Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey can someone confirm for me that Americans pronounce the drink La Croix as "lah croy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yeah, most Americans do

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Memento posted:

Hey can someone confirm for me that Americans pronounce the drink La Croix as "lah croy"?

we all pronounce it with hugely exaggerated french accents tyvm

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

that's like... the whole reason for drinking it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wait I was pronouncing it la crotch because it annoyed people

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/lacroixwater/status/741000943563505664
That's how the company pronounces it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

owlhawk911 posted:

we all pronounce it with hugely exaggerated french accents tyvm

See that is exactly what I would do.

Lah kwahhh, sweety.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I and many others in the US pronounce the second syllable as "croy" (beginning like "crow" and rhyming with "enjoy"). And because the second syllable is stressed, the vowel in "La" is reduced to schwa (so I wouldn't write it "Lah" - maybe "luh").

It wouldn't be the best place for "how do people in the US pronounce this word", but information about sounds in French and English and things like "vowel reduction" are discussed in The Linguistics Megathread over in Ask/Tell › Science, Academics and Languages.

dirby fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 19, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

yew got any more luh croy in there, earl?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I get YouTube to never, ever, under any circumstances, enable autoplay? I'm learning how to play guitar, and so I'm playing along to some songs, but I don't want YouTube to go on to the next song it thinks I want to hear. So on the first song, I'll make sure the toggle is off, play through, and maybe work on some stuff. Then I'll click on the next song (usually it's in the gallery at the end of the video since I've been practicing the same few songs a lot), and as soon as I click on that next song, the loving toggle goes back to on! I can't find anything in my account settings to turn off this lovely behavior. I'm willing to resort to an extension (Firefox) if that's what I have to do.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Are you signed in? Youtube generally saves settings much better if you're signed in.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CrazySalamander posted:

Are you signed in? Youtube generally saves settings much better if you're signed in.

hooah posted:

I can't find anything in my account settings to turn off this lovely behavior. I'm willing to resort to an extension (Firefox) if that's what I have to do.

Enhancer for YouTube is a great ff addon. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are there any sources out there for minimally compressed desktop wallpapers? I have a pretty good monitor but every background I use looks like color banded poo poo because of how compressed it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there any sources out there for minimally compressed desktop wallpapers? I have a pretty good monitor but every background I use looks like color banded poo poo because of how compressed it is.

Screenshots from fullscreen video games ala Ace Combat 7 or AssCreed Origins

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gabriel S. posted:

What's the forum policy on registering a second account if I want a fresh start?

I've been a member of these forums since before we switched to these forums (2000 or 2001ish)

...this isn't my first account :\

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What's the point of teledoc services in the US?

I get the point of urgent cares as they can triage the relatively minor things(deep cuts/the flu/etc) so you don't have to take up resources at a hospital, but every time I've used teledoc services, when urgent cares are closed so my only option are hospital, they've literally told me go to the hospital every time*.

Am I using teledoc services wrong by using them as a "hey is this serious enough that I need to go into the hospital now or can this wait until morning?"

edit: Thus far its been for mechanical damage stuff like stepping on a carpet staple that took a small hunk outta my foot or some other stupid stuff with a known cause.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 20, 2020

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

What's the point of teledoc services in the US?
I think it's mostly for prescription renewal and/or chronic disease management, rather than urgent stuff. Like birth control, antidepressants, etc. can probably be renewed pretty safely that way in most cases.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

(American reporting in)

I've used teledoc twice in the last year:

- I got a weird rash on my back that hurt instead of itched and my doc listened to my symptoms and nodded and said "that's shingles" and the med he prescribed made it go away within a week. Success!
- Checkup/maintenance for my medication and while my doc was on the line I asked about another weird symptom and got an anti-allergy medicine in addition to refilling my usual stuff. This also was a success!

It's great for stuff like that and saved me two trips to the office and all that associated stress. Now if I had something more urgent, well, that's when I hit up the hospital. Thank god I haven't had that so far this year.

e: Hey I can't read, here's the rest of your question:

"Am I using teledoc services wrong by using them as a "hey is this serious enough that I need to go into the hospital now or can this wait until morning?""

I tend to call a nurse for that. I call my doctor's office, ask to speak to a nurse, explain what's up and ask them what I should do. Sometimes this is "yeah you're fine" and sometimes they point me to the hospital.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 20, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Enhancer for YouTube is a great ff addon. You'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Thanks, this works great. I can see the toggle turn on, then right back off! For the record, I am indeed signed in.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a thread for road bikes / mountain bikes somewhere?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Bicycle Megathread 4 is what you're after, it's in You Look Like poo poo, the fitness forum.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What if I don't think these forums are dead or particularly funny? (Jury is still out on gay)

In more seriousness, where did that mantra start?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I smoke a lot in my bedroom, and I have an air conditioner. It's gotten to the point where my room smells like rear end cause of that funky stale smoke smell that happens when you smoke near ACs (like what happens in a car). Is there anything I can do to get rid of this smell? Smoking outside of my room isn't an option (cause I'm lazy), but I'm more than okay doing regular cleaning of the AC if it means my room can smell somewhat normal.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you are talking about tobacco that stale smoke smell isnt because you are smoking "near an ac", thats going to happen if you smoke a lot in any room regardless of what kinds of appliances are in the room or how frequently you clean them. tobacco smoke is notoriously difficult to overpower or get rid of, cleaning an ac filter isnt going to do poo poo because the smell has also sunk into your walls and all of your furniture. ive been in hotel rooms and offices etc that still smell like smoke after years of being converted to non-smoking and being professionally cleaned every day

if you are talking about weed, it would be weird for the smell to be getting stuck unless you have really terrible ventilation. just blow the smoke out a window. personally i often stand in my doorway and smoke but you might be too lazy even for that!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 20, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Qubee posted:

