Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mocking a pandemic that killed 120k americans is just some real next level poo poo

"we gotta 'nother one over here. young man's 10 years old. he's got the sniffles. he'll recover in about 15 minutes, that's a case!"

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

zer0spunk posted:

mocking a pandemic that killed 120k americans is just some real next level poo poo

"we gotta 'nother one over here. young man's 10 years old. he's got the sniffles. he'll recover in about 15 minutes, that's a case!"
:tif:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I know this is fake and all, but I think we all need this right now

e: he called it the "kung flu" while doing a lame jeff foxworthy style bit about how many names it has. someone shoot me in the loving face already

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 21, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FlamingLiberal posted:

All of the meatpacking plants in the Midwest are like this right now, and are being forced to stay open by Presidential executive order because the owners whined to Trump.

And it turns out that during the time that they were saying we might have a meat shortage, exports to China were still at pre-pandemic levels

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bird with big dick posted:

Why is your 6 year old who doesn’t interact with anyone but you and your wife washing her hands so much that they’re cracked and bleeding

What do you think an in person therapist does that a video therapist doesn’t?

:hmmyes:
When little kids freak out it's often because they are picking up anxiety from their parents, not because they didn't see their friends for a while. Kids are adaptable. As long as the parents are a rock, most neurotypical kids deal with changing circumstances pretty well. If the parents are melting down, that will fuel the kids anxiety. A video therapist could help.

Like lots of mildly affluent people have a little cottage in lake country or whatever where the family goes for a month in the summer. Nobody worries that being stuck in a cabin in the woods with just your family and no one your own age is going to stunt a kids growth or make them crazy. At worst it's boring, not traumatic. But have that same summer vacation where the parents keep whispering and freaking out about having to hide out at the cabin because a zombie apocalypse ravaging the city (despite never seeing any zombies) and the kids are gonna have a bad time.

If you're miserable, they're miserable.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I hope that 10 year olds obese mom with diabeetus dies if shes at that ralley.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Glumslinger posted:

And it turns out that during the time that they were saying we might have a meat shortage, exports to China were still at pre-pandemic levels

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
An apartment block with 700 people was locked down without warning and not even an official description of why and for how long (the text can be looked at in city hall) and the people are fairly unhappy.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Facebook Aunt posted:

When little kids freak out it's often because they are picking up anxiety from their parents, not because they didn't see their friends for a while. Kids are adaptable. As long as the parents are a rock, most neurotypical kids deal with changing circumstances pretty well. If the parents are melting down, that will fuel the kids anxiety. A video therapist could help.

Like lots of mildly affluent people have a little cottage in lake country or whatever where the family goes for a month in the summer. Nobody worries that being stuck in a cabin in the woods with just your family and no one your own age is going to stunt a kids growth or make them crazy. At worst it's boring, not traumatic. But have that same summer vacation where the parents keep whispering and freaking out about having to hide out at the cabin because a zombie apocalypse ravaging the city (despite never seeing any zombies) and the kids are gonna have a bad time.

Hear that OP? If the quarantine is having adverse effects on your child's mental health, it's your fault for being a bad parent

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Facebook Aunt posted:

As someone who works extensively with kids I'm pretty comfortable saying that the last three months of social isolation have been a little bit more troubling for six year olds than the average summer trip to the cabin on the lake.

A lot of my Pre-K martial arts students are really struggling with adapting to the current situation, and the overwhelming majority of them are not responding to video based training very well (or are just flat out unwilling to engage at all over Zoom).

I can't imagine that video based therapy would be any easier for them.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

I actually appreciate this point of view. This was basically what I told my wife, your anxiety is making our daughter insane. She's really helicoptering about everything and my daughter I feel has fed on it. Thing is, before she had an outlet. She could be around her teacher and friends. She would see other people and it would slide off. Now it can't go anywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

feelix posted:

Hear that OP? If the quarantine is having adverse effects on your child's mental health, it's your fault for being a bad parent

Nah. Personally I was always more freaked out by my mom's emotional state than by whatever was causing her emotional state. That seems pretty common? If your parents are scared or angry you're not gonna feel safe.

