Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goodness posted:

Single buckets this year as I didn't want to invest too much for my first try. I couldn't find any local grocers that had free 5 gallons

I got a bunch of free 11l pails from an ice cream shop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We can get 5 gallon buckets cheap as poo poo from local dairies. Most of mine are from Chinese restaurants - soy sauce goes fast.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

goodness posted:

The best spot in my yard for sun is along the fenceline, and I'm trying to think of a solution for a shallow, long, waterproof trough that I can bottom water 5-gallon buckets from.

Something like this

With buckets, you could just drill holes an inch or so from the bottom so there’s a reservoir in each one. I drilled holes in the bottom of mine, but I think that should work?

YMMV, but you should only need to water twice a week. I just lined up all my buckets next to one another and ran a soaker hose through all the handles, off a Y coupler from the garden. That seems to be working well so far, and just waters 1” twice a week, off my timer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you need to make an arbitrarily sized trough in the future lay out some sleepers as a perimeter and staple thick plastic sheeting over/in it. Not pretty but whatever size/shape you need for cheap.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

goodness posted:

The best spot in my yard for sun is along the fenceline, and I'm trying to think of a solution for a shallow, long, waterproof trough that I can bottom water 5-gallon buckets from.

Something like this

IDk if mosquitoes are a problem in your area, but that thing looks like a giant mosquito breeding puddle to me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So trying square foot gardening this year in a raised bed and so far so good. We cant hardly keep up with all of the romaine and butter lettuce the garden has been producing. And we've started to harvest some chives as well.

My question is how many people have used this method with tomato plants? I planted some purple cherokee indeterminates and I feel like they're going to get to big and crowd each other out. They already seem to be and they are just now starting to flower and fruit.

Do I need to drastically cut them back or should I just let them get crazy and try to harvest whatever I can get? I have been pruning suckers at least.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

IDk if mosquitoes are a problem in your area, but that thing looks like a giant mosquito breeding puddle to me.

The picture is a bit deceiving. It would only have standing water in it for an hour or two while the pots soaked, most of the time would be dry.

Oh and I am in zone 5b at 5600ft, and very dry.

CommonShore posted:

I got a bunch of free 11l pails from an ice cream shop!

There is one down the street! Ill ask.

OSU_Matthew posted:

YMMV, but you should only need to water twice a week.

That is way less than I thought I would need to water. It is really dry out here in Colorado so I've been having to water the solo cups they are currently in every day.

Wrinkly leaves, calcium deficiency?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

goodness posted:

Wrinkly leaves, calcium deficiency?

I dont know if thats as big a deal for pepper plants. Maybe a bit dry, but my peppers at least seem to prefer being a little on the drier side.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

When should I be harvesting kale? I have a ton of plants and I'm not sure if I should be just plucking leaves as I go or if it's better to wait until each plant is in a big bunch and snip the entire thing at once.

For reference, this is about what my plants look like now.

Outer leaves are about the size my hand with the fingers outstretched.

Entire plant is about yea big.

A few summers ago we grew romaine and while we grabbed leaves off as needed, they eventually bolted and most of it became inedible. Hoping to avoid that if it's an issue. First time I'm trying any greens other than lettuce.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

goodness posted:

The picture is a bit deceiving. It would only have standing water in it for an hour or two while the pots soaked, most of the time would be dry.

I was thinking something like this:

With PVC pipe and pipe fittings, spouts hooked up to holes drilled in the bottom part of the bucket (like the homebrewing buckets with taps in them)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Quiet Feet posted:

When should I be harvesting kale? I have a ton of plants and I'm not sure if I should be just plucking leaves as I go or if it's better to wait until each plant is in a big bunch and snip the entire thing at once.

For reference, this is about what my plants look like now.

Outer leaves are about the size my hand with the fingers outstretched.

Entire plant is about yea big.

A few summers ago we grew romaine and while we grabbed leaves off as needed, they eventually bolted and most of it became inedible. Hoping to avoid that if it's an issue. First time I'm trying any greens other than lettuce.

All those leafy greens can be munched on regularly, itll grow back. Snip the big outer leaves and then cut out the big rib in the middle of each and you're set. Watch out for spikes

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So trying square foot gardening this year in a raised bed and so far so good. We cant hardly keep up with all of the romaine and butter lettuce the garden has been producing. And we've started to harvest some chives as well.

My question is how many people have used this method with tomato plants? I planted some purple cherokee indeterminates and I feel like they're going to get to big and crowd each other out. They already seem to be and they are just now starting to flower and fruit.

Do I need to drastically cut them back or should I just let them get crazy and try to harvest whatever I can get? I have been pruning suckers at least.

What do you have them supported on? Tomato cages / trellises / something else? Proper support makes all the difference in my opinion - making sure each branch getting enough sun and air lets them produce more reliably.