I smoke a lot in my bedroom, and I have an air conditioner. It's gotten to the point where my room smells like rear end cause of that funky stale smoke smell that happens when you smoke near ACs (like what happens in a car). Is there anything I can do to get rid of this smell? Smoking outside of my room isn't an option (cause I'm lazy), but I'm more than okay doing regular cleaning of the AC if it means my room can smell somewhat normal.

weed or cigs my dude? activated carbon/charcoal filters will get weed smell, tobacco stank is thick and sticky and you just nasty if you smoke that indoors. i step outside to blaze anyways, it breaks up the routine and is nice

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Earwicker posted:

that stale smoke smell isnt because you are smoking "near an ac", thats going to happen if you smoke a lot in any room regardless of what kinds of appliances are in the room or how frequently you clean them. tobacco smoke is notoriously difficult to overpower or get rid of, cleaning an ac filter isnt going to do poo poo because the smell has also sunk into your walls and all of your furniture. ive been in hotel rooms and offices etc that still smell like smoke after years of being converted to non-smoking and being professionally cleaned every day

This.

If is any consolation, give it a few months and your sense of smell will disappear and you will think your room smells just fine again.

Of course, anyone within 15 feet of you will think you smell like an elderly ashtray that's been up someone's rear end, but that is there problem, not yours.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cigarettes. In the UK I had an office room in my place and I'd smoke there constantly. I'd stop smoking in there and leave the windows open three days before the landlord / estate agents were doing a check and the smell would be totally gone. I know I wasn't imagining it cause they never mentioned it, despite it being a big no no in the tenancy agreement. If I smoked in my car, my AC would smell like rear end and stay smelling that way, I ruined my old car with that (smell of feet whenever I'd kick the AC on), and my new car I made sure not to smoke in it.

I've moved abroad and the room I'm in has AC, so I definitely know it's AC related, it always kicks out this horrible stale smell. I just wanna know if there's any sort of maintenance / cleaning I can do on the thing to remove it. I've washed the filters and that dampens the issue but not by much.

Edit: nvm, guess I'm hosed. My cousin's rooms don't have this issue, but their rooms are much bigger. Mine is pretty cramped and I'm much nearer the AC.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Qubee posted:

Cigarettes. In the UK I had an office room in my place and I'd smoke there constantly. I'd stop smoking in there and leave the windows open three days before the landlord / estate agents were doing a check and the smell would be totally gone. I know I wasn't imagining it cause they never mentioned it, despite it being a big no no in the tenancy agreement. If I smoked in my car, my AC would smell like rear end and stay smelling that way, I ruined my old car with that (smell of feet whenever I'd kick the AC on), and my new car I made sure not to smoke in it.

I've moved abroad and the room I'm in has AC, so I definitely know it's AC related, it always kicks out this horrible stale smell. I just wanna know if there's any sort of maintenance / cleaning I can do on the thing to remove it. I've washed the filters and that dampens the issue but not by much.

Edit: nvm, guess I'm hosed. My cousin's rooms don't have this issue, but their rooms are much bigger. Mine is pretty cramped and I'm much nearer the AC.

you could still try the activated carbon filters, they make em for most things that take filters. couldn't hurt

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll give it a go. I've tried having the windows open every now and then but it regularly reaches 45 degrees celsius here and I don't like dying from heat stroke. I'll see about picking up an air purifier too in the hopes that works.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm thinking either the landlord smoked themselves and that's why they didn't smell it, some other smell overpowered it, or they couldn't be hosed to deal with it.

Like, once or twice a year I get drunk enough that I can't be arsed to go outside to smoke and I have to air out the room for days before the smell is gone, and that's in a large living room with only one evening of smoking. If you've habitually been smoking in a small room for years no amount of normal cleaning will get rid of it. At that point you seriously have to replace furniture and wallpaper and poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just a heads up, tar bleeds through paint so the walls/wallpaper have to come down if you want to re-do the room at some point.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Qubee posted:

I smoke a lot in my bedroom, and I have an air conditioner. It's gotten to the point where my room smells like rear end cause of that funky stale smoke smell that happens when you smoke near ACs

No your room smells like rear end because you smoke in it a bunch. AC or no AC you're living in a stink pit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Just a heads up, tar bleeds through paint so the walls/wallpaper have to come down if you want to re-do the room at some point.

I used to live in a flat where someone at some point in the past had smoked a lot in the bathroom, and after a shower the moisture would draw out drops of tar from the ceiling and walls. Took me a long time to figure out wtf was happening

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Can confirm. The best bet is 1/8" drywall over what's already in there.....AFTER you've coated what's in there with a couple coats of Killz or similar.

The place I used to work for treated heavy smoker houses the same was a fire damage houses. Because it's really the same smell problem. Except the smoker houses were nastier.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I like the photography that appears on the Windows 10 lock screen but I hate the clickbaity little quips they put there. I'd be fine if it displayed actual information, like "this is a photograph of ______" but instead most of them are like "a famous person might have slept here...." Is there any way to get rid of that? I think I asked this a year ago and there was a fix for it, but even when I learned of this a Windows update had removed the workaround.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

there's a specific word that means to exit the stage. i think it starts with en-. any ideas what i'm talking about?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

abelwingnut posted:

there's a specific word that means to exit the stage. i think it starts with en-. any ideas what i'm talking about?

Exeunt?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

Exeunt

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

merci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

For the countries that send literally one guy on a UN peacekeeping mission (see Croatia, Estonia, Fiji, etc. here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Interim_Force_in_Lebanon), what's that guy doing? Do they just put together a normal sized military unit with people from a bunch of countries?