Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheHan posted:

But the 02 kids have gotta at least put on a good show right

They are legitimately the best part

They commit crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Wasn't Kizuna super well received by Japanese audiences?

It got third place, but it's also the newest movie so it has that hype going for it. From what I've seen commentary-wise, Japanese audiences preferred it to Tri but didn't exactly love it. Not to mention how Kakudou literally walked out on it because he couldn't deal with how wrong they got the world he built in Adventure, which isn't exactly a great thing to have your movie be known for.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Wasn't Kizuna super well received by Japanese audiences?

Given that the 02 epilogue is still canon, the ending falls flat from an emotional standpoint for me. I fully expect another movie starring the 02 kids where they fix everything after this.

From what I’ve read on a few Japanese sites they seem to like it a lot for the most part. I wonder if the reception will be heavily split between Japan and Western audiences.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nodosaur posted:

They are legitimately the best part

They commit crimes

Alright let's supercut it, set it to All My Best Friends are Metalheads and throw it on youtube, I ain't gotta see the rest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not to mention how Kakudou literally walked out on it because he couldn't deal with how wrong they got the world he built in Adventure, which isn't exactly a great thing to have your movie be known for.
Ouch.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

It got third place, but it's also the newest movie so it has that hype going for it. From what I've seen commentary-wise, Japanese audiences preferred it to Tri but didn't exactly love it. Not to mention how Kakudou literally walked out on it because he couldn't deal with how wrong they got the world he built in Adventure, which isn't exactly a great thing to have your movie be known for.

To be fair what he said was that it didn’t fit with the setting he created, which is the same thing he said about all of the past movies (including the original and Our War Game). Not to mention his own vision is kind of weird (Digimon existed before computers, are the second part of your soul, partners die when you do, etc).

His ideas are certainly interesting but I don’t think his words and leaving the project are quite the indictment people make it out to be. You could even argue that his vision doesn’t quite fit with the show he actually ended up making as he included Omegamon and (some version of) Roy’s games. Ryo specifically and explicitly excluded when he talks about the number of chosen children and how that whole system works.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

To be fair what he said was that it didn’t fit with the setting he created, which is the same thing he said about all of the past movies (including the original and Our War Game). Not to mention his own vision is kind of weird (Digimon existed before computers, are the second part of your soul, partners die when you do, etc).

His ideas are certainly interesting but I don’t think his words and leaving the project are quite the indictment people make it out to be. You could even argue that his vision doesn’t quite fit with the show he actually ended up making as he included Omegamon and (some version of) Roy’s games. Ryo specifically and explicitly excluded when he talks about the number of chosen children and how that whole system works.

See, I actually like the idea that Digimon existed before computers. And if you go full bore into partner Digimon and such that you had in Adventure, it kind of makes sense for that to be a thing.

In Adventure, the Digital World wasn't COMPUTER WORLD, it was a parallel reality born from electronic impulses rather than organic material. Basically exactly what it says, a digital world. That fits Adventure which is way more fantasy-esque and such than Tamers or the like.

I'm not sure what his issues with Our War Games was, but including Ryo probably didn't come down to him. Including Omnimon DEFINITELY wouldn't have come down to him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Except what he got angry for was likely a literal contradiction to what was already shown, that you reach X age and boom, no Digimon. Which, again, contradicts what 02 itself showed with Oikawa and Pipimon, nevermind the entire 02 epilogue which the people behind this drat movie confirmed is still canon, plus it just feels terrible in general as an idea.

Kakudou may have his issues but ultimately he has a pretty strong idea of what the Adventure world should be, and he's right in leaving this mess of a project.

Burkion posted:

I'm not sure what his issues with Our War Games was, but including Ryo probably didn't come down to him. Including Omnimon DEFINITELY wouldn't have come down to him.

I know he disliked the Taichi/Sora shipping in the movie since he was very much against that, because he didn't want to follow the idea that the hero and the leading girl must always end up together. Which would've worked better if he pushed Yamato/Sora a bit harder, but ultimately he was right in going against that trope.

Too bad he's the only one that gave a poo poo and Tri instead gave us a forced, lovely, unfulfilling plot hole of a love triangle.