That doesn't make them "bad parents" it makes them human beings with human emotions. A video therapist can help.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I actually appreciate this point of view. This was basically what I told my wife, your anxiety is making our daughter insane. She's really helicoptering about everything and my daughter I feel has fed on it. Thing is, before she had an outlet. She could be around her teacher and friends. She would see other people and it would slide off. Now it can't go anywhere.

Yeah, it's a tough situation. Good luck.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

That doesn't make them "bad parents" it makes them human beings with human emotions. A video therapist can help.

Prioritizing their own insecurities over the children's is what makes someone in that situation a less than optimal parent.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Prioritizing their own insecurities over the children's is what makes someone in that situation a less than optimal parent.

If only everyone was a shining beacon of nobility and selflessness like GBS posters.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

i;m thinking about thos meats

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

feelix posted:

:jerkbag:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mithaldu posted:

An apartment block with 700 people was locked down without warning and not even an official description of why and for how long (the text can be looked at in city hall) and the people are fairly unhappy.

This is cyberpunk as hell

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Block war

communistnkinky69
Jun 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

I have sympathy for any child that's negatively effected by the pandemic, physically or mentally, but I don't have sympathy for their dumb idiot parent who has for months been trying to downplay the severity of the pandemic while trying to get everyone to pretend like nothing is happening

The problem doesn't sound like the parent is being too calm man. Sounds like the parents have been listening way too much the the news and being given way too much of a diet of fear. If they were downplaying it well, maybe their kid wouldnt be literally dying slowly day by day due to fear.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Never should have let the fallout shelter program be cancelled. Could have had food and shelter for a 2 week extreeeem quarantine for everyone. Admittedly, there would have been some murders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ACI6Mq-g0

Now that's what I call a lockdown.

Three gallons of water to drink, each, for two weeks, and then no more water for anyone.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The President of the United States of America just bragged gleefully to his followers that he has told his people to test less.

Why test, why contact trace? If you don't test, there are no loving cases and the pandemic is over you loving idiots why am I the only one in the room with a brain?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chocobo posted:

The President of the United States of America just bragged gleefully to his followers that he has told his people to test less.

Why test, why contact trace? If you don't test, there are no loving cases and the pandemic is over you loving idiots why am I the only one in the room with a brain?

If only this policy were applied within the White House.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trumps gonna win the election but plot twist he’s in the hospital on a ventilator on election night.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Shaocaholica posted:

Trumps gonna win the election but plot twist he’s in the hospital on a ventilator on election night.

Please please. I’d take him being re-elected if he’s on a ventilator

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

communistnkinky69 posted:

The problem doesn't sound like the parent is being too calm man. Sounds like the parents have been listening way too much the the news and being given way too much of a diet of fear. If they were downplaying it well, maybe their kid wouldnt be literally dying slowly day by day due to fear.

The poster in question has been downplaying it in this thread and frequently parrots chud talking points, that's what I'm referring to

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Piggy Smalls posted:

President mike pence

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Mithaldu posted:

'Steine fliegen, Schüsse fallen'

great headline. Not so great situation.

Also, these riot cops with the white hazmat suits look like something out of a low budget star wars ripoff.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain the german thing for those of us who don't read

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Piggy Smalls posted:

Immortan Don

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1274587673819308032

fun video of how people here behave these days.
In one of the worst hit area's in Europe, these fucks didn't want to go home after the bars closed and had a party outside.

I feel nobody gives a gently caress anymore. I'm one of the few, if not the only one, wearing a mask in a store.
Few bother with the social distancing.
Even my super left wing friends all went back to our small studio and are organizing big get togethers.
I don't know, hope it's just me and it's not that bad.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

i'm not trying to tear into you here, but if your child needs an outlet to escape the negative effect her mother's neurosis have on her, it sounds to me like that's an abusive relationship between the two of them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1274587673819308032

fun video of how people here behave these days.
In one of the worst hit area's in Europe, these fucks didn't want to go home after the bars closed and had a party outside.

