Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In your lifetime? I’d expect it within a couple of years. Bikes already have static aero stuff like the H2R does. Cars have had it for decades (RIP 3000GT VR4), it’s coming sooner rather than later.

Granted at first it will be on your crazy top end halo bikes like the Panigale, H2R, things like that, but it will make its way down eventually

I don't think so, unless you see it start showing up in MotoGP or maybe WSBK. There's no real market for it outside race replicas, and having your halo bikes faster and more advanced than your race specials is counterproductive. The exception I see to that is electric bike manufacturers who might use it for efficiency purposes like goddamntwisto said. That could be the thin end of the wedge that brings it to ICE bikes eventually, but not in any hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I think piaggio might be adding it on their three wheeler

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/piaggio-mp3-scooter-get-active-aero

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

So what this is telling me it's that once you go past 45 degrees of lean you're better off with lift than with downforce. Which is something active aero could help with.

Same problem but rotated - you need to make sure the lift is parallel to the ground, otherwise you're reducing the amount of grip, so again you're talking insanely complex systems to ensure this, and also the amount of wing surface you'd need to get any sort of actual appreciable lift would leave you with something that basically isn't a motorbike any more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

It’s just the standard license test here in the US . I’m looking at this one because I figured it would be an affordable way to make sure I’m going to like riding and give me a feel for riding the cruiser style.

So far, looking at bikes listed on Facebook marketplace is like shopping for a car on there . Only worse.

I’m not planning riding interstates any time soon, and I understand this bike tops out at 85mph. The two lane state route my house is on is typically 60mph . Is that going to be a problem? I’m not sure if that 85mph is something like a set limit or if 85mph was measured going down hill w/ a wind pushing

You will be fine both on the road and in any test with that bike. With low mileage on a decade old bike I would be expecting the tires to be completely hosed; people usually don't replace them while they're still black and round, but they expire after five years whether you use them or not. They have DOT date markings on them, usually is an oval with a four digit code, the last two digits are year of manufacture. Other from that just have a look at the chain to see if it's been taken care of, check carefully for drop damage.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

but they expire after five years
not quite

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/do-motorcycle-tires-have-shelf-life/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes quite?

quote:

In fact, most tire companies put the "sell by" date somewhere out around five years from the date of manufacture.
So unless you don't expect to wear the tire out within five years from the date that's stamped on the sidewall, don't sweat it.

Again, most tire manufacturers advise replacing a tire after it's around five years old.

Literally what I said.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I bought it, and while I haven’t ridden it much, I love it . The oval on the tires say 0818 . Thanks for the tip, I did not know that

I’ll get better pictures tomorrow after I clean it up.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 21, 2020

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
XVS250s are nice bikes that benefit a lot from taller gearing. They'll do interstate speeds that way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice one, it looks tidy enough, though I think that chain is knackered.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let’s talk about dirt/motocross/whatever bikes for a second.

I’ve been throwing around the idea of picking something up once I find some local trails I can ride. First because I think it would help me work up my skills in a setting where I can “comfortably” dump a bike, and second because I think it just sounds like fun. Now I’m trying to figure out what a good starting point would be, and what typical reasons for upgrading past that might be?

I don’t know how to articulate this question correctly so I’ll just try to blurt it out. I’ve ridden small displacement street bikes from 125 to 250cc and they all had enough torque and power that if I’d imagined myself on a dirt road or trail that I can’t imagine I’d ever need more. So to me I feel like buying a 125 or 200cc dirt bike would be more than plenty, assuming that I can somewhat compare the torque and power across the different types of bikes. I’m also 155lbs so I’m not really in danger of weighing a bike down too much.

I also know I ditched my Ninja 250 because I hated being limited to a cruising 5th gear on long straightaways. Something I don’t expect to be doing on an enduro.

So I guess in a roundabout way I’m trying to ask what factors go into a typical decision to move from a low CC enduro to something with more power? Unless a low displacement bike is going to seriously hamper me in some way why would I look at a 230/250CC vs a 125 if all I want to do is donk around a forest trail?

I’ve literally never planted a tire off-road in my life so I have no idea what my selection criteria should be.

Because right now an XR100 looks perfect.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 21, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Asking the same question because unless everything turns to poo poo this week I'm about to be able to move to the 10 acres of nearly bushland I've had my eye on for 6 months, which it turns out is about 200m down the road from a giant bush reserve with trails in it. I have ridden a trail bike on a friend's farm for like 20 minutes more than 2 decades ago and that's the extent of my dirt experience.

Still gonna have to do huge highway trips though, but a little dirt bike sounds like tons of fun.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Acknowledging the difference between real dirt bikes and small dual sports, and like builds character pointed out in the other thread, sub-200 cc seems to be the way to go. However, if you want a road legal thing to connect trails, some 250 cc dual sports are pretty fun as well, not too much to handle, and maybe less maintenance? They’ll be heavier, which could be an added challenge. But stuff like the TW 200, XT 225 or 250, KLX 250, DR 200 can be a gentle intro to off-pavement riding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We do have another thread dedicated to dirt riding but it doesn't get much traffic.