In other news, we have the investigation on the Nightmare Soldiers now (more in the thread as per usual)
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1275278957798187009

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 23, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is there any proof that’s why Kakudou walked off? Cuz I can’t find a source that identifies a specific plot point as the reason.

Like I hate that part too, but I don’t like misinformation.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It was in his twitter timeline apparently.

The closest is a tweet of his which was translated by With The Will:

quote:

About the new Digimon project. I've been asked to work on it, as a successive piece, as the director of the screenplay and I've been working on it since last year. However when the producers side-approved a submitted plot which I thought was incompatible with what the TV series had already established, I declared my resignation. From what I've heard of progress reports, they've decided to keep going with it still, so I definitely resign.

I don't believe he's ever said what exactly he felt was "incompatible with what the TV series had already established", but that's still about the harshest I've seen someone in the modern anime industry be.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, he's talking about the plot, so I guess the writing is kind of on the wall, there. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, he names nothing specific, (though I assume he was under an NDA because duh), and he still frames it as a difference of opinion, but that tweet remains about as damning as I've ever seen anime production twitter be.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, I'm also fine with disagreeing with him about certain things. Like, bringing up stuff he did that wasn't great isn't going to make me disagree with the things he did that were.

Do I prefer Tai and Sora as a ship compared to Sora and Matt? Sure but that's because Tai and Sora interact far, far more until season 2. Sora and Joe have more to do with each other until season 2. Season 1 wasn't even very romance-y, that didn't creep in until season 2 and Our War Games before it.

That introduction of romance stuff is what makes some one go back to the earlier season and see what would make more sense. Matt and Sora, until Emo Cave, have almost nothing to do with one another. So I can respect not wanting the main guy and main girl getting together but they didn't do it in the best way.

Similarly I do think it's kind of bullshit that the Digimon dies with the partner and not the other way around, but if it was mutual I'd be fine with it. It'd just be a further escalation of stakes- though even with that, you could have a caveat. Looking at how Adventure works, it could be less that the Digimon dies with the partner, and more that the Digimon cannot be reborn without the partner. Angemon dies but is reborn because TK is there- if TK died, say, then Angemon would still be alive but he couldn't be reborn if/when he later died.

That would fit better I think and ring a bit truer with the universe they established.

But by and large I respect him even when I disagree with some of his ideas, and him straight up quitting the project should have meant something to Toei. But, of course, it didn't.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just. Tri was a new team, with a new take on things, so that explains why they made some of the decisions they made, if not directly excusing them.

Kizuna is made by people who worked on the original series, who contributed to the ending of the series. So that comes off as more egregious than anything Tri faltered on, in my opinion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Just. Tri was a new team, with a new take on things, so that explains why they made some of the decisions they made, if not directly excusing them.

Kizuna is made by people who worked on the original series, who contributed to the ending of the series. So that comes off as more egregious than anything Tri faltered on, in my opinion.

Yeah we're in agreement on this.

The fact that this is billed as the Last Adventure Movie, then introduces a plot element that is completely at odds with the actual plot of Adventure and then also goes out of its way to say that the season 2 epilogue is still canon

Like we've talked about this before- the kids losing their Digimon at a certain age is utter nonsense and doesn't work even in universe because Joe still has Gomamon. And not only is he physically older, but he's also the most mature of the group and always has been.

But if that wasn't bad enough, at least they could sweep it back under the rug it came from- nope. Instead it ends on sequel bait garbage for a conclusion that we've known about since March 25, 2001

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are other problems with the movie; i.e. that no one matters unless they're Taichi and Yamato, the girls are treated horribly (Sora is well known by now, Mimi is the first of the original eight to fall victim to the consciousness robbing plot, and Hikari gets used as a hostage... albeit, along with Takeru, but by this point the girls getting used like this is a trend), the final fight is one sided and not very interesting, and the villain is way too similar to Himekawa in terms of motivation.

The movie's one saving grace is the 02 kids being handled well and it probably being the best animated Digimon product since the Savers film. That movie is mindless fluff, but it doesn't stomp all over a bunch of beloved characters.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This is pretty much the only good anime forum and I’ve had some of the best times of my life on SA so I’ll stick around until the site goes down, but I’ll be damned if I’m giving a single cent again.

