Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

BB2K posted:

I don't know if GU is a thing outside of Japan, but they started an Eva Collab yesterday

https://www.gu-japan.com/jp/feature/evacollab/men/sp/

I picked up the Tokyo 3 hooded sweatshirt and a couple other shirts, they rule but are a little oversized so I'll probably exchange them

What kind of ghoul makes a short-sleeved hoodie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

2reachmu posted:

May as well be the Gendo of the NFL

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2reachmu posted:

People who wear short-sleeved shirts year-round or like the layered look

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Robviously posted:

May as well be the Gendo of the NFL

Get in the loving formation, Tommy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BB2K posted:

I don't know if GU is a thing outside of Japan, but they started an Eva Collab yesterday

https://www.gu-japan.com/jp/feature/evacollab/men/sp/

I picked up the Tokyo 3 hooded sweatshirt and a couple other shirts, they rule but are a little oversized so I'll probably exchange them

Anyone know if there is a way to order from here to the US?

Also here's another look at Unit O2

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They probably won’t ship direct but you can get a forwarder like Tenso to move it to you. You may have trouble paying with a credit card issued outside of Japan, not much of a way around that. Also remember that Asian clothes are generally a size or two smaller than US equivalent so order a little bigger.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

They probably won’t ship direct but you can get a forwarder like Tenso to move it to you. You may have trouble paying with a credit card issued outside of Japan, not much of a way around that. Also remember that Asian clothes are generally a size or two smaller than US equivalent so order a little bigger.

Thanks for the heads up! I just hit up a friend in Japan if he could buy and ship it to me, and then yeah looked up a sizing guide online.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

wtf

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Red Crown posted:

Had a down weekend and finally got around to watching the Netflix edition of the TV series and EoE. I'd never seen either before and barely had any idea what they were about.

:stare:

EoE was a fascinating piece of work but wow it was so depressing. It shits all over Shinji, who is now not just a broken person but an actively repugnant one. It really blew me away that he tries to kill Asuka TWICE in varying states of (un?)reality. His character is completely unresolved, he's just a bad, pathetic person who didn't grow at all. It's also such a left turn from his relationship to Asuka in the TV series which didn't have so many hideously dark tones. Misato goes from a struggling, sometimes failing protagonist to "I'll bang you if you robot" out of what feels like nowhere. Rei is just a completely soulless plot device. I gotta say I dug the original 25-26 ending, since all the characters get some kind of resolution. I honestly wish I'd just capped it at Congratulations! and walked away.

Also...is it just me or are there a ton of plot holes? If episode 1 is the third angel attack, the show never explains what the second angel was, given that the first is presumably Adam / Lilith. Or why there's a Tokyo-3 built specifically to withstand the attacks. The show starts talking about S2 drives somewhere, keeps referring to them as critically important, and never explains what they are.

I could write for pages in answer to your questions, but the easiest way explain is: Evangelion is partially a show about robots but also a character study of psychologically damaged people.

I personally think it was a form of therapy for Anno ( or a mirror for his own psychological growth), that Anno wanted to express his own ideas about psychological growth, life and the human condition. It is why episode 25/26 and the last 20 minutes of EOE are talking about Shinji and his interactions in life.

Shinji thinks that life is painful and hides away from that pain, he thinks that it is easier to hide away than be hurt. He thinks that others know better and that they will keep him safe and make him happy. Shinji thinks that he has to adapt himself to gain happiness and validation from existence rather than be his inner self (easier not to be hurt when you are what people want you to be....).

NGE and EoE are the brutal portrayal of how psychologically painful and damaging such beliefs are to Shinji (Though NGE and EoE shows that characters like Asuka, Misato, Rei ... EVEN Gendo are the result of damaged/trauma influenced beliefs also).

I love the last 20 minutes of EOE because it is where Shinji is able to truly observe and understand his situation and finally grow to accept himself, engage with life knowing that though it can be painful, he has a chance to be happy if he chooses to be truly his autonomous self(a psychological state of growth which is immensely difficult to attain). To me I will always remember it for the line "After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy"

NGE I suspect, also is a attempt by Anno to create a show that induces this type of observance and growth in the viewers, especially those who escape into fantasy. Something that is... instrumental in helping humans grow and develop into better people.

EOE was episode 25/26 if they had the budget to finish the series.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 21, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I mean, "X is partly a story about Y but it's also a story about people" is true for every story that features people and some that don't.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Netflix dubbed End of Evangelion as well?

Did they fix the butchering of the word "Eva"?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
no and they ruined the best line in the whole movie (“i’m so hosed up” -> “i’m the lowest of the low”

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Netflix version of Eva is irredeemably bad. Stick with the ADV dub.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i don’t think it’s that awful BUT between that line and the kowaru Line translations it ain’t great.

I think it’s acted fine at least?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
for the acting, trans shinji is pretty good but asuka sucks and rei is rei. it's fine but if you really have to watch the dub, the ADV one is better imo. as to the translations, it's pretty bad and weird but you won't miss out on any major plot stuff, just a lot of the idiosyncrasies and character. it's not inexcusable to watch the Netflix version, but i don't know any fans who prefer it.

and i really wish people would stop saying ep 25/26 were because of low budget. it's a myth that comes up all the time without any backing outside of fan theories.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 22, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's never been any kind of evidence that Evangelion ever had budget problems

Now, on the other hand, there's been plenty of evidence that Evangelion had production problems, specifically due to a bizarre work pipeline where episodes where being rewritten up until the last possible second. Kazuya Tsurumaki referred to the production schedule as a "disaster" in an interview.

