Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Seems unnecessary to keep pointing out it's a "record high" number of hospitalizations, given the curve we're clearly on it's gonna be a while before that number moves in any direction but up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
The infection rate is also alarming.

I think we're heading towards Abbott's goal.

Fireant fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 19, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1274093449956950016

Ha that'll put the fear of god into em

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really wish the City of Brownsville never let that moron build a "spaceport" in a coastal wildlife refuge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepDennisBonnen/status/1274097465927577601

Revenge

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Revenge

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1273731747251879936

I know a lot of us were worried about how the protests would impact the covid case rate and while it's still early days it doesn't look like it's having much of an effect.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

No one likes Empower Texas, even their ostensible policy allies, so maybe they'll take this as an opportunity to sweep them out of the capitol. Braddock's already asking Dan if ET is going to get their floor press access (a huge and inappropriate favor Patrick did for his benefactors last session) yanked, since his got pulled because he said a swear about one of his top staffers. They loving cratered in '18, no one is expecting 20 to be better, and even though everyone was obviously a thousand times more mad at Bonnen, there's no way members are cool with MQS secretly recording conversations for blackmail purposes.

Oh also
https://twitter.com/ShannonNajma/status/1274076778051575810
:shepface:

That's old news, old man

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

I know a lot of us were worried about how the protests would impact the covid case rate and while it's still early days it doesn't look like it's having much of an effect.

Surprise 2020 twist, tear gas cures covid

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This is the first time in history TABC has done something good and I'm having a lot of mixed feelings now

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

zoux posted:

More evidence of the effacity of masks, even basic or improvised ones.

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
Hospital bed use in Bexar County jumped from 267 to 322 in one day. I don't know how we can sustain that kind of rise.

The available staffed bed percentage seems to stick to 25% though for some reason.

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
Cross posting from main coronathread: someone shot this at the San Marcos river the other day. Hays county has been adding around 200 cases each day this week which is huge for the population.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ADTjpyY

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m in Comal and we were barely over 100 cases before Memorial Day. We just hit 240 with 58 more probable for 298 total. It’s tripled in like 3 weeks, mostly in the NB area

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fireant posted:

Cross posting from main coronathread: someone shot this at the San Marcos river the other day. Hays county has been adding around 200 cases each day this week which is huge for the population.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ADTjpyY

Yup, YUP. I live/work in the SM area so it's absolutely beautiful watching. Oh wait, wrong word:

loving horrible and terrifying.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw this billboard on i35

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

:shepicide:

Corpus is a poo poo hole anyways.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

zoux posted:

No one likes Empower Texas, even their ostensible policy allies, so maybe they'll take this as an opportunity to sweep them out of the capitol. Braddock's already asking Dan if ET is going to get their floor press access (a huge and inappropriate favor Patrick did for his benefactors last session) yanked, since his got pulled because he said a swear about one of his top staffers. They loving cratered in '18, no one is expecting 20 to be better, and even though everyone was obviously a thousand times more mad at Bonnen, there's no way members are cool with MQS secretly recording conversations for blackmail purposes.

Oh also
https://twitter.com/ShannonNajma/status/1274076778051575810
:shepface:

Texas Politics: I don't think you grasp how infected this state is yet

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Spaced God posted:

Texas Politics: I don't think you grasp how infected this state is yet

:perfect:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Not pictured: the needles sticking out of their legs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol no part of corpus looks like this

There's two sad little beachfront downtown that only parents with kids young enough to not notice how lovely it is go to. Often those are closed due to flesh eating bacteria. The refineries are wayyyyyyyyy closer to the city center than you would think too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The only cool part of Corpus are the snowballs and the turtle hatchings you can see during the summer. Like little oreos scurrying towards the ocean :3:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

The only cool part of Corpus are the snowballs and the turtle hatchings you can see during the summer. Like little oreos scurrying towards the ocean :3:

That's out on Padre Island.

Everything you think of that's any good in that area is not actually in Corpus Christi, except for the state aquarium and the aircraft carrier, which are both pretty cool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The Lexington is a fun overnight for a young teen group (our boy scout troop did it a couple times).

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Captain Monkey posted:

The Lexington is a fun overnight for a young teen group (our boy scout troop did it a couple times).