I actually ended up going on a deep dive into Japanese Digimon sites about Adventure related stuff out of boredom and curiosity last night and was gonna make a big post about it but maybe now isn’t the time...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, that was in bad taste.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 24, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Sounds pretty lovely to announce your intentions to ignore the site owner beating people when you could've said nothing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheHan posted:

Sounds pretty lovely to announce your intentions to ignore the site owner beating people when you could've said nothing.

You know what, good point. Removed.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So we’re getting some kind of announcement tomorrow for the 23rd anniversary of the original vpet. My guess is it’s about the reboot Digivice since preorders open tomorrow, but who knows.

Edit: Guess it's just a re-release of the version 20th v-pet. Oh well.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The line up for the new Digivice has Ofanimon as Hikari's Ultimate/Mega.

I for one am appalled.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The line up for the new Digivice has Ofanimon as Hikari's Ultimate/Mega.

I for one am appalled.

please be falldown mode please be falldown mode

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

You know it's not. Sadly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

It's not, this isn't a text thing, we have images.

Please just choose one drat Mega already

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wish the modern v-pets got English releases :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

jivjov posted:

The 20th anniversary one did

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

The 20th anniversary one did

poo poo i must've managed to miss that. Hopefully the re-release comes to america too

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

jivjov posted:

They're all in English except for the Digimon names anyway. You can order a Pendulum Z through an intermediary right now and it won't cost you too too terribly much.

Don't look at how much the other modern vpets cost to get now, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cute anniversary art showing the very first Digimon ever given to the public. It all started here, 23 years ago!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1276350462191681537

DigiPoll #3 is also out, on who's the cutest and deserves a plushie. It should be Offmon though, bad taste.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1276429134877638657

Less official, Mitamamon's evolution sequence leaked, and we can see that it's a silly wheeled dragon. It also confirms what everyone expected, it's Kudamon's Mega for ReArise. This basically confirms that the Digimon who don't have Megas yet will get new Digimon for them, so we should get new Megas for the Plotmon, Hackmon, and maybe Lopmon lines.
https://twitter.com/KentLoo1/status/1276334951181385735

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently that cutest Digimon poll might have gotten rigged by the Latin American fandom which is why both Dorumon and Dorimon got so high, supposedly not the first time they've manipulated the polls, the one that resulted in Minervamon X was apparently another one(supposedly they thought it would result in something resembling Mervamon rather than the design we did get)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
(that's not a wheel, that's a shimenawa)

e: really? We can never forgive them, then.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 26, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently that cutest Digimon poll might have gotten rigged by the Latin American fandom which is why both Dorumon and Dorimon got so high, supposedly not the first time they've manipulated the polls, the one that resulted in Minervamon X was apparently another one(supposedly they thought it would result in something resembling Mervamon rather than the design we did get)

They got what they loving deserved

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Emong posted:

They're all in English except for the Digimon names anyway. You can order a Pendulum Z through an intermediary right now and it won't cost you too too terribly much.

Don't look at how much the other modern vpets cost to get now, though.

Oh yeah? I thought the menus and such were all in japanese. Hell yeah, time to order a digital pet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

They got what they loving deserved

A lot of it is just racism, but stuff like that is definitely part of why many Spanish speaking fandoms are despised over on 4chan, apparently a lot of them do crazy poo poo like that and in general act like dicks on a regular basis

But again mostly racism

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

A lot of it is just racism, but stuff like that is definitely part of why many Spanish speaking fandoms are despised over on 4chan, apparently a lot of them do crazy poo poo like that and in general act like dicks on a regular basis

But again mostly racism

Spanish speaking anime fandoms are, first and foremost, anime fandoms

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look, if I get a huggable plushie Dorimon out of this, all will have been worth it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

thetoughestbean posted:

Spanish speaking anime fandoms are, first and foremost, anime fandoms

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
If anyone's interested in the Reboot Digivice Premium Bandai's American store has them up for preorder: https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2532982001001

$98 to preorder, $10 shipping and ships out in Feburary 2021. Product is the same as the japanese version, but they'll put english instructions on their site when the time comes. I'm pretty surprised they're doing this, but it is Adventure, I guess. I hope they'll do the Z's too.