Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the power of the indian central government isn't that great, and rule of law doesn't matter in a lot of places, local muscle does. paramilitaries/goons belonging to local power structures control the police, judiciary, any institution you can think of. patronage matters and is the only way for a lot of people to survive, some of these parties provide social services/electricity/food/cultural festivals and entertainment in a bunch of districts

india liberalized in the early 90s and it broke down a lot of state support for the meagre amount of welfare that existed. right wing religious extremists came along and offered pogroms, cultural red meat, and more importantly a lever for ambitious regional climbers who couldn't get into the Congress power structures and could control local muscle to break it open and climb to the top, accumulating power and wealth for themselves.

the BJP made an alliance with business and industrialists (and I have a sneaking suspicion foreign money poured into the country too), became incredibly cash rich, and was therefore able to use that money to build a huge propaganda machine and dispense money to a bunch of those patronage networks around the country to bring them into their fold. the indian media, completely privatized and with pitiful regulations, is fully controlled by business elites who saw the BJP as a way to deregulate and privatize the state even further.

in modi's first term he presided over an economy he sent into the shitter and oversaw the worst unemployment rate in india in decades....and was rewarded with a landslide victory due to all the factors above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

A shameful display. A true proletarian government would give these men medals.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

India got their UNSC seat and is probably going to more heavily press to be allowed to move to a permanent seat, especially with the recent flare-ups. TBH I'm really curious if anything is going to happen to the UN in the next few years, I know that the African group has been very heavily pushing towards reforms, but it's all really unlikely since the SC will just veto anything that threatens their power.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lol that the UK is still one of the P5 though. Fukken clownshoes country. Shoulda gotten the boot long ago. UN should change out its P5 countries every few years and if your country cant grease enough palms to get on the roster at that point then it shouldn't count as a permanent member

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

The UN will disband (due to WWIII) before China lets India (or Japan) get a permanent veto on the security council. Why would the PRC ever willingly give their geopolitical competitors more power?

put Pakistan and India onto the Security Council as permanent vetos at the same time

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Here are some gluesome photos of Indian soldiers at the bottom of the cliff somebody posted on weibo, rehosted on a HK forum.

https://m.discuss.com.hk/index.php?action=thread&tid=29151061&extra=page%3D1&page=29

The weibo post said the Chinese had number on their side and used shields and clubs so I will take its words for it. Looks like the Indians got Spartaed.

Nothing like having Rome Total War style battles irl....

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

The permanent members should all be relatively minor countries that have ongoing territorial disputes with each other. Armenia and Azerbaijan! Thailand and Cambodia! Ecuador and Peru! C'mon, let's get fun with it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

put Pakistan and India onto the Security Council as permanent vetos at the same time

make them share the same seat, and they determine who votes based off of a pugil stick duel

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sincx posted:

The UN will disband (due to WWIII) before China lets India (or Japan) get a permanent veto on the security council. Why would the PRC ever willingly give their geopolitical competitors more power?

this, but the other 4 permanent members as well

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does the security council ever agree on anything outside of condemning small time genocidal dictators who were too stupid to join Team US/Russia/China?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

cool dance moves posted:

The permanent members should all be relatively minor countries that have ongoing territorial disputes with each other. Armenia and Azerbaijan! Thailand and Cambodia! Ecuador and Peru! C'mon, let's get fun with it

only two SC seats should go to Israel and Palestine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does the security council ever agree on anything outside of condemning small time genocidal dictators who were too stupid to join Team US/Russia/China?

