Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

excellent bird guy posted:

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago, among everything else. well almost everything, i have a lot of pedals that are in a box
edit: inside the black box beneath my computer table is a made in Germany Hohner Corona 2 (diatonic button accordion). That sucker is hard to play.

Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you like that Super Reverb? Obviously it's a really famous amp that sounds fantastic when it's dialed in at its perfect ear bleeding sweet spot, but does it also work well at low volumes? Or do you really need to juice it for it to sound good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
First trip to the pawns shops since March resulted in this

It went on the floor the day after the last time I was there and has been marked down three times since.One of the guys that works there made the comment that he wondered how long it would be before I bought it.

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago, among everything else. well almost everything, i have a lot of pedals that are in a box
edit: inside the black box beneath my computer table is a made in Germany Hohner Corona 2 (diatonic button accordion). That sucker is hard to play.

I see that Mako on top the Super Reverb

Not sure if anyone would agree, but they sound better than any cheap practice amp has a right to sound an the built-in Tube Screamer, er, Blaster, is a nice touch.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gotta juice the Super Reverb. Get a reactive loadbox.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Heh, this is fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

Heh, this is fun

What is that? I'm not sure if it's just the perspective but that looks like it has a tiny scale length (which really interests me because I have tiny hands).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It looks like a 6 string solidbidy ubass for don't reason...

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

homewrecker posted:

What is that? I'm not sure if it's just the perspective but that looks like it has a tiny scale length (which really interests me because I have tiny hands).

It is, as BonHair correctly diagnosed, a solid body 6-string u-bass. I don't need no "reasons", man -- well, OK, portability and silliness. The scale is 26" and it would definitely be suitable for the small-handed. There is also an 8-string option but my silliness is not completely unbounded.

I was expecting it to be tuned up a fourth, but no -- it's B to C.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Neat, I've personally never even heard of a u-bass until now. Looks like they'd be a lot of fun to play though, hope you enjoy it!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

here is the DX7 I bought a few days ago

Fire up BASS 1 patch and go play 80s hits. I only have a DX7 emulator but it may have been used to play Highway to the Danger Zone once or twice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Digital but still fun to tinker with.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

iospace posted:

Digital but still fun to tinker with.

Nice. I'm really liking the Walrus Descent I picked up. I guess I still need a second reverb at some point that does the more subtle reverb but I didn't quite expect that from a pedal with people finding a skeleton in a cave printed on the case anyway :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shugojin posted:

Nice. I'm really liking the Walrus Descent I picked up. I guess I still need a second reverb at some point that does the more subtle reverb but I didn't quite expect that from a pedal with people finding a skeleton in a cave printed on the case anyway :v:

Not gonna lie, a lot of what draws me to some pedals is the pedal art :v:

I put it in my effects loop with a DIY delay behind it. I also have a bit commander clone that's going straight into the amp, and it does WEIRD THINGS.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Finally replaced the strings on my Aerodyne bass after....a time.

The overall brightness is probably not great in a mix, but drat does it ever sound mean when I apply some dirt.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iospace posted:

Not gonna lie, a lot of what draws me to some pedals is the pedal art :v:

all pedals is aesthetics and anyone who tells you differently is l y i n g

the camera on my phone is broken but i got a cooper fx arcades; i don't love it as much as i thought i would

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

monolithburger posted:

Finally replaced the strings on my Aerodyne bass after....a time.

The overall brightness is probably not great in a mix, but drat does it ever sound mean when I apply some dirt.

These strings are so bitey. I used to use them on my Jazz before selling it, really nailed that gnarly Hellcat Records style punk bass tone for wholly unnecessary but totally awesome 16th note runs

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Why buy a Fender Lead II reissue when you can buy a 40 year old, Tokai-built, Made in Japan, Hondo Professional H-1051 for half the price in a better color.

Originally would have had single coils, now has a pair of Dimarzios. Three way selector switch, plus a phase switch which happily still works. Hondo called the color Screaming Yellow, but it's basically Fender's Graffiti Yellow. Ridiculously nice shape, just a few scuffs on the edges.

Goes well with my factory-striped Hondo H-1052 Lead 1 copy

Hondo never made a Lead III copy, and the bodies are only routed for a single coil in the neck, but I kind of want to throw one together if I can find a walnut, natural or sunburst version.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Declan MacManus posted:

all pedals is aesthetics and anyone who tells you differently is l y i n g

the camera on my phone is broken but i got a cooper fx arcades; i don't love it as much as i thought i would

This is so stupid. Like this is verifiably wrong but I’m not interested in doing the labor for you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is so stupid. Like this is verifiably wrong but I’m not interested in doing the labor for you.

why are you so mad? people like pedals that look neat, there’s nothing wrong with it, and it’s a big part of marketing (that is, selling people things with cool graphics on them)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fuctifino posted:

I can't stop buying instruments. I think I might have a problem...

A 17 note electric kalimba is my latest purchase (should be arriving by the end of the week). This purchase was inspired by the amazingly inspirational looper BinkBeats, who uses these in his huge looping rigs connected to various effects.

I realize this post is from 2018 but this thread moves slow

is this...a 17 key kalimba with an attachment so you can record the audio? :psyduck:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I feel like the first thing I would do with that is plug it into a fuzz pedal, maybe chain it through an octave drop effect first. Once I got bored with that, seems like an ideal instrument for a looper pedal

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hadlock posted:

I feel like the first thing I would do with that is plug it into a fuzz pedal, maybe chain it through an octave drop effect first. Once I got bored with that, seems like an ideal instrument for a looper pedal

You should definitely dig through Hainbach's channel on the Youtube then.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Declan MacManus posted:

why are you so mad? people like pedals that look neat, there’s nothing wrong with it, and it’s a big part of marketing (that is, selling people things with cool graphics on them)

It’s facile and wrong and it’s tedious to re-explain it so I won’t. I like aesthetics never said nothing about that.