Basically 25/26 aren't the way they are because of money, but because of time. 26 was, start to finish, made in three days.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 22, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Rad that they made a masterpiece in 3 days.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

:hmmyes:

Beefstew posted:

The Netflix version of Eva is irredeemably bad. Stick with the subs

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My ideal Evangelion TV dub is Casey Mongillo's Shinji plus Funimation's Rebuild of Eva dub cast and a Funimation script that probably would have been better than ADV's but not nearly as stiff and literal and boring as the Netflix one

Just sort of mashing everything together like a Dub Instrumentality Project.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I still find it so weird that the Eva/Xenogears parallels extend all the way to both having completely insane and incoherent final acts due to production troubles.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also to really hammer home the budget thing: anime shows don't 'run out of budget'. They run out of time, they run out of skilled artists, they don't run out of money. TV Anime is actually pretty cheap to make as far as animation goes, and every show tends to have around the same budget give or take a little.

If you look at a show and go "wow this looks cheap", that's not because it's actually cheap, it's because the staff animating the episode are inexperienced or just straight up not good at what they're being asked to do, or they're normally good but did not have nearly enough time to do a good job.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Usually the cause of “budget” issues in anime is just bad direction, nobody’s given timely instructions and production hours get wasted

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pretty good posted:

I still find it so weird that the Eva/Xenogears parallels extend all the way to both having completely insane and incoherent final acts due to production troubles.

The key difference is that Tetsuya Takahashi eventually "got one right" with Xenoblade Chronicles; he hasn't delivered a full-package game like that since (or before, really), but that's another story. Hideki Anno, meanwhile, is still trying to find a way to "stick the landing" on Evangelion, and we're all waiting with baited breath to see if 3.0+1.0 is that long-awaited moon shot or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
evangelion already has two good endings, rebuild adding a third would just be icing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
well, for everyone not named Rei anyways

i'm still hoping she gets a conclusion that isn't "after being callously used by everyone she knew she spent the rest of her existence as some kind of ghost outside of time"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Beefstew posted:

Stick with the ADV dub.

Also irredeemably bad.

Blockhouse posted:

26 was, start to finish, made in three days.

People say this but it's a misinterpretation. It was written in three days in January, animated in February/March, dubbed first half of March, broadcast final week of March.

Evangelion episodes have two rough drafts, a final draft, a storyboard, layout animatics, key animation, tweening, painting, photography, dialog recording, sfx dubbing, and editing. And while everyone thinks of the hand drawn marker pen sequence and the pencil animation sequence people forget there's a literal 4 minute chunk of actual animated cels.

3 months is very tight and is why it turned out the way it did, but you can't do all of this in 3 days.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

what? i like the performance a lot and it brings an interesting angle to the character. it'd be way better if they kept the entire Kaworu plot intact, but Mongillo's acting is very good despite what they had to work with and what was cut. for the record, it's not a slur, i'm trans.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I’m at least willing to say that Mongillo was a worthy successor to Spencer’s performance as Shinji. I blame most of the issues with the Netflix version on Khara being a bunch of overbearing jackasses with regards to the script.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Million Ghosts posted:

what? i like the performance a lot and it brings an interesting angle to the character. it'd be way better if they kept the entire Kaworu plot intact, but Mongillo's acting is very good despite what they had to work with and what was cut. for the record, it's not a slur, i'm trans.

That's not a sarcastic emote, that poster appreciates your take.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

That's not a sarcastic emote, that poster appreciates your take.

:hmmyes:

Million Ghosts posted:

i am also trans :love: and yes, it was an unironic appreciation post

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont think anyone has a huge issue with the Netflix cast. Preferences are preferences, but i don't remember anyone seriously sticking out like a sore thumb.

The localization itself is the issue. It's rear end.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I dont think anyone has a huge issue with the Netflix cast. Preferences are preferences, but i don't remember anyone seriously sticking out like a sore thumb.

The localization itself is the issue. It's rear end.

Also the fact that the original cast petitioned to be included, at least as an alternate dub track, since Netflix owns the rights to it, and they just said "nah".
And the fact that Netflix flew them down to audition and basically told them that they were just doing this for PR purposes and didn't plan on seriously considering them.
And then Netflix threatened Tiffany Grant and Amanda Winn Lee with legal action and mandated that they stop speaking negatively about the dub in public. (I know this because I spoke to the two of them personally.)

In other words, Khara sucks poo poo and the localization sucks poo poo, but Netflix is also guilty.
Gainax/Khara supposedly tried to push the same lovely scripts on ADV and Funimation, but they were smart enough to push back and handle their own vocalizations. Netflix just rolled over because they well and truly don't give a gently caress about the product they're releasing. After all, the billion dollar company was apparently too cheap to license Fly Me to the Moon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Szmitten posted:

Also irredeemably bad.

People say this but it's a misinterpretation. It was written in three days in January, animated in February/March, dubbed first half of March, broadcast final week of March.

Evangelion episodes have two rough drafts, a final draft, a storyboard, layout animatics, key animation, tweening, painting, photography, dialog recording, sfx dubbing, and editing. And while everyone thinks of the hand drawn marker pen sequence and the pencil animation sequence people forget there's a literal 4 minute chunk of actual animated cels.

3 months is very tight and is why it turned out the way it did, but you can't do all of this in 3 days.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The line about Kaworu's grace or whatever was enough for me to disavow the new localization forever. I'm sure the voice actors are fine but the old ones were too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m just glad that the old dub gave some work for Eddy after he grew up and left the cul-de-sac.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Regalingualius posted:

I’m just glad that the old dub gave some work for Eddy after he grew up and left the cul-de-sac.

EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!

AAAAAAAH

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Eva dub predates Ed edd and eddy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

The Eva dub predates Ed edd and eddy

it old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, yeah, but it’s set in 2015.