Tomatoes can be pretty crowded, although that makes fungal problems more likely to spread. But usually I end up giving mine 2' x 2' each, which in my 4x8 bed I can do two rows of four, and towards the end of the season it's a bit hard to tell where one ends and another begins, I've never noticed the crowding to cause diminished production. I use large (5' tall) tomato cages and initially try to keep each branch supported inside the cage, pruning the ones that I can't. Or at least I try to, towards July things just go a bit nuts. By that point I'm usually picking a few tomatoes per day, so I'm less obsessed with max production, as that's all I can reliably eat.

They also tend to grow less as they start to produce fruit. Mine have gone crazy in the last couple of weeks, reaching probably 2/3 of their final height, but have started to set fruit and will no doubt slow down.

Indeterminates can handle a ton of pruning.

If you like a youtube rabbit hole to go down, look into how some people train indeterminates into massive vining structures. There are a lot of people who just focus on tomato production that have made me realize that I'm simply not thinking big enough when it comes to tomatoes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Neon Noodle posted:

I was thinking something like this:

With PVC pipe and pipe fittings, spouts hooked up to holes drilled in the bottom part of the bucket (like the homebrewing buckets with taps in them)

Fancy. I like this idea, and I have a lot of pvc fittings from when I had a saltwater aquarium. Thanks for the idea.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have suggestions on a composter? My HOA has rules against open-air composting which is what I have done in the past so I'm thinking of getting one of those rotating barrel things from amazon.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there an organic pesticide that will kill the stink bugs on my tomatoes?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Spinosad will kill them but will also kill pollinators and other beneficial critters.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LLSix posted:

Anyone have suggestions on a composter? My HOA has rules against open-air composting which is what I have done in the past so I'm thinking of getting one of those rotating barrel things from amazon.

I have two black trash bins from home depot. One is the finishing compost, one is the current 'dump stuff in' bin. Works great, no smell

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Worms are great. Get red wigglers. Don’t get them from Uncle Jerry’s necessarily, when I ordered some they went nuts on arrival and started to make a break for it. It turned out a lot of them were a different species that doesn’t like being moved around.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

LLSix posted:

Here’s the one I built a few years ago from a 20$ Craigslist blue HDPE Drum:

I think I spent another 20-30 on hinges, L brackets to mix the contents, pvc pipe, and lumber for the frame. Wound up being more expensive than I’d anticipated, but it rolls easy and has held up better than I expected.

If I were to do things over I’d probably just do a lasagna method and alternate cardboard and greens in a static pile, maybe with a 10$ rubbermaid bin or drilled trash can or something.

Way less maintenance, and I could just add sheets of cardboard that way (instead of processing them down). Then you just hit it with a pitchfork every so often. Which, speaking of, I only recently learned that most cardboard is compostable—boxes in North America use soy based inks. So as long as you strip off the tape and labels, it’s a decent source of carbon in my otherwise nitrogen rich compost.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I forgot what gourd this is but I love it. It's growing very pretty.

Corn is looking big! This is my first garden. It's wild to me that you can take a potato or a corn kernel and plant it and it makes more of itself.
Potato flowers are coming up

Leaves on the butternut squash still look like they're getting chewed up but it's growing fast anyway.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I caved and bought buckets. Doing single this year, and either double bucket next or try out hydroponics.

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 22, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The adirondack blues are shedding their flowers. Getting closer to potato harvest! Also we will never run out of mint.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I harvested a bunch of spinach I planted as baby spinach, as I don't care for most mature spinaches, and maybe 20-25% of the leaves loved like this:

I cut out all the leaves with that white on them... Anything else I should do to prevent it from coming back?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's goin on with my bell peppers? It's been dry and hot and I haven't been great about watering regularly. Some of my squash have gotten blossom end rot from the irregular water-is this the same thing or something else entirely?

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Very happy with this corner of my rooftop. Peppers (birds eye and bell), lemon grass, squash, eggplant, amaranth, water spinach, and tomatoes. In the back there is the tree that popped out of an acorn I had forgotten about a couple years ago. As I mentioned a bit back I was worried about my container tomatoes but they have mostly recovered and the ones that were too far gone I was able to replace with suckers I had rooted. Also pleased with the amaranth because I wanted to grow this variety again this year but ran out of seed; thankfully it popped up all over the place like weeds.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This year I completely reorganised my raised beds, moving 90% of the soil and sieving most of it, pulling every potato I found out.

Repeat, I planted no potatoes and removed every one I found.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

goodness posted:

I caved and bought buckets. Doing single this year, and either double bucket next or try out hydroponics.

What does "double bucket" refer to in this context? Twice as high but with the same diameter? Just a second bucket so the first one doesn't feel lonely??

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

What does "double bucket" refer to in this context? Twice as high but with the same diameter? Just a second bucket so the first one doesn't feel lonely??

