Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I have a hard time understanding it and only get like two thirds, but I have virtually no experience in listening to it either and come from a totally different dialect region to boot. A friend of mine who grew up 50km away from the border has absolutely no problems with it on the other hand and when she speaks dialect it sounds pretty similar to Lëtzebuergesch to my untrained ears

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do luxemburgers not play tag?

Also, out of curiosity, can germans understand luxemburgish? I think that's what it's called.

Not really, no. When I was in Luxembourg as a kid and someone tried to chat me up in Luxembourgish, I could just smile and nod sheepishly. When I now listen to it as an adult, it sounds like a Rhinelander doing an extremely racist impression of a French accent that is about 50% intelligible. That said, there's a dialect continuum where people from along the Mosel also sound kind of like that (and I probably couldn't really understand them either).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Quick dialect study before going to bed: I'm looking at the results of the Wenker survey (an extremely detailed late 19th century study on German dialects) for a random Luxemburg village (in this case Breidweiler), a German village right on the border (Biesdorf), the Eifel village my friend is from (Schalkenmehren) and just for fun a random Bavarian village too (Zillendorf in the Upper Palatinate region). I'll be transcribing the replies to the sentences 1, 10 and 33 each:

Standard German
  • Im Winter fliegen die trockenen Blätter in der Luft herum. (=In winter the dry leaves fly around through the air)
  • Ich will es auch nicht mehr wieder tun. (=I won't do it again)
  • Sein Bruder will sich zwei schöne neue Häuser in eurem Garten bauen. (=His brother wants to build two beautiful new houses in your garden)

Breidweiler
  • Am Wanter fléen de drechen Bléder an der Lôucht erem.
  • Ech woell et och net mé don!
  • Seï Bruoder welt sech zwè schener neuer Heiser an èrem Gard bauen.

Biesdorf
  • Amm Wanter flehen de drechn Bleder durch'd Lujt rem.
  • Ich well et och net me dohn.
  • Sei Broder well sich zwä sching nei Heiser an eierem Goart bauen.

Schalkenmehren
  • De Wunter flougen de trei Blädder dorch de Loft erim.
  • Ech well et och net mieh dohn.
  • Sei Broder wellt sich zwai schiener neuer Haiser unn eierem Goorde bauen.

Zillendorf
  • In Winta fluign dö truken Bladla en da Luft umanena.
  • I wils a nima thuan.
  • San Bruada wül sö zwoa schene nui Häßa in engan Goartn ban.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 23, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I just need to know why, in my corner of rural Australia at least, the name for the chasing game comes from northern Wales, while the name for the safe spot comes from... Munster? I don't even know how to make the umlaut appear.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I just need to know why, in my corner of rural Australia at least, the name for the chasing game comes from northern Wales, while the name for the safe spot comes from... Munster? I don't even know how to make the umlaut appear.

If it’s "Packs" it might be a rendering of Latin pax, 'peace' and thus might have developed independently

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Protip: In German (and German only, don't try this in other languages), if you don't know where to get an umlaut from it's acceptable to follow up the letter that was supposed to get an umlaut with an e instead. Muenster.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There were a lot of separate French languages and now there's French. There were a lot of separate German languages and now they're German. There were lot of Italian languages, and now they're all Italian. European languages were entirely defined by borders and war.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Protip: In German (and German only, don't try this in other languages), if you don't know where to get an umlaut from it's acceptable to follow up the letter that was supposed to get an umlaut with an e instead. Muenster.

Thanks, friend.

That’s ueber useful knowledge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Or just press the ¨-key and then the vowel. Lïkë sö.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Or just press the ¨-key and then the vowel. Lïkë sö.

The... the what key?

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's good to know!

System Metternich posted:

If it's "Packs" it might be a rendering of Latin pax, 'peace' and thus might have developed independently

It's tip for the game and bar for the safe zone. Come to think of it, "bar" really doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Moetly Cruee

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

The... the what key?

The ¨-key, right next to the å-key.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The keys of the perfidious Bavarian, no doubt.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ASAPRockySituation posted:

The keys of the perfidious Bavarian, no doubt.

Aha! Whereas I, a rugged colonial, use the sensible, civilised keys decreed by Queen Victoria herself.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

European languages were entirely defined by borders and war.

Checks out, Dutch and French are the exact same language as long as you're in Belgium.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There were a lot of separate French languages and now there's French. There were a lot of separate German languages and now they're German. There were lot of Italian languages, and now they're all Italian. European languages were entirely defined by borders and war.

Most of them still exist although it's true they are losing ground.

Interesting parallel to how all the Italic languages were replaced by Latin some two millennia ago I think. I wonder how many times similar consolidations took place in prehistory.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cebrail posted:

Belgium.

Dude, watch your language.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The ¨-key, right next to the å-key.

¨ is shift ^ and it's next to p and $ you finnish monster.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm glad Estonia has reached the pretty good countries club.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Luxembourg and the Netherlands are innovation leaders for tax fraud schemes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

Luxembourg and the Netherlands are innovation leaders for tax fraud schemes.
Germany ekes into the strong innovator category through its innovations in emission fraud.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

i love, that no one is a bad or nonexisent innovator.
Everyone is a winner.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany ekes into the strong innovator category through its innovations in emission fraud.

that's not fair, it's not all fraud. We also blatantly replace mostly clean energy (nuclear) with not quite as clean, but for some reason "green" energy (coal)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dr Sun Try posted:

that's not fair, it's not all fraud. We also blatantly replace mostly clean energy (nuclear) with not quite as clean, but for some reason "green" energy (coal)

coal isn't made of spooky scary atoms

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Byzantine posted:

I tucking hate atoms man. I hate them so much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Byzantine posted:

spooky scary nucleii
send shivers down your spine

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dr Sun Try posted:

Hey, that's not fair on Germany, they're also doing a lot in the hydrogen sector, and you don't get ‪‪CO2 emissions from burning hydrogen!

You get the emissions from creating it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I want you all to know I'm innovating so hard right now.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Dr Sun Try posted:

No, that's right wing propaganda. We're not "replacing" nuclear energy with coal energy, we're building as much coal energy as possible because it's profitable. No amount of nuclear power plants would have stopped Germany from also building coal power plants.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Note to thread: The Something Awful Forums owner is under credible accusations of being a family abuser, and is rapidly losing patreon supporters.

If there's anything you care about on the forums, back it up. If there's anyone you care about on the forums, find some offsite way to stay in contact with them. Just in case.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Would anyone be interested in a polmaps discord?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HookShot posted:

only if flags and charts are invited

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

only if flags and charts are invited

:agreed:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

HookShot posted:

Yes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HookShot posted:

anything to spare me from having to get maps content from the general d&d discord

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Badger of Basra posted:

anything to spare me from having to get maps content from the general d&d discord

What's the D&D discord?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kamrat posted:

What's the D&D discord?

See https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3929141

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Awesome thanks! :)