Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Olver/Gaidal thing really feels like another one of those plot lines where RJ got spooked by so many people figuring it out and expecting it to happen that he pulled a switcheroo instead.

Possibly but rhe timelines just don't add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

IIRC the definitive evidence that he's not Gaidal is that we've already met Olver by the time Birgitte mentions that Gaidal's been missing from Telaranrhiod for a while, so he must've been spun out, right? And that's fairly early on - book 4? So unless time in the dream world is much wackier than we can discern from the books, it can't be Olver.

Which is fine, how it played out isn't a mark against the ending IMO. Shame we'll never get a follow-up about Olver Hornsounder though.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Isn't it said that gaidol is always younger than Birgitte. And it ended up that way even though it seemed weird to Birgitte when she was in the dream. Almost like it was willed by the wheel to work that way.

At least that's how I read it.

Edit: I thought we met him when he was young a bit after she said he was spun out. So it doesn't quite line up but I thought it was the dream time shenanigans. And gaidol always seems to be a shadow early in the books and so maybe he's not fully in the dream.

Artonos fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 20, 2020

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Gaidol is always older than Birgitte. Gaidol being spun out into the pattern meant that Birgitte was due to be spun out soon, but she was kicked out instead for not sticking to the precepts. The reason we don't see Gaidol at all in Tel'aran'rhiod is because he does stick to the precepts.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Ahhhh you're right. I've only read through once and am not quite as sharp on some of the details. But that kind of does explain why it lines up with my interpretation that it isn't spelled out completely but olver is still gaidol. Just not spelled out to the characters that we follow.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

bell jar posted:

Gaidol is always older than Birgitte. Gaidol being spun out into the pattern meant that Birgitte was due to be spun out soon, but she was kicked out instead for not sticking to the precepts. The reason we don't see Gaidol at all in Tel'aran'rhiod is because he does stick to the precepts.

We do see Gaidal Cain once in TAR, not to mention seeing him the first time the Horn was blown. Both of which have to have happened after Olver's birth given the timeline of the series being around two years and Olver being older than that. This means that it is impossible for Olver to ever have been intended to be Cain without some major time fuckery that was never hinted at, and which is completely contradicted by the text.

quote:

“You’re the heroine of a hundred tales,” Nynaeve said. “And I saw what your arrows did at Falme. Seanchan channeling did not touch you. Birgitte, we face near a dozen of the Black Ajah. And one of the Forsaken as well, it seems. We could use your help.”

The other woman grimaced, embarrassed and regretful. “I cannot, Nynaeve. I cannot touch the world of flesh unless the Horn calls me again. Or else the Wheel weaves me out. If it did this moment, you would find only an infant mewling at her mother’s breast. As for Falme, the Horn had called us; we were not there as you were, in the flesh. That is why the Power could not touch us. Here, all is part of the dream, and the One Power could destroy me as easily as you. More easily. I told you; I am an archer, a sometime soldier, no more.” Her complex golden braid swung as she shook her head. “I do not know why I am explaining. I should not even be talking to you.”

“Why not? You’ve spoken to me before. And Egwene thought she saw you. That was you, wasn’t it?” Nynaeve frowned. “How do you know my name? Do you just know things?”

“I know what I see and hear. I have watched you, and listened, whenever I could find you. You and the other two women, and the young man with his wolves. According to the precepts, we may speak to none who know they are in Tel’aran’rhiod. And yet, evil walks the dream as well as the world of flesh; you who fight it attract me. Even knowing I can do almost nothing, I find myself wanting to help you. But I cannot. It violates the precepts, precepts which have held me for so many turns of the Wheel that in my oldest, faintest memories I know I had already lived a hundred times, or a thousand. Speaking to you violates precepts as strong as law.”

“It does,” said a harsh, male voice.

Nynaeve jumped and almost lashed out with the Power. The man was dark and strongly muscled, with the long hilts of two swords thrusting above his shoulders as he strode the few paces from where he had appeared to Birgitte. With what she had heard from Birgitte, the swords were enough to name him as Gaidal Cain, but where fair, golden-haired Birgitte was as beautiful as in the stories, he was definitely not. In fact, he was perhaps as ugly a man as Nynaeve had ever seen, his face wide and flat, his heavy nose too big, and his mouth a gash, far too broad. Birgitte smiled at him, though; her touch on his cheek held more than fondness. It was a surprise to see he was the shorter. Stocky and muscled as he was, powerful in his movements, he gave the impression of being taller than he was.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Gnoman posted:

We do see Gaidal Cain once in TAR, not to mention seeing him the first time the Horn was blown. Both of which have to have happened after Olver's birth given the timeline of the series being around two years and Olver being older than that. This means that it is impossible for Olver to ever have been intended to be Cain without some major time fuckery that was never hinted at, and which is completely contradicted by the text.

quote:

..for the grave is no bar to my call.