I imagine it's drilling holes in the bottom of half the buckets and nesting those in the undrilled buckets, then filling the undrilled buckets with water.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Congrats on your permanent potato garden!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

I imagine it's drilling holes in the bottom of half the buckets and nesting those in the undrilled buckets, then filling the undrilled buckets with water.

Yep, something like this. It makes it easy to bottom water as well as adding a hydroponic like function once the roots go down into it.

I've been seeing some incredible root pictures from kratky/dwc buckets which are really tempting me.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 22, 2020

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

goodness posted:

I've been seeing some incredible root pictures from kratky/dwc buckets which are really tempting me.

Welp time for me to :justpost: i guess

We decided to try a bunch of kratky stuff this spring and its been an experience. We started with bibb & red lettuceses--plus some oregano, basil & parsley---in mason jars, but they lived sad lives because I hosed the nutrient mixture up and didn't add any salt. Also, they might have boiled in the sun a few times after I brought them outside plus the cheapo LED grow-lamp I bought might not have helped anything either but who really knows? I don't think I was a huge factor in any of this tbh since its just the cosmos doing it's thing and all that. Anyways here's the family in happier times before they got put out:

I figured we learned enough from the mason jars that we were ready for more, so we picked up 2 large heavy-duty totes from home depot and I turned one into a place for 4 pepper plants (2 jalopeno + 2 serrano) and the other into a container for 4 tomato plants (2 cherry + 2 roma). IIRC they hold 20 gallons of water each and probably should be kept clean of debris and shits while you're getting things setup and breaking your fragile, limp wrists making sinfully ugly cuts by using a whole saw on a job where a box-cutter would have sufficed:

We ended up setting them on some bricks, for additional aesthetics, after discovering I can shove cedar stakes into their convenient holes to use as a hobo-trellis;

Eventually we moved them into the full sun & quickly realized they might be too close together and are competing for light

Here they are as of this afternoon;

& their roots:

(a keen eye will notice i tried to get slick and find a way around using a net-cup on one of the tomatoes but I p much stunted it's growth b/c it couldn't oxygenate its roots enough so gently caress me for that i guess)

& their roots:

Oh and here is a basil that survived being neglected;

Both totes are really taking off at this point and soon we're going to need to build the trellis up further to accommodate. The tomatoes are especially crowded lol so I should probably get around to doing something about it soon. I have a journal of my failures somewhere so I can keep track of how terrible I am at this, as well as having a space for sketching more bad ideas out, so hopefully there is more to come.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 23, 2020

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Found a little friend among the peas this morning.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Rad toad. We've got a disused pool in the backyard and don't want to pay to have it fixed, so right now it has several hundred tadpoles in it.

Can't wait to be a froglord

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Neon Noodle posted:

Rad toad. We've got a disused pool in the backyard and don't want to pay to have it fixed, so right now it has several hundred tadpoles in it.

Can't wait to be a froglord

For the love of your neighbors (and yourself) PLEASE tell me you put some mosquito poison in there?

Not sure if tadpoles eat mosquito larvae, but if they do, probably not enough.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Wally Joyner posted:

Welp time for me to :justpost: i guess

We decided to try a bunch of kratky stuff this spring and its been an experience.

I haven't heard about this, the goal is hydroponics
and to avoid planting in beds? Any other benefits? Looks interesting

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the love of your neighbors (and yourself) PLEASE tell me you put some mosquito poison in there?

Not sure if tadpoles eat mosquito larvae, but if they do, probably not enough.

Yeah, I'm using dunks and they're effective so far :shrug: There are also tons of water striders, damselflies, dragonflies, backswimmers, boatmen, diving beetles, and other friends. Oh and a duck who visits once per day to take a bath. :3:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 23, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Soaping my plants has done nothing to stop the aphid plague

They've moved on from my tomatoes to my broccoli and my radishes

Guess I'm gonna go to the greenhouse and see if I can get some ladybugs??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Today I learned that if you start messing with straw it gets loving everywhere.

Makes my garden look pretty though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Today I learned that if you start messing with straw it gets loving everywhere.

Makes my garden look pretty though.

Tractor Supply did me dirty this year. I ordered a bale for pickup, and they sold me one apparently meant for livestock food, as soon as I broke it apart seed heads started blowing all over my yard, and now my garden is infest with whatever they sold me :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just bought a packaged bale of "seeding straw" it at my Lowes this year for $10. Last year I used mulch to cut down on weeds/retain moisture and it helped but was kind of a mess and didn't break down fully over the winter and i just ultimately didn't like the experience. I remember people saying they used straw and it was cheaper so I thought I'd give it a try. And I think the color will make it easier to spot weeds that poke through or dirt that gets uncovered.

It will probably introduce me to new problems of some kind but whatever. That's gardening.