A ton of poo poo tbh. One of the reasons that the African states have been pushy about reforming the UNSC is that they've put out a ton of stuff regarding African countries with little to no discussion with regional delegates

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Indians moving

https://youtu.be/n9vRoGOJCX8

Chinese moving

https://youtu.be/X079CSpJejU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
talking to my brother about the border brawl and he said it's like dune or something. everyone fighting hand to hand because of the threat of nuclear annihilation. and i replied, drat you're right

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

idc if this is true or not it's still funny
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1273495686919737344

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how simply acknowledging that american officials are elected at all is now tantamount to demanding foreign bribes

nuts to think that eight years ago right wing media trying to make a thing out of obama telling putin hed have more flexibility after the election was just widely dismissed as crazy talk from wacky land

or how even right now biden having his failson on a bunch of different random international boards is completely not suspicious and youre racist for suggesting it is

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i mean i've been writing letters to president xi asking him to deal with my enemies in this country -- also please can you lock up that kid who punched me in the balls in the third grade -- but haven't heard any responses either

trump could've just asked me and i would've told it wouldn't work

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1273705558151921664?s=20

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm american and I see it that way too

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

save us president xi

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

that image of the flag pushing the other flag off a cliff is amazing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine the United States on the edge of a cliff...

China works the same way

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Where is the lie?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1273833923664101381?p=v

i like how these articles always assume as a matter of course that the idea of any westerner spying on china for political reasons is completely preposterous but also its equally preposterous that western governments would ever have similar politican motivation to prosecute chinese citizens

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273469862661074946?s=19

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this dude's pinned tweet is a little telling

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

hmm yes let's ask the vietnamese for their thoughts on how the us doesnt do imperialisms :hmmyes:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

HerraS posted:

hmm yes let's ask the vietnamese for their thoughts on how the us doesnt do imperialisms :hmmyes:

They won, so America did no imperialisms. Bing bong so easy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tGLKlsQv8

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the random capitalization of words makes this guy's twitter timeline exhausting to read. Like he's randomly shouting his points about why China must be destroyed at me.
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273572266819780609?s=20
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273557733988372480?s=20
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273618644170235904?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

time for some kuomintang theory

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The white sunburst is a very good design though.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

the random capitalization of words makes this guy's twitter timeline exhausting to read. Like he's randomly shouting his points about why China must be destroyed at me.
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273572266819780609?s=20
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273557733988372480?s=20
https://twitter.com/Richeydarian/status/1273618644170235904?s=20

lead poisoning, the random caps is always lead poisoning

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Heartcatch posted:

The white sunburst is a very good design though.

I gotta admit I like the Taiwan/KMT flag quite a bit

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Paywall

Would an establishment goon kindly post the txt

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

A4R8 posted:

Paywall

quote:

Elites in Beijing see America in decline, hastened by Trump
WHOM WOULD China prefer as America’s next president? That is a hard question, without an uplifting answer. In elite circles in Beijing, both President Donald Trump and his rival, Joe Biden, a former vice-president, are spoken of with distrust and condescension. Rather unusually, both candidates are known quantities. Each man has spent many hours with President Xi Jinping. During the first term of the Obama administration, when Mr Xi was heir-apparent to the leadership of China with the formal rank of vice-president, Mr Biden, as his opposite number, was tasked with taking his measure. Visiting China in 2011, Mr Biden hailed their numerous meetings in various countries and their “mutual respect”. Mr Trump has gone further, calling Mr Xi his “very, very good friend”. Few in Beijing are fooled. Mr Trump and Mr Biden may share a capacity for talking (and talking) in pursuit of a deal. But Mr Xi’s grim, security-first worldview leaves little room for foreign friendships, let alone with garrulous Americans.

Chinese disdain combines the political with the personal. In the unmarked villas, private dining rooms and scholarly retreats where—when it suits them—well-connected Chinese sometimes offer opinions to foreigners, Mr Trump is called ignorant, erratic and tiresome, but not without his uses. He is praised for an apparent indifference to ideology. He is complimented for his reluctance to condemn Chinese repression in such places as Xinjiang. People familiar with the thinking of Chinese generals assert, approvingly, that Mr Trump dislikes military adventures abroad.