I don't see why life would bar the call either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

shirunei posted:

I don't see why life would bar the call either.

Because the soul is already spun out. Can't be in two places at once.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Because Rand wasn't summoned when the horn was blown at Falme.

.... that

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Because Rand wasn't summoned when the horn was blown at Falme.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I always figured that the Dragon being bound to the Horn was something that could backfire if the Forsaken ever stopped being bumblers. Surely Ishamael of all people could find a way to use it to either keep the Dragon from being spun out or remove him from the Pattern completely.

I do wonder what it looks like for Rand, since he has some new powers by the end. Probably safe to assume he's not functionally immortal, since that would cause some issues. Also is the Dragon always male in every incarnation?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I thought in the last book one of the heroes of the horn says just because the horn summons them doesn't mean they have to fight for whomever blows it, if a darkfriend blew it horn they wouldn't fight for the shadow.

e:. Wait I misread what you were saying, but did I misremember what I posted? It's been a number of years since I read the last few books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I thought in the last book one of the heroes of the horn says just because the horn summons them doesn't mean they have to fight for whomever blows it, if a darkfriend blew it horn they wouldn't fight for the shadow.

e:. Wait I misread what you were saying, but did I misremember what I posted? It's been a number of years since I read the last few books.

Yeah that was a vicious rumor, disproven by the heroes themselves. Maybe by Artur himself, I forget who.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

No you're correct, they won't fight for the Shadow. But Hawkwing himself says that the Shadow forces know how to harm them, incapacitate them, or force them back into the dream, so good thing that the Horn was effectively safeguarded all those years of the binding.

Also heroes can refuse to be bound to the Horn apparently, which is an interesting development.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

I always figured that the Dragon being bound to the Horn was something that could backfire if the Forsaken ever stopped being bumblers. Surely Ishamael of all people could find a way to use it to either keep the Dragon from being spun out or remove him from the Pattern completely.

I do wonder what it looks like for Rand, since he has some new powers by the end. Probably safe to assume he's not functionally immortal, since that would cause some issues. Also is the Dragon always male in every incarnation?

Which reinforces my theory that it is completely impossible to remove a soul from the Wheel/weaving. You can burn a soul out of the Pattern, but it'll just come back the next time it's called upon by the Wheel.

Doesn't seem like you can do much with just the Horn of Valere--whether or not a Hero is spun out is dependent entirely upon the Wheel, which is not really something you can touch with any Power (consider that a lot of Wheel/weaving-related things are unaffected by One Power or True Power. Ta'veren-ness, Heroes of the Horn.) You can steal it and prevent it from being used at key moments.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Invalid Validation posted:

Remember borderlanders are the only ones who have fought Trollocs in centuries. Most people don’t think they’re real.

Also I just got to the Sharan section in AMoL and what the Christ? Why introduce a completely new culture in the last book?

They're obliquely mentioned a bunch of times, but it's in passing almost every time. RJ/Sanderson had plans to flush out the storyline a little bit more, but figured things were bloated enough and it ruined the surprise.

It works very well on a reread when you're actively looking for them

Edit: wow, I was behind a while

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the Sharan would have been better if he would have introduced them with a Domandred point of view a book or two earlier. But when it is thrown into the last book it’s really jarring.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They...were introduced at least once or twice, and mentioned a number of times, but I guess you mean seen in numbers?

I honestly don't think they would have been seen like that before the end even had Jordan not died.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It even fits well with the "Demandred is not Taim" situation, since in the scene where Graendal is shown to have a pair of Sharan rulers as pets (and gives the most detailed description of their society so far), it's implied that she's working with Demandred.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He was quite menacing for a forsaken, I wish we would have seen him more. Him just wanting nothing more than to kill Lews Therin is a pretty good motivation. I bet he also looked rad as hell in a golden coin armor suit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

It even fits well with the "Demandred is not Taim" situation, since in the scene where Graendal is shown to have a pair of Sharan rulers as pets (and gives the most detailed description of their society so far), it's implied that she's working with Demandred.

Yeah, the major Forsaken coalition was Graendal, Semirhage, Demandred, and Mesaana. Though they didn't spend much time together (such as the sequences of Graendal manipulating the poo poo out of Rahvin, or Lanfear dragging Asmodean into the Waste) every so often, aside from their usual tea socials, you'd get a POV of one of them doing something for one of the others. Graendal's collection of Sharan rulers, in retrospect, fits that pattern very well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Noo, Graendal had aligned (in some fashion) with Sammael. It was the other three that worked together.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Noo, Graendal had aligned (in some fashion) with Sammael. It was the other three that worked together.

