fighting against space ISIS.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The resistance is explicitly a separate antifa organization frustrated at the Republics inaction and fecklessness and committed to direct action. They arn't the liberals in this parable lawl

the resistance aren't antifa, they're contras.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
they're the brave mujahideen fighters of afghanistan that this film is dedicated to

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ultra Carp

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the resistance aren't antifa, they're contras.

This is an extremely bad analogy on a number of levels

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just saw Rian’s film “Knives Out” is now on the amazon streaming service in my nation. I’ll let you know how it is

edit: It was all right

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 19, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Liberals fought fascists in the Spanish civil war.

The resistance is fighting to maintain/restore the ineffective and unpopular republic. They’re the SPD trying to resuscitate the Weimar Republic, not the KPD trying to destroy capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Aris is technically right in one sense: Leia leans toward the rightist fringes of the Republican party. She and her followers share much of their neofeudal ideology with Count Dooku.

Unlike Padme Amidala, Leia doesn’t say jack poo poo about things like democracy. She’s all about restoring the Jedi Order to a position of greater power than ever before.