Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

AtomikKrab posted:

I never said I want luffy to take him. I just want him to ask, it would be great... Also they need a cabin boy ala shanks and buggy

I'd get a kick out of the straw hats gaining a crew member who's legitimately as strong as Luffy, but gets treated as a cabin boy on the ship and has that as their official title in the crew. Or a new surprise crew member who they don't really get along with and isn't nakama status, but he's too strong for them to kick off the ship or he has some leverage on them (hidden bomb on the Sunny, maybe?). Maybe it's just me, but I'd be happy to see someone get on the crew super quickly after their introduction (even if it's a temporary join-up), and doubly so if their morality is basically 1/2 of 3/4th of the way to a typical OP villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Pirate Rap is actually the best OP, sorry that you guys just can't admit it.

Who is Yamoto? Place your bets!
  • Bart's penpal and cofounder of the Luffy Fan Club
  • Gin's finally back
  • Luffy's half brother("I have a mom?")
  • Kaido hooked up with a loyal Kozuki retainer who raised her son right
  • An Oden fanboy who sees his chance to meet a real Kozuki
  • A teenager rebelling because Shut Up Dad
  • A Hisoka fanboy who must save that which has the properties of both rubber and gum

Also my niece loved watching dinosaur stuff on youtube, so now this is back in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofcz0Zd8OlA&t=10s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/TinaFate1/status/1273856732846907392

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flexing your observation haki I see...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

The Pirate Rap is actually the best OP, sorry that you guys just can't admit it.

• Gin's finally back
  • A Hisoka fanboy who must save that which has the properties of both rubber and gum

hes kaidos son and inherited odens will and probably some freak of nature that looks nothing like kaido at all

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gyges posted:

• Gin's finally back

aota

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm never saying never but i like yamato already but i just don't see more than one new member here and its carrot. Yamato seems more like the enforcer for new Wano that liked oden or w/e and is staying to protect momo

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

I'm going with friend of Ace

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Yamato read about Luffy wrecking the wedding on Whole Cake and wants him to do the same thing about his own wedding

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I wanted Luffy & Zoro bro adventures :sigh:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Thoren posted:

I wanted Luffy & Zoro bro adventures :sigh:

Same. There's a disturbing lack of Luffy-Zoro tag team battles in the series.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is there any chance Big Mom falls in this arc? Feels like she’s too linked to Elbaph to not be a focus there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is there any chance Big Mom falls in this arc? Feels like she’s too linked to Elbaph to not be a focus there.
That's an interesting question. If Luffy beats Kaido, taking out Big Mom is going to be a step down in terms of stakes, or at least a horizontal move. So what's going to happen to her? Will someone else take her out in the chaos here? What would her role be in a post-Kaido narrative?

One thing I can imagine having a satisfying narrative arc to it is beating Kaido with a truly team effort. Kidd, Law and Luffy all get recognized for their roles. Plus Marco or whoever else. There are a bunch of strong ambitious guys here. The headlines would be "Emperor taken down by a bunch of dudes!" Then if there's an Elbaf arc with Big Mom again as an antagonist, if Luffy manages to defeat her in single combat then there's another oh poo poo moment where the headline is, "Emperor taken down by Luffy!"

The other option is Big Mom gets a redemption arc in Elbaf and is never defeated.

So yeah, I'd guess she goes down here or one of the two above scenarios. But even if she "goes down" here, she can still play a role in an Elbaf story. She probably won't actually be killed. Maybe she'll retire and let Katakuri take over her empire, and one of her kids will take her to see Elbaf when the Strawhats visit or something.

Big Mom is one of my favorite villains in this series mainly because I have no idea where here character is going. Villains are usually pretty obvious in Shounen- they're going to lurk in the background as a looming menace until they get beat, and sometimes end up as side characters afterwards. You can build a villain up forever, but when you focus on them directly, they're going to be dealt with one way or another. But not Big Mom. She had her arc and all Luffy managed was to barely get away alive. And that was an amazing triumph. But weirdly she's not the lurking main antagonist after that. She's become a side character without being beaten or even reasonably contested. She remains an insurmountable force in the world after being directly challenged for a whole arc.