Where do you live?
What's your budget?
What's your height/weight?
What kind of riding do you want to do?

Unfortunately with what's going on right now, dirt bikes around me have become surprisingly expensive. Absolute poo poo bikes that would typically go for $500 are being listed for 2000. People have a lot of free time, things are opening up, some have Trump dollars (in the us) to spend on toys, and dirt bikes fit in with social distancing. With some people still working but not going out to spend their money, some people are actually saving right now. It's made the used bike market go haywire.

The type of riding will greatly determine what kind of bike will work best.

Motocross bikes are best used on a motocross track. They can do woods riding but their stiff suspension, kick start only, lack of lights, and race tuned gearing make them really harsh in trails. People try to convert them all the time but its never worth the effort and money vs just buying a more trail oriented bike. See YZ,CR, KX, RM etc. MX bikes tend to be the most common that I see on used sites.

Trail bikes work great for trails but don't do the big jumps and often lack high performance of mx bikes. I would consider these to be more family friendly bikes with lower seat height, come in a wife variety of engine sizes, soft suspension and engines that typically run forever. They are typically much cheaper than mx bikes new. I consider these shed/cabin bikes where people buy them for occasional use at vacation properties and ride them a few times a year. I've known people to own bikes like these and never maintain them but they run for 20 years. I've also seen a lot of shorter people riding these out at trails. See TTR 50-230, CRF 50-230, klx110-300.

Enduro bikes are what I would consider the bridge between the ultra racey MX bikes and the Uber soft trail bikes. Yamaha and Honda (also ktm and husky) have bridged the gap of high tech MX bikes and low tech trail bikes. These are often using the same full size frames and engines as the MX bikes but with wider transmissions, electric start, lights, less harsh suspension, etc. See WRf and CRFx for example.

I just got into dirt bikes two years ago at age 33 after wanting one my entire life. I raced bmx, dirt jumped and rode mountain bikes so I might have had a little bit of a head start on two wheels but I lacked the motorcycle experience. I ride friends bikes growing up but I never had one myself.

Im 5'10 160lbs and choose a Yamaha wr250f. It's more than enough bike for me to learn on and there's still a lot of room to grow. It has a very reliable engine and a huge aftermarket. I have dealers nearby and parts are easy to find. I live in Washington state with lots of tight technical single track and I rarely see people on anything bigger than a 250 four stroke with the exception of some of the larger Enduro two strokes by ktm and husky. Even at my height, I sometimes still struggle with the height on uneven ground. It has more power than I'll ever use. The resort I chose a wr is because I wanted a bike that was more trail oriented but with enough performance and suspension that jumps aren't entirely out of the question. I wanted something that can be made street legal which opens up a lot more riding for me. The wr was the most really available machine that I could find which also fit in my budget. Don't get me wrong, if I had less money I would have bought an old XR 200 and still have had a blast.

If you want to get into it here's my suggestion.

Give yourself a budget (include money for protective gear like boots, gloves, helmet, googles, chest/knee protection)
Determine the type of riding you want to do because it will determine the bike you'll look for
Go look at bikes in person to see if seat height is an issue and then narrow your results down from there. My riding partner passed on some bikes because they were way too tall.
Start looking for specific models (Wr250f/xr200/crf250x/klr230)
Look at several bikes before buying
Buy and ride.

It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll make my way to the dirt thread to just go inhale more info.

Short:

Budget: $CDN I’d love to be all-in at 3k but just random bike googling reveals that’s probably unlikely. I can go higher judiciously.
H/W: 5’10 155
Riding: This is what I’m investigating now. There’ no rocky trails so I’m thinking forest trails, but I’m very noncommittal as I’m still looking for places to ride. I’d love to have something I can ride rather than trailer to a trail so definitely something I can ride on-road as well. I’d expect it to top out at 80-100kph as that’s the backroads here.

Thank for the detailed write up — a lot to take in, and not something I can action until I can answer a few more questions about legality and availability of off-road trails in my area but that’s research I’m doing now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
1995 DR350SE worth $1900?

Per seller has 12K miles, clean title, new tires, rear rack. No red flags jumping out from the photos. It's like a 2 hour drive each way from me, I'm debating whether I want to go look at it.

I have to say I dig the paint and decals.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

A garage full of RC helicopters probably says more about the condition of the bike than a mechanical inspection will

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FBS posted:

A garage full of RC helicopters probably says more about the condition of the bike than a mechanical inspection will

Hahaha I was trying to figure out WTF those were.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

This. For real. That bike is probably flawless

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that frame color stock? Either that bike has basically never been ridden outside or it's been taken apart and refinished to some degree, it looks overly perfect to me.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Feels like running, decent condition bikes have a price floor even if they’re 25 years old. Anyway I’d buy that

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is that frame color stock? Either that bike has basically never been ridden outside or it's been taken apart and refinished to some degree, it looks overly perfect to me.