Chinese leaders initially mistook Mr Trump for a pragmatic tycoon, a type they have met before. Now he is called a narcissist who cares only about his own interests, starting with his re-election. That cynicism informs China’s response to the trade war unleashed by Mr Trump, with wary but bipartisan support from members of Congress and some American business lobbies. Plenty of American businessfolk have swallowed qualms about Mr Trump’s tactics. They were glad to see him press China over its unfair market rules and industrial policies that promote local champions at the expense of foreign firms. Detecting that Mr Trump was more interested in China’s money than in making China change its ways, officials in Beijing agreed on a “phase one” trade deal built around purchases of American commodities. China has kept that deal alive, with state companies buying shiploads of soyabeans and other goods even as the two governments trade angry words about each other’s handling of covid-19, among other issues. China has yet to fulfil its threat to name American firms as “unreliable entities” ripe for punitive treatment, even after the Trump administration said it would put sanctions on China for imposing a national-security law on Hong Kong. Mr Trump’s supporters would doubtless call China’s caution a tribute to their president’s tariff-happy toughness. Maybe. But China is also buying itself time. Satisfying Mr Trump has effectively parked America’s bipartisan demands for structural reforms. That does not make Chinese elites relaxed, though. They fret that Mr Trump has been “kidnapped” by the truly ideological China hawks who surround him.

As for Mr Biden, in Beijing he is called a member of the former ruling establishment that saw economic interdependence with China as a source of stability, not danger. Mr Biden was a player in Obama-era campaigns to seek China’s help in tackling climate change and other global challenges. Yet, in China, there is strikingly little nostalgia for those days. Some grumble that such engagement rested on a mistaken American belief that China would converge politically with the West as it grew richer. Others recall how American politicians bragged that democracies had a creative edge that autocratic China would always lack. That is certainly a favourite Biden line, as in 2013 when he told Chinese students applying for visas at America’s embassy in Beijing that “innovation can only occur when you can breathe free.” The view in China is that its best scientists and tech firms are busy disproving such boasts, tipping America into a crisis of confidence and anti-China hysteria.

Just as bipartisan opinion in Washington has coalesced around alarm at China’s rise, an elite consensus has emerged in the Chinese capital. Especially in this summer of pandemic and street protests, America is called a nation in decline: a rich country too divided, selfish and racist to keep its citizens safe. Chinese elites see Mr Trump as a symptom and an agent of that decline. State media long refrained from direct attacks on Mr Trump. Not now. The Global Times, a nationalist tabloid, this month reported that Chinese netizens mockingly call him Chuan Jianguo, or “Build-up-the-country Trump”. Their joke, that he is a double-agent wrecking America to make China strong, prompts lines like “Comrade Chuan Jianguo, don’t blow your cover!” Does such scorn mean that China wants Mr Trump re-elected? There, elites are divided. At root, their debates turn on two questions: is American decline irreversible, and would its acceleration suit China just now?

Two devils, both known
In national-security circles, many see advantages to four more years of turbulence, with Mr Trump weakening democracy at home and repelling allies in Asia and beyond. In contrast, elites focused on the economy fear the premature collapse of a global trading order that has profited China mightily. That prods some to hanker for Mr Biden. Such people think of him as a moderate who might slow economic decoupling, giving China time to diversify and become more self-reliant. Still another camp holds that America’s next government, of whichever party, will be filled with officials bent on keeping China down, but that Mr Biden’s team will be more competent, and thus more dangerous. Many Biden-sceptics in China note, with alarm, how the Democrat has taken to chiding Mr Trump for being soft on Chinese human-rights abuses. All camps are united by a bleakly defensive mood. Whoever becomes America’s next president, China does not expect to be friends.■

This article appeared in the China section of the print edition under the headline "Pondering America’s election"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

A4R8 posted:

Paywall

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/blob/master/README.md

I use this addon to bypass most paywalls.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Obviously Trump is better for China than Biden providing he won't start an nuclear war.

Doesn't mean China will buy those soybeans from US for free though, Trump got to give up something in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021