I want to see where that's going, because I have no idea!

She's just a really interesting character on top of that. Her ideals and values are actually... pretty okay. She essentially wants everyone to get along and eat good food together. She's a villain because she's impulsive and petulant- often too emotional or greedy to consider how she's hurting others. And she has that emotional pattern because she's always been too monstrously strong for anyone to check her impulses or call her out. On some level she's a child who doesn't know any better because she never had to put up with anything she didn't want to.

That's... not exactly evil. It's monstrous and abusive and she needs to be stopped. But it's different than most other villains and I think it makes for a really interesting character.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In a series with a lot of great villains, I really think Big Mom is my favorite. She's been executed so well from introduction to now, where when she was properly introduced as this unstoppable force of destruction and the series even now hasn't backed off from that at all - she's never even been properly threatened. After the assassination attempt failed, she's been pretty much undefeated aside from the extremely silly fluke against Queen that basically doesn't count.

One Piece doesn't really have the, like, runtime real estate to have another training arc or sequence without throwing its pace off immensely, so I can only imagine that the series is going to end with Big Mom and Kaido being basically undefeatable one-on-one regardless of what happens - maybe the Straw Hat crew manages to take out the entirety of their crews respectively, maybe they team up with Shanks, or whatever, but they're definitely not the final villain in the sense that they're obstacles they need to get through to get to One Piece, and that's super refreshing.

It all also makes perfect sense, given the existence of Blackbeard, who in comparison is definitely going to be the traditional kind of obstacle that needs defeating, but is clearly not as dangerous individually as either Big Mom or Kaido, and he hasn't been dealt with yet. Whatever happens with Im I have no idea. The series is in the final stretch and I'm very here for it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm thinking Luffy and Zoro with the other Supernovas beat Kaido while the rest of the crew, but primarily Sanji and Nami defeat Big Mom. I say defeat instead of beat because they won't physically overpower her but win some more clever way. Not sure what that will be yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sanji will cook Big Mom into a food coma.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Gyges posted:

Having Hody and his crew almost taken away by slavers is still the dumbest loving idea. Just have 12 more scenes of blinking if that's what you're going to do when you go write out some insert filler.

I'm like 95% sure this is the exact scene where I dropped the anime forever.

I saw this happening, and I don't remember what I may have actually said out loud, but I turned it off, and never watched a single episode since.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'll be honest, though, Kaido's reputation as being undefeatable in one-on-one combat does seem like an open invitation in a story like this. Oda's emphasised so hard that you need a team to take him down that the Straw Hats actually doing that like everyone else seems like it would be a bit disappointing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Luffy already got his shot at 1v1ing Kaido. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Luffy already got his shot at 1v1ing Kaido. :colbert:

Pfft, not the first tine he's got his rear end kicked by someone he later soloed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luffy is on Round 4 with Kaidou, he's getting his rear end beat, he brought in the other Strawhats to help, they're also getting their rear end beat.

All seems lost.......but wait....hold on........

THAT'S MORIA'S MUSIC!!!!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

You joke but Perona could probably ruin Kaido.
edit: wait her power is ineffective on gloomy people, I forgot and got it backwards

Libra fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I would love it if whereever the strawhats went big mom would follow them around until elbaf

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Libra posted:

You joke but Perona could probably ruin Kaido.
edit: wait her power is ineffective on gloomy people, I forgot and got it backwards

I'M ALREADY NEGATIVE *swigs bottle*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll be honest, though, Kaido's reputation as being undefeatable in one-on-one combat does seem like an open invitation in a story like this. Oda's emphasised so hard that you need a team to take him down that the Straw Hats actually doing that like everyone else seems like it would be a bit disappointing.

Oda does really good team fights when they actually happen so i'd be way more interested in the Strawhats taking on Kaido than Luffy doing it one-on-one.