I feel nobody gives a gently caress anymore. I'm one of the few, if not the only one, wearing a mask in a store.
Few bother with the social distancing.
Even my super left wing friends all went back to our small studio and are organizing big get togethers.
I don't know, hope it's just me and it's not that bad.

I see a lot of that in Munich too, people sitting in packs together on parkbenches, filling restaurants etc. However, we have mandatory masks in public transport and shops and everybody complies. Plus there are a lot of people who are careful, my entire circle of friends has limited their contacts to very few people even though you are allowed to meet anyone as long as you are in groups of 5 max.

It's bad but a lot of people are treating it serious. It's just that the idiots are more visible because no new screws report on people sitting in their homes.

communistnkinky69
Jun 17, 2020

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

The poster in question has been downplaying it in this thread and frequently parrots chud talking points, that's what I'm referring to

I dont really care if you think someone said something wrong about covid. EVERYONE has been saying the wrong things about covid. The WHO got it wrong. China got it wrong. The researchers got it wrong. The charters got it wrong. The USA got it wrong.

We went from duh of course masks to only a jerk would wear a mask to only a jerk would not wear a mask. (We should all wear maks, this doesnt need debate).
We went from 100s of millions will surely die, if not worse, to basically no one is going to die, to millions will die, to actually maybe only 250,000 will die. (We still have no idea for sure)
We went from no human to human transmission, to human to human transmission. (This was obvious for weeks before the W.H.O changed their position)
We went from people getting double infected, to not, to maybe? We went from lifetime immunity to no immunity to maybe a year immunity? (we still have no idea for sure)

So no, maybe dont lose it on some parent for being a day or week behind whatever the latest update is on how much to scare your kids so they dont stop picking out their hair till they bleed.

Did everyone else forget at the start of this thing we were making fun of chuds for buying up masks and wearing them because they dont work and actually make you more likely to get sick? Turns out we were loving idiots.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
Didn't see this posted, but hard to wade through all the AMC/Trump Rally/Florida craziness.

I know Florida is crazy because, well, Florida. But are there any other states as dumb as mine?

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/tn-lawmakers-pass-resolution-saying-the-media-sensationalizes-covid-19-coverage

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/KlimaZen/status/1274617603206647808

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Baby State

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
There's been no cases in Macau for months after a mini surge of people returning from overseas. Still total of 45 cases and no deaths since the start. Everyone still wears masks all the time though. Except for at the gym, there everyone leaves them in the lockers(you need a temperature check and a declaration that you haven't been outside Macau when you enter). But aside from that the only people you see without masks are the occasional foreigner.

Happy to be in a safe place but wish this could end soon.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

communistnkinky69 posted:

Did everyone else forget at the start of this thing we were making fun of chuds for buying up masks and wearing them because they dont work and actually make you more likely to get sick? Turns out we were loving idiots.

This absolutely did not happen the way you're presenting it. There are a number of issues being conflated here, including the conversation surrounding medical masks vs. cloth masks, proper handling of PPE when in use, and questions surrounding the supply chain and whether it was appropriate for average people to be using hospital-grade masks when hospitals did not have enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

There Bias Two posted:

This absolutely did not happen the way you're presenting it. There are a number of issues being conflated here, including the conversation surrounding medical masks vs. cloth masks, proper handling of PPE when in use, and questions surrounding the supply chain and whether it was appropriate for average people to be using hospital-grade masks when hospitals did not have enough.

This is exactly what the guy is describing. And how it comes off to the average layperson. And it happened in national discourse too.

Of course we were having a legitimate debate. Did this kind of debate end up in terrible PR and people losing trust in health officials? Absolutely.

Sometimes the right facts still need the right marketing.