Yeah to correct my post, Graendal was screwing with Sammael, not Rahvin. And she is not strictly speaking in Semirhage, Demandred, and Mesaana's group.

I suppose my post really is down to the fact that she was one of the remaining loose Forsaken that had not been balefired or mindtrapped or whatever, and so she was available for the general Forsaken socials.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

From Lord of Chaos, chapter 6: [Sammael POV; 'she' is Graendal, 'he' Sammael]

quote:

She stared at him, gathering herself, eyes glittering with enmity. Finally she said, “Little enough.” She would not forget that he had seen her lose control. None of her anger came out in her voice; her tone was smooth, even offhand. “Semirhage missed the last gathering; I don’t know why, and I do not think Mesaana or Demandred does either. Mesaana in particular was annoyed, though she tried to hide it. She thinks Lews Therin soon will be in our hands, but then she has said the same every time. She was sure Be’lal would kill or capture him in Tear; she was very proud of that trap. Demandred warns you to be careful.”

“So Demandred knows you and I meet,” he said flatly. Why had he ever expected to receive more than driblets from her?

“Of course he does. Not how much I tell you, but that I tell you something. I am trying to bring us together, Sammael, before it is too—”

Graendal either wants an alliance with Sammael, or wants Sammael to think she does, to whatever depth of recursive plotting, but that's a side deal for her from also being associated with the other three.

edit: VVV Ahh. Some day, I plan on going through the series and keeping notes on everybody, looking up characters as I go, that sort of thing. That day is not this day.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 20, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

Graendal either wants an alliance with Sammael, or wants Sammael to think she does, to whatever depth of recursive plotting, but that's a side deal for her from also being associated with the other three.

Yeah, but she was not "deep in their council" or whatever at that point, for example she didn't actually know where Mesaana was working.

Later on she may have ingratiated herself into that group, but I think at that point she was the only loose unaligned Forsaken so probably decided strength in numbers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

She was at the gathering and the two others there were a little confused and annoyed that she was, wasn't it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

She was at the gathering and the two others there were a little confused and annoyed that she was, wasn't it?

My impression is that Demandred sent her some Outlook meeting invites.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I distinctly recall Moridin saying "I've let you listen to this meeting" as some kind of favor.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well I guess it was nice chatting about my favorite piece of fiction with y'all.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

silvergoose posted:

Well I guess it was nice chatting about my favorite piece of fiction with y'all.

My first message board experience was actually a Wheel of Time fan site, wotmania. I posted there waaaaay back in high school. It shut down years ago, some of the posters there started a new site, readandfindout.com, but it never really took off. I had moved on to SA by then anyways. I actually discovered this site thanks to a photoshop with an SA watermark somebody had linked in their profile on that site.

Apparently readandfindout is still around, but looks like it gets next to no traffic.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eh! Frank posted:

My first message board experience was actually a Wheel of Time fan site, wotmania. I posted there waaaaay back in high school. It shut down years ago, some of the posters there started a new site, readandfindout.com, but it never really took off. I had moved on to SA by then anyways. I actually discovered this site thanks to a photoshop with an SA watermark somebody had linked in their profile on that site.

Apparently readandfindout is still around, but looks like it gets next to no traffic.

Same basically.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
My first internet community was alt.fan.robert.jordan. And the Wheel of Time grinds on.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the wheel of shitposting. But it was *an* ending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We do already have a Book Barn discord, here's a link:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Man every one of my regular read threads is like people on a sinking ship with no lifeboats

Anyway before we all go under the waves let me just say one thing: gently caress Gawyn

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Just to keep regular chronological forums discussion going while there's still a place to do so on the internet;

Apparently the TV show is resuming filming late July / early August, according to some casting calls. Hope poorly paid extras don't get the corona because of this, but I'm eager to get a trailer or some such out of this, maybe this year still. I imagine the first trailer will tell us a lot about how they're approaching the book split.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

bloom posted:

Anyway before we all go under the waves let me just say one thing: gently caress Gawyn

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

quote:

And the Shadow fell upon the land, and the world was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Lowtax.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Just to keep regular chronological forums discussion going while there's still a place to do so on the internet;

Apparently the TV show is resuming filming late July / early August, according to some casting calls. Hope poorly paid extras don't get the corona because of this, but I'm eager to get a trailer or some such out of this, maybe this year still. I imagine the first trailer will tell us a lot about how they're approaching the book split.

They're filming in Europe, a place that is taking corona seriously, so they're probably safer than most of us in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is there any good fantasy books with characters like Mat?