At the very least Zoro and Luffy are almost certainly both going to take him on because you don't give Zoro the one sword that has ever injured Kaido and then not have him fight Kaido.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Big Mom's kids ever make it over the waterfall, I could see them managing to gently caress everything up for Kaido and their mom by trying to win everything for the Big Mom Fam. Thinking they could totally handle team Supernova, so they attack Kaido and end up getting rolled after causing Kaido to lose.

A large part of being The Pirate King is public perception over reality. Roger was a boss, but judging by what we've seen of his interactions with the old guard Emperors he wasn't so powerful that he was untouchable. So Luffy and the gang scrapping by with some luck and a technical win would be good enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oda does really good team fights when they actually happen so i'd be way more interested in the Strawhats taking on Kaido than Luffy doing it one-on-one.

At the very least Zoro and Luffy are almost certainly both going to take him on because you don't give Zoro the one sword that has ever injured Kaido and then not have him fight Kaido.

You could always have Luffy versus Kaido while the Straw Hats as a team take on Big Mom (and her kids).

Besides, this is One Piece. The sword's never as important as the wielder.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Luffy and Zoro vs Kaido sounds like a super rad tag team since Zoro still needs to beat a dragon and Kaido’s dragon form is his weakness anyway. I don’t really know how anyone but Luffy and Zoro could possibly harm Big Mom though, like impede her until they get there sure but Sanji isn’t even very good at armamant haki yet.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Strawhats work together to literally throw Big Mom at Kaidou in hopes that both problems will resolve each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

You could always have Luffy versus Kaido while the Straw Hats as a team take on Big Mom (and her kids).

Besides, this is One Piece. The sword's never as important as the wielder.

There could be two cool team fights instead of just one.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPXRrbHTpw zoro already killed a dragon in one piece

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My theory about big mom is she will be defeated in part with the help of her crew. I watched an interesting video that pointed out how flawed her crew is in that she doesn't encourage original thought or ambition. That has to play a part as their fatal flaw as funny as it is to see the Big Mom pirates get comically owned it should also be setting something up.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

JackDarko posted:

My theory about big mom is she will be defeated in part with the help of her crew. I watched an interesting video that pointed out how flawed her crew is in that she doesn't encourage original thought or ambition. That has to play a part as their fatal flaw as funny as it is to see the Big Mom pirates get comically owned it should also be setting something up.

Her two oldest sons have made it pretty clear that they feel they'd be better off without her, so, like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The obvious way to deal with Big Mom is to let Marco stall her. He probably won't even be able to seriously hurt her, but there's a good chance he could hold her off for several hours.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Crazy baseless theory: what if Kaido loses, then big mom eats him and also gets a second fruit power because it turns out cannibalism really is the answer to everything in this series and no one knew (except blackbeard).

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
my personal FEELING is that the multi-power thing has something to do with the yami-yami, since blackbeard staked it out and killed for it after some serious undercover work/subterfuge despite his personality being so boisterous and generally, um, anti-stealth? or not who knows but i am definitely interested in learning more blackbeard backstory

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 21, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

"Let me tell you kids about the REAL greatest treasure - Jesus."

Hey Luffy!

Jesus. man

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Crazy baseless theory: what if Kaido loses, then big mom eats him and also gets a second fruit power because it turns out cannibalism really is the answer to everything in this series and no one knew (except blackbeard).

Wapol's been way ahead of the curve, playing four dimensional chess this whole time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bacon flaps posted:

my personal FEELING is that the multi-power thing has something to do with the yami-yami, since blackbeard staked it out and killed for it after some serious undercover work/subterfuge despite his personality being so boisterous and generally, um, anti-stealth? or not who knows but i am definitely interested in learning more blackbeard backstory

The thing is that Burgess in Dressarosa seemed to have the ability to do it too, since he was talking about killing Sabo and taking his fruit. Maybe he just meant he’d drag his corpse all the way back for Blackbeard to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

The thing is that Burgess in Dressarosa seemed to have the ability to do it too, since he was talking about killing Sabo and taking his fruit. Maybe he just meant he’d drag his corpse all the way back for Blackbeard to do it.

He doesnt have a fruit