FBS posted:

It's probably taken apart and refinished on a bi-weekly schedule, even if it hasn't been ridden in the interrim.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
It looks like the earliest I'll be able to make it out to his area is Wednesday so knowing my luck it will sell before I can get to it. :(

Slavvy the frame was blue stock but I'm not sure if it was that shade, it's hard to judge from a photo but I thought it was a bit darker.

Edit: he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Boo for me.

Tyro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 22, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tyro posted:

It looks like the earliest I'll be able to make it out to his area is Wednesday so knowing my luck it will sell before I can get to it. :(

Slavvy the frame was blue stock but I'm not sure if it was that shade, it's hard to judge from a photo but I thought it was a bit darker.

Edit: he has someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Boo for me.

Get off the loving internet and go get it right now you dummy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Get off the loving internet and go get it right now you dummy.

This is actually what I needed to hear, thanks. One of my pet peeves is when my wife doesn't do something she wants to do because it's "too hard" due to the kids (we have 2 toddlers) and now I'm doing it. I love them but they aren't the end of our lives as adults. I'm going to stuff them in the car and go rent a trailer and get the bike this morning if it's still available. It will probably not be a fun 4 hours and will mean no real test ride but gently caress it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tyro posted:

and will mean no real test ride

Leave the kids as collateral.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can trust a person crazy enough to have that many RC Helicopters to both be an excellent mechanic and a terrible babysitter

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Those don't look big enough but I'm wondering how many quadrotor parents are going to tell their five year old "just grab on tight to this bit and hold it over your head" and then fly them round the back yard

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Those don't look big enough but I'm wondering how many quadrotor parents are going to tell their five year old "just grab on tight to this bit and hold it over your head" and then fly them round the back yard

The two larger ones in there might be able to generate enough lift to pull a 30lb toddler off the ground - those stunt 'copters have pretty crazy power/weight ratios and are capable of some mindblowing moves.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXSfFLGeVZA

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 22, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skip to 4:00 for the good stuff

https://youtu.be/uf6JKJyFLVI

But yeah it’s possible

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can trust a person crazy enough to have that many RC Helicopters to both be an excellent mechanic and a terrible babysitter

Yeah that's kind of where I arrived mentally also. Plus I don't even have a helmet with me (visiting family).

On my way out the door to grab the Uhaul trailer now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good luck! I'm living my dualsport dreams vicariously through you right now :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tyro posted:

This is actually what I needed to hear, thanks. One of my pet peeves is when my wife doesn't do something she wants to do because it's "too hard" due to the kids (we have 2 toddlers) and now I'm doing it. I love them but they aren't the end of our lives as adults. I'm going to stuff them in the car and go rent a trailer and get the bike this morning if it's still available. It will probably not be a fun 4 hours and will mean no real test ride but gently caress it.

I’ve started doing the same thing. Just grabbing the kid and taking her along for better or worse. Almost always works out just fine and the worst is an occasional lovely diaper in public or a meltdown cured with fruit snacks.
The DR350 is an excellent bike. You’ll like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jazzzzz posted:

The two larger ones in there might be able to generate enough lift to pull a 30lb toddler off the ground - those stunt 'copters have pretty crazy power/weight ratios and are capable of some mindblowing moves.

Having never see a video like this, I laughed when it finished its smooth takeoff and started batshit glitching.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Tyro posted:

1995 DR350SE worth $1900?

Per seller has 12K miles, clean title, new tires, rear rack. No red flags jumping out from the photos. It's like a 2 hour drive each way from me, I'm debating whether I want to go look at it.

I have to say I dig the paint and decals.

Very nice shape and the PO is a supernerd. That's a buy.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

WTF those things move like hummingbirds, I was amazed at how fast they could shoot up and down

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well. I am trying to remain positive and hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Bike was not bad but not in as good of shape as pics suggested. I almost ran when I saw rust in tank but figured I could buy an Acerbis if needed. It started right up from cold, I ran I around the block with no issues. Then I started it a few minutes later and no issues.

Now I'm home and tried a few times to start it, didn't want to start and battery got wiped out in about 5-6 attempts.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Can you bump start it?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you bump start it?

Tried once before going to return the trailer, gonna try again in 2nd gear when I get home.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tyro posted:

Well. I am trying to remain positive and hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Bike was not bad but not in as good of shape as pics suggested. I almost ran when I saw rust in tank but figured I could buy an Acerbis if needed. It started right up from cold, I ran I around the block with no issues. Then I started it a few minutes later and no issues.

Now I'm home and tried a few times to start it, didn't want to start and battery got wiped out in about 5-6 attempts.

Did you turn the petcock off during transit? Could be flooded.

How about the kicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Did you turn the petcock off during transit? Could be flooded.

How about the kicker?

No kicker, I think it was an option or add on for the electric start models.

And yeah I left the petcock on during the drive. So hopefully it's just a weak battery combined with me being dumb.