Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Charles Dickens posted:

In seasons of pestilence, some of us will have a secret attraction to the disease--a terrible passing inclination to die of it.

The full quote is below but the above about sums up 2020 for us, all the way back in the 19th century.

Charles Dickens posted:

Similarly, though with a subtle difference, a species of fervour or intoxication, known, without doubt, to have led some persons to brave the guillotine unnecessarily, and to die by it, was not mere boastfulness, but a wild infection of the wildly shaken public mind. In seasons of pestilence, some of us will have a secret attraction to the disease—a terrible passing inclination to die of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im thankful that I have this space to post in with other people who are taking this seriously. thanks everyone :)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The full quote is below but the above about sums up 2020 for us, all the way back in the 19th century.

he wasn't wrong!

i like that i can say my idiot coworkers are way too proud to be able to die for a job is Dickensian as gently caress

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

zer0spunk posted:

has the person who randomly asks if we're all dead yet every now and then asked if we're all dead yet, yet

i think they're dead

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dee eight posted:

i think they're dead

it's you now

this is your job, this is your mission

we're all counting on you for this

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
are we dead yet?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dee eight posted:

are we dead yet?

fuckin' nailed it. i'll expect this level of performance every 40 pages

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Man that last page was a doozy.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://nationalpost.com/news/most-canadians-want-border-with-u-s-to-remain-closed-for-now-poll-says

83% of Canadians want the border to stay closed, and this article is 6 weeks old before you guys exploded AGAIN.

Remember without the border and trade it cripples the Canadian economy.

Yet here we are not saying hurrrrrrr economy 1st!

So uhh, no insult intended my Amerigoons, but why is your country so loving stupid?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

stab posted:

[url]

So uhh, no insult intended my Amerigoons, but why is your country so loving stupid?

we don't really put money into education as any sort of priority if you want to boil it down to a real quick easy answer

if you want to understand america, toss on any episode of man vs food where crowds cheer on someone trying to consume their body weight in chopped beef and not die on camera

on the flipside though the first like 10 or 12 seasons of the simpsons* were pretty good, so don't say we didn't do nothin' for the world (*animation may or may not have been done in SEA)

tell our story stab

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

stab posted:

https://nationalpost.com/news/most-canadians-want-border-with-u-s-to-remain-closed-for-now-poll-says

83% of Canadians want the border to stay closed, and this article is 6 weeks old before you guys exploded AGAIN.

i think it has to do with our whole country being built on native peoples burial grounds. have you ever seen poltergeist. imagine that but like everywhere

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

zer0spunk posted:

we don't really put money into education as any sort of priority if you want to boil it down to a real quick easy answer

if you want to understand america, toss on any episode of man vs food where crowds cheer on someone trying to consume their body weight in chopped beef and not die on camera

on the flipside though the first like 10 or 12 seasons of the simpsons* were pretty good, so don't say we didn't do nothin' for the world (*animation may or may not have been done in SEA)

tell our story stab

first ten seasons of simpsons, the writers were nearly entirely composed of harvard grads. if you want to know what the american elite thinks of middle america, watch simpsons seasons 1 to 8

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i think it has to do with our whole country being built on native peoples burial grounds. have you ever seen poltergeist. imagine that but like everywhere

Same here man but we aren't cramming beaches full when 9000 people in your shitwater state is getting Covid per day like what the gently caress where are the brains

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This kind of statistic can be horribly depressing out of context, it's important to remember most people who catch COVID won't get tested (long lines, symptoms manageable or non-existent, etc). The disease itself doesn't have a 5% kill rate.

It's still a terrible virus, but imagining a 1 in 20 chance of dying is absolutely terrifying so I wanna clarify.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

bob dobbs is dead posted:

first ten seasons of simpsons, the writers were nearly entirely composed of harvard grads. if you want to know what the american elite thinks of middle america, watch simpsons seasons 1 to 8

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
At what point do I give up and turn my attention fully to my craft and fitness while I wait for society to swing back? I feel like I am about at the end of what I can realistically do to help anyone by paying attention. My wife and I have donated two months of our income to food banks and have left the woods literally twice since the first case in our state. I just keep staring at news feeds and people being dumb, but my brain is telling me it's time to turn off my monitor.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

bob dobbs is dead posted:

And they were dead on 100% accurate

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Co-founder of Maryland group that protested for state to reopen tests positive for coronavirus

quote:

"I did have a hard day yesterday. I told you guys I wasn't feeling really well. I crashed later in the day, had to go to the emergency room. I thought I was actually having a stroke ... turns out I had Covid," he said in the video, continuing later: "As you can see, I'm not dying. It's uncomfortable. I would make it akin to having the flu."