I was always jealous of scout troops that got to do this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I still remember the talk we got as kids on why you don't run on the ship, especially the flight deck. "The deck is non skid, which means ig you fall your skin does not skid on it as the rest of you leaves it behind"

Its amazing how much smaller the bunks are sleeping in them as dad instead of kid though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I still remember the talk we got as kids on why you don't run on the ship, especially the flight deck. "The deck is non skid, which means ig you fall your skin does not skid on it as the rest of you leaves it behind"

Its amazing how much smaller the bunks are sleeping in them as dad instead of kid though.

Haha I can still hear the guy saying that.

Then we always bought turkey necks and string and went crabbing under a bridge to do a crab boil.

Those were really fun trips.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

FoolyCharged posted:

Also the average American was smaller in the 40s when they built her.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That's out on Padre Island.

Everything you think of that's any good in that area is not actually in Corpus Christi, except for the state aquarium and the aircraft carrier, which are both pretty cool.

Is Rockport considered okay? My soon-to-be in-laws live there, and we always consider a trip out there to be a good time. I grew up in Oklahoma and have really just lived landlocked, so anything that isn't completely landlocked is impressive.

And the state aquarium is fantastic.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
First hand info from working in the Supply Chain dept at a hosptial southwest of Houston:

We are SLAMMED right now. Past two weeks Emergency dept. was continually increasing in traffic, and now in my shift (3rd aka graveyard) the dept. is either near max capacity or at max (yesterday was the first day in a long time I saw patient overflow in the dept. hallways).

We have two ICUs, long term and post surgery. Both are either near or at max capacity. Haven't seen it like that in a long time. I honestly don't know how they are managing patient flow at the moment.

Patient floors are split into three floors, each floor split into three wings. When the pandemic was originally hitting, at its height each floor converted one wing each into COVID only wings. Eventually one floor's wing stayed COVID only while the others converted back. In the past two weeks, the other two wings have been converted back into COVID only to handle the influx of confirmed cases.

As my dept. handles all the supply rooms, we are responsible for not only stocking them daily, but for setting up new rooms. The Postpartum floor is currently having a section renovated with additional patient rooms, and we're responsible for setting up two new supply rooms for that floor. We were just told that the plans for our supply rooms have accelerated, and while we couldn't confirm it, it seems like the accelerated demand is due to wanting emergency available rooms for non-COVID patient overflow.

Again, I'm not in a dept. that is directly responsible for patient care, but as we supply all dept. on all floors, we see how the hospital flows. ICUs are slammed. Emergency is slammed. Elective surgeries are up. Cardiac dept. operations are up. Labor/Deliveries are up. Postpartum occupation is up.

I cannot stress this enough -- ABBOTT IS A loving IDIOT. I'm not a high-level hospital executive. I'm a cog in the machine there and I see the obvious, the hands-off approach is not working, and the fact that Abbott and the general population have embraced what is a mix of ignorance, incompetence, and outright pride in republican/conservative stupidity toward this is loving sickening.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are people in TX back to taking this at all seriously yet?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

From driving on an errand today, no. The brunch crowd was out in force, maskless.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No.

Generally masks are still seen as GOVERNMENT OPPRESSION, and the governor of this state still waves the flag of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, whatever mask mandate that is passed is toothless.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went on a motorcycle ride earlier and there were tons of packed restaurant parking lots

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FBS posted:

I went on a motorcycle ride earlier and there were tons of packed restaurant parking lots

Yeah, people are so goddamned stupid, it's like they think that Abbott has a magic machine that when he turns the Restaurant Occupy dial up from 25% to 50% to 75%, that automatically lowers the infection rate.

What a loving failed experiment, humanity was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

our county judge just put in a thing saying businesses not requiring customers wear masks will face a 1k fine, but it sounds pretty toothless and entirely based around reporting and all but people are still getting all bitchy

so no

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Holy gently caress +4430.

That's a scary shape on that curve...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Is Rockport considered okay? My soon-to-be in-laws live there, and we always consider a trip out there to be a good time. I grew up in Oklahoma and have really just lived landlocked, so anything that isn't completely landlocked is impressive.

And the state aquarium is fantastic.

Yeah! It's one of the places with the good poo poo that everyone pretends is Corpus Christi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1274451298566488069