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)

It rips.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Purty.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Very nice.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hi there, I've never posted in this thread but I wanted to show off something I just got a couple weeks ago:

Its dope. Its actually multi-scale but somehow I managed to photograph it so that the frets look straight. Between the weird neck shape (it has an odd box shape thats difficult to describe and didn't show up too well in pics) and the fan frets, I figured it would take some getting used to but it plays like a dream right from the second I picked it up. The previous owner replaced the pickups with bare knuckles, which sound great - really clear without being too bitey. My only complaint, really, is that the neck pickup is a bit too close to the strings so I occasionally find myself tapping the pickup cover, which is a little annoying. I'm going to see if I can adjust the height or even just remove the covers next time I change strings. Also the tuning knobs are really tight and close together making tuning a little uncomfortable. Fortunately, it stays in tune really well so its not a big deal.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Hi there, I've never posted in this thread but I wanted to show off something I just got a couple weeks ago:

I've heard a lot of talk about that general body shape and one of the strengths is supposedly that it feels just as good in classical position as it does in... "casual" position I guess it's called. Has that been something you've noticed?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The screws on either side don't raise/lower it?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

GreatGreen posted:

I've heard a lot of talk about that general body shape and one of the strengths is supposedly that it feels just as good in classical position as it does in... "casual" position I guess it's called. Has that been something you've noticed?

Yes! It actually fits well in a classical position and, in fact, it can rest against both legs comfortably in the concave sections if you have your left leg up.

Shugojin posted:

The screws on either side don't raise/lower it?

You know, I have no idea, I haven't tried. I'm not much of a guitar tech and I just assumed they were for removing the cover.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You know, I have no idea, I haven't tried. I'm not much of a guitar tech and I just assumed they were for removing the cover.

Give it a try. For any modern pickup what's going on is that that screw will raise or lower the pickup. Both BKP sets I've interacted with work this way.

I've run into one pickup that doesn't and it's a legit vintage gold foil, of the kind made with fridge magnets. It's on a true frankenstein guitar of old cheap bits that sounds really really good clean.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

It can go either way. Sometimes pickups like that are direct-mounted to the body and can't be altered, sometimes they're against small springs that allow them to be adjusted.

Try it! As long as you don't strip the screw you should find out pretty quickly if it can be lowered or not.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It's 99% alive.

GFS body and bridge pickup, Wilkinson bridge, WD neck with vintage tuners, CTS pots with a vintage-style switch, and a Fender Coronado pickup from 1966 in the neck. That one was made by Rowe Industries, who made pickups for Kay, Harmony, and Silvertone amongst others.

Now I am waiting for a Switchcraft jack, because the one I have does not fit the electrosocket I also bought. And also new neck screws, the ones I have were made of the finest pot metal and stripped themselves out. Hopefully I can still get them out to put the new ones in. I may also go back and file the nut slots a bit more, it's okay right now but I might be able to go a little lower. Total weight is 4 lbs 15 ounces, happily it is not neck heavy which I was afraid of.

One issue, the pickups are out of phase as wired, BUT the middle position is quacky and honky and awesome so I won't be changing it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's cool.
If you wanted to you could put the pot of phase setting on a switch or a push-pull pot to open up more sounds.
Did the body come finished like that?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Body was prefinished, looks like it's silkscreened rather than the old wallpaper under clear coat Fender used on the original Blue Floral guitars. Light body, but kind of lovely. Neck holes are off so the plate isn't straight, wood came out in chunks when cutting the pickup, and there are some issues with the finish where it must have sat on/ or bumped into something when still wet. I don't think it'll take much abuse, but it was also only around $60.

Maybe down the road I'll toss in a phase switch, but I really like what it's doing in the middle position right now. I also don't want to open it back up, managed to get the wiring in once, not sure it'll fit with an extra switch.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

It's 99% alive.

This is so cool, phase thing and all.

New gear poo poo: I ordered a Two-Notes Torpedo Captor X reactive load box/IR loader so I can record and play at a reasonable level (my current resistive load attenuator sounds... not great), except nobody has it. Most places say "pre-order." Anyone know if it was ever released in America? Looks like it got a European release already.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
So apparently I have a thing for red double cut Gretsch guitars with Bigsby trems.

One on the left is new impulse buy. Nearly half off because of a dime sized dent in the back that is deep enough to expose some of the wood through the finish. I might have to do something to keep the finish from continuing to crack and flake off, but other than that it seems fine.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

plerocercoid posted:

So apparently I have a thing for red double cut Gretsch guitars with Bigsby trems.

One on the left is new impulse buy. Nearly half off because of a dime sized dent in the back that is deep enough to expose some of the wood through the finish. I might have to do something to keep the finish from continuing to crack and flake off, but other than that it seems fine.

That one on the right is sexy as hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

gently caress yes.

My sweetwater rep got me a hella good deal. Brand spankin new Model 12 + a gig bag (it's a really lovely bag but whatever) for $615 after taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I bought a cheap Rhoads and have been bashing out Metallica riffs all day:

I've got a couple of these JS32 Jacksons now and they're surprisingly nice for the money, I'd definitely recommend them to anyone in the market for a budget metal guitar.
Now I just need to find a way to get the thing on a stand.