Lol I think this guy is actually trying to still minimize COVID

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

stab posted:

There are several things happening here-

-There is no real federal response to this virus, and there hasn't been at all this whole time. The Feds have not only given the states limited guidance as to what they should be doing, but on a bunch of occasions they have been actively interfering with states getting needed medical equipment and masks.
-At the state and local level, while there was some eventual success in locking down in most areas initially, some never did. Certain places like NYC did it too late and the hospitals got overwhelmed.
-States reopened too soon under pressure from right-wing groups and businesses
-States have also reopened too fast without really listening to health officials. A lot of public health officials have either resigned in protest or been fired because they were not saying the 'right' things about the spread of the virus
-People are not wearing masks
-People are basically being told by their leaders that things are back open, so things are effectively 'normal'.
-Now we're running into the problem of state/local leaders being too afraid to start locking down again because either it's a political concern or they are afraid it's going to mess up the economy more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Just an average flu season wherein I go to emergency room and believe I'm having a stroke.

That time of the year, you know.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Antigravitas posted:

I'm not clicking on a yahoo link, but "zombie cells" are how viruses propagate in general, so…eh?

That link just means it's on the Yahoo news aggregator, news.yahoo.com. It doesn't mean the source is impeachable, but is comparable to clicking a Google News AMP link.

(guy who still had news.yahoo.com as his homepage)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hazo posted:

And they were dead on 100% accurate

theres a failson section of the american elite but there is also a did-their-own-work portion of the american elite who are hella competent

story of the simpsons is largely a story of the writers table going from the second section to the first section.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
News just in: world is a gently caress

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

This kind of statistic can be horribly depressing out of context, it's important to remember most people who catch COVID won't get tested (long lines, symptoms manageable or non-existent, etc). The disease itself doesn't have a 5% kill rate.

It's still a terrible virus, but imagining a 1 in 20 chance of dying is absolutely terrifying so I wanna clarify.

You can only get statistics from the numbers reported. Yes, many more people may be infected that we don't know about, but you can't draw assumptions here. You HAVE to use the validated numbers. Made up hand waving numbers do not belong in any place in this - good or bad. Of what we have seen the fatality rate has always been around 5% and higher the older you get as much as 15%.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile let's check in on the re-opening of Trader Joe's and see how people are adapting to their new "masks only" rule

https://twitter.com/ItsRellzWorld/status/1276689889119989761

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

im thankful that I have this space to post in with other people who are taking this seriously. thanks everyone :)

Happy to be posting with my bros at the end of the world.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Me too! Hell yeah!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Philthy posted:

You can only get statistics from the numbers reported. Yes, many more people may be infected that we don't know about, but you can't draw assumptions here. You HAVE to use the validated numbers. Made up hand waving numbers do not belong in any place in this - good or bad. Of what we have seen the fatality rate has always been around 5% and higher the older you get as much as 15%.

Yeah all of this is true, just wanted to post that because it's easy to get overwhelmed and distressed by a number as huge as 5% and the full context is important.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

smoobles posted:

It’s been explained a couple of times, but it’s still crazy that if you get sick enough to test positive... you’re kinda already in the bad column

I’m more worried about the hospital bill, or getting long term damage, or my older relatives getting it, and any combination of the above

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile let's check in on the re-opening of Trader Joe's and see how people are adapting to their new "masks only" rule

https://twitter.com/ItsRellzWorld/status/1276689889119989761

Apparently she did this on purpose!

https://twitter.com/antoniodivine/status/1276929325414199296

https://twitter.com/debfoster27/status/1276948153057644544

naem
May 29, 2011

naem posted:

are we all dead yet

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im playing dead and its working

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I’ve seen this episode a gorillian times and I never noticed homer up front lol.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently she did this on purpose!

Yeah quite a lot of them that end up getting filmed do it on purpose, the stores usually offer them alternatives (online ordering, tell us what you want right now and we'll go get it for you, etc) but they just keep screaming

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

stab posted:

Our brains are all clogged with Busch light and pork rind residue.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/richdavisphd/status/1276629360212979712?s=21

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now cough on the constitution.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

-States have also reopened too fast without really listening to health officials. A lot of public health officials have either resigned in protest or been fired because they were not saying the 'right' things about the spread of the virus

Some may have resigned in protest, but in the :lol: America category, others have resigned because armed “no-mask” people swarmed their homes to protest the medical guidance that they were providing

As someone who went to school for molecular biology, I understand all this and have explained this in the past to people. But, if it’s anything like my conversations go, good loving luck trying to explain any of that to the mouth breathing idiots you’re trying to reach.

Like, educated people can understand what this guy is trying to say and have already realized the need for masks, but the problem is most no-maskers are so broke brained or just plain morons unable to comprehend logic. You can’t put this out there and expect them to understand it.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 28, 2020

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Philthy posted:

It is not nearly 5%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

Some may have resigned in protest, but in the :lol: America category, others have resigned because armed “no-mask” people swarmed their homes to protest the medical guidance that they were providing

As someone who went to school for molecular biology, I understand all this and have explained this in the past to people. But, if it’s anything like my conversations go, good loving luck trying to explain any of that to the mouth breathing idiots you’re trying to reach.

Like, educated people can understand what this guy is trying to say and have already realized the need for masks, but the problem is most no-maskers are so broke brained or just plain morons unable to comprehend logic. You can’t put this out there and expect them to understand it.

the germ theory of disease